Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
One of us, one of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Hell yes

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Just got back from Ireland. Pours of liquor are served at 35.5 mL, or 1.2 ounces. Combine that with the exchange rate, and me coming from a mile in the air down to sea level, and you get a depressing equation trying to get drunk.

Bulmer's cider is fuckin' great, though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

That's why I always challenge anyone who says that the Irish (or most Commonwealth/Western Euro countries) are great drinkers - it's too goddamn expensive to be a drunk there.

Now the Russians, on the other hand, do not gently caress with a Russian who challenges you to a drinking contest. You will lose, badly.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

On phone, let me know if it breaks tables.

This was literally the only alcohol she has ever drank in 88 years aside from the sip of beer that I mentioned.

Review: "It's just so unusual." She mentioned a few times that it tastes like ice cream.

She had about a third of it and then started getting ready for bed.

For the new page just because.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Reminds me of the old lady tonight who wanted to know if I did "The Scoobie Snacks?" I assured her I DID do the Scoobie Snacks, and there was much rejoicing.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

mooyashi posted:

Just got back from Ireland. Pours of liquor are served at 35.5 mL, or 1.2 ounces. Combine that with the exchange rate, and me coming from a mile in the air down to sea level, and you get a depressing equation trying to get drunk.

How much is a pour in the States? I thought 30ml/1 ounce was pretty standard.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
1.5 oz, in my experience.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
1.5oz is standard.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Malcolm posted:

1.5 oz, in my experience.

If you're in a dive and you're a bad tipper, it's...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

mooyashi posted:

Just got back from Ireland. Pours of liquor are served at 35.5 mL, or 1.2 ounces.

If you were curious, from Wikipedia:

"Derived from the use of a quarter-gill (35.516 mL) as the traditional Irish spirit measure."

"The gill is a unit of measurement for volume equal to a quarter of a pint."

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Standard US pour is 1.5oz, 2oz for an up drink.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We're making stupid money this season, breaking all kinds of sales records. We've had a couple of nights over 4k, and that's out of little shoebox bar. Crazy tip percentages too, this weekend is gonna be nuts.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

leica posted:

We're making stupid money this season, breaking all kinds of sales records. We've had a couple of nights over 4k, and that's out of little shoebox bar. Crazy tip percentages too, this weekend is gonna be nuts.

I love that! I rang 1600 in 2.5 hours last night and made 22%. Love summertime!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

poo poo last Wednesday I only rang up 450 because I got rained out and still made 150 in tips.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

these posts make me hate my current job and miss bartending. Then I remember my liver.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Shooting Blanks posted:

these posts make me hate my current job and miss bartending. Then I remember my liver.

I think I've damaged my liver more in trying to drink away the pain of a crap job that isn't bartending than I ever did while tending bar. :(

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

mooyashi posted:

Is cider big in the US? I mean, bulmers is OK but there's a huge variety available. The Swedish and British ciders tend to be the best. Can't beat cider on a hot day. The really annoying thing here is that the prices are creeping -just- beyond 5e a drink. Awkward when you're in rounds. That'll be 20.40 please. Breaking 50 for four drinks is a fucker.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Cider is rare enough in the US that bottled ciders usually are marketed as "hard cider" otherwise people don't know there's alcohol in there. It's rare to see it on tap if you're not at a beer centric place, even in the summer.

We do have some brewers here making excellent cider though.

raton fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 23, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sheep-Goats posted:

Cider is rare enough in the US that bottled ciders usually are marketed as "hard cider" otherwise people don't know there's alcohol in there. It's rare to see it on tap if you're not at a beer centric place, even in the summer.

We do have some brewers here making excellent cider though.

That's regional, too. Out here in Iowa, for example, I can't remember the last place I went to that didn't have at least Angry Orchard on tap. Wish I could find Woodchuck more often, though, it's much better.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Angry Orchard is... fine for what it is, I guess, but honestly it tastes simply like apple juice. I'm a fan of drier stuff, and that's not the direction American Ciders seem to be taking, nor am I in their target demographic.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Went to a bar last night where the only bartender was slammed all night, and the barback had barely anything to do other than to take my glass as soon as I finished it and tell me he couldn't get me another beer. Why wouldn't you just hire two bartenders?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Cynically: any percent tipped out will be less than a two way split
Realistically: someone got cut too early, or they were the victim of poor scheduling

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Cider is pretty ubiquitous in the US... It's usually marked "hard cider" because originally the US made many different apple-based beverages and that's a hold over. Although they were out of vogue for a while, many places have at least Angry Orchard/Woodchuck/Smith and Forge if not a scrumpy or dry. blackthorn is still very popular, as is Magners.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

For the PNW, 2 Towns Ciderhouse makes some really good cider. I like their ginger cider a lot.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Chicago (and possibly Midwest-regional), Virtue Ciders makes some awesome stuff: http://virtuecider.com/our-ciders/

Red Streak is a favorite. Nice and dry.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

adamarama posted:

Is cider big in the US? I mean, bulmers is OK but there's a huge variety available. The Swedish and British ciders tend to be the best. Can't beat cider on a hot day. The really annoying thing here is that the prices are creeping -just- beyond 5e a drink. Awkward when you're in rounds. That'll be 20.40 please. Breaking 50 for four drinks is a fucker.

