Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I finally got back creative control of the first books I ever wrote and have started putting them up on Amazon via Createspace. I know that's not really the best way to go because of the necessity of higher pricing, but I was sick of people not being able to find or buy a copy at all:

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Andromeda-Arcadian-Cycle-Volume/dp/1494212080

Volume 2 (which is longer) should be ready soon. Then maybe I can finally move on to finishing the nonfiction book I'm under contract to finish...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

It -is- a nonfiction story about a get rich quick scheme. Are you saying that it comes across as a scammy "how to" manual? That's part of the reason the tag line includes "And Quickly Lose A Small Fortune." I wanted to make sure that no one thought they were going to get rich if they bought this book. I'll brainstorm some ideas.
Not a professional opinion so take it with a pinch of salt, but regardless if the stories are true or not, market them as if they're fiction. There is a solid nonfiction market out there, but it seems to be mostly books by people who were already known for other things, like Are You Dave Gorman or Round Ireland with a Fridge came from comedians with established brands.

It's just an idea, but people can be weird about giving non-fiction a chance, which could end up hurting your sales. Whereas the other good thing about fiction is that you can embellish and outright lie as long as you're not slandering (libelling? I forget which) anyone.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Is there a really generic guideline for average sales:reviews ratio for genre fiction on Amazon? I acknowledge that it's going to vary by a huge number of factors, but would it be closer to ten sales for every review or five hundred sales for every review?

It does vary a lot, but I'm afraid it's closer to the latter. People just don't seem to have the time/inclination to leave reviews. Which is why so many reviews are purchased on Fiverr.

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
Reviews also vary heavily by genre, remember. You're not going to get nearly as many reviews for that erotica short as you are for that mainstream billionaire romance. Even if they make similar sales.

I do find running a KDP Select free promotion usually gets a few reviews, though.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Faded Mars posted:

I do find running a KDP Select free promotion usually gets a few reviews, though.

It does, but it comes with the caveat that there are tons of people out there who will download it even though they hate the genre (because it's free!) and who will leave reviews about how much the book sucks.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

It would be harder to gauge sales using reviews. A book that is out longer, with a very active author, might accumulate more reviews than you'd think.

The quick method I use to gauge current sales is to divide ranking by 100,000. If someone had a ranking of 30,000, then they will have about 3 sales a day. It's not exact, and it breaks down when sales rank is lower than 5k.

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
Or you can use this calculator: http://kdpcalculator.com/

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Faded Mars posted:

Or you can use this calculator: http://kdpcalculator.com/

lol the first range on there is like 10k to 100k and then below 10k its hilariously inaccurate.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.
I'm new to this. I have a novel in the can that I can't get looked at by an agent, so I dusted off an old story that won me a nice certificate and published on Amazon as sort of a test balloon. My idea is, and it may not be a good one, to publish a couple of the stories I cut from the book leading up to the release of the novel. I'm working with a graphic designer on the cover for all that. This cover I didn't really spend a lot of time on and it shows, but I'm not especially looking for feedback on that.

I couldn't figure out how to make the sucker free, which was my intention. Amazon said I had to charge at least a buck, so a buck it is. However I bought a copy (lol) and can loan that out if I want. I also have no idea how to do this, but I've found sometimes jumping in is the best way.

Linko

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Why is your title on the store page all lower case?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Offer the book for free through iTunes or Google Books and Amazon will eventually price-match it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Six pages may be a new record for the lowest page count I've seen in an Amazon book. Is it like 1,750 words or something?

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Lower case: Something in my Soul Quivers when I See Titles like This.
iTunes + Google books: Thanks!

I'll have you know it's about 2200 words. I categorized it as a short story, because it always was a short story. That's how I intended it to publish but it ended up this way.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Primitive Screwhead posted:

iTunes + Google books: Thanks!

I'll have you know it's about 2200 words. I categorized it as a short story, because it always was a short story. That's how I intended it to publish but it ended up this way.

That's because it's the title of a book, not a sentence.

