Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's literally one lane and a wide shoulder because the next thing beside the shoulder is a sandy berm and a drop into a valley. You could argue that it would have been best for me to pass the first time she did it so that she would stop pulling halfway into the shoulder at 40 miles an hour, but I couldn't have known that she was going to do it several more times even when I was clearly hanging back and not trying to get up her rear end. In the end I did pass her and kept on going at the perfectly acceptable speed I was traveling, which was the same speed she was going.

Incidentally, did you know that it's actually illegal to give up your right of way on a public road (eg: waving someone else ahead of you at a four-way stop), specifically because it confuses other drivers?

You people seem really mad when my only comment was that this was "weird" behavior.

EX250 Type R posted:

Yeah if she wasnt a woman i bet she would know how to drive right sagebrusch

Don't be an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Says the man on the motorcycle too afraid to pass the little girl pulled over in a car on what is effectively a four lane divided highway

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm never 'mad' about anything on here, lol. Just saying take the invitation man, you were the one posting in the rant thread about it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I've had people in front of me that I wasn't sure if they were trying to let me by or they were just texting / drunk

Of course they weren't pulled over onto the shoulder and waving at me. I usually just flick my lights at them if I think they're driving unsafe. If I see the wave I'm past in half a heartbeat anyway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nsaP posted:

I'm never 'mad' about anything on here, lol. Just saying take the invitation man, you were the one posting in the rant thread about it.

Oh, I only posted in the rant thread because a day or so ago this was where we were talking about people not letting you pass. This event was a nice contrast to that. I never meant for it to be a rant.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lets all get real fuckin mad!! Yeah!!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Getting off of :rant: chat

Sagebrush posted:

Incidentally, did you know that it's actually illegal to give up your right of way on a public road (eg: waving someone else ahead of you at a four-way stop), specifically because it confuses other drivers?
That is a pet peeve of mine. I'm not sure of the actual legality of it, but someone trying to be "nice" and wave you through a 4 way stop annoys me for this very reason. Just follow the rules of the road. You're not helping anyone and actually slowing down traffic.

Same thing with pedestrians waiting to cross but instead crossing when you stop for them, they wave you on. I know a guy that got ticketed for that. When he said he was waived through cop said "Yeah, too bad, you still have to yield and let them cross." :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Ouch. The law here is to stop at occupied crosswalks, so I think it's probably OK to go through. If you're up on the curb looking indecisive, you aren't occupying the crosswalk right?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's the law in AB too.

Alberta Rules of the Road posted:

Yielding to pedestrians
41(1) A person driving a vehicle shall yield the right of way to a
pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk.
(2) Where a vehicle is stopped at a crosswalk to permit a
pedestrian to cross the roadway, a person driving any other vehicle
that is approaching the stopped vehicle from the rear shall not
overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.
(3) At any place on a roadway other than at a crosswalk, a person
driving a vehicle has the right of way over pedestrians unless
otherwise directed by a peace officer or a traffic control device.
(4) Nothing in subsection (3) relieves a person driving a vehicle
from the duty of exercising due care for the safety of pedestrians.

So Slide, I hope your buddy fought it.

We also explicitly get to pass on the right here, with no preference made in the law for passing on the left.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

(3) is interesting there. In Ontario, where I learned to drive, the rule is that pedestrians in the roadway always have the right of way over cars, even if they're crossing illegally. If they're on the side of the road or waiting at a crosswalk, you don't technically have to stop, but if they're in the road -- regardless of whether it's at a crosswalk or in the middle of the street -- you stop for them. I don't think it's the same in California.

Also Nova Scotia has the same rule except you also have to stop if there's someone waiting to cross. Someone standing on the sidewalk facing the roadway? They have right of way. Calling urban traffic there "lethargic" would be the kindest way of putting it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
What counts as a crosswalk where you are? In WA and OR at least, any street corner is a crosswalk even if there's no paint, bricks, raised walk, or anything.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
My landlady was kind enough to let me use a small corner of her gigantic garage for no charge when I picked up my 919 last year. The place is nasty as poo poo, full of junk and dead plants. My little corner had some tools and other various bike bits on the floor. Screws for the side covers, chain guard, sprocket cover, and a clip master link. I've been undertaking various maintenance/cleaning tasks on it over the past week or so. Every thing was fairly organized.

