Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Fortis posted:

Let's use Sonos devices to play music all around the office!

Ugh, this is something I cannot tolerate. I am a real dick about this, and I don't care. I don't want to hear your lovely taste in music, I don't care if it's "down real low." I am trying to loving work, which usually means I am trying to loving think, and there's nothing worse than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

AlternateAccount posted:

Ugh, this is something I cannot tolerate. I am a real dick about this, and I don't care. I don't want to hear your lovely taste in music, I don't care if it's "down real low." I am trying to loving work, which usually means I am trying to loving think, and there's nothing worse than this.
Agreed, people need to put on some drat headphones.

That said, I am one of those music people - I am drat near always in headphones, and since I started working at home, the only time I mute music/TV/movie is when the phone rings. Other than that, it's all day every day. I don't need to turn it off to concentrate, however if I do concentrate I'll reach a spot where "oh poo poo, album ended an hour ago, didn't even notice", it just goes away. But of course, and this goes back to your point, that's because it's my music, I'm not being intruded on by someone's bmm-tshh-bmm-tshh-bmm-tshh from 25 feet away. (e: and if I really do need to turn it off, global hotkeys are the best thing going. ctrl-alt-num pad enter pauses music, ctrl-alt-num pad + pauses video, good stuff...)

e: Pissing me off: a project manager trying to put me in a spot where I either look bad or have to do someone else's job.

Got an email from a project manager with an asinine request that'll take half my day and isn't even my responsibility (and strictly speaking, I'd probably hear some stern words if I did it. stepping on toes, separation of duties and all that). She copied the person it's for.
Her: Stripe, can you X for Meredith?
Me: That is handled by our operations team, they can be reached at (phone) or (email).
Her: Aww can you help us out, just this once?
Me: I did help you out, I put you in touch with the appropriate people.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 16, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Agreed, people need to put on some drat headphones.

Yes. But even then, in my current spot, my desk is literally 30+ feet from the nearest other person, and she cranks her cheap earbuds up so high I can identify the song.

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

Yes. But even then, in my current spot, my desk is literally 30+ feet from the nearest other person, and she cranks her cheap earbuds up so high I can identify the song.

I think I'm lucky in the fact that anyone playing music in the office is generally either playing some kind of classical or electronic, both of which I very much enjoy.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Simpleboo posted:

I think I'm lucky in the fact that anyone playing music in the office is generally either playing some kind of classical or electronic, both of which I very much enjoy.

Last example I can think of was this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7UrFYvl5TE
I keep a bookmark to that video saved under "To Induce Vomiting." :barf:

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

thebigcow posted:

Did it look like a swamp?

Not enough palmettos and mosquitos. Probably smelled like poo though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's bad enough that the release notes for HP switch firmware are a PDF portfolio that is only capable of displaying an "Open this in Acrobat" message in Chrome, but then when you download it pulls this bullshit:

What. The. gently caress.

Edit: After installing Flash I was rewarded with two images of the release notes and software feature upgrade notes which when double clicked on popped up inside a Flash PDF viewer. There was a download button in this viewer to save a PDF to my pc. These two files together are 933KB. The original PDF with the Flash viewer inside was 1889KB.

Who comes up with this poo poo?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 16, 2014

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Apparently you can embed all sorts of poo poo in PDF now.

Submit a bug report to HP and see what they say.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Just be glad they didn't recursively embed that poo poo.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Wasn't one of you going to report on a coworker who sicced a lawyer on his rear end in a top hat boss?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lum posted:

Can I call the indirect discrimination card here? :j:

I know some ladies can grow wispy beards. Do so, and you won't get sent off to client sites either.

Gender equality maintained :colbert:

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
We're a sub on a large government project. The prime is a big name vendor. Among their various duties, they are the hosting vendor. Based on communication I've had with employees of theirs on other projects, they have some decent people. Sadly, they don't seem to be on this project.

