Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
This is a great take on the F5:
http://www.truedorktimes.com/s28/baker/e13.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

DaisyDanger posted:

I, for one, am voting J'Tia.

I'm a few episodes into HvV and it is already very entertaining. I have to admit, I think some of the people (mostly a few villains) were placed on the wrong tribes. I never considered Coach a villain, just a weirdo. I don't really think Sandra and Danielle (I actually forgot what season she was on and kind of shocked when I realized she came in second on her season) were villains either. Shane and Rocky would've been better than those two, but in a way, I'm not sure I could handle Shane or Rocky all over again.

I haven't seen Danielle's season, but I'd venture to guess Sandra's placement was due to her play style, the anybody but me mercenary tactic. Seems like the Heroes were supposed to be people who played with honor, and Sandra, although not an evil mastermind, went at the game from an amoral standpoint.

I hope that holds if they do another Hv.V. Although it might mean the Heroes get clowned again.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Interesting, I think they're right about Kass.

About Woo, I think they're right as well, but they say he can't envision how to get to the end with Kass. That's quite simple and I don't think it's outside of Woo's intellectual capacity: vote out Spencer next tribal (if he doesn't win immunity), then win immunity and boot Tony. Cochran was speculating Woo as the winner on Rob's show, and you know what, that's actually highly realistic. I think Woo's story is already written; if he wins, nobody is going to go back and praise him as a genius. He'll be kind of a right place right time winner, and he's an affable guy so that's cool, although I think I prefer final threes so you can't get left at the end with a Woo and a Kass.

When it comes to Trish, I don't think they got her right.

quote:

Clearly, Trish believed she was Tony’s equal, despite ample evidence to the contrary (being out of the loop on two blindsides should have told her all she needed to know). No doubt she thought she could beat Tony at the Final Tribal Council, given the jury’s readily apparent annoyance with Tony’s Bag of Tricks. Trish clearly took offense to the very notion that she was Tony’s goat
This isn't really true. If you saw Trish's appearance on Aftershow, she had a really unique outlook, she calls Tony a "genius," she talks about how wonderful Spencer is going to be in life and that she told Spencer's parents they did a great job, she talks up and has nice things to say about basically all the other contestants, she even says Morgan is a sweet girl, so on and so forth. She never talks herself up at all in comparison. She did of course trash Kass, though. But my point is she doesn't have the attitude that this article attributes to her.

They're right about Spencer, although there's a line in there that says Woo doesn't believe Tony would take Kass to the end. Woo might hope Tony takes him, but he's not so naive to think Tony would never take Kass. I mean, maybe he was before, but Kass opened his eyes last episode.

No objections to what they said about Tony.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Btw, that article says Cirie got jobbed by the final two in Survivor Micronesia, and I've heard that before, but contestants had to know final two was a possiblity. The first 12 seasons had been final two and only the past 3 seasons at that point had been final three. That doesn't exactly scream that final three was a permanent institution. This season's final two is much more shocking, but it seems the contestants have been aware it's a possibility because they've referenced it a few times...

Also, in reference to the complaint that they should have announced it was the last opportunity to play the Tyler Perry Idol, well, they never told anyone ANYTHING about what that idol does. So I don't have a problem with the silence on that in particular, but I do think it's silly to have an idol that only one person knows the rules for.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 18, 2014

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I don't really understand the outrage about Woo winning, it's not like he just sat around all season. There are more interesting players left but some people and that article are making it sound like Survivor would hit a new low if he won. Maybe his style just seems less appealing in a season with a lot of overt 'gaming.'

I think I have to root for a Kass/Tony final on the basis of making the most entertaining TV pound-for-pound though.

rafington
Aug 21, 2008
Doesn't Jeff/tree mail always explicitly say when an immunity challenge is the final one? I remember in Micronesia that they only realized it was final 2 after getting tree mail for another immunity challenge, it seems like they just weren't paying attention at 4 to how the immunity challenge was worded. Someone might be able to correct me on this but I can't remember a final immunity challenge where it wasn't declared as final.

