Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj5CSgodwVc

Release date: PS3/Vita: April 1 PS4: May 6 :siren: OUT NOW :siren:
Platforms: PS3/PS4/Vita

quote:

Without revealing too much, we did want to give you a taste of some of the many advancements we’re making to the product for 2014. Here are just a few:

We know how much time and effort our fans put into their Seasons, Franchises, and Road To The Show players. So beginning with MLB 14 The Show, you can now carry over your saves to future versions of MLB The Show. MLB 14 The Show lays the foundation for year-to-year saves, meaning you never have to worry about starting your Franchise or Road to the Show seasons over!

Thanks to the power of PS4, MLB 14 The Show is going to be the most beautiful baseball product we’ve ever created.

For some of you, full 9-inning baseball games may be too long for your liking, so we’ve created an all-new Quick Counts option, which utilizes generated pitch counts allowing gamers to play through full games faster than ever. Realistic statistics in this shortened gameplay experience have not been compromised. Users will now be able to play a full 9 inning game in less than 30 minutes, essentially cutting traditional game times in half.

We think Road To The Show is the deepest, most realistic single-player experience in sports video games, and we’re making it even better. A few of the new features include a new advancement system, new intuitive player creation process, and all new pre-draft prospect showcase.

And finally, what makes baseball great are those “big moments.” The power of PS4 will allow gamers to share those moments using the new “share feature” by capturing and publishing their most thrilling baseball moments, from hitting a game-winning grand slam, to picking off a runner at first for a crucial win in a World Series game.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/04/mlb-14-the-show-coming-to-ps4-ps3-ps-vita-spring-2014/

e: removed screenshots

Want to play against other goons? This way: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632136

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm not in to video games but my word that looks pretty darn good.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
E: we have a thread for this, go here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632136

Alright guys

SAS GOON LEAGUE SIGNUPS

I need to have an idea of how many people are interested before I create the league to minimize the number of CPU teams. Minimal league size is 6 teams. Max is 30. No fantasy draft.

Best thing is to PM me, but post in the thread is fine too. POST YOUR PSN ID. Tell me what team you prefer. 1st come, 1st serve with teams. I'm not going to arbitrate between who gets what team. Hash it out among yourselves.

DH will be on, and we'll do a round robin where everybody plays everybody else once, at least. Two or three rounds of playoffs, 3 game series.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 7, 2014

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Well, my refusal to upgrade to a PS4 until the price goes down just took a hit.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
This game is definitely a system seller for me (assuming I don't buy a PS4 for NBA 2k). Also, I can't wait till we see the game in motion because the animations in The Show have always been top notch.

My one complaint about last year's game is that they took out a lot of the 'owner mode' features, like setting ticket prices, stadium upgrades, and fan appreciation days. I hope we see it return in this installment.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
We know how much time and effort our fans put into their Seasons, Franchises, and Road To The Show players. So beginning with MLB 14 The Show, you can now carry over your saves to future versions of MLB The Show.

That owns.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Switching to PS4 from Xbox this time around and can't wait to finally be able to play The Show!

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I was already thinking this gen I'd have to become a PlayStation dude, and this just seals that.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I was already thinking this gen I'd have to become a PlayStation dude, and this just seals that.
Same here.

Also generated counts loving own. I can't imagine using them all the time but it's a great option to have. All-Star Baseball had it back in the day and it was cool.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Faltese Malkin posted:

This game is definitely a system seller for me (assuming I don't buy a PS4 for NBA 2k). Also, I can't wait till we see the game in motion because the animations in The Show have always been top notch.

Yeah, I bought a PS3 because of The Show, the 2K games were awful back then. This is definitely making me want a PS4 more now...

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
With rosters carrying over from year to year, this should drastically speed up the process of creating OS rosters in future years

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I was gonna hold off on getting any of the new consoles for a year or two but welp.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Generally speaking, how deep are the stats on MLB The Show?

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

tadashi posted:

Generally speaking, how deep are the stats on MLB The Show?

They're sufficient for a console game, but they are minuscule compared to Out of the Park baseball (though to be fair, OOTP is strictly simulation).

