Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fatherdog posted:

A European fighter that's lost to every good grappler he's ever fought gets submitted by a guy from a weight class above him? Clearly the only possible scenario that makes sense is a dive

this is my immediate reaction but Askren claimed it was a work as soon as it was announced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

fatherdog posted:

A European fighter that's lost to every good grappler he's ever fought gets submitted by a guy from a weight class above him? Clearly the only possible scenario that makes sense is a dive

While I find the former perfectly believable, I find the latter just as much.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

vainman posted:

I could easily believe Bellator would pay someone to take a dive if they thought it would help build another ppv

yeah me too. I don't think Tito is incapable of submitting Schlemenko so I'm joking when I call it a work, but I don't think Bellator is above paying for it either.

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011
Would it being proven as a work (not saying it is, haven't seen it) be a death blow for bellator though?

What would an athletic commissions response be? Fines? Refusal of license?

Seems to be an incredibly high risk strategy.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
If Bellator was into fixing fights Mo wouldn't have lost to Newton twice.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
There was no down side to that fight:
Smeko wins, and it shows how great their middleweight is, and Tito can say he only loses to champions. Tito wins, Tito is back! and Smeko only lost that fight because of size difference.

No reason to make it a work.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
It being a work is so stupid that I find it believable for Bellator

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but the fight was fishy as gently caress. I was not hallucinating when I saw Tito whisper in Shlemenko's ear right before a suspect looking submission finish. People are saying well why would they do that it would hurt Shlemenko's "name value". Guess what, Tito Ortiz is sadly still a bigger name yet he is pretty much incapable of getting a legitimate win on his record at this point if it's not against a complete can. If Bellator want to use him more than once, which is for certain, they need to act like he can still win and that this is "the new motivated Tito". Beating a champ gets people talking. So, he conveniently beats said champ after going 1-1-7 in his past 9 fights. As for Shlemenko, he still has the belt and can claim that going up in weight was a bad idea and it doesn't take much away from him.

I know shouting "dive!" looks stupid on the face of it, but I wouldn't put it past Bjorn Fuckin Rebney to do it. I literally watched a TNA wrestler whisper into a dudes ear, lock up a fishy looking sub with very little resistance on a man sponsored by his own clothing company, then cut a Hulk Hogan promo in ring. On top of that I was later treated to Rampage Jackson winning a complete robbery of a decision on Rampage day in Memphis. Add to that Askren and Snowden calling for a dive before the event (though that could be attributed to sour grapes and a dumb man worth ignoring who says stuff for attention respectively) and I can't look at that fight and think, yea that totally looks 100% on the level. At the time I had only heard about the Snowden tweet and thought "he's bullshitting" but then the fight was so loving weird I actually had to rethink it. Basically it could've been real but I certainly think it could've been a work as well; It's Bellator. For the record this is the first Bellator fight I've watched that I've ever questioned the legitimacy of (judging and matchmaking is another story).

I tried to track down the .gif of the whisper, but since nobody watched the card I've turned up empty handed so far.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 19, 2014

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Triticum Guzzler posted:

this is my immediate reaction but Askren claimed it was a work as soon as it was announced

yeah but askren thought tito was going to take a dive. if it was a work, it was an incredibly short-sighted one. shlemenko is basically the only "name" fighter outside of the lightweight division that bellator can claim any credit in developing, it's real dumb to feed him to a 40-year-old man who's all dick and no back

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

wait, i forgot about joe warren. rino sports would be nothing without him

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Food Court Druid posted:

If Bellator was into fixing fights Mo wouldn't have lost to Newton twice.

Nah the angle in that was having Mo fight Newton for an interim title when Attila Vegh was willing to defend the real title.

