Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yes, but please read the last page of discussion re: TRIM enabler. You'll need to enable TRIM yourself because it's a third-party drive and there's a possibility that capability may disappear entirely in 10.10. Without TRIM the Samsung drives perform like poo poo and you're better off with an Intel 530 (which is now my go-to for third-party SSDs for Macs).

I use the Intel 530 in my 2011 13" MBP. I recommend it, it works great. I never measured the speed or anything, but that doesn't matter as much to me to have the fastest thing ever, just the benefits of having an ssd is enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

frenziedslacker posted:

I have a 2013 15" RMBP with the GT750m and a UP2414Q. I was running the developer preview of 10.9.3 and at first it had a couple of weird issues with sleep/wake, like having to power off the 4k display, replug it in, etc to get it to wake properly, and then it would have half the screen at the wrong tint like it had the wrong color profile. I did some more testing with the general release of 10.9.3 and it works flawlessly - 3840x2160@60hz, it automatically scales to be "retina" (1080p) so text is readable. What's weird is that if you have a 4k display plugged into a thunderbolt port, you have to use the HDMI port if you have another monitor, the other thunderbolt port doesn't work for displays, although it does work for a thunderbolt dock.

These things are related. When operated at 60 Hz, many 4K displays (ab)use a DisplayPort feature called multi stream transport or MST, which allows one DP to serve multiple monitors. They function like two quasi independent half-4K 60 Hz displays, and the OS and video card must compensate by stitching them together seamlessly. The bug you saw in early betas was a flaw in the stitching, and the thunderbolt limitation is because you can only attach a total of two displays via the thunderbolt ports and your 4K monitor is effectively two in one.

Ocrassus posted:

This is because the display port interface is saturated by that 4K goodness.

The Mac Pro has three seperate controllers, one per two thunderbolt ports. You can't run the three 4K displays off any port you choose, you have to make sure it's running off of its own interface with the CPU and isn't sharing it with another display.

MacBook Pro with retina display. Not Mac Pro.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

BobHoward posted:

These things are related. When operated at 60 Hz, many 4K displays (ab)use a DisplayPort feature called multi stream transport or MST, which allows one DP to serve multiple monitors. They function like two quasi independent half-4K 60 Hz displays, and the OS and video card must compensate by stitching them together seamlessly. The bug you saw in early betas was a flaw in the stitching, and the thunderbolt limitation is because you can only attach a total of two displays via the thunderbolt ports and your 4K monitor is effectively two in one.

MacBook Pro with retina display. Not Mac Pro.

It's exactly the same principle except with the two ports on the MacBook.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SourKraut posted:

There's always Seagate's 600 series (non-pro or pro, though the Pro is usually around the same price and has a 5 year warranty, power loss functionality, and better binned NAND). It's not as good as Intel's 530 series but it's performance, while slower, doesn't go to complete crap without Trim. It's idle power consumption is higher so that could be an issue depending on your usage. I only really bring it up since cost appears to be an issue.

I'll take a look at it, thanks! the 500gb/$250 ratio was about what I was waiting for, so it kinda sucks that Apple may be imposing those TRIM restrictions on 3rd party drives. Most of my space is taken up with movies and photos, though, so I might just need to figure out a creative way to offload that stuff to an external drive.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm looking at purchasing a rMBP. I haven't used MacOS before and have been wanting to mess around with it or a while. I'm also in a situation where it's be great to have a portable computer (Army--30+ hours of sitting at a desk on duty means a laptop could save my sanity) so I figured I could kill two birds with one stone.

It will be a general use laptop for stuff like web surfing (5-25 tabs usually open) and gaming (Blizzard titles like D3, HotS, and SC2 plus Dark Souls 2). Oh, and probably semi productive things like Office and whatnot. :)

I've never used an apple laptop before, so I'm not sure how important the next point will be. As of now, I would like for it to be able to dock into something at home so I can use an external keyboard and monitor for a "desktop" feel when gaming but still be portable for use as an actual laptop. This may change if I find typing on the keyboard to be acceptable for long periods and on how the screen looks in action.

I took a look at the 13 and 15 inch models in a store and as much as I like to have the extra screen space of a 15 inch, I imagine the 13 will be more practical due to portability and (am I right in this?) battery life and cooling. I did notice the speakers on the 15 were next to the keyboard--where are they located on the 13? Also, what's the general consensus of the 13 v 15? The last laptop I had was a giant brick, so even the 15 will be light in comparison.

My next big set of questions is on configuration. How easy (if even possible) is it for me to add my own RAM after purchase? Paying apple to do so is a little hefty of a cost compared to how much I'm used to paying for RAM. Also, how good are the intel iris graphics? Will they be able to handle whatever I'm doing? I'm pretty sure an i5 or i7 won't make a big different in my situation since I'm not doing anything really CPU intensive.

