Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Night Blade posted:

Don't know what to say, it never even occurred to me. Non Solid object, pure melee user? Didn't need to think too much on the boss, Life Gem + Chugging Estus while just mashing attack.

First time I fought Nashandra I thought they were some kind of spell charging up or else that they would explode/do damage if I got close. That was why I started throwing lightning at her, but then she didn't really follow up on the orbs and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Darklurker really should've been the final boss, it's a fun fight and it's a shame that a lot of people probably aren't gonna see it because of how hidden it is.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I didn't break the obs my first time because it never occurred to me to do so. Wasn't even sure what they did, so I didn't go near them, all three of us just pelted her with lightning until she died :v:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
And by "good weapon to make mundane" I mean "weird weapon almost no one uses"

Except the ladle.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The game takes a deep drop in quality after the dragon shrine where you just backtrack to a couple places because you need to go back into the past to get a giants soul to do something for some reason? and then Nashandra shows up but she is gross and has a skeleton dress now? I didn't even really know why I was suppose to be there compared to reaching the Kiln and Gwyn in the first game

A fight like Gwyn or anything from the DS1 DLC I feel are the best bosses they could of done for a final boss, something so hyper aggressive that a spellcaster couldn't just sit back and 100% 0% the boss before needing to dodge more then once like Nashandra.

I mostly just didn't like Nashandra because she was unfairly punishing to pure melee with that curse gas that you may or may not be able to destroy based on your weapons moveset while being extremely easy and slow for any spellcaster when it should of been the opposite.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

It does make the "Nashandra wants you to win" or "You're Nashandra's final boss" theories hold more water when the fight is easy from our perspective. Doesn't make the fight any better if those are true, just makes it more Maiden Astraea-esque where the actual battle isn't the key part of the confrontation. Then again, I've seen enough people struggle against her that I'm hesitant to call Nashandra too easy.

She's still better than True Allant.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I mostly just didn't like Nashandra because she was unfairly punishing to pure melee with that curse gas that you may or may not be able to destroy based on your weapons moveset while being extremely easy and slow for any spellcaster when it should of been the opposite.

I... thought she was painfully easy as pure melee? I'm a 40/40 melee build and I just hit her with my Curved Dragon Greatsword +5 until she died, just taking all the curse as it came. she was dead before it even took off 1/3 of my health bar.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just because you didn't have any trouble doesn't mean the boss' mechanics aren't still punishing to your playstyle. Basically all of her attacks scream "hey you, don't get close to me" and then if you do get close to her you suffer unavoidable damage. It's just that, by this point in the game, you're kitted out to the point where said unavoidable damage is negligible.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Fashion Souls 2!

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Just because you didn't have any trouble doesn't mean the boss' mechanics aren't still punishing to your playstyle. Basically all of her attacks scream "hey you, don't get close to me" and then if you do get close to her you suffer unavoidable damage. It's just that, by this point in the game, you're kitted out to the point where said unavoidable damage is negligible.

yeah, that's true. I guess if you didn't have much in the way of HP it would probably be harder, and maybe I got lucky to a degree.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here is my Fashion Souls contribution for the day.

Vangarian armor, Benhart's gloves/boots.

Alternatively, hard leather chestpiece, traveler's gloves, hollow soldier leggings.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

She's still better than True Allant.

I don't get this. Why do people talk about True Allant as if he's the final boss of DeS? He's there for story reasons, the actual final boss is the False King.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

Internet Kraken posted:

It just makes zero sense that they would put effort into the joke boss but not the final boss.

For whatever reason, From closes out a lot of their games poorly, whether it be bad area design, bad bosses, or just a lame way to end the story. The only ending fight I've liked out of those games was the Gwyn fight in DS1, and even that fight wasn't too hard once you figured him out. Then in this game, you just fight a sluggish boss that telegraphs everything hard, and sit in a chair where you do...something.

It's a shame, because most of their games are a lot of fun, and would be even greater if they could just figure out how to close the show better.

