Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

japtor posted:

Related to this, video showing the tourney settings/options:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWn0FD_M5_o

I'm thinking it might be able to be set up like the MK7 communities (...but hopefully actually working better) where we can play goons with just the single tournament code.

Oh wow! I actually haven't played Mario Kart 7 so all this stuff is completely new to me. Being able to set the time, day and frequency of tournaments is a fantastic feature! :monocle:

e: Once more for the Page 5 crowd

JordanKai posted:

:siren:GOON LIST:siren:

So, seeing as we're all going to want to play with each other on launch we're all going to need one another's Nintendo Network IDs. In order to keep the thread from getting cluttered, I decided to make a Google form for it. Here it is! If you guys think I should add anything else to the form feel free to say so!

Here's the spreadsheet with all the sign-ups. Let's see if we can get a 64-man goonvitional tournament going on Day 1! :rice:

CaptainYesterday do you think you could add this to the OP in some form?

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I have a Wii U arriving sometime around Mario Kart's launch. Since NNID is now somewhat linked between systems, can I add people on my 3DS before it arrives?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Who wants impressions?

Went by Gamestop to try it out (had stuff to pick up around it anyway) and my hype went way back down to "reality".
I played as Luigi in all the basic stuff and started on Cloudtop Cruise and afterwards played on Electrodome. The first thing that got me aside from the fantastic visuals and 60fps was that the control mapping was super awkward to me. A is the acceleration and B was the rearview mirror, X/Y didn't seem to be used at all and items/tricks/drifting were all tied to the triggers of the gamepad.

I'm pretty sure it was set to 50cc or 100cc but the AI seemed to be ontop of things anyway and managed to keep up which... wasn't too impressive seeing as I drifted off the road a few times. Drifting is officially loving weird, I really don't know what they did to it or if it was just me or what but it seemed like sometimes my kart would make wide sweeping swings into walls despite my best effort or it would twist around too fast and drive me into another wall. It didn't feel that good at all but I'm willing to bet it's due to me not getting good grasp on the controls.

I'm also unsure if it's because holy poo poo new tracks!! Or the fact that they only let you do 2 laps in the demo but it felt really short. Cloudtop seemed to end right when I was getting into it and Electrodome felt like it was long but on the second lap I was crossing the finish line as if it somehow moved forward to meet me.

The best thing I could say to describe it is... it's another Mario Kart I guess, I didn't expect F-Zero or anything but it really feels exactly like 7 to me but with really odd drifting. Oh and Lakitu doesn't recover you any faster. When I fell off the road in CC he appeared but he took just about the same amount of time as any other game it felt.

It's going to be a good game and I'm still super pumped to get more time with it but its not QUITE the blowaway magical experience I guess I was expecting.

Edit: Also may be because it's a demo but there is no reward ceremony like other games either. The placement menu after a race pops up and a gold trophy just slides next to it with YOU WON!! at the top of the screen.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 18, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Dugong posted:

I have a Wii U arriving sometime around Mario Kart's launch. Since NNID is now somewhat linked between systems, can I add people on my 3DS before it arrives?

Unfortunately not. Even with NNID now being in use on the 3DS it still only lets you add friends using friend codes. You'll have to wait until you get a Wii U to add everyone. :(

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Who wants impressions?

MY HYPE NOOO

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Oh well, thanks for the response. One day Nintendo will catch up on online stuff and it will be glorious.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Odd drifting.

What kart/bike were you using? Some of the bikes have inside drifting which I find awkward. The drifting for most karts felt exactly like 7 though for me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SeANMcBAY posted:

What kart/bike were you using? Some of the bikes have inside drifting which I find awkward. The drifting for most karts felt exactly like 7 though for me.

As I said I was using the basic stuff, basic frame, basic wheels, basic glider as well as Luigi.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
I played it to, and that's basically what I took away from it too. It wasn't the best game ever, but the visuals were fantastic, the courses were all really interesting and I had a lot of fun playing. The demo is 8 tracks at 100cc, so it wasn't exactly hard, but it definitely left me looking forward to it being released.

Oh yeah, and drifting in karts felt fine to me, but I could not figure out bikes for the life of me.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Seeing as how there are non-Americans signing up, I suggest the Goon Cup be delayed until the 31st of May, at 8PM GMT (3PM EST), so we could get as many people from around the world to race online at the same time.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
My NNID is JonnyTheBrit. Celebrating the launch by way of goon tournament would be utterly awesome.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
I had apparently forgotten what MKWii inside drifting felt like after having only played 7 in recent times with wide swing drift karts only. Managed to embarrass myself in front of the guy manning the store at the time because he finally came up to watch and my dumb rear end went and picked the sport bike on toad harbor. Cue me suddenly looking incompetent as poo poo even though my first race and the few past that went off without incident.