Maintenance guy sees me one day and says they're having a garage sale this coming Saturday for a church that shares my building. Why they would be in that filthy and dank garage instead of oh, I don't know, inside the wide open and spacious church is beyond me but whatever. He asks if I can slide my bike over a few feet. I tell him sure, I'll take care of it Friday.

I roll in there last night to continue my work and saw someone rolled my bike up against a wall. They then blocked it in with tables full of 90s inkjet printers and VCRs. The fasteners I had removed for the bike were scattered everywhere, when I had positioned them very carefully next to the bike in the approximate location for them. So that is gonna be a game of which screw goes in which hole that I'll have to gently caress with. The clip and o rings for the master link may have fallen into a black hole. All of my tools were haphazardly tossed in a box I keep chemicals and fluids in, including my realllllly nice clicker torque wrench. THE CASE FOR IT IS RIGHT THERE.

I'm pissed, but there's nothing I can do except post on the internet about it. Making a habit of engaging the steering lock from now on. Bitching to my landlady is just an invitation for her to say "Welllll now that you mention it you can't store your bike in there anymore." No real damage done besides my clip missing. Just pisses me off that some rear end in a top hat thinks it's totally appropriate to touch, let alone move my bike. I have a phone number and a door. Call me or come up and let me know if it's that loving urgent.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Getting off of :rant: chat

That is a pet peeve of mine. I'm not sure of the actual legality of it, but someone trying to be "nice" and wave you through a 4 way stop annoys me for this very reason. Just follow the rules of the road. You're not helping anyone and actually slowing down traffic.

Same thing with pedestrians waiting to cross but instead crossing when you stop for them, they wave you on. I know a guy that got ticketed for that. When he said he was waived through cop said "Yeah, too bad, you still have to yield and let them cross." :v:

This has always freaked me out about Alberta /BC, coming from Toronto. As a pedestrian, if you even look like you might want to cross the road, traffic in both directions comes to a halt. The first time it happend to me, I was in Golden BC, and I literally thought it was some sick game the locals played on tourists. I was so used to just judging the gap and making a break for it, it didn't even occur to me that motorists would actually yield to pedestrians, even if there wasn't a crosswalk.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Phy posted:

So Slide, I hope your buddy fought it.

We also explicitly get to pass on the right here, with no preference made in the law for passing on the left.
I have no friends in Alberta :(

I think he lived back east at the time (I wasn't with him).

To be fair to the cop, and this is going back 15 years so it's not crystal clear with how he told me, but I think the pedestrian may have technically on the road within a crosswalk, like either there wasn't a proper sidewalk or he was off it in the gutter area. Think how people often walk along the edge of a road if there is no sidewalk.

Still bullshit if he waved you on and to this day is in the back of my mind every time someone waves me on.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I hate when people 'try to be nice' and do something that is outside the norm for what you or other drivers would expect someone to do. That lady that was waving you on was trying to be nice I'm sure but she could have caused an accident hanging off the roadway trying to let you pass or gotten you a ticket for lane sharing/illegal passing/reckless driving. Dumb.

The only wreck I've been in on my bike was due to someone being nice. I was splitting lanes and the person to my right saw me coming so they jacked their brakes and cut hard to the right. The person about to be on my immediate left thought 'Hey, space over there. I want to be there!' and cut her wheel hard right which is where I happened to be at that exact moment.
When I picked myself and bike off the pavement the first thing she said was "I thought that guy was letting me in! (insert about a billion sorries here)"

If everyone had maintained their lane position and just goddamn drove I wouldn't have ended up on my rear end.

Driving/riding is dangerous enough as it is. No need to purposely add another variable into the mix.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Linedance posted:

This has always freaked me out about Alberta /BC, coming from Toronto. As a pedestrian, if you even look like you might want to cross the road, traffic in both directions comes to a halt. The first time it happend to me, I was in Golden BC, and I literally thought it was some sick game the locals played on tourists. I was so used to just judging the gap and making a break for it, it didn't even occur to me that motorists would actually yield to pedestrians, even if there wasn't a crosswalk.