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 19, 2014

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah, that's true. I guess if you didn't have much in the way of HP it would probably be harder, and maybe I got lucky to a degree.
I was expecting to utterly smash her with pure melee, but I rarely upgraded my HP throughout the whole game so getting cursed+lifedrained had me scrambling to do damage control while any errant attack from her would one-shot me. Luckily I had sorcery to fall back on, but again, it never even occurred to me to destroy those orbs which would've made pure melee very doable.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I was expecting to utterly smash her with pure melee, but I rarely upgraded my HP throughout the whole game so getting cursed+lifedrained had me scrambling to do damage control while any errant attack from her would one-shot me. Luckily I had sorcery to fall back on, but again, it never even occurred to me to destroy those orbs which would've made pure melee very doable.

You can always use an effigy to reverse being cursed if it gets bad.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Thumbtacks posted:

And by "good weapon to make mundane" I mean "weird weapon almost no one uses"

Except the ladle.

I have never seen a machete in the wild. I'm not sure on the math but it looks like it'd probably benefit from mundane. Still probably be bad though. All the reapers are pretty rare.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get this. Why do people talk about True Allant as if he's the final boss of DeS? He's there for story reasons, the actual final boss is the False King.

Because you have to fight True Allant to beat the game. Technically after beating False Allant you could go back and do other worlds you haven't compleated so technically it's not the boss that puts things into a winstate condition so you HAVE TO consider the True King as the final boss not the False King. :goonsay: It's retarded but that's how I've heard it described basically.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can always use an effigy to reverse being cursed if it gets bad.
Using an effigy was pretty low on my list- I needed to mitigate lifedrain with half of my normal health capacity while not getting hit and try to get attacks off (I figured if I attacked her enough I'd cause her to stagger or something and the orbs would go away). Using an effigy would've been a drop in a bucket anyway, I'd probably have just gotten cursed back down again. I tried wearing a bunch of curse-resist poo poo too, and while I lasted longer, it still wasn't enough defense. I didn't have the ring, however, I forgot who sold it and I never bought it because I didn't think I'd ever need it, seeing as curse was a total joke every time I'd encountered it previously.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
I just leveled a punchy fist cleric up to go bellcop and do some fisticuffs in lowbie PvP (with magic spears too of course). Literally four out of the five trespassers I got before I quit in frustration had infinite health -- like, lightning spear to the face doing a bunch of damage but not moving their healthbar. This is only at 150k SM. Is anyone else seeing this that frequently at lower levels? Because this is pretty terrible, and I'm hoping it's just a weird statistical fluke.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

FuriousGeorge posted:

I have 270+ ratings on one that says "man... and then woman!" in the little room after Things Betwixt (which is the first place you can put messages).

You get a lot of those around the shaking basilisk carts in Aldia's Keep.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Strange thing just happened to me. Started a NG+ recently and I joined the Way of Blue, because I figured that there were some bluecops that could use the work. Not too long later I get invaded, and a blue gets summoned to aid me almost immediately... despite the fact that I wasn't wearing the way of blue ring. What could cause this?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Doctor Zaius posted:

Strange thing just happened to me. Started a NG+ recently and I joined the Way of Blue, because I figured that there were some bluecops that could use the work. Not too long later I get invaded, and a blue gets summoned to aid me almost immediately... despite the fact that I wasn't wearing the way of blue ring. What could cause this?

You don't need to wear the ring.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

Genocyber posted:

You don't need to wear the ring.

Huh, weird, always thought you did. Good to know!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wearing the ring gets you summoned by other peeps who need help. But yeah if you are part of the covenant you still get the perks of a blue cop.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I'm just wrapping up NG++ and despite having 50 vitality (although fully hollow with the ring of binding), Nashandra's attacks absolutely do one-shot me. I wonder how much HP I'd need just to survive a single scythe or beam.

I never noticed those were orbs she was making, though. They just looked like little dark geysers so I thought there wouldn't be anything to hit in the first place. I wish I knew about that an hour ago. :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Shindragon posted:

Wearing the ring gets you summoned by other peeps who need help. But yeah if you are part of the covenant you still get the perks of a blue cop.

