Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well I'm as big of an invasion magnet as the game will let me be now.

Maybe now I'll actually be able to get some awestones.

CJacobs posted:

They used cheat engine to move their character into the air, put the message down, and changed the rating super duper high so it'll never leave. I'm personally glad to see it.

Oh well that's lame. I thought they found a glitch or something and it just got upvoted a ton because :darksouls: Better than "tongue but hole" being the highest rated message I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I farmed up a monastery scimitar before I put Nashandra in the ground in my NG and I'm in love I'm never going back to a shield you can't make me

addendum: Even on my relatively low-intelligence character (33-ish), the moonlight greatsword was tearing poo poo up. I'm sorry that I came in after they patched out it being buffable.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 19, 2014

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

King of Solomon posted:

It was the other way around, but yes. You basically have to get lucky. It's why I don't try very often. Well, that and the time investment be necessary to get summoned at all.

Its about 50/50 if I get summoned into a three man murder squad, and sometimes I'm just dead before the load finishes. You can hear the sounds of the fight before the loading screen goes away, which usually gives you a good sense of how many people are there, and how likely you are to be dead before the loading screen clears.
If you're hearing alternating sun spears and a firestorm go off, you're probably in for a bad time :)
There's a also the fact that they have all the time in the world to get ready for you, and you have to just mash roll, hope you're not already dead, and quickly look around to figure out what the hell is actually going on and where everyone is.
Given that its an ancillary part of the boss fight, I think that disadvantage is fine, in general.

A few times I've managed to beat a 3 man group when I managed to roll away from the initial spawn, and those were some of the most fun fights I've had so far, using the pillars and the LGK himself as cover.
Normally, in that situation I try to snipe the host, but I've managed to take out both phantoms a few times.
Off-handing a chime for GRS, and a dark claymore in the main hand, though my build is mostly pve too, and has a ton of wasted points in faith to use dragon chime and sun spear, which is pretty terrible in a 1v1, or 1vmany pvp situation so I don't use them. In my case, I'm further disadvantaged, since I'm trying this from ng, but at an inflated SM from co-op, so I'm dropping into ng+ fights and they tend to outgear me, although that's not usually a huge deal.

Its super hard to do anything if there are multiple casters, or even just two melee dudes constantly on your rear end, but that's true any time there's three opponents. Its less likely that sunbro's here will be set up for pvp, but even just multiple lightning slingers can be hard to deal with. Generally no way to buff your weapon unless you get it down to just the host.
Other times, you get summoned into a fight with just the host, or the host and benhardt, and its open season. Host and one phantom can usually be a pretty good even fight.

If you can clip the host with a few sword hits, the vast majority will try to back off and heal, which is a perfect for a GRS snipe.

Also, during reasonable hours, I get summoned really, really frequently. Maybe 1-2 minutes between summons on average, although definitely a few times it takes a while.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Finally got my hands on a drakekeeper's greataxe, this thing is amazingly satisfying to use in both pvp and pve. Hits like a truck and has the animations/sounds to match. A+ would make an axe gimmick character again.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Well I'm as big of an invasion magnet as the game will let me be now.

Maybe now I'll actually be able to get some awestones.

Nope, you're not a Wretch yet. Go get 100 sin.

animatorZed posted:

Given that its an ancillary part of the boss fight, I think that disadvantage is fine, in general.

The big issue is that this shouldn't be an ancillary part of the boss fight, it should be a main thing, to make the fight unique and to make up for LKG being poo poo.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
If it was a main part of the fight then all I can say is thank god for offline mode. I'd probably never beat that boss if I always had to deal with at least one human summon. :(

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Internet Kraken posted:

Nashandra is trivialized by having a pulse. She is ridiculously easy. Offensively so, given that she is the final boss.

It's fairly safe to assume that she wasn't really trying to defeat you. Really, she just wanted to push you as far into undead wretchedness as possible before you took the Throne.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Way of the Blue does not need to wear the ring to have Blue Cops show up and help

Blue Sentinels DO have to wear their ring to be summoned to help

Also worth noting that Sentinels need to be human for the ring to summon them.