Same, but with Berkeley CA. Coming from boston, it was like "what the gently caress are these people stopping for? Is there a wheelchair-bound old lady on the other side?!?"

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Coredump posted:

Yeah if someone does that I'd say you're almost obligated to pass so you don't spoil the person doing it in the future.

My own pullout story. I was at Deals Gap in my 240sx. Compared to the bikes going thru there I might have well been in an SUV, the speed differential was that crazy. However I was still able to drive fast enough for me to have fun.

I catch sight of 3 three guys on sport bikes a few curves behind me coming up quick. I go thru a sharp left hander losing line of sight of the bikes and then see a hairpin with a pullout space in it. I was able to pull over fairly quickly, so much so that when the sport bikes came by one or two of the riders did double takes that 1) I was watching my mirrors enough to spot them and 2) actually got the hell out of the way. Got a thumbs up as they went by. Felt pretty pleased with myself after that.

I had the exact opposite experience a few years ago while with a group of GTOs. There were probably 10 or so of us and we had just left the resort at the bottom, heading back up. In front of us was a giant rear end Harley going super slow. I was 1 back from the group leader, and we were maintaining a safe distance back from the Harley. We'd drop back, have fun through a few turns, get a little closer on some of the straighter parts, and then drop back, hoping that eventually this guy would use a turnout and let us by. We passed probably 10 or so really nice, wide, paved turnouts, and were probably 80% of the way up when this guy on the Harley decides to turn out onto an area I would say was barely bigger than his bike on an inside RH curve. He veers off into the dirt, then hits the brakes, slides, and drops it.

Our group made it to the top at the reservoir, and a couple of guys went back to try and help this guy get his bike picked back up and running. Eventually he made it to the reservoir with the few guys that went back and there was no damage to his bike except some scuffs on his floorboards. Felt bad for the guy, but he had SO many chances to real, actual turnouts rather than that dirt patch he chose.

Now, on the other side of the country, I was going up the Pacific Coast Highway in a rented Chevy Malibu and not a single person would use turnouts when I wanted to pass. Eventually a BMW 3 series came flying up behind me. I turned out to let him by, and then dropped back in right behind him. Everyone else got out of his way pretty quickly, and I was able to follow him almost all the way to Monterrey.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 18, 2014

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I feel like I shouldn't be in here at all, since, for the most part, my 3 months of commuting has been really pretty decent. The only bummer was that my initial newb gear wasn't nearly waterproof, and Oregon winter/spring is not known for its warm, dry climate.

I am not OK with people who want to know when I'm going to get a "real" bike (I have a Ninjer 300). It's not imaginary, dude. I am riding it right now.

Am I going to add some ridiculous loud exhaust? No.
Am I going to replace the stock X with a better Y? No.
Am I going to put in X component to add HP? No.

Because I don't intend to have it forever, and making a lot of expensive "improvements" to it really isn't what I want to spend my money on. I'd way rather have good gear that I can use on the next bike I get. It's frustrating when people think I should just throw money at something because I might squeeze 5 more HP out of the bike. It's a 300, man. It's not some mega speed demon, but it's light and fun as hell to ride, so shut up and go get back in your car.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

gently caress steel grate deck bridges, and especially gently caress whoever put them in the middle of the interstate.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I literally can't go south or west without crossing a steel grate deck bridge, and I can't go east because of a huge body of water. You get used to them really quickly. Just don't make any sudden movements.

Whenever it's raining, I have to do some mental juggling -- do I sit in the rain an extra five minutes to avoid the steel grate bridge, or do I just suck it up and take the quick way home?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I swear I've gone over other ones before and not had a problem, so I don't know if it was the bridges or my DRZ's skinny front tire. But I've also crossed them in my car and felt it grab the wheels more than other times.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

DJCobol posted:

I had the exact opposite experience a few years ago while with a group of GTOs. There were probably 10 or so of us and we had just left the resort at the bottom, heading back up. In front of us was a giant rear end Harley going super slow. I was 1 back from the group leader, and we were maintaining a safe distance back from the Harley. We'd drop back, have fun through a few turns, get a little closer on some of the straighter parts, and then drop back, hoping that eventually this guy would use a turnout and let us by. We passed probably 10 or so really nice, wide, paved turnouts, and were probably 80% of the way up when this guy on the Harley decides to turn out onto an area I would say was barely bigger than his bike on an inside RH curve. He veers off into the dirt, then hits the brakes, slides, and drops it.