Swedish ciders are gross as gently caress, dude - I mean, if painful sweet syrups at 4.0% ABV with no actual fruit in them are your thing, that's cool, but I'm still going to call you a loving girl for ordering them. Best ciders in the world if you can get hands on them are Tasmanian - they don't call the home of Franks, Spreyton, Willie Smith's and Pagan the "apple isle" for nothing. Other than that those local village ciders you get on cask in the southwest of England are the tits.

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009
I humbly request thoughts and suggestions!

I work in a Spanish style tapas restaurant and we just got our liquor license.
I have now been tasked with coming up with a handfull of cocktails, and I can apparently request pretty much whatever I want.
The boss wants to put a bit of emphasis on Sherry, but I know pretty much bugger all about them.
I've tried googling Spanish style/themed cocktails but all the results boil down to "Make sangria with red wine. Or make Sangria with white wine!"
Is there a particular style of cocktail that is distinctly Spanish? Are there interesting cocktails using the sweeter Spanish sherrys?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Spanish Coffee is what came to my mind first. It doesn't use sherry through. It's just fresh brewed coffee, high proof rum, a little khalua and triple sec and some fire theatrics.

raton fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 25, 2014

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I would start by just replacing vermouth with sherry in a few drinks - try them out first, obviously, but they're both fortified wines and the flavor profile isn't that different. I'm not real familiar with cocktails including sherry offhand, it's frequently overlooked.

I'm assuming your sangrias are already on point?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Compared to sangrias, there's also the easier (and quite delicious) "tinto de verano," which is half and half red wine and Gaseosa. It can be approximated by 2 parts red wine, 1 part water and 1 part Sprite.

Honestly, though, I might focus on establishing a good selection of Spanish wines by the glass first and foremost. Get some reasonably priced examples from Rioja (both red and white), Ribera del Duero (red), Priorat (red) and Rueda (white). That's what I think about when I think "Spanish drink." Assuming you already have that end of things handled, feel free to ignore this. Also, consider getting some good Spanish brandies. I've recently started getting into them, and they are quite nice and yet very distinct from a Cognac or an Armagnac.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Also since it's going on into summer there is a lot of really good Spanish Rose which drinks great in hot weather.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SubponticatePoster posted:

Also since it's going on into summer there is a lot of really good Spanish Rose which drinks great in hot weather.

Absolutely. Either way, when I think "tapas," it makes me think about wine. Wine accentuates tapas, and good tapas accentuate wines. Beer, sangria and cocktails are all good, but they don't fit quite as well with classic tapas in my opinion. Don't overthink the classics.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
God I love Spanish reds. Tempranillo is a fine grape.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
If there is anything finer than a high life and a smoke in the yard at quarter of five as the sky gets light with a pocket full of cash, blow me.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

It's not Spanish at all, but if your customers are uncultured, they'll not care that cachaca and drinks like the caipirinha are Brazilian in origin. Tasty, summery and it'll be all the same to your average American! :911:

Incidentally, I tried a tequila negroni over the weekend, and it was...curious, in a good way. Shocked me because I'm a gin purist normally.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

To be honest, caipirinhas were very easy to get in Spain.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

smackfu posted:

To be honest, caipirinhas were very easy to get in Spain.

So are most cocktails. That doesn't mean they're "Spanish" to any reasonable degree.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

There aren't many cocktails of origin outside of the US historically, it's our tradition. That said, you have great sherries, brandies and Madeiras to work with. Take the Creole Contemptment, 1 1/2 Cognac (sub Spanish brandy) 1 1/2 Madeira, 1/4 Maraschino, dash of Angostura. Cocktails are more likely inspired by or made with regional ingredients, but rarely from that region. Use Spanish Pisco, it's profound in pepper character. Use it as a substitute for tequila in a house daisy that maintains what some know from the Margarita, while staying thematic and relevant to the restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Choom Gangster posted:

There aren't many cocktails of origin outside of the US historically, it's our tradition.

:raise:

• Locked thread