Right now I'm leaning toward the $1500 model, even if that is way more than I've ever spent on a computer before. :) Someone tell me it's worth it and will work for my situation...

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Aranan posted:

I'm looking at purchasing a rMBP. I haven't used MacOS before and have been wanting to mess around with it or a while. I'm also in a situation where it's be great to have a portable computer (Army--30+ hours of sitting at a desk on duty means a laptop could save my sanity) so I figured I could kill two birds with one stone.

It will be a general use laptop for stuff like web surfing (5-25 tabs usually open) and gaming (Blizzard titles like D3, HotS, and SC2 plus Dark Souls 2). Oh, and probably semi productive things like Office and whatnot. :)

I've never used an apple laptop before, so I'm not sure how important the next point will be. As of now, I would like for it to be able to dock into something at home so I can use an external keyboard and monitor for a "desktop" feel when gaming but still be portable for use as an actual laptop. This may change if I find typing on the keyboard to be acceptable for long periods and on how the screen looks in action.

I took a look at the 13 and 15 inch models in a store and as much as I like to have the extra screen space of a 15 inch, I imagine the 13 will be more practical due to portability and (am I right in this?) battery life and cooling. I did notice the speakers on the 15 were next to the keyboard--where are they located on the 13? Also, what's the general consensus of the 13 v 15? The last laptop I had was a giant brick, so even the 15 will be light in comparison.

My next big set of questions is on configuration. How easy (if even possible) is it for me to add my own RAM after purchase? Paying apple to do so is a little hefty of a cost compared to how much I'm used to paying for RAM. Also, how good are the intel iris graphics? Will they be able to handle whatever I'm doing? I'm pretty sure an i5 or i7 won't make a big different in my situation since I'm not doing anything really CPU intensive.

Right now I'm leaning toward the $1500 model, even if that is way more than I've ever spent on a computer before. :) Someone tell me it's worth it and will work for my situation...

The ram is built into the logic board (motherboard), so your not just paying Apple to click in sticks. The speakers are in the display, and while the 15" speakers are a little better the 13" speakers are pretty drat goods.

Battery is physically bigger on the 15", so the battery life is similar.

MacBook keyboards are awesome, but if you've got the cash you can buy a Thunderbolt Display. It connects to the thunderbolt port on the laptop and provides multiple USB, FireWire, a thunderbolt, power for the laptop, and sound.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

The speakers are in the display,

In a rMBP? No, they're not.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'll take a look at it, thanks! the 500gb/$250 ratio was about what I was waiting for, so it kinda sucks that Apple may be imposing those TRIM restrictions on 3rd party drives. Most of my space is taken up with movies and photos, though, so I might just need to figure out a creative way to offload that stuff to an external drive.

Yeah, I didn't realize the Intel 530 series 480gb was so expensive (just took a look). It appears the Seagate 600 Pro 480GB is around $230, so maybe a little more palatable? Like I said, idle power consumption is higher than other related drives, and for reference your existing drive appears to have a manufacturer-specified idle of around 0.8 watts, but how its real-world idle consumption is I don't know.

It's a decent little drive, but yeah it would depend on how much/often you need to get as long as possible out of usage before charging.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I definitely don't have the cash to get a Thunderbolt Display right now. Maybe in a year or so when they refresh, but for now is have to stick with the HDMI monitor my PC currently uses.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Aranan posted:

...gaming (Blizzard titles like D3, HotS, and SC2 plus Dark Souls 2)...

...would like for it to be able to dock into something at home...

...I imagine the 13 will be more practical due to portability and (am I right in this?) battery life and cooling....

...the speakers on the 15 were next to the keyboard--where are they located on the 13?...

...how good are the intel iris graphics?...

RAM has been covered, you get one shot at upgrading and that's when you buy it from Apple. Unfortunately, you have to pay their prices.

You are correct that the 13" models are more portable and tend to last longer on battery and need less cooling.

For games like D3/HoTS/SC2, you can benefit from better graphics all the way up to the GeForce 750M in the $2600 version of the 15" rMBP. However, Blizzard is usually pretty good at providing enough knobs to run at good frame rates on integrated graphics if you're willing to live with lower resolution and detail settings.

The version of Iris Pro in the 15" models is more powerful than the version in the 13". If gaming is real important to you, think hard about a choice between any 13" model and the base 15" model.

A cheap "dock" solution is to get a monitor that accepts HDMI or DisplayPort input, and a USB keyboard (with hub) into which you plug a USB mouse. Plug two cords into your computer, connect the power, done. You might also choose to add a standalone USB hub and USB audio device attached to some bigger speakers.

