Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Good thing you didn't get traded to the Boston Braves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby
Just threw a no-hitter with Julio Teheran against the Cardinals! I ended up with one walk on a 3-2 pitch that could have been called a strike. The most exciting part was in the 6th inning when BJ Upton dove at a line drive and picked it right off the ground. I thought for sure it was going to be a hit. Also just realized it was the same date in the franchise as today just by chance.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

ExCruceLeo posted:

Just had a game with throwback jerseys and my Giants team was wearing jerseys with NY logo. Was that a bug or some baseball history that I don't know?

In a different game I also threw a no-hitter through 9 but my team couldn't score so I gave up a hit in the 11th with like 130 pitches.

This is adorable

crackage
Sep 20, 2004

by Ralp

Oh Adaira posted:

Just threw a no-hitter with Julio Teheran against the Cardinals! I ended up with one walk on a 3-2 pitch that could have been called a strike. The most exciting part was in the 6th inning when BJ Upton dove at a line drive and picked it right off the ground. I thought for sure it was going to be a hit. Also just realized it was the same date in the franchise as today just by chance.

may I ask what kind of pitching type you use?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
For anyone who likes to cheat enhance their experience, I'm selling my gamestop pre-order stub bonus code for $12
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635117

crackage
Sep 20, 2004

by Ralp
I still can't figure out pitching in this game. I'm using meter, why is everyone hitting dingers off of me even though I get generally close to the tiny line every time I throw a pitch?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The line measures your vertical accuracy and how far off the bar the ball will be below or above where you placed it. When coming back up if you press left or right to lineup with the baseball icon on the horizontal bar will determine your horizontabl accuracy. If your vertical is perfect it doesn't do much good if you still end up up placing it right down the middle of the plate.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Good thing my manager trotted me out there for the 9th with an empty energy meter and a 116 pitch count. Through 8 I had 16 strikeouts, 2 hits, no walks, no runs. Got pulled with 2 out in the 9th after giving up 3 hits and 2 runs with a 142 pitch count.

I think dusty baker manages for the phillies AA team.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lumpy posted:

Good thing my manager trotted me out there for the 9th with an empty energy meter and a 116 pitch count. Through 8 I had 16 strikeouts, 2 hits, no walks, no runs. Got pulled with 2 out in the 9th after giving up 3 hits and 2 runs with a 142 pitch count.

I think dusty baker manages for the phillies AA team.

In the minors, they'll usually leave you out there to try and let you get a complete game shutout. I don't know if that's true to life, but from a gaming perspective I'd probably be more pissed about getting pulled if I wanted to finish the shutout. I haven't gotten pulled until I gave up a run or ended up with a minor injury like blister on finger.

It would be nice if they gave you a "signal the coach that your arm is dead" option if you just want to protect your ERA, though.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

StarkRavingMad posted:

In the minors, they'll usually leave you out there to try and let you get a complete game shutout. I don't know if that's true to life, but from a gaming perspective I'd probably be more pissed about getting pulled if I wanted to finish the shutout. I haven't gotten pulled until I gave up a run or ended up with a minor injury like blister on finger.

It would be nice if they gave you a "signal the coach that your arm is dead" option if you just want to protect your ERA, though.

Yeah, definitely. Wasn't so much about the ERA, but that my pitches were not going anywhere near the targets even if I was hitting the vertical and horizontal perfectly.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

edit: wrong thread

ForbiddenWonder fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 18, 2014

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby

crackage posted:

may I ask what kind of pitching type you use?

Pulse.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm brought in in the 5th, have 4 shut down innings. Game's tied and they leave me in for the 10th. Tigers get a hit. I get a double play ball, error, one out. I get a double play ball, error, two outs. They steal third. Miggy misses a suicide squeeze bunt and then lines strike 4 up the middle. :argh: Royals

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Anyone got a link to a decent pitching tutorial? I was pretty good at it in MLB 12 but last year and this year I suck for some reason.

Decided not to mess around with sliders too much this year and stay the gently caress away from Operation Sports. In previous years I've cared more about statistical realism than having fun, and gently caress that poo poo.

paint dry fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 18, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The crowds are super white.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So with Diamond Dynasty is it better to train up your players or to just buy packs to get better players? It seems like its better to get Dynasty players and work in a few MLB players at times.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Rad Valtar posted:

So with Diamond Dynasty is it better to train up your players or to just buy packs to get better players? It seems like its better to get Dynasty players and work in a few MLB players at times.
Training up your players will generally be better, or at least it seems that way.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Must play by ear

crackage
Sep 20, 2004

by Ralp
I like that you can't extend contracts in Diamond Dynasty. It prevents people from having the same lineup of 90+ players every time. Of course this is the one game they get it right for online matters and I can't play online :unsmith:

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
loving sliders, how do they work? Even when I whiff on other kinds of pitches, somewhere my brain told me not to swing and I ignored it. With sliders, my brain still swears that was going to be a strike even when it's 2 feet off the plate or right at my hands. Is there something to look for with sliders?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

The injury mechanics are still hilarious in this game. My pitcher took a line drive to the face, stayed standing and ran to first to put out the runner, and was pulled from the game due to a bruised rib.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
So is it possible at all to build your RTTS player to an elite level without spending money? Seems like once you get into the 60s/70s the price per point starts to ratchet up quickly.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

DangerKat posted:

So is it possible at all to build your RTTS player to an elite level without spending money? Seems like once you get into the 60s/70s the price per point starts to ratchet up quickly.