Internet Kraken posted:

Boss fights are usually extremely easy when you have two phantoms helping you. Mirror Knight is no exception, even when he summons a player character. All it takes is one person to keep Mirror Knight occupied, leaving two people free to gang up on the mirror squire. Unless they are really incompetent or you are running a cheap build, you're probably gonna get squashed. Its only really fun when you get summoned against a solo person, or someone with only 1 helper.

Just another problem with the fight, but I wouldn't consider it much of one if the summoning wasn't completely broken. The reason its a waste of time is because its so hard to get summoned in the first place and you have to deal with trolls and invaders while trying to do so. Not worth doing that even if you always got a good fight.
The first time I saw all the red summon signs outside the LGK door and fought those horse statues I was really tempted to pull someone in and use my Seed of a Tree of Giants. Actually I probably still should do that.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 19, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Opposing Farce posted:

Also worth noting that Sentinels need to be human for the ring to summon them.

The first time I saw all the red summon signs outside the LGK door and fought all of those horse statues I was really tempted to pull someone in and use my Seed of a Tree of Giants. Actually I probably still should do that.

The Seed won't turn the Knight against a squire, will it? Because that would be funny.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mazed posted:

It's fairly safe to assume that she wasn't really trying to defeat you. Really, she just wanted to push you as far into undead wretchedness as possible before you took the Throne.

Even if that is the case, she still shouldn't be that easy. Its just not appropriate for your final encounter. Its horribly anticlimactic.

Opposing Farce posted:

The first time I saw all the red summon signs outside the LGK door and fought those horse statues I was really tempted to pull someone in and use my Seed of a Tree of Giants. Actually I probably still should do that.

No, you shouldn't. The red phantom will just black crystal out anyways. Don't gently caress up mirror knight summons. People using the summon signs because they think they're so funny is one the reasons that fight never works properly.

That said, are giant seeds even in the game aside from the starting gift? Wiki says they can spawn near a tree giant but I've never seen one.

Cyberventurer posted:

If it was a main part of the fight then all I can say is thank god for offline mode. I'd probably never beat that boss if I always had to deal with at least one human summon. :(

The human phantoms don't get any advantages, so if you can kill them quickly they can't do anything. They're not like the summoned NPC phantoms which have a truckload of health.

VVV That isn't necessarily the case anyways. You can fight the Throne Fuckers right after getting the King's Ring, you just can't do anything with the Throne itself. If you kill them then you'll only fight Nashandra once you reach the end.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 19, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mazed posted:

Nashandra had the interesting gimmick of coming through the fog gate after beating another boss. However, that's her only gimmick, and that's something that's far better suited to an earlier boss, not the final one.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Even if that is the case, she still shouldn't be that easy. Its just not appropriate for your final encounter. Its horribly anticlimactic.

No, you shouldn't. The red phantom will just black crystal out anyways. Don't gently caress up mirror knight summons. People using the summon signs because they think they're so funny is one the reasons that fight never works properly.

That said, are giant seeds even in the game aside from the starting gift? Wiki says they can spawn near a tree giant but I've never seen one.

It's thought that there's a 10 percent chance or so of one spawning on the giant tree near the Soldiers Respite bonfire after you're invaded. I have no idea if the percentage is correct but after my first invasion one spawned there for me.

I also had my second ever invasion today! It was at the Earthen Peak of all places and the Phantom died before I even saw them.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Well she can gently caress up melee characters with good curse bubble positioning, and her scythe attacks tear through shields. Her horizontal beam can come out a bit quick and you can be on the starting side of it in multiplayer and just eat a ton of damage.

I didn't have trouble with a lot of other bosses but she took me a few tries solo.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

The human phantoms don't get any advantages, so if you can kill them quickly they can't do anything. They're not like the summoned NPC phantoms which have a truckload of health.