The 13" speakers are actually located in about the same spots inside the chassis, but are buried under the keyboard instead of next to it. Because there's no room for a grille, the sound escapes through air vents along the back and side edges of the computer (you can't see the rear vents from most angles because they're hidden by the display hinge). The 15" speakers sound better, in my opinion, and the lack of a grille is probably why.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
If you only want a docking solution for USB devices + monitor, do like BobHoward says. It's just one single extra plug to put in versus a Thunderbolt display. But if that still bothers you (or you want ethernet / headphone jacks, whatever), you could buy one of the many $200 Thunderbolt docks instead and cut it down to one connector.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Either I'm crazy or they changed the Apple store discounts for certain rMBPs overnight. I could swear that yesterday it was $200 off even the lowest ones but now it seems to be only $100.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I've switched from an old iMac to a new rMBP and I love it, but the one catch it that storing all my music locally would fill up just about my entire drive. Putting it all on an external HD and subscribing to Spotify does 95% of the job, but is there a way to make my external drive accessible over wifi? Ideally I would like be able to access and store my iTunes library and maybe do Time Machine backups with another old external drive I have laying around without having to spend gobs of cash on something like an Airport Extreme.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there any reason why iTunes Match won't work for you?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Inside Outside posted:

I've switched from an old iMac to a new rMBP and I love it, but the one catch it that storing all my music locally would fill up just about my entire drive. Putting it all on an external HD and subscribing to Spotify does 95% of the job, but is there a way to make my external drive accessible over wifi? Ideally I would like be able to access and store my iTunes library and maybe do Time Machine backups with another old external drive I have laying around without having to spend gobs of cash on something like an Airport Extreme.

ITunes Match requires you store all of that data locally on a drive.

Set up a sharing only account on the iMac (I'm assuming all the music is on the iMac and you're keeping it), give than account permissions to your iTunes folder, and connect to the iMac from the rMBP via connect to server in iTunes.

From there, set your default iTunes library folder as the folder on the iMac.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Caged posted:

Is there any reason why iTunes Match won't work for you?

Because I forgot about it! Doesn't iTunes Match not jive well with unreleased stuff / b sides / songs that aren't on iTunes? That's pretty much why I still want that old stuff.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Inside Outside posted:

Because I forgot about it! Doesn't iTunes Match not jive well with unreleased stuff / b sides / songs that aren't on iTunes? That's pretty much why I still want that old stuff.

If it can't match it it just uploads a copy

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
So do the retina 15s have a way of doing a third party SSD upgrade? I know the RAM is hard-wired.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Lexicon posted:

So do the retina 15s have a way of doing a third party SSD upgrade? I know the RAM is hard-wired.

Sort of. It's a proprietary drive, and as far as I know, only OWC sells upgrades, and last time I checked (it's been a while though), they cost as much as Apple's upgrades do.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lexicon posted:

Yeah, the hard drives are a wafer that can be replaced. OWC sell some replacement drives for them but they're almost as expensive as buying the drive directly from Apple when ordering.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Inside Outside posted:

Yeah, it just uploads that stuff. The only problem I've had is weirdly close matches, like the mono Beatles albums. They aren't on iTunes, but close enough to the matching algorithms that it matches them with the stereo versions.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Sort of. It's a proprietary drive, and as far as I know, only OWC sells upgrades, and last time I checked (it's been a while though), they cost as much as Apple's upgrades do.

Thanks. I guess I might need to spring for the 1T, even though it comes to a ball-aching amount of money.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The OWC drives are actually pretty affordable from what I've seen lately. I know that, at least for the 2011 model Airs, their prices beat Apple by at least $100 (not counting labor if taking it to a shop to upgrade) and they include an external enclosure for the old drive.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Inside Outside posted:

I put mine on a slim sd card.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

benisntfunny posted:

I put mine on a slim sd card.
why did i never think of this

Goon
Apr 22, 2006
I'm going to be taking a look at a 2013 $900 rMBP 13" tomorrow, 8gigs, 128gig. I'm totally new to macs. I think that's a pretty good price, but it might also be too good of a price. Beyond going, yup, that's a computer, is there anything I should look out for when inspecting it?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Quick question, this should be the procedure to perform a power reset on a Macbook Pro, right?

Shut down the computer.
Plug the power cord into the MacBook and the power source.
Press the Left Shift + Control + Option keys and the Power button at the same time.
Release all of the keys and the Power button at the same time.
Press the Power button to turn the computer back on.[1]

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Goon posted:

I'm going to be taking a look at a 2013 $900 rMBP 13" tomorrow, 8gigs, 128gig. I'm totally new to macs. I think that's a pretty good price, but it might also be too good of a price. Beyond going, yup, that's a computer, is there anything I should look out for when inspecting it?

Is that a late 2013 rMBP? I think the 8gb/128gb config only came out with Haswell, 2012 and Early 2013 were 8gb/256gb only and up.