Ror posted:

I don't really understand the outrage about Woo winning, it's not like he just sat around all season. There are more interesting players left but some people and that article are making it sound like Survivor would hit a new low if he won. Maybe his style just seems less appealing in a season with a lot of overt 'gaming.'

I think I have to root for a Kass/Tony final on the basis of making the most entertaining TV pound-for-pound though.

I agree with this, did anyone really initiate meaningful moves post-merge except for Tony and Kass? Woo isn't a ringleader but I don't think he was nearly as much of a floater as we've seen in the past.

rafington fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 18, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Woo is 100% a floater who bends with whoever he talked to last, he has no ideas of his own and exists only to be filled by other people's ideas. He's a chill guy but if nothing beyond that. That said, I'd rather him win than Kass, because at least he knows what he is, Kass is completely delusional.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

Btw, that article says Cirie got jobbed by the final two in Survivor Micronesia, and I've heard that before, but contestants had to know final two was a possiblity. The first 12 seasons had been final two and only the past 3 seasons at that point had been final three. That doesn't exactly scream that final three was a permanent institution. This season's final two is much more shocking, but it seems the contestants have been aware it's a possibility because they've referenced it a few times...

Also, in reference to the complaint that they should have announced it was the last opportunity to play the Tyler Perry Idol, well, they never told anyone ANYTHING about what that idol does. So I don't have a problem with the silence on that in particular, but I do think it's silly to have an idol that only one person knows the rules for.

I think the Micronesia players started thinking something was up when the Final 4 Immunity challenge / Tribal was on Day 37 instead of Day 38, but they refused to believe it for sure until getting treemail for a Final 3 Immunity. The big thing to keep in mind was that Micronesia was the first final Tribal with an even-numbered jury, which was previously unprecedented. Cirie mentioned that she crunched the numbers after the Final 10 tribal council and realized it was either a Final 3 with a jury of 7, or a Final 2 with a jury of 8, and she assumed they would never do a 2-person Final Tribal with an even numbered jury because of the possibility of an unbreakable tie.

rafington
Aug 21, 2008

Piell posted:

Woo is 100% a floater who bends with whoever he talked to last, he has no ideas of his own and exists only to be filled by other people's ideas. He's a chill guy but if nothing beyond that. That said, I'd rather him win than Kass, because at least he knows what he is, Kass is completely delusional.

I really disagree with this because Woo's situation is a lot different from floaters we've seen in the past. For one, Tony's idols make him harder/impossible to blindside, so Woo was kinda stuck with him, and Tony isn't particularly well-liked - it's not the same situation as Kim or Rob getting handed the million by people who refused to stop them. The other thing is that Woo hasn't been enabling Tony to make moves that only benefit Tony. The LJ blindside, in particular, strikes me as one that helps Woo as much as it does Tony. I hate watching floaters when they have constant opportunities to make a move and better their position, but I don't see those as much with Woo, and I find it hard to criticize someone for not making moves when staying the course is the best thing to do in their position.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

edit: wrong CBS reality show thread

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah, Woo isn't the complete non-entity that someone like, say, Erik Reichenbach was strategically, even if it's a little painful to watch him think through the game. He was willing to turn on Cliff when that's what the tribe wanted even though they were close, he talked Cliff and Lindsey off the edge when they were worried about Trish flipping, he's gotten in tight with Tony and made big moves alongside him, he's pursued opportunities to flip and actually made a move against his alliance last round when the time felt right.

Not all of those were the right move, and he may not have initiated a lot of ideas, but they're all "strategic" moments that he's been involved in and he didn't just back into a position to make the finals.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BGrifter posted:

A big part of what made Russell so fun to watch was how easy to hate Galu were. The fans were rooting for terrible things to happen to Luara and company, Russell made that happen.

Tony has been a frontrunner the whole way. Instead of pulling off an 8-4 comeback, Tony has been acting crazy from a position of relative safety. When Tony makes a big move, the faces shuffle a little but the game doesn't really change much.