All I'm saying is look at Bjorn Rebney. If you can look at that face and believe he won't do the scummiest poo poo possible then I dunno what to tell you

reeg posted:

yeah but askren thought tito was going to take a dive. if it was a work, it was an incredibly short-sighted one. shlemenko is basically the only "name" fighter outside of the lightweight division that bellator can claim any credit in developing, it's real dumb to feed him to a 40-year-old man who's all dick and no back

It's also real dumb to have that same 40 year old headline your first PPV and cross promote in a pro wrestling show but they tried pulling that one off too

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Bubba Smith posted:

All I'm saying is look at Bjorn Rebney. If you can look at that face and believe he won't do the scummiest poo poo possible then I dunno what to tell you

I get the same feeling looking at Dana White too. Combat sport promoters are the scummiest. The willingness to do or say whatever it takes to get you to give them your money.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If Bellator was gonna fix Schlemenko/Tito, the smart thing to do would be to fix it so Schlemenko wins. Realistically Tito is 40 years old and falling apart; the main value of him is adding his name to the records of guys who are going to be (hopefully) staying with your company longer and raising their profile.

Of course, just because something is incredibly stupid doesn't mean they didn't do it. This is, after all, Bellator.

Marketed Gum
Jun 26, 2007

If I was taking a dive I think I would probably elect to tap rather than going unconscious.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Tito whispering something is clear evidence of the fight being fixed, as never in the history of MMA have fighters done things like talk to their opponent to taunt or further demoralize and frustrate them. It is an unspoken rule, you let your fists and feet do the talking when you Stand And Bang like a Warrior (that's Bellator in English)

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Labored Wooting posted:

If I was taking a dive I think I would probably elect to tap rather than going unconscious.

nah that's how you keep your dignity, at least a little of it

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
It's also not very hard to fake going unconscious, or to fake a submission hold. Unless you're John Cena.

And it makes total sense to fix it in favor of Tito over Shlemenko. While it does make the middleweight division look like poo poo, Tito is a much bigger name and his fight with Rampage is going to do the most business that Bellator could possibly manage. Yes it fucks up their credibility but Bellator's not in the business of making credible fights, Bellator is in the business of (attempting to) make money. And hell they even did a hard sell of how out-sized Shlemenko was to drive home the point that hey if he does lose, it's because this isn't really a fair fight.

e: ultimately, fixed or not fixed, that fight was stupid through and through, from announcement to Tito's promo, that poo poo was dumb.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

fatherdog posted:

That's what I assumed, but this thread lead me to assume it looked fishy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
regardless of a fix actually happening, when was the last time a fix was even alleged (japanese owned companies excluded)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

that Ebersole fight in Ohio or whatever

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

maffew buildings posted:

that Ebersole fight in Ohio or whatever

Wasn't it Shannon Ritch and they alleged he took a dive?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

i don't remember the exact details but ebersole did a spinning cartwheel chi blast attack and the commission rightly settled on 'nothing ridiculous ever happens in MMA, fight's a work'

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Ebersole was so awesome once upon a time.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ninja PD posted:

Ebersole was so awesome once upon a time.

Still is. He's 4-2 in the UFC. The James Head fight was weird and boring, and Story proved he can't compete with a real athlete, but he'll probably still be able to beat up random TUF Brasil guys with no problem.

world b lee
Feb 1, 2006
Is it a frog? Is it a toad?
"I just think god put me on this earth as a tool. Im not really a religious person but i believe that being a tool, is showing people that you can achieve stuff when you set your mind to things, that it cannot be accomplished. I have done these things. And I just look at it. This fight was already won before. Shlemenko even called me out. This was what was supposed to happen. All this we're living right now, is all pre played out. And I'm just livin' it the way it should be done." - Tito Ortiz, tool.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I must say I am surprised the fight fixing discussion ended up being about Tito rather than Rampage after I saw the reaction to the judges scores. Well, from the people who were still awake.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Mo vs Page was a bad fight and although I had it scored for King Mo it's not inconceivable to think the judges awarded whiffing punches and a swollen eye over takedowns and not much else.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

@StephanBonnar
Let's see if @TitoOrtiz can do that to me. He knows his only hope is to hold me down for dear life. #illwhoophisass #titoaintshit

Stephan Bonnar's relationship with the UFC must be bad if he is willing to take a fight with Tito.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I don't think this is an indication of a bad UFC relationship as much as he wants to go beat up Tito, a thing I very much doubt Dana White would have a problem with

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

even Dana White wanted to beat up Tito but his drat equilibrium went out.