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

All the basic stats are in the game plus in the past couple of years they added advanced stats like this:

quote:

RC - Runs Created
ISO Pwr - isolated power
Sec Avg - secondary average
AB/HR
BB/PA
BB/K
BOP - base out percentage
Bat Runs - batting runs
T Avg - total average
POP - productive out percentage
SLOB - slugging times on base
TPQ - total power quotient
HEQ-Q - Hoban effectiveness quotient for offense
Pwr Spd - power speed number
Pwr Fact - power factor
Pwr Avg - power average
BSR - base runs
RF - range factor

Its not the complete picture and I don't believe there's more advanced stats like wOBA, fWAR, FIP, xFIP, etc.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

SlimBrady posted:

All the basic stats are in the game plus in the past couple of years they added advanced stats like this:

Its not the complete picture and I don't believe there's more advanced stats like wOBA, fWAR, FIP, xFIP, etc.

That's definitely more than enough for a console game. I haven't played a console-style baseball game in awhile so I was just curious.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

If you're looking for a number crunching sim game, then there are way better options out there.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

davecrazy posted:

If you're looking for a number crunching sim game, then there are way better options out there.
Not on a console, there aren't.

(my kingdom for a non-lovely version of MLB Front Office Manager)

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Moe_Rahn posted:

Not on a console, there aren't.

(my kingdom for a non-lovely version of MLB Front Office Manager)

Well yeah, but why bother with that when stuff like WIS exists?

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Stats revert to really basic AVG HR RBI levels at the end of every season in franchise mode. Hopefully in the next gen they can track stats better than that, especially since franchises can be carried over between games now.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inside Outside posted:

Stats revert to really basic AVG HR RBI levels at the end of every season in franchise mode. Hopefully in the next gen they can track stats better than that, especially since franchises can be carried over between games now.

All I want is a game that gives you OBP and SLG for a player any time it shows their stats in addition to whatever else they want to show you. Video games are a great way to educate people about sports. It's the reason I learned how professional hockey and football work when I was growing up and I hope someone on the team for The Show realizes the opportunity to expose more fans to OBP and slugging since people still don't seem to get it.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 7, 2013

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My biggest hope (I don't remember if it was in MLB 12, the last one I played) is for actual player cards that show year by year statistics and what team they were on.

In Madden it's become nearly a chore to view that kind of info

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

The real cool thing you can appreciate about the show is they have basic help that tells you the definition of each stat as an option in their menus as well as others facets like classification of a super 2 player. They put it in to teach you about the game. I don't think I've played a sports game that did this besides the show.

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.

SlimBrady posted:

The real cool thing you can appreciate about the show is they have basic help that tells you the definition of each stat as an option in their menus as well as others facets like classification of a super 2 player. They put it in to teach you about the game. I don't think I've played a sports game that did this besides the show.

This is sweet. I've always been really really jealous of PS3 users soley based on The Show. 2K is garbage and I haven't enjoyed a baseball game since MVP 05 (Great game!). I'm gonna get a PS4 and hopefully this will be even better!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

GameStop has a promotion where you get a code for $20 of in game currency with a preorder.

No idea what that currency is used for and if $20 is a lot of it or not.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
They also have the release date listed as 4/1/14. That is really late for an MLB game. I hope that's not true.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Last years game came out 3/5, one mother later isn't terrible, especially if its pretty much new from the ground up.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
That's nearly a week after the first regular season game.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

You should probably wait until the release date is officially announced instead of going off of gamestop's date before you have a meltdown.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

This is the game that I bought the system for, so the sooner the better as (as long as it's not broken on release), but whenever it comes out, it comes out.

Here, have a picture of Miggy playing playstation.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The whole story there is Miggy and Cutch did a little viral marketing for the PS4.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/winning-mvps-miguel-cabrera-andrew-mccutchen-set-video-010254200--mlb.html

Miggy has a way better K/D but Trout makes up for it with flag defending. :v:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I'll take a game a month later than usual if it cuts down on the bugs, especially on a game coming out on a new generation of console.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

It's back!

It's going to suck!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Developed for iphone, ported to playstation.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

davecrazy posted:

Developed for iphone, ported to playstation.

Ugh, please no.

Toolband
May 28, 2003

Year of the Tiger....probably not but hey we started 2-0
I'm starving for a release date for the Show!

Just want something :(

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011

Toolband posted:

I'm starving for a release date for the Show!

Just want something :(

I am as well.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

New front end:

Have some videos (of the PS3 version?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WE3Q4rmfQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg6JV9BaxUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igKVrst2Jeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh7CQg9-Slc

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 27, 2014

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Yeah that must be the PS3 version. Good god I'm psyched for this game on PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Are we worried that there's no release date or new info yet?

• Locked thread