Hamlet isn't called hamlet.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
couldn't it

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Look man, are you looking to self publish your novel or is this going to be your one-and-only self published work? People are trying to help you and it looks like you couldn't be loving bothered. Here's a hint for you, if Hamlet were hamlet instead, it still wouldn't be a six page story on amazon with a terrible cover, a lovely blurb, and a no-name author. If Shakespeare titled it hamlet, there would probably be a reason for it, or at least one made up by scholars centuries later. When you do it, it looks like you're lazy and probably put the same effort into your six page story.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I could totally see Shakespeare titling it "hamlet." He was probably depressed at the time, so just picture him saying it like a mopey Ross from Friends. That just sounds lower-case.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
On another topic... does anyone else think it's about time for a new thread?

A ton has changed in since 2011, a good half the books in the OP aren't available anymore, and with the death of the BFC thread, we have a lot more market-oriented writers in this thread than we used to. Anyone else up for a new OP focusing on the how / why / where aspects of self-pub in 2014?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

I'm new to this. I have a novel in the can that I can't get looked at by an agent, so I dusted off an old story that won me a nice certificate and published on Amazon as sort of a test balloon. My idea is, and it may not be a good one, to publish a couple of the stories I cut from the book leading up to the release of the novel. I'm working with a graphic designer on the cover for all that. This cover I didn't really spend a lot of time on and it shows, but I'm not especially looking for feedback on that.

I'd work on your blurb. It's too vague to inspire curiosity. I guess once it becomes free it won't matter as much, but as it stands its a hard sell even at 99 cents.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Sundae posted:

A ton has changed in since 2011, a good half the books in the OP aren't available anymore, and with the death of the BFC thread, we have a lot more market-oriented writers in this thread than we used to. Anyone else up for a new OP focusing on the how / why / where aspects of self-pub in 2014?

As someone who has just started looking into this and reading this thread: Very much yes.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, honesty, and decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.

Sundae posted:

Agreeing with this.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Sounds like a great idea, Sundae.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

FingerbangMisfire posted:

Agreeing with this.

Okay, I'll start writing one up on the side. I have a book I need to finish in the next 10 days or so, but I should have the thread good to go shortly after that. :)

If there's anything in particular from this thread that you'd like linked in the new OP, go ahead and toss a link my way so that I can add it.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, honesty, and decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.

Sundae posted:

Okay, I'll start writing one up on the side. I have a book I need to finish in the next 10 days or so, but I should have the thread good to go shortly after that. :)

If there's anything in particular from this thread that you'd like linked in the new OP, go ahead and toss a link my way so that I can add it.

I, and I think everyone else, appreciates it, man. This thread is just too bloated.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

It must be your inner doofus wanting to change the way every book title from here until forever works. You're not Joyce, until you are you need to play by the rules. Don't try to defend "artistic" decisions that only mean something to you. You want readers to read your book? Title it like a normal loving book.

Sundae, I'm gonna write up a nice BFC paragraph or two for how to deal with all the money we make writing if you want to include something like that as well.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

moana posted:

Sundae, I'm gonna write up a nice BFC paragraph or two for how to deal with all the money we make writing if you want to include something like that as well.

You mean I'm supposed to be doing something other than putting it in a pile and rolling around in it?

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

EngineerSean posted:

You mean I'm supposed to be doing something other than putting it in a pile and rolling around in it?

Just cut myself on one of the new bills. :yosbutt:

Edit: Added yosbutt

FingerbangMisfire fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 19, 2014

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

I would love if the new OP talked about marketing strategies. My friend and I are going to finish up a few of our books before we change focus to marketing, but I'd love tips from those of you who have done it in the past. Thanks Sundae, Moana, Fingerbang, and everyone else who contributes to it.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
The ins and outs of marketing a book can't really be done justice with a single post, and not only that, most of the self publishing successes in this thread write in romance, which has a separate promotional apparatus.