Our group made it to the top at the reservoir, and a couple of guys went back to try and help this guy get his bike picked back up and running. Eventually he made it to the reservoir with the few guys that went back and there was no damage to his bike except some scuffs on his floorboards. Felt bad for the guy, but he had SO many chances to real, actual turnouts rather than that dirt patch he chose.

That doesn't necessarily sound like he went off on purpose. I've never seen a Harley rider pull over voluntarily to let people by; why deny the captive audience the joy of hearing your pipes?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not to mention a chance to admire your ankle socks and leather vest.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Deeters posted:

gently caress steel grate deck bridges, and especially gently caress whoever put them in the middle of the interstate.

Try a grate bridge with railroad tracks, my old supervisor dropped his bike and broke his wrist.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Snowdens Secret posted:

That doesn't necessarily sound like he went off on purpose. I've never seen a Harley rider pull over voluntarily to let people by; why deny the captive audience the joy of hearing your pipes?

Did about 100 miles on the drz today, about 20 of those stuck behind Harley's toddling about on the nicest twisty roads around. Exactly one of them waved me by, I don't think any of the rest even looked in their mirrors.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

Try a grate bridge with railroad tracks, my old supervisor dropped his bike and broke his wrist.

My least favorite grate bridge is one downtown where there's a blind turn immediately after the grate stops, and then a stoplight right after that. You're crossing the bridge, you know there's a turn coming up, but you don't want to turn while you're on the grates cause it's so squirrely, so you compensate by keeping it upright on the bridge then turning late and more steeply...but as soon as you get leaned over all the way you come into view of the stoplight, and notice that the light is red and you immediately have to stand the bike back up in like 20 feet. It's no fun.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How big are these grates? In terms of forward distance you have to cover on-grate, I mean. Like a foot? I'm having trouble visualising this, I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Slavvy posted:

How big are these grates? In terms of forward distance you have to cover on-grate, I mean. Like a foot? I'm having trouble visualising this, I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

The entire bridge is grates

Like this

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Two hundred feet or so.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8885784,-87.620479,174m/data=!3m1!1e3

Here's a streetview:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.888491,-87.62049,3a,75y,182.15h,50.13t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJM9d7cOshG3aRMeIraYTjg!2e0

e. Beaten

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Haha, wow, gently caress that poo poo. I've never seen a bridge or anything like that. Worst we get is a cattle grid a meter or so long.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My parents used to call them singing bridges when I was a kid because of the noise car tires make when going over them.

There seems to be fewer around than back in the 70's so that is good but the few dilapidated, rusting hulks that are left are horrible to ride over.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shimrod posted:

Haha, wow, gently caress that poo poo. I've never seen a bridge or anything like that. Worst we get is a cattle grid a meter or so long.

This. What kind of inbred subhuman thought that was a good idea, jesus christ. That's a lovely design for a car let alone a bike. What the gently caress.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's actually kinda fun, the bike wiggles and waves as you go across. I'll record running across one if it's that interesting, we still have one for car traffic that's not used as much as other bridges.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What happens if it's raining and you need to stop in a hurry?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
You die.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

Doesn't happen. No one in front of you.

I guess rear brake tho. Really, you'll see, I just kind chug across it.

edit: that's just me tho. Our bridge is low traffic, can't speak for others.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

When I read this my mind instantly wandered onto the inevitable "what happens to your body if you go down on that surface?".

Bad brain! now I feel sick.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait a second, snowden when did your AV change to a jew caricature and hitler having a wank?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Couple hours ago, it's a Goons In Platoons inside joke related to this http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/134029-feels-good

The only places I've ever seen all-grate bridges were where the bridge folds open in the middle to let taller ships through. I don't know if it's built like that for drainage or weight. That's certainly not the only use for them, though, so I dunno.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
There's lots of cattlegrids around here too, which is absolutely hell when it's wet and hardly a trivial matter when it's dry. I don't think I would make a regular thing of taking that bridge.