Aside from the stuff 7 didn't have, it felt pretty much exactly like 7. Or at least I guess, it was locked to only 50cc it felt like.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

For anyone who doesn't watch The Final Bosman, he made a short little clip about the Mario Kart 'lore' that I thought was clever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc9DH_tVI8Y&t=534s

mtr
May 15, 2008
Haven't really used the NNID stuff before, is there an option to add friends on the miiverse.nintendo.net website? Or is the only option to search users on the Wii U itself and request friends? I just went ahead and requested everyone I could that was on the Google doc.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Do we have to trade NNIDs again? Aren't there communities now? I could have sworn MK3DS supported custom communities--one of them being a goon community.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Argue posted:

Do we have to trade NNIDs again? Aren't there communities now? I could have sworn MK3DS supported custom communities--one of them being a goon community.
It depends on how the tournament stuff works. From the video I linked earlier it looks kinda like it might work similarly (single code to join) but with more options, but until we know about it for sure it's just a hunch.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I just played for an hour at Gamestop and this is basically the best game. Videos didn't prepare me for how goddamn fluid the game is, even in two player split screen. Toad Harbor is an insanely good track.

It should still be going on until 4pm your local time at any Gamestop with a Wii U demo unit, and Mario Kart Stadium, Water Park, Mario Circuit, Sweet Sweet Canyon, Toad Harbor, Electrodome, Cloudtop Cruise, and Sunshine Harbor are the playable tracks, two laps with a lower speed, either 50 or 100cc, not sure exactly which.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

deadwing posted:

It should still be going on until 4pm your local time at any Gamestop with a Wii U demo unit, and Mario Kart Stadium, Water Park, Mario Circuit, Sweet Sweet Canyon, Toad Harbor, Electrodome, Cloudtop Cruise, and Sunshine Harbor are the playable tracks, two laps with a lower speed, either 50 or 100cc, not sure exactly which.

Hold on, 2 laps? Is that the new standard for Grand Prix or something?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

JordanKai posted:

Hold on, 2 laps? Is that the new standard for Grand Prix or something?

Naw, that's just the demo limitation.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Drifting is officially loving weird, I really don't know what they did to it or if it was just me or what but it seemed like sometimes my kart would make wide sweeping swings into walls despite my best effort or it would twist around too fast and drive me into another wall. It didn't feel that good at all but I'm willing to bet it's due to me not getting good grasp on the controls.
I didn't have this problem at all. I drifted off the course once, and that was in Electrodome, even though I was using a different set every single time (though I played with Yoshi for all except one race). I really liked how much drifting would change up between setups, and I could see that some types of drifting were obviously better for some courses than others. I found it really interesting how certain bikes had some sort of outside-then-inside drifting. Having played so much MKWii, I wasn't prepared for it at first, but I got used to it really quick and managed to make it work.

deadwing posted:

I believe the demos are up all day, but the Nintendo rep will only be there from 12-4 pm (I went at 4:30 or so). And it's 100cc, says so on the course intro.

Anyway, impressions. The thing that stood out most to me was how hilariously easy the whole thing was (especially considering how much I'd seen journalists struggle in their hands-on videos). I got first on every single race except the one on Cloudtop Cruise (which was also the only race where I got blue shelled AND IT WAS RIGHT NEAR THE END BABY DAISY WHY). As a result, I really didn't get to play with any of the new items except for the boomerang. I was actually planning to do a race where I'd start off in last to see if I could manage, but it totally slipped my mind. I also found myself kinda' wishing that they'd picked out some classic courses instead of all new ones for the demo, but they were all good anyway, so I don't mind.

Honestly, for how insanely easy it was, I really enjoyed myself. Gorgeous, fun tracks - I can't wait to play on them with opponents that are actually challenging.

e; There's one thing I forgot: I don't know exactly why, but the music for final laps gets me far more hyped than usual in this game.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 18, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I'm still pretty hype for this, NNID is Kabanaw and I'm in US Eastern time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tried the demo kiosk yesterday, basically feels like it will be "more Mario Kart with better music/graphics/pimp truck options" and I'm great with that. The game looks and sounds loving cool as hell, new tracks seem like they'll be really fun. Tried out Roy with a bigwheel pimpmobile; my girlfrend beelined straight for Waluigi with a squirrel chute. Customization in cars looks like there will be more options, not entirely sure if that's true but I dig the new cars.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

The Badwagon is one sweet ride.

Timall
Dec 20, 2008
On my mobile and can't add to the Google doc. NNID is Timall and timezone is GMT +8. Adding literally everyone because my Wii U is relatively new and I don't have any friends yet :(

Edit: must have used the wrong link to add to the doc I'm sorry

Timall fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 19, 2014

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
NNID is Calaveron. I love this soundtrack and I am completely cool with Nintendo just making jazzy music for all of their games from now on.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Since I appear to have confused more than one person so far: the goonlist itself cannot be edited by anyone but me.