None of the systems have any sort of monitoring. Services down? Database backups failing? Transaction log growing to the size of the entire drive it is hosted on because of backups failing and bringing down the system (twice)? Sure, why not. Also, Windows updates? What are those? Let's just not install them for months on end and let the system fail vulnerability tests over and over and freak the customer the hell out.

I was working after hours this evening and I needed to reboot one of the web servers. Twenty minutes later, I still can't establish an RDP connection (though it is pingable). I wouldn't be surprised if it's running through a boatload of Windows updates (maybe even a service pack or two). I told them I'm done for the night. They plan to have someone on site in the morning in case they need to intervene. I hate this project.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

Lum posted:

Get a wig, cut a hole for your mouth, trim up your new stash, and glue it to your face. Now every man in the office will be jealous of your beard.

Edit: I secured (read: duck taped) a mp3 player and two small battery powered speakers under my bosses desk and looped Karma Chameleon with the absolute lowest volume I could use but just barely hear when sitting at the desk. Took about two days for her to start humming the song and complaining that it was stuck in her head. So I think the whole music thing at work would be a fantastic idea, if you played 80's music at the lowest possible volume.

fromoutofnowhere fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 17, 2014

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I don't have any problem coming in, but....

Had a call with some people from California yesterday. "Got to go, the fire is getting too close and we need to evacuate" - pretty good excuse.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lum posted:

If you have long hair, just flip it over in front and stare through it like the girl from the Ring. Problem solved (?).

Aside from being unable to see through it, anyway.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So I'm onsite this weekend to help bring up the network at a recent acquisition. Initially I was supposed to patch in network cables, but the group deploying the computers that would use those cables arrived 4 days before I did, so they put them in. So now I'm supposed to clean up the cablesand make them look pretty, but we will have to come back in a few months to remove old equipment, so any cleanup I do now will be moot when we come back. So now I'm to setup some video equipment, and then just visit locations and help out. But I am not familiar with what the setup process is because no one figured I need to know it.
On the other hand, we are staying in a resort town on a lake and the room I'm in is almost as large as my apartment. Almost makes me wish I was still able to travel for fun, but traveling constantly has ruined that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

So I'm onsite this weekend to help bring up the network at a recent acquisition. Initially I was supposed to patch in network cables, but the group deploying the computers that would use those cables arrived 4 days before I did, so they put them in. So now I'm supposed to clean up the cablesand make them look pretty, but we will have to come back in a few months to remove old equipment, so any cleanup I do now will be moot when we come back. So now I'm to setup some video equipment, and then just visit locations and help out. But I am not familiar with what the setup process is because no one figured I need to know it.
On the other hand, we are staying in a resort town on a lake and the room I'm in is almost as large as my apartment. Almost makes me wish I was still able to travel for fun, but traveling constantly has ruined that.

Re-doing the patch panel with velcro and correct cabling shouldn't be made moot by old equipment being removed soon, should it?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lum posted:

At least in winter you have this as an option: https://www.beardhead.com :v:

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
I'm hoping this was none of you

http://it.emory.edu/windows7-incident/

The updates are their own record of hilarity and worth reading, but here's the crux:

A Windows 7 deployment image was accidently sent to all Windows machines, including laptops, desktops, and even servers. This image started with a repartition/reformat set of tasks. As soon as the accident was discovered, the SCCM server was powered off – however, by that time, the SCCM server itself had been repartitioned and reformatted.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Get a wig, cut a hole for your mouth, trim up your new stash, and glue it to your face. Now every man in the office will be jealous of your beard.

Edit: I secured (read: duck taped) a mp3 player and two small battery powered speakers under my bosses desk and looped Karma Chameleon with the absolute lowest volume I could use but just barely hear when sitting at the desk. Took about two days for her to start humming the song and complaining that it was stuck in her head. So I think the whole music thing at work would be a fantastic idea, if you played 80's music at the lowest possible volume.

Next step - procure this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCb5UHlz5bg and replace her phone.

Jerkodactyl
May 17, 2014

Winnie Blue's, mate.