Tito is a punk rear end bitch who had to fight a guy going up a weight class on short notice to win.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Fozzy The Bear posted:

@StephanBonnar
Let's see if @TitoOrtiz can do that to me. He knows his only hope is to hold me down for dear life. #illwhoophisass #titoaintshit

Stephan Bonnar's relationship with the UFC must be bad if he is willing to take a fight with Tito.

Bonnar had a cushy post fighting UFC job lined up then blew up when he juiced to fight Anderson. I'd wager Dana still likes the guy, but the juicing incident most likely ruined his chances for further opportunities in the UFC. Picking up some nice cash to beat up Tito isn't a bad option.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/5/19/5732116/rampage-jackson-fined-10000-for-shoving-mo-lawal-at-bellator-120

quote:

When the two were placed face-to-face, Quinton Jackson's shove of Muhammed Lawal at the weigh-ins for Bellator 120 on Friday may have hyped the crowd and been done for dramatic flair. However, the incident cost Jackson $10,000 and nearly cost him his chance to compete on the card.

According to Jon Lewis, head of the Mississippi Athletic Commission, who spoke to MMA Fighting on Monday, Jackson's push of Lawal is outside the boundaries of permissible pre-fight conduct between licensed combatants.

Lewis clarified Jackson was to simply be given a fine for the act, but when he informed Jackson after the weigh-ins he was to be charged for the act, Lewis said Jackson became extremely irate.

Lewis described Jackson as an "out of control individual to the nth degree."

In his alleged belligerence backstage at the Landers Center in Southaven, Miss., following the weigh-ins, Lewis said Jackson '"got very heated. More so on his side. I'm not going to let him push me over."

Lewis claims Jackson then used a number of expletives in close physical quarters to communicate his displeasure with the commission decision. "He got very irate and at this point was f-bombing me pretty bad," Lewis said.

Lewis said it was bad enough, by his estimation, that removing Jackson from the card altogether was explored as an option. Ultimately, Lewis declined to exercise that option after speaking with the promoter. In addition, Jackson later apologized at the venue. "Rampage was very apologetic," Lewis said. "He said he deserved the fine and he was assessed one for it."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thanks MLB threads, I expected the fan falling out of the stands to follow the shove, then the dinger machine and yankeefan.gif.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
newsflash: Bellator treats their fighters like poo poo

Bloody Elbow posted:

I have been given an opportunity to examine several Bellator promotional contracts and have spoken to several different managers and agents who represent fighters signed to the promotion, each of whom independently verified the details. I have also conferred with several attorneys and law professors, taking advantage of their expert opinions.

The managers complaints focused on a few provisions that they thought were particularly egregious in comparison to what is found in other MMA promotions' agreements.

The most objectionable part of the contract, according to a consensus from my sources, was found in what many refer to as the "champion clause." Back in September of 2009, MMAPayout posted the text for this clause, which read:

"If, at any time during the term, FIGHTER is declared the champion of his weight class, a Tournament winner, or a Tournament runner-up, the Term shall be automatically extended for a period commencing on the Termination Date and ending on the earlier of (i) eighteen (18) months from the Termination Date, or (ii) the date in which FIGHTER has participated in three (3) bouts promoted by PROMOTER following the Termination Date ("Extension Term"). Any reference to the Term herein shall be deemed to include a reference to the extension term where applicable."

The one change Bellator seems to have made since then is the insertion of the phrase "by the PROMOTER" into the clause, so that it now reads:

"If, at any time during the term, FIGHTER is declared by the PROMOTER the champion of his weight class, a Tournament winner, or a Tournament runner-up"

Fighting under these terms, Eddie Alvarez, Hector Lombard, and Ben Askren - all of whom were tournament winners and a champion in their weight class - saw three additional fights added to their agreement as part of the extension detailed above. Once these additional bouts were completed though each was free to contact and negotiate with other promoters (although Bellator did retain matching rights). While the tournament wins and time as champions obviously increased Lombard and Alvarez's value, as evidenced by the rather lucrative (by MMA standards) deals they ended up receiving, current and future Bellator champions are unlikely to have the same opportunity to cash in on their in-cage success.