Alternatively: bookbub

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Marketing strategy A Get a person to read your book.
Marketing strategy B Make sure you write a fkin entertaining book.

repeat A x 200 every month and B x 1 every two months, congrats, ur a midlister

EngineerSean posted:

Alternatively: bookbub

moana
Jun 18, 2005

EngineerSean posted:

You're supposed to be putting it into four buckets. The buckets are labelled "emergency fund", "401k up to match," "Roth," and I'm not sure about the last one, either "HSA" or "prostitutes and blow"

edit: You can write some things off as research for a tax deduction. I'm not saying what things, but you can.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The problem is you guys do the marketing every day, so yeah it seems obvious to you. Then whenever the subject comes up in the thread there are a lot of vague allusions to bookbub, goodreads, and emailing book blogs, but no specifics.

I basically have no idea, and while i can appreciate moana's bafflement at us being unable to get people to read it, it doesn't come naturally to everyone.

The point of the op is to help people, right? Well, marketing is something I need help with, and it sounds like I'm not alone. A second post reserved for marketing links and basics would be incredibly helpful.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

magnificent7 posted:

I was going to ask, do you guy ever work with an editor or do you just freeball it?

I have a wife who teaches 5th grade, and an elderly father-in-law with a couple of PhDs (medical) who has published a lot of his own stuff, and who has taught/mentored a lot of graduate students.

She made me get a print copy of the rough draft, and then proceeded to mark it up to hell and back, and made me expand quite a few areas.

He gave me about a half a dozen pages of tightly-written notes, and extensively tested everything I gave instructions for.

I don't need an editor after running it past them, I need a drink or three.

But it's non-fiction, technical, yet aimed at non-technical types, so they were basically the perfect editors in a way. I'm polishing it up, and getting ready for the next in the series, which will hopefully have a lot less red ink from her, and fewer notes from him.

If you know a good elementary school teacher, say one of the grades 4-6, or a Jr. High teacher, they can be brutal, but it's worth it (free). She caught a lot of really simple mistakes I made, and made me expand the instructions/examples quite a bit. Which is good, because not only am I covering a technical subject for a non-technical audience and need to be clear as hell, but it should help with the non-native English speakers as well.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

moana posted:

You're supposed to be putting it into four buckets. The buckets are labelled "emergency fund", "401k up to match," "Roth," and I'm not sure about the last one, either "HSA" or "prostitutes and blow"

edit: You can write some things off as research for a tax deduction. I'm not saying what things, but you can.

I put a bunch of money away for retirement but at this rate I'll either be a billionaire or dead before I can retire, kinda seems like a waste. I'm only half kidding about that, I am less than half the age for retirement and putting away the US median salary in an account I can't touch, I'm pretty sure that makes no sense even if it is the "smart" thing to do.

also my hooker and blow bucket is always empty :(

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The problem is you guys do the marketing every day, so yeah it seems obvious to you. Then whenever the subject comes up in the thread there are a lot of vague allusions to bookbub, goodreads, and emailing book blogs, but no specifics.

I basically have no idea, and while i can appreciate moana's bafflement at us being unable to get people to read it, it doesn't come naturally to everyone.

The point of the op is to help people, right? Well, marketing is something I need help with, and it sounds like I'm not alone. A second post reserved for marketing links and basics would be incredibly helpful.

I can see both sides. Marketing can be an absolute nightmare and can't be summed up easily.

The non-fiction book I'm finishing up right now, it's a field I've worked on and off in for the last 10 years or so, and I've got a decent reputation in it, and right now I'm sitting on a list of about 35 bloggers/websites/industry PR types (whose products are mentioned) that I will be hitting up with review copies. That and a website that I've run for over 11 years. That's my marketing. Hopefully it'll be great marketing since it'll be some top sites in the field.

If somebody came to me wanting to write about a similar topic, but they had not made themselves known in the industry at all, I have no loving clue other than things like AdSense and hoping there are enough people searching for such a book on Amazon and willing to review it. I could tell them to send copies to certain people, but it would be a complete crapshoot because a lot of the folks I know get half a dozen products/book/websites to review every few weeks, and some of them might not even take a look at those unless there is some advertising/sponsorship money kicked their way, or they think it will sell like gangbusters and want the traffic/affiliate sales.