Simpleboo posted:

I'm green with envy. Normally, my boss plays the likes of CCR, John Denver, Fleetwood, the Beatles... In other words, genuinely good music, but as soon as he leaves, my co-worker changes it to some pop station. Which means I have to endure hearing Lady Gaga and Bruno Mars for the rest of my shift. It doesn't exactly help that she doesn't have a drop of knowledge concerning any songs or artists from any time prior to the late 90s.

On the bright side, the radio isn't very loud, so selective hearing isn't too much of a challenge.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

thebigcow posted:

Apparently you can embed all sorts of poo poo in PDF now.

Because adobe is the worst and doesn't realize that Flash was terrible because the nature of what they twisted it into made it impossible to secure. Now they'll do that with PDF and we'll all abandon that poo poo as well.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

For the last time adding more vCPU's to your VM will not make it faster... No I am not going to deploy virtual desktops with 2 cores, do you want the environment to come to a grinding halt? loving vendors are the thorn in my side this week.

The fact that everyone believes this is wonderful for us because we charge by the vCPU. The best part is, it usually works the opposite in resource restricted environments.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

JosephSkunk posted:

I'm hoping this was none of you

http://it.emory.edu/windows7-incident/

The updates are their own record of hilarity and worth reading, but here's the crux:

A Windows 7 deployment image was accidently sent to all Windows machines, including laptops, desktops, and even servers. This image started with a repartition/reformat set of tasks. As soon as the accident was discovered, the SCCM server was powered off – however, by that time, the SCCM server itself had been repartitioned and reformatted.

link posted:

We are close to having a more automated process to reimagine computers

I don't have hands on experience with SCCM but how the hell does it deploy itself on top of itself? I'm not sure if I want to ask what kind of crazy combination of settings led to this or if I want to ask why this doesn't happen more often.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Brut posted:

I don't have hands on experience with SCCM but how the hell does it deploy itself on top of itself? I'm not sure if I want to ask what kind of crazy combination of settings led to this or if I want to ask why this doesn't happen more often.

SCCM by default has an All Systems collection. You target that collection with a task to reformat and oops!

(There's not much in the way of warnings, SCCM assumes you know what you're doing.)

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thel posted:

(There's not much in the way of warnings, SCCM assumes you know what you're doing.)

And quite frankly, there shouldn't be. It's an enterprise level system and is not meant to be used by people who A) don't know what they're doing or B) aren't careful. I mean, I suppose it wouldn't be terrible to at least have a selectable option to have the server doublecheck if you apply something to the default All Systems collection and warn you, but generally you shouldn't be applying things to that collection anyway (if you absolutely need one, at least set up your own labeled "All <company> Systems" so you still explicitly know what you're selecting). This is just another instance of someone being very uncareful with a very powerful tool, and the tool doing exactly what it was meant to do.

Hell I'm rarely making GPO / SCCM changes that affect more than 100-400 computers because we don't have clients larger than that, and I still painstakingly doublecheck those to make sure I'm not about to blow something up. Making changes on a system that controls OVER 9000 computers? (sorry) I think I'd want at least one other person to look at my changes before they got pushed out (and of course make those changes on a test network first).

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
4x2TB drives in this physical server. Each drive is partitioned as 8GB, 1.7TB, 1.7 TB. Two RAID1s: md0 is sda1-sdb1, md1 is sdc1-sdd1. Only md0 is mounted, as /. md2 is RAID5, composed of sda2, sdb2, sdc2, sdd2. md3 is also RAID5, composed of sda3-sdd3. md2 and md3 are mirrored.

Is there any scenario where this makes any kind of sense? Because either my coworker whose machine it is is senile or it was set up by someone who recently left, and when old coworker comes back from vacation I'm not really looking forward to broaching the subject.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thel posted:

SCCM by default has an All Systems collection. You target that collection with a task to reformat and oops!

Eh, honestly I can't see any reason for there to be a default ALL SYSTEMS group, it just seems like it invites issues like this.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

AlternateAccount posted:

Eh, honestly I can't see any reason for there to be a default ALL SYSTEMS group, it just seems like it invites issues like this.