I imagine you could with a few seasons worth of play. I preordered on PSN so I just plopped the free 5000 into contact and speed. My guy's an 86 overall towards the tail of his first season. Still a C potential though as the best hitter in AAA at age 19, somehow. :psyduck:

All of the dingers.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Eifert Posting posted:

I imagine you could with a few seasons worth of play. I preordered on PSN so I just plopped the free 5000 into contact and speed. My guy's an 86 overall towards the tail of his first season. Still a C potential though as the best hitter in AAA at age 19, somehow. :psyduck:

All of the dingers.

Yeah how do those potential grades even work? They seem completely meaningless.

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play

gleep gloop posted:

Um, are you telling me that soon-to-retire 40-year old Derek Jeter is not an A potential? Cause I see a bright future for him.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I can't justify getting a PS4 just for one game, so I'm still slumming it up with my copy of The Show 11. My current problem is that I keep getting sent down in RTTS. I'm now in my 3rd season where I've been a major league starter coming out of spring training, put up cartoonish numbers for a few months, get inured and then spend the rest of the season in AAA. The message I always get is "[My player's name] has come off the DL. Unfortunately, that means we have to make space on the roster, so you're being sent down to AAA for the time being." Is this a glitch or what? I understand the concept of rehabbing, but I don't think that's what you call it when you keep a guy who was hitting .360 at the All Star break in AAA during a pennant race.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

DangerKat posted:

You can get to a pretty decent level in a couple of seasons before having to really grind out the points for high contact and power

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

How about pitching?

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby

KDdidit posted:

loving sliders, how do they work? Even when I whiff on other kinds of pitches, somewhere my brain told me not to swing and I ignored it. With sliders, my brain still swears that was going to be a strike even when it's 2 feet off the plate or right at my hands. Is there something to look for with sliders?

There was a situation tonight where it was 0-2 and I told myself, yep, this is definitely going to be a slider that starts on the outside corner and ends up way outside. *DON'T loving SWING*. Of course it was exactly where I was looking for it and I swung and missed horribly. I just don't know anymore. After years of playing this game I can lay off low change-ups and 12-6 curves, but I will never hit that loving slider. It's like it has no spin or speed cues. I'm sorry. Just do what major leaguers do I guess and just resign yourself to the fact that you're going to strike out 1/4 of the time.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

gleep gloop posted:

I had a C potential on my 3B that was drafted in the third round, a D on my pitcher that got drafted in the sixth, and my new pitcher got taken in the middle of the first round and is a B potential. Both pitchers have the exact same costs to raise stats near as I can tell, so it appears potential does nothing. My 3B had his go from a C to a B too. I don't know why.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Jesus. I've really enjoyed finally having a killer app for my PS4, but would it have killed them to get more than ten licensed tracks for the soundtrack? The PS4 needs mp3 and custom soundtrack support like yesterday.

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions.

DrNutt posted:

Jesus. I've really enjoyed finally having a killer app for my PS4, but would it have killed them to get more than ten licensed tracks for the soundtrack? The PS4 needs mp3 and custom soundtrack support like yesterday.

I think the Music Unlimited service allows you to do just that, but you need to pay for it. It's probably the reason there is no other way to have a custom soundtrack, they want users to pay.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Karl Ontario posted:

I think the Music Unlimited service allows you to do just that, but you need to pay for it. It's probably the reason there is no other way to have a custom soundtrack, they want users to pay.

After doing a little research, you can use Music Unlimited to stream in any game, but it can't be used for at-bat music or HR celebrations or anything. Soooo. Yeah, who the gently caress was in charge of the music stuff in this game? They should probably be loving fired.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think I've been spoiled by FIFA, the soundtrack blows. Even though NBA 2K had just as few a number of songs, they were at least good and recognizable.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I'm so bad with Zone hitting but I'm getting really frustrated with the timing hitting auto-aim sucking on hittable pitches. I guess the only solution is to get better with Zone.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

KDdidit posted:

Yeah, I think I've been spoiled by FIFA, the soundtrack blows. Even though NBA 2K had just as few a number of songs, they were at least good and recognizable.

If this game had the NBA 2K soundtrack, I could at least just loop Phil Collins and it would be okay. Actually I liked pretty much everything but that lovely Drake song. I still feel like there were at least twice as many songs in NBA 2K and the music doesn't play constantly while you're waiting days for the next thing to load.

e: Honestly it kind of blows my mind that between the two soundtracks, the one featuring Sean 'Puffy' Combs is objectively better.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 20, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Who gives a poo poo about music. I have a dozen devices in my house that can play whatever music I want. I buy a baseball game to play baseball and their online code sucks major dick so I can't even do that half the time. Over half the games, if you're lucky enough to even finish one, don't even record in Online Franchise. No word from San Diego about the issue either.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
so evidently there was a patch released today but I can't find any patch notes online.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
The show always has the weirdest god damned soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

The Piper posted:

so evidently there was a patch released today but I can't find any patch notes online.

Yeah, they made a point of releasing notes for the 1st ps3 patch, but nothing for the day 1 patch or this one. "various bug fixes" seems to be all we get.

• Locked thread