Their advantage is having a boss chase me down while they play keep-away until they can squeeze a hit in. I find the NPC phantoms infinitely easier because despite their large health pool, they're still just running on AI and it's easier to take advantage of that.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Bell Broing not only gives you ample opportunity to laugh like an insane little man, it also lets you have consequence free practice fighting with Dark Soul's incomprehensible lag.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Nashandra's definitely a pretty easy fight, but the curse orbs sapping your health, the wide swings on her scythe attacks, and the fact that she does a pretty huge chunk of damage on every attack mean there's enough going on to punish you if you gently caress up. I didn't know you could destroy the curse orbs when I fought her so I dealt with them by pulling her away and fighting her in a part of the arena they weren't affecting, so I even managed to die by rolling off the edge when she crowded me into a corner.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Except if they're in full havels and cast great magic barrier while they're in front of the mirror knight so you can't stop them, then proceed to run away from you and spam toxic cloud and great resonant soul. I could do that fight even if the mirror knight summmoned 20 NPC phantoms because my lightning murakumo destroys them in 3 hits, but that fight is impossible against a havelmage.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cyberventurer posted:

Their advantage is having a boss chase me down while they play keep-away until they can squeeze a hit in. I find the NPC phantoms infinitely easier because despite their large health pool, they're still just running on AI and it's easier to take advantage of that.

Mirror Knight is awful at chasing. He's slow as gently caress and only has one jumping move which is massively telegraphed. All of his ranged attacks are easy to dodge and have a casting time of an eternity. Oh yeah and they should never surprise you on account of the :byodood:EXTREMELY loving LOUD LIGHTNING!:byodood: Mirror Knight isn't protecting the phantom, the phantom is protecting Mirror Knight. As a result he's extremely easy to beat because the NPC phantoms are worthless and Mirror Knight isn't fast enough to kill you if you play properly.

VVVV They have a lot of health relative to a player, at least in NG.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NPC Mirror Squires don't have truckloads of health. They have a couple thousand at most, and not particularly great defenses. They're not like NPC summons who are virtually impossible to kill beyond knocking them into a pit.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

I farmed up a monastery scimitar before I put Nashandra in the ground in my NG and I'm in love I'm never going back to a shield you can't make me

Welcome to the club, stop by Iron Keep and have a blast with the Alonne Knights.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Cyberventurer posted:

If you get summoned as the squire, and benhardt is in the fight, its entirely pointless to attack him. Even using GRS which does 700-1000+ damage to a player, it would take maybe 10+ casts of it to kill him, which is more than one stock, and also means that the host or sunbro has an easy opening to murder you.

Compared to normally two GRS casts to kill a player.

Naked GRS is easy to dodge if they're paying attention at all, so I usually try to get in a claymore hit or two first. If it hits, and they roll back afterwards, GRS can usually catch them out of the roll. If its a trade, or they block, I usually roll away and they tend to swing at air, which is a good time to GRS too.

That said, I am generally speaking terrible at most pvp.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Oops. When I said NPC phantoms, I really meant the mirror squires that break out of the shield. To be honest, I didn't even know you could summon Benhart for that fight.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I have made it my life's mission to distribute these (hacked) red eye orbs to level 1 players in the Forest of Fallen Giants. Let there be more invasions!

A disturbing amount of players want to attack this harmless dancing man.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

turtlecrunch posted:

On my no bonfire run:

Just finished Velstadt, grab my ring.

And now I just...

I just...

:stonk:

You DID remember not to hit the King's Gate bonfire and only hit every other bonfire on the way down, right?

EDIT: Best part of my no bonfire run was triggering the switch to get into Huntsmans Copse and dying on the way to the bonfire by falling off a cliff. So I had to go through the Wharf, back through the Bastille, back through Sinner's Rise all the way to the Primal Bonfire so I could get back to Majula and go to the Copse.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 19, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

HellCopter posted:

I have made it my life's mission to distribute these (hacked) red eye orbs to level 1 players in the Forest of Fallen Giants. Let there be more invasions!

A disturbing amount of players want to attack this harmless dancing man.

You should name your giftwraith something friendly. Like Santa Claws! You show up and gift them red eye orbs. You're Santa, so they know you just want to give them a present.

Then you try to murder them with a pair of claws of course.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

A good nerf for Havel equipment would be forbidding magic and miracles, I think. Not that I mind the Havel mages, but it would be funny if From did this.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Focusing purely on Havel's armor is stupid because that's not the inherent problem. The problem is that players can acquire far too much defense allowing for absurd damage mitigation. They can do legit what you had to hack to do in Dks.