According to our sources, Bellator has informed the fighters and managers that this extension can be enacted each time a fighter is declared "the champion of his weight class, a Tournament winner, or a Tournament runner-up" and that the extensions accumulate. What this means is that a tournament winner who then fought and won a Bellator title would have two extensions added to his contract, one for being declared a Tournament winner and one for being declared a champion of his weight class. There also does not seem to be a limit to the number of extensions that can accumulate, so that a fighter who wins or reaches the finals of multiple tournaments or who wins the championship on separate occasions or in different weight classes could have 3, 4, or even more extensions added to his deal.

MMA promotional agreements, including those for Bellator, typical come with a guaranteed number of bouts during the contracted period. But for the "Extension Terms" in the Bellator contracts we examined there doesn't seem to be any minimum bout requirements. The fear that one manager expressed was that Bellator would not be obligated to provide any fights for the duration of the twelve or eighteen-month extension.

The fact that fighters and their managers are now aware of these provisions does not necessarily mean fighters will refuse to participate in a tournament. Thanks to how most Bellator contracts are structured, non-tournament bouts usually pay much less than tournament bouts - as little as 1/5 of what is guaranteed in a first round tournament match. Fighters therefore may feel financially compelled to take part in a Bellator tournament, potentially adding further extensions if they reach the finals.

In addition, Bellator has added an option clause to many of their agreements that gives them the right to continue promoting a fighter for an additional bout ("Option Bout") if the fighter is a champion in his weight class at the end of his contact. To exercise this option Bellator only has to give written notice to the fighter and pay an option fee.

If the fighter wins this first Option Bout, or the fight ends in a draw or no decision, Bellator has the option for a second Option Bout, which they can exercise by giving the fighter written notice within a set number of business days and paying another option fee. If the fighter wins (or if it ends in a draw or no decision) this next Option Bout, they have an option for yet another bout. The total number of potential Option Bouts for a Bellator champion could be as high as 5 or more.

What does this mean for a promising fighter who signs a 6-fight, 24-month contract with Bellator and has hopes of eventually testing the open market or going to another promotion? Well, if they win their tournament and then win the title, Bellator could interpret this as extending the deal for an additional 6-fights or 24-months. And if the fighter were the champion after meeting the requirements of these extensions the promoter would possibly have the option for up to five additional bouts. Thus the original 6-fights agreement could turn into one for 17-fights or even more, lasting for years.

Facing such lengthy extensions a fighter will readily agree to a new contract which may provide better compensation but is still much lower than what they could have negotiated if they were free to field offers from other promoters. This new contract may also prove more restrictive then the previous deal, as the fighter feels compelled to accept the terms in order to receive an increase in their pay.

The opinion amongst all the managers I spoke to is that the current Bellator contracts represent, from a fighter's perspective, the least favorable contracts of any promotion. As one manager said, "They are the worst contracts in MMA. By far the very loving worst."

Bellator: By Far the loving Worst

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Trying out for TUF two weight classes above your normal competition weight is now an easier way to get into the UFC than signing your indentured servitude papers at Bellator.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 20, 2014

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Rampage is ready to step up to steeper competition by wanting to fight James Toney and Darrill Schoonover.

http://mmamayhemradio.com/2014/05/bellator-120-interview-with-rampage-jackson-calls-out-james-toney-and-titties-darrill-schoonover/

Aka "I need easy to win fights where I can get paid and not cut weight".

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

any word on the PPV numbers other than LOL?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

coconono posted:

I saw two dubious sources say ~50k as an early estimate, but I wouldn't trust that this early.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
All you need to know about anybody giving numbers on this show is that the following monday after the PPV, Dave Meltzer himself wrote an article about what would be considered a good number with absolutely no indication what kind of business it did whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Nothing official

coconono posted:

Haven't seen anything official, just a lot of "educated" guesses in the 50k range. That probably wouldn't even cover Chandler's pay, far less Tito, Mo and Rampage.
And the advertising.
And the production costs.

Then again, I'm sure Bjorn made a fat wad from the bookies on the Tito fight.

• Locked thread