If you want to add your NNID to the list you have to use :siren:THIS FORM!:siren:

All I wanted to do was protect the spreadsheet from griefers! :saddowns:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 19, 2014

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I added all you nerds who added me, so keep adding me nerds. I wanna race already.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

JordanKai posted:

Since I appear to have confused more than one person so far: the goonlist itself cannot be edited by anyone but me.

If you want to add your NNID to the list you have to use :siren:THIS FORM!:siren:

All I wanted to do was protect the spreadsheet from griefers! :saddowns:

I used your sweet form to sign up.

Went to Gamestop tonight to play the demo, their Wii U demo station was broken. Ah well, two weeks isn't that long of a wait.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren:

So, seeing as the old NNID thread isn't being updated any more, I decided to repurpose the Mario Kart 8 goonlist as a general NNID goonlist instead. I also made a new NNID thread to go along with this! If you used the form to sign up previously, please go here and add all the games you're interested in playing online to the spreadsheet.

mtr
May 15, 2008
I'm trying to preorder at Best Buy to get the $10 gas card and every store near me shows pickup as "unavailable". Am I trying to do this too late online? Is the Target $5 gift card my next best option for preorder deals?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its really loving lame that you can't do 2 player racing with one person on the full TV screen and one person on the gamepad.

Nintendo seems to have completely aborted the WiiU gamepad. Nintendoland showed some real promise for asymmetrical gameplay, and not a single loving thing since.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Its really loving lame that you can't do 2 player racing with one person on the full TV screen and one person on the gamepad.

Nintendo seems to have completely aborted the WiiU gamepad. Nintendoland showed some real promise for asymmetrical gameplay, and not a single loving thing since.
It's probably a performance issue. MK8 likely pushes the Wii U very close to its limits, and they still managed to get it to run at a steady, solid 60fps even in two-player split-screen mode, which is quite the achievement. I guess they couldn't manage to keep that framerate when rendering two entire, separate full-screen views of the game, even if one of them is at the comparatively lower resolution of the gamepad screen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PrBacterio posted:

It's probably a performance issue. MK8 likely pushes the Wii U very close to its limits, and they still managed to get it to run at a steady, solid 60fps even in two-player split-screen mode, which is quite the achievement. I guess they couldn't manage to keep that framerate when rendering two entire, separate full-screen views of the game, even if one of them is at the comparatively lower resolution of the gamepad screen.

Yeah, admittedly MK8 looks absolutely insane.

But even as much as I love 60fps, (and I really do, unlike some people) I'd totally accept 30fps in order to play two player without having to split screen.

:smith:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PrBacterio posted:

It's not 3D, it doesn't actually render things twice, I don't think? I always thought it was purely streaming.

Edit: Well, I guess it'd have to render the second image for it to exist. Dumb :downs:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

PrBacterio posted:

So they can't do the asymmetric gameplay the Wii U is supposed to uniquely provide because they made it too underpowered? Smart move, Nintendo.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

So they can't do the asymmetric gameplay the Wii U is supposed to uniquely provide because they made it too underpowered? Smart move, Nintendo.

Two people racing on the same track with the same goal is not asymmetric gameplay.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They could have just cut the framerate down like it does in split screen and I would have been happy but oh well.

I played the demo again today and noticed that now you can't drift when you are small from the lightning.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh. I get the feeling that the choice was more for balance than anything else. Maybe they felt it wouldn't be fair to have one player see both screens with the other only being able to see their own? I guess it wouldn't matter, but as someone with know knowledge on the subject, I really can't see why it'd be tougher on the system to do different things on the two screens rather than doing different things on the same screen.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I played the demo again today and noticed that now you can't drift when you are small from the lightning.
I noticed that too, but after trying multiple times, I found that I somehow managed to pull it off before growing back. It was weird.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wait the demo is still up at gamestops? I thought it was only for last weekend.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Ultigonio posted:

Eh. I get the feeling that the choice was more for balance than anything else. Maybe they felt it wouldn't be fair to have one player see both screens with the other only being able to see their own? I guess it wouldn't matter, but as someone with know knowledge on the subject, I really can't see why it'd be tougher on the system to do different things on the two screens rather than doing different things on the same screen.

I can attest to this, whoever played with the gamepad on Sonic and All Star usually was better dealing with poo poo than whoever got the tv screen; it's straight up broken when it's one on gamepad and four people sharing a tv screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ultigonio posted:

I noticed that too, but after trying multiple times, I found that I somehow managed to pull it off before growing back. It was weird.

Maybe it's a bug in the demo. If not, it's a pretty big game changer as it fucks up how you play the game. I ended up going off the track since I kept expecting to drift. It prevents tricks too.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait the demo is still up at gamestops? I thought it was only for last weekend.

At mine the guy says it's up indefinitely.

• Locked thread