Goon
Apr 22, 2006
January 2013 according to the seller.

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
Trip report:

The 2.4GHz/256GB/8GB is an absolute baller of the highest order. Determining gapless playback information has never been faster.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Alright, so I'm looking at getting a laptop. I'm in school so I'll be on this retard all day. I'm gonna get a 13-inch something but am really looking at the pro and the air. I know the difference between them specs-wise, but I'm looking at what y'all think about little quality-of-life things. I really don't need the power performance, but if they're pretty comparable heat/sound wise then I'm totally into having better performance.

A pro is gonna be louder, the difference in weight is negligible, and gets a bit hotter but it's got a major upgrade in performance. What do you guys think about macbook airs? Are they actually as quiet/cool/lightweight as folks say, compared to a MacBook Pro?

I don't give a poo poo about the weight, I can hardly tell the half-pound difference between the two.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Alright, so I'm looking at getting a laptop. I'm in school so I'll be on this retard all day. I'm gonna get a 13-inch something but am really looking at the pro and the air. I know the difference between them specs-wise, but I'm looking at what y'all think about little quality-of-life things. I really don't need the power performance, but if they're pretty comparable heat/sound wise then I'm totally into having better performance.

A pro is gonna be louder, the difference in weight is negligible, and gets a bit hotter but it's got a major upgrade in performance. What do you guys think about macbook airs? Are they actually as quiet/cool/lightweight as folks say, compared to a MacBook Pro?

I don't give a poo poo about the weight, I can hardly tell the half-pound difference between the two.

If you're only considering the 13inch models, get the rMBP. Like you said, the weight difference is negligible and performance is better.

In my opinion, the Air only makes sense when you really really want the 11inch model. I own one and it goes everywhere with me but I wanted the smallest possible option. It's my primary home computer when I'm not working.

e: a word

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The rMBP has a smaller footprint and would be the better option for desk/backpack.

In my opinion the only advantages the Airs have now is weight and price, with some substantial drawbacks. If price or weight outweigh every other feature, get the air. Otherwise get the rMBP.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

But what about heat and noise? Does it not run hotter and louder?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Unless you're doing CPU-heavy work like watching multiple 1080p streams or huge files, you're not going to hear a lot from either the Air or the rMBP.

If all you do is standard surfing with light word processing / printing you should almost never hear your fan or feel the machine getting uncomfortably hot, the bad old PowerBook days are gone now. When the fans do come on, they sound more like the intensity of rain pouring harder, as opposed to the mechanical whine of a turbine.

Also consider that the Air will get you 10-12 hours of battery, whereas rMBPs will make it to like 8-9 hours.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I had both the air and rMBP and the only time I heard the fans is when some runaway plugin pegged the CPU.

Both of them have the same goofy misshaped fan to help with wind noise anyhow.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

The Air also can get hot as gently caress if you do anything particularly intensive on it. I play Football Manager, Civ 5, and Diablo 3 on my 11inch and it'll get pretty loving hot. It's never freaked out but it is uncomfortably hot to the touch.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Ochowie posted:

Yesterday when I left my house my iMac (purchased in late 2011) was running. When I came back it looked like it had shut down. I tried to turn it back on and while it would power the USB peripherals the actual computer wouldn’t start up or boot. I have a genius bar appointment scheduled tonight but I’m not particularly hopeful. It doesn’t seem like it’s an HD issue so I’m wondering if I would be able to salvage the data on that drive or if I am out of luck when it comes to that too?
What happened at the genius bar? You can pull out the HDD and put it in an enclosure or use a SATA -> USB cable to access it from another Mac. Of course, if it powers on at all, you can use Target Disk Mode to turn the whole iMac into an external FireWire or ThunderBolt hard drive.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

kuskus posted:

What happened at the genius bar? You can pull out the HDD and put it in an enclosure or use a SATA -> USB cable to access it from another Mac. Of course, if it powers on at all, you can use Target Disk Mode to turn the whole iMac into an external FireWire or ThunderBolt hard drive.

They thought it was either the power supply or the logic board. They put in a new power supply and it still didn't boot up. I told them to forget it and they pulled the hard drive for me so I can get an enclosure. I ordered the refurb iMac since I really like having a desktop but overall I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't even get 3 years out of the current machine. I think I'll definitely buy AppleCare for this one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Has anybody here had problems with their rMBP freezing to a complete halt, so that it needs a reboot? It's happened to me about ten times, but I'm not sure if there's a pattern for when it happens. I think it usually happens after I wake it up by opening the lid. I sometimes even get a grey screen, with text telling me that something went wrong and the computer had to reboot.

Is this a common problem? Is there a solution for it? It hasn't happened often enough for me to freak out but something's deffo not right either.

It's a late 2013 8gb rMBP btw.