Havel's isn't the problem cause you can get absurd defense with other armor sets if you massively overlevel enough. They need to greatly reduce the effect of defense scaling, or put some sort of limit so you can't ever get more than 500 or so.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Cyberventurer posted:

Oops. When I said NPC phantoms, I really meant the mirror squires that break out of the shield. To be honest, I didn't even know you could summon Benhart for that fight.

Ah my bad.

Internet Kraken posted:

All of his ranged attacks are easy to dodge and have a casting time of an eternity. Oh yeah and they should never surprise you on account of the :byodood:EXTREMELY loving LOUD LIGHTNING!:byodood:

Probably the funniest moment in any of my summons was when two sunbro's bunched up to chase after me. I managed to catch both with a claymore swing, and they both backed off. Right into the middle of the boss's lighting orb spread attack. One just died, and the other I finished off with a spell as he was staggering.

Of course, that was also the fight where it turns out the host was hacking infinite health...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The mirror squires are really easy enemies, they don't care much for their backside and are terribly predictable.

Actually that describes every NPC red phantom/enemy. They also do goofy poo poo like try to fat roll attack you, or start casting a slow spell when they're within brainin' range of your mace.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 19, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

The mirror squires are really easy enemies, they don't care much for their backside and are terribly predictable.

Actually that describes every NPC red phantom/enemy. They also do goofy poo poo like try to fat roll attack you, or start casting a slow spell when they're within brainin' range of your mace.

Not quite. The not-Havel's (i.e. like the guy in front of the purgatory) are pretty good about protecting their backs.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

jonjonaug posted:

You DID remember not to hit the King's Gate bonfire and only hit every other bonfire on the way down, right?

EDIT: Best part of my no bonfire run was triggering the switch to get into Huntsmans Copse and dying on the way to the bonfire by falling off a cliff. So I had to go through the Wharf, back through the Bastille, back through Sinner's Rise all the way to the Primal Bonfire so I could get back to Majula and go to the Copse.

I am going to the final battle from Aldia's Keep. :smuggo:

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I just realized that through all my gameplay I haven't seen a single gimmick invader.
I guess they just cant win against made-for-pvp builds, so they don't get red orbs.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Gorp posted:

I just realized that through all my gameplay I haven't seen a single gimmick invader.
I guess they just cant win against made-for-pvp builds, so they don't get red orbs.

That's dumb. PVP may not be as skill-based as Dks due to various reasons, but skill is till by far the most important factor. Short of a Havelyn dude, you can win against anyone even with gimmicky poo poo. You probably don't see gimmick invaders because in Dks, gimmick invaders were something you made then invaded with. Here it's a lot more difficult since you have to plan very much in ahead to restrict your SM so you can actually invade.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Not quite. The not-Havel's (i.e. like the guy in front of the purgatory) are pretty good about protecting their backs.

They commonly attack until they run out of stamina, and then just sit there praying for a backstab. Their huge swings can be troublesome for a new player though.

quote:

I'm amassing footage of twin hammer velstadt and have run into some really funny builds.

The various barehanded builds are the best. Shirtless Goku recreated to each horrifying detail, dual fists that hit like a truck and then the occasional soul bolt. For all the shitlords you run into people like that are what make the game worthwhile.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Everytime I'm summoned to defend the bell and I see the trespasser run back to the entrance only to find an impassable fog wall I feel a little bad. But then little man on the crate laughs and laughs and laughs as I punt them off the bridge.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Man, I specifically chose one of the thinner body types on my character but many armor sets still make her look like a sack of potatoes (Syan, Benhart's for example). :(

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Three words:

Poison Ricard's Rapier

(it would be bleeding if more things were susceptible to bleed)

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Nice shield bro... hey you don't look so well, you feeling okay?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Just to check, does anyone know what the longest unique R1 chain is?

As in, if you spam R1, how many unique attacks do you get off and for what weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Man, I specifically chose one of the thinner body types on my character but many armor sets still make her look like a sack of potatoes (Syan, Benhart's for example). :(

It's weird how many armour sets are so chunky, though I suppose that's relatively accurate to real life.