I do have a marketing nightmare: I've got a book on hold, that was started two years ago, and was basically going to be a guide/tribute/retrospective for a niche videogame, with official support (yet not official). I got support from the developers working on the game (who want their game promoted more), but legal was pretty slow on clearing a lot of things, although eventually they got better when the devs, and the PR people nudged them. The kicker is that they wouldn't be able to advertise the book on the official website because the book wasn't being published through the company they license for everything else. The developers could tweet about it through their own personal twitter accounts, but that was about it. Me and the three others that were assisting me decided to stop working on it, because we weren't going to put in countless hours of gameplay and editing, only to be ignored by the official website. It's a pretty divided gaming community to boot, and there was a good chance some of the big sites wouldn't help us because they were upset that we got the permission (we were the only ones that pitched such a project). One site got a sneak peak at an outline we had passed to a developer in confidence, and they threw together an addition to their website that covered some of it. Thankfully it was a very sparse outline, but that really pissed us off.

Actually, that may not be a marketing nightmare, so much as a "gently caress this company and the sites that kiss their rear end" kind of problem. And no, we were not willing to go through their officially licensed publisher for a couple of reasons, the main one being that we would not get nearly as much money. Not even close. The other being that there was no guarantee that we wouldn't somehow get hosed by them bringing in staff writers, and squeezing us out or changing the direction, or at least diluting our work so they could pay us less.

Wait, no it's a marketing nightmare, because we could very well be deliberately shut out of 75% of our target audience and just hope they hit up Amazon/iBooks/etc. looking for a book about the game.

tonelok fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 19, 2014

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

tonelok posted:

That and a website that I've run for over 11 years.

Honestly this is some of the best marketing that you can ever do. If you're wanting your book to sell, you immerse yourself in the community, you post news about the field, you build up some e-cred, and you plug your book while you're at it. There are people who have done this organically in our community (romance) that are just killing it. H. M. Ward and Celia Kyle are two that are just making money hand over fist due to their author platforms. I imagine it's the same with a bunch of other communities, though the demand for books is greater in romance than, say, Minecraft fanfiction or whatever.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I miss the erotica thread. I wrote 6 stories in 2013 that still bring in about 150$ a month. 2000 total sales.

Too bad I'm too lazy to keep doing it.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

ravenkult posted:

I miss the erotica thread. I wrote 6 stories in 2013 that still bring in about 150$ a month. 2000 total sales.

Too bad I'm too lazy to keep doing it.

Didn't self-published erotica get blasted recently or something by most of the markets?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

PoshAlligator posted:

Didn't self-published erotica get blasted recently or something by most of the markets?

This happens roughly once a year. Some newspaper/site runs an outrage piece (ARE YOUR GRANDCHILDREN GETTING EXPOSED TO THE WORD 'SEX' ON AMAZON? THE TRUTH MAY SURPRISE YOU), everyone else picks it up because :effort:, and then the distributors feel like they have to cover their asses.

So, we get a brief purge (frustrating and monetarily impactful, yes) until the fervor dies down, and then we all put our stuff right back up again.

It's just the cycle of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
My marketing strategy is to not worry about marketing until you have several titles out. The benefits of an attracted reader are a factor of how many books you have to sell them. If they like Book A but that's all you have, they'll gently gently caress off into that good night, because hey, one-hit wonders are common and who has the attention span to check back with you in a year?

But if you've got six other titles, they'll check them out, and now you've got a fan, and that's what you're trying to do: Entice them into trying your product, addict them with the first book they read, and have more to offer them.

The one form of marketing I would advocate early is a mailing list. And update it regularly, not just every couple months when you have a release, otherwise your readers will be all "what the gently caress is this and why did I sign up for it?" Go monthly/bimonthly.

• Locked thread