Our guys did exactly this with the ie8 upgrade - deployed to all desktops instead of the pilot group. This proved that they were being a big bunch of babies about the deployment though as it all went fine.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

AlternateAccount posted:

It's not a collection I ever target a Deployment against, but I use it for Queries all the time. Stuff like, "show me everything on subnet x."

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

FeloniousDrunk posted:

4x2TB drives in this physical server. Each drive is partitioned as 8GB, 1.7TB, 1.7 TB. Two RAID1s: md0 is sda1-sdb1, md1 is sdc1-sdd1. Only md0 is mounted, as /. md2 is RAID5, composed of sda2, sdb2, sdc2, sdd2. md3 is also RAID5, composed of sda3-sdd3. md2 and md3 are mirrored.

Is there any scenario where this makes any kind of sense? Because either my coworker whose machine it is is senile or it was set up by someone who recently left, and when old coworker comes back from vacation I'm not really looking forward to broaching the subject.

Maybe he was following one of those insane HOWTOs that insist on overly complicated partitioning and not trusting volume managers to do their thing?

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

I know the "On call" debate has occurred more than a few times in this thread but Saturday was interesting. I got a call at 7am because a user couldn't log in, and since I was up I fixed the issue real quick. A little later in the day my supervisor texted me asking me to call one of our remote locations because their internet was down. Even later then the owner called me asking me to "If I have time" come fix a system in our client services department. Other than the first issue, because it was something I could do very quickly and from home, I ignored. I don't get paid to work Saturdays so I'm not going to answer your calls or texts on Saturday.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You should have ignored the first call as well. Don't go setting a precedence.

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Caged posted:

You should have ignored the first call as well. Don't go setting a precedence.

I realized this as soon as the second call/ text came in. No matter how easy I should've ignored it.

beerbot
May 9, 2012
Being the VoIP guy.
:smithicide:

9/10 trouble reports are from people in offices as opposed to cubes and when the person is using speakerphone (at max volume of course). The offices all have either 1 or 2 glass walls. I feel like the problems stem from acoustic echo but I just don't know what else to do about it. Already set the mic gain down. And the people in offices are obviously the worst.
:guinness:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

beerbot posted:

Being the VoIP guy.
:smithicide:

9/10 trouble reports are from people in offices as opposed to cubes and when the person is using speakerphone (at max volume of course). The offices all have either 1 or 2 glass walls. I feel like the problems stem from acoustic echo but I just don't know what else to do about it. Already set the mic gain down. And the people in offices are obviously the worst.
:guinness:

Oh boy, environment caused sound problems suck. You start getting into things like how far is the phone from the wall/cubical wall, are there things in the environment that vibrate, like windows, metal cabinets, etc, is it under an overhanging cabinet. etc? I hate it when you have to get to that detail, as opposed to just getting a sniff and pointing out the jitter.

What phones are these? And if you say early firmware Avaya 96x1 phones, you're screwed.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Got two interviews next week. One for HP which is less than a mile away from my house, the other for a company downtown about 20 minutes away. Both offer 40k more than I am currently making and benefits.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pissing me off right now that isn't specifically related to the workplace: Web pages that jump around while loading. Especially forum threads that have a bunch of pictures.

Why the hell can't browsers just keep the viewport relative to where you're looking at the page, and if more content loads outside of view above the viewport shift that part of the page upwards so the viewport stays at the same place on the page. Currently all browsers just keep the viewport relative to the top of the page. :argh:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lum posted:

I know you got a ton of responses, but google "bearded lady of guildford".

Then proceed to grow a beard :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Not pissing me off: getting to the airport, and seeing 4 lines spilling out of the barriers...and one glorious line with nobody in it. Not. One. Person. :slick:

Pissing me off: the lovely mid-50's music playing far too loudly on the airport speakers. Couldn't they play something quietly, preferably without vocals? The gate agents and flight attendants are bad enough at leaving the mic on max. I suppose this boils down to "People who don't know how to use the volume control in a socially responsible manner."