They're talking about WAY of the Blue, not Blue Sentinels.

To make this abundantly clear:

Way of the Blue does not need to wear the ring to have Blue Cops show up and help

Blue Sentinels DO have to wear their ring to be summoned to help

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I started a new character and was running through FoFG and the trapped chest near the chloranthy ring had a bright reddish-pink gas/mist come out of it. Poison is always green, so was this a glitch or just some trap I've never ever seen before?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Colapops posted:

I started a new character and was running through FoFG and the trapped chest near the chloranthy ring had a bright reddish-pink gas/mist come out of it. Poison is always green, so was this a glitch or just some trap I've never ever seen before?

Probably just the lightning affecting its color.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
Does anyone who gets summoned by boss at the Mirror Knight actually live for more than a few seconds? I've been Sunbroing there for a while, and when someone gets called in they are pasted in seconds - I imagine it might be fun if you get called in to a situation where someone is solo fighting the boss. Otherwise it looks like a waste of time?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Saltin posted:

Does anyone who gets summoned by boss at the Mirror Knight actually live for more than a few seconds? I've been Sunbroing there for a while, and when someone gets called in they are pasted in seconds - I imagine it might be fun if you get called in to a situation where someone is solo fighting the boss. Otherwise it looks like a waste of time?

Yeah, of course. I actually won in one of my two attempts. The other time I got slaughtered by a three man team.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Boss fights are usually extremely easy when you have two phantoms helping you. Mirror Knight is no exception, even when he summons a player character. All it takes is one person to keep Mirror Knight occupied, leaving two people free to gang up on the mirror squire. Unless they are really incompetent or you are running a cheap build, you're probably gonna get squashed. Its only really fun when you get summoned against a solo person, or someone with only 1 helper.

Just another problem with the fight, but I wouldn't consider it much of one if the summoning wasn't completely broken. The reason its a waste of time is because its so hard to get summoned in the first place and you have to deal with trolls and invaders while trying to do so. Not worth doing that even if you always got a good fight.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I can't remember NG Nashandra, but at higher bonfire intensities, the scythe and laser pointer are both 1-hit kills. Even so, I've died more times from falling off the ledge in that arena than from anything Nashandra does. I've had similar problems with the Throne Watcher and Defender. The real final boss is gravity. That's the super secret subtext of DS2.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, of course. I actually won in one of my two attempts. The other time I got slaughtered by a three man team.

So you beat a dude going solo and then got pasted by a three man? I only ask because it looks like fun to play the spoiler but every fight I've been in on has been a three on one.

Saltin fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 19, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The floating "Let there be light..." message from Dark Souls 1 is back with a vengeance! :toot:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
On my no bonfire run:

Just finished Velstadt, grab my ring.

And now I just...

I just...

:stonk:

Orv
May 4, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

On my no bonfire run:

And now I just...

I just...

Run fast.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Amazing chest ahead

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

turtlecrunch posted:

On my no bonfire run:

And now I just...

I just...

This is why I'll never do a no bonfire run. Walking back through every area sounds like the most tedious thing ever. Plus I'm sure I'd accidentally sit down in Majula out of habit.

CJacobs posted:

The floating "Let there be light..." message from Dark Souls 1 is back with a vengeance! :toot:

I saw this a week ago. Its probably the highest rated message in the game. I'm not sure how they got it to float in the first place though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Saltin posted:

So you beat a dude going solo and then got pasted by a three man? I only ask because it looks like fun to play the spoiler but every fight I've been in on has been a three on one.

It was the other way around, but yes. You basically have to get lucky. It's why I don't try very often. Well, that and the time investment be necessary to get summoned at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

I saw this a week ago. Its probably the highest rated message in the game. I'm not sure how they got it to float in the first place though.

They used cheat engine to move their character into the air, put the message down, and changed the rating super duper high so it'll never leave. I'm personally glad to see it.