It's fun to watch, but he's nowhere near as rootable as Russell in Samoa. Tony needed better "bad guys" to go up against. (Big Brother 10 is the textbook example of this formula working)

I wish there was some sort of "Break when Cast is Awful" case on the island that Jeff could break open and have Russell crawl out to terrorize bad Survivors when necessary. I don't think it needs to be broken this year, though.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Changes to the TV portion of the finale format, which I guess I'll put in spoilers since people seem really sensitive about this stuff. I'm eyerolling pretty hard at the thought of Probst chiming in constantly with dumb observations every 15 minutes.

From an EW interview last Friday and confirmed in some Reddit thing today:

EW: We’re going old school! For the first time since season 1, the Survivor finale will be back on a Wednesday night (May 21). What can you tell us about the final installment of this terrific season and the live reunion that follows?

PROBST: I love that we’ll have our finale on a Wednesday! It just feels new and fresh and fun! We’re changing things up in other ways too. To start with, I’ll be live from the beginning of the two-hour finale. I’ll also be live at the end of every act. I’ll be interacting via social media @jeffprobst with fans at home and in the audience. We’re endeavoring to make this more of a shared event rather than a passive viewing experience. I’m excited. I think it’s going to add a nice bit of energy to the show. As for the finale itself, still more surprises to come regarding how it finishes and two of the most exciting challenges of any finale. Then we have the reunion. where we’ll focus on some of the more interesting relationships of this season — there is definitely a lot of unfinished business that we’ll deal with. I anticipate a really fun night to finish off a really fun season!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Probst AMA http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/25yojp/jeff_probst_here_host_of_survivor_ama/
key points:
*never expected anyone to find the Tyler Perry ido
*probably not going to any new locations any time soon
*doesn't like current Survivors tweeting, but it's a CBS decision
*called Richard Hatch the most overrated strategist

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Fast Luck posted:

So true.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fast Luck posted:

what a 180 from Probst constantly licking his nuts every loving season

he's right but i wonder what caused the reversal

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

Probst AMA http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/25yojp/jeff_probst_here_host_of_survivor_ama/
key points:
*never expected anyone to find the Tyler Perry ido
*probably not going to any new locations any time soon
*doesn't like current Survivors tweeting, but it's a CBS decision

For all the poo poo people give Probst, he's pretty cool. :3:

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Yeah, I'm actually a little impressed by the quality of his responses. I'm used to his interviews/online comments just involving him saying a bunch of nonsense and defending every terrible decision with "the fans love it!"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TheChad posted:

So true.

After 20whatever seasons no poo poo.

Rick posted:

I wish there was some sort of "Break when Cast is Awful" case on the island that Jeff could break open and have Russell crawl out to terrorize bad Survivors when necessary. I don't think it needs to be broken this year, though.

That would be awesome and it needed to be broken about 3 episodes ago.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I just cannot wait to see next all stars with Rupert again.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

what a 180 from Probst constantly licking his nuts every loving season

he's right but i wonder what caused the reversal

Maybe Probst just has impulse control issues... I mean, every time Hatch is around his nuts are typically hanging out in the open for all to see, so maybe Probst just can't help having a lick.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
BvW chat: Monica needs to stop talking about Monica in the 3rd person. And to just stop talking in general. It was hilarious seeing Aras getting blindsided. I liked Ciera but she was an idiot not to join the original Tadhana in voting out Tyson at F7. Tyson's played the best game and he's totally going to deserve his win.

Just about to hit the latest season!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

TheChad posted:

So true.
I really don't think you can overrate the dude who literally invented the game that every single person on every season since has played.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Probst lets his personal feelings for castmembers dictate his in-game opinions of them more and more as time goes on.

Richard Hatch almost has to be judged on a completely different level because he was the first one and he wasn't going in with the Hatch playbook that members of subsequent seasons got to utilize.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 20, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Holy poo poo! We have a two hour finale and an hour reunion!

Didn't someone post a few weeks ago, once we learned that the finale was on Wednesday, that it was only going to be an hour long episode? I just went to CBS.com and it's two full hours before the reunion. Tonight's going to be fun (or bitterly disappointing).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

blue squares posted:

Holy poo poo! We have a two hour finale and an hour reunion!

Didn't someone post a few weeks ago, once we learned that the finale was on Wednesday, that it was only going to be an hour long episode? I just went to CBS.com and it's two full hours before the reunion. Tonight's going to be fun (or bitterly disappointing).

Finale's tomorrow boyo.

So you're right about disappointment I guess?

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Probst lets his personal feelings for castmembers dictate his in-game opinions of them more and more as time goes on.

Richard Hatch almost has to be judged on a completely different level because he was the first one and he wasn't going in with the Hatch playbook that members of subsequent seasons got to utilize.

Yeah, it works both ways and was a different game. To his credit, Hatch saw right through the giddy naivete that defined the first season to realize that there was a million dollar prize at the end of the adventure. I guess you could argue that alliances were inevitable, but Hatch was the only guy to really fixate on how best to manipulate the social dynamic of the two tribe system to ensure that he could have some control over the outcome of votes. On the other hand, no other survivor champion, not even Boston Rob version 4.0, would have quite as clueless a cast to work on. Remember, whether or not it was moral to have alliances and vote people out for strategic reasons was a major point of contention in the first season. It's crazy. For most of the people it seemed like itt wasn't a competition, it was an adventure camping trip that, oh yeah, had a prize at the end. For what it's worth, I think Hatch was perfect and tremendously respect his game.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hatch is sorta like Team Guido in Amazing Race -- defined the game and should never be discounted for doing so, but hopelessly outclassed when brought back to compete against a field full of people who had taken their revolutionary play as a starting point, competed against other people who were doing the same thing, and improved on it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hatch's game in S1 was the most simple rudimentary strategy that's ever been played. Sure, he deserves a ton of credit for introducing the idea of alliances but we have no way of knowing how he would cope with all the complications and advanced strategies that have been created since and that makes it hard to put him on even ground with someone like Boston Rob or Sandra. It's a shame that his reputation means he never really stood a chance on All-Stars cause it would have been interesting to see how he would have faired if he'd stuck around longer.

Just started Cagayan. The Brains tribe are awful. Go team Beauty.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

IRQ posted:

Finale's tomorrow boyo.

So you're right about disappointment I guess?

Haha that's what I meant to say.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

Just started Cagayan. The Brains tribe are awful. Go team Beauty.

Kellys, all of them.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IRQ posted:

Kellys, all of them.

LJ was p cool

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This spyshack is the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard. How does Tony expect nobody to notice?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rarity posted:

This spyshack is the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard. How does Tony expect nobody to notice?
All the smart people are on another tribe.

In another season.

On a different island, far away from this one.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

IRQ posted:

Kellys, all of them.

Well, they are wearing purple.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
J'Tia ruins the whole of the tribe's rice supply and she doesn't get voted out, what the hell? :psyduck:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rarity posted:

J'Tia ruins the whole of the tribe's rice supply and she doesn't get voted out, what the hell? :psyduck:

Not the worst strategic move of the season, amazingly

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

I know he was kinda generic but I will never get why people thought he was boring. He went out and did CSI in the middle of a monsoon which was pretty cool.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rarity posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Rarity posted:

Voting Garrett out was not a terrible move, really. Like, it would have been emotionally satisfying to ice J'Tia right then, but Kass and Tasha saw a strong alliance between Spencer and Garrett, needed to break it, and knew of the two that Garrett was the one least likely to help them in challenges, or maintain loyalty. Garrett and J'Tia were pretty much equally horrible, but Kass and Tasha made the calculation that, should they make the merge, J'Tia would be a more reliable vote. They still wouldn't have made that move if Garrett hadn't been so loving stupid the whole day after the immunity challenge. And also if he'd bothered to try allying with either Tasha or Kass, which he seems not to have done at all.
Both Garrett and J'Tia richly deserve to be on a "worst survivor players ever" list.

• Locked thread