Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

LJN92 posted:

Any hints as to what exactly we will or wont be seeing in cyborg Asia?

Nope, since I still need to think it over and decide myself. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Rincewind posted:

Nope, since I still need to think it over and decide myself. :v:

You accepting tips, or are we readers to stay as far away from Asia as possible?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Luhood posted:

You accepting tips, or are we readers to stay as far away from Asia as possible?

Trust the Rincewind. Have faith in the creator's vision for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Asia!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

All rise for Her Imperial Majesty the Empress Basillike I Yaroslavovna, Empress of Rome

: With the matter of structure of the Roman Empire in this new era settled, we shall presently turn to the structure of the Byzantine Senate itself.

: First, however, a few words on the Senate and its history. The Senate has played various roles since Alexios I Komnenos restored it to relevance, waning and waxing in power, prestige, and reputation. In the end, however, I feel its presence was a net positive to the empire. It was contentious, disorganized, and often quite indecorous- but it was the foundry in which many of the ideas that made the Komnenian Golden Age a Golden Age, and while they were executed by Saint Valeria, Trajan II, Valeria I, et al., the Senate without a doubt deserves some share of the glories of the Byzantine era— hence its designation by Prince Hugh as the Byzantine Senate.

: And the Senate also, by and large, demonstrated its fidelity to Rome in the stormy days of the yearly Yarloslavovich era. Most critically, the majority of the Senate remained loyal to my ancestor Dobrava I Komnenova rather than siding with the usurper Komitas I Branas. Now, in what is likely the twilight of the House of Yaroslav, I am giving the Senate its due reward:

: Senators will once more be free to create and lead their own political parties or factions.

:siren: OOC: This is going to be slightly complicated, and probably super annoying for me to keep track of, so please try to follow the directions I'm about to give.

As the empress has said, the Senate is once again able to form its own parties. But what will those parties be?

You can ##create or ##join a party. You can also ##leave a party, or ##disband a party you created.

##Instructions for creating a party

Here's what your party needs:

1.) A name and a 128x128 icon. You can either create an entirely new party, or try to revive one of the parties (or subparties, intra-party groups, etc.) that existed earlier in the LP, with the following exceptions:

a.) The Old Romans and New Byzantines cannot be recreated, since the main dispute between them has been resolved-- we are the Roman Empire, but one that was revived by many of the core tenets of the New Byzantines. You can, of course, make new parties that claim to be the heirs of the ORs or NBs, or espouse your interpretation of their ideology, or whatever, but I'm taking the names and icons out of the play.

b.) The Yaroslav-era Committees of State (Varangian, Phanariote, Venetian, etc.) are going to be governmental bodies separate from Senate parties. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with them, but at least flavor-wise I know I want them around in their current form, even though their procedure role will be different.

c.) The Black Chamber still exists and is super not a political party. Your party can favor the Black Chamber, or call for a particular use of the Black Chamber, but it can't be the Black Chamber.

If you create a party, please give it a non-joke name. I know this seems like I'm acting like the no-fun patrol, but not every update is goofy like the wikipedia one or the Steppewolfe update, and I'd like the party names to not look out of place in serious narrative posts.

2.) A concise in-character explanation of what your party believes.

3.) An even briefer out-of-character explanation for the sort of gameplay your party might favor.

4.) Optionally, an in-character name and portrait for the founder of the party.

Here's an example:

quote:

##create The Branas Party

The Branas Party favors the ideas of the greatest emperor in Roman history, Komitas Branas. It will strive for a greater role for the landed nobility and a smaller, less unwieldy state apparatus. The empire lasted through the Byzantine era on the backs of the doukes, and it's time we paid them back.

In-game, they favor keeping expenses down, a smaller military, a more decentralized state, and not building unnecessary and costly infrastructure.

[optional]
This party was founded by Senator Basileos Altuntekin.
[img-some 1440s person you found on wikipedia or made in the ck2 character creator or whatever]

From there, you can (and probably should) go on and provide more details and say why your fellow Senators should join your party, but that's what you need at the bare minimum.

##Instructions for joining a party

When you join a party, you should post the following.

1.) Which party you're joining (duh)
2.) Its icon.
3.) Optionally, an in-character name and portrait for your Senator.

quote:

##join the Branas Party

[optional]
Senator Examplios Helladid
:helladid:

##Instructions for changing parties

quote:

##leave the Branas Party

The parties with the most members (probably the five largest, but that number might move up or down depending on how many parties are created) will become the main parties. The leaders of the smaller parties will be given a chance to choose a main party to affiliate with as a subparty.

Whew! That's kind of a lot to take in. But hopefully the result will be a bunch of cool parties which hatch cool plots and schemes in EU4.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

###refound Unitas

Unitas was founded as an offshoot of the Milvians, believing that religious extremism was not enough: no, to be great, conversion is only the first step, all Roman subjects must be uplifted, Romanized. To be a Roman is to be Orthodox. To be a Roman is to speak Greek, to share a heritage that goes back to Augustus and Alexander! To allow our citizens to be anything less is an insult to their humanity, and a selfish outrage on our part! We will remake the world. We will save it!

Our name comes from the Latin for unity, as that is our ultimate goal: a population that is truly united, one people that are resolute and ready to do anything in the name of Empire and Orthodoxy. The old and lesser nations and tongues must be swept aside: we are all Romans, and must act like it!

In game: Unitas favors cultural and religious assimilation, expansionism, and centralization.

This party has been kept in existence by a particular and infamous Senatorial family, the House of Kariólis, and is widely distrusted for its role in the Branas Usurpation. It exists only because it continues to hold relics hostage, and is backed by several of the more powerful Greek doukes.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 19, 2014

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

##Create the Of Mongols and Merchants Party

Of Mongols and Merchants was recreated from the Steppes and Republics party who thought that it was best to focus on more than only the Steppes and the creation of Republics, that there is an entire land out there in the east that needs to be conquered and exploited for profit.

In-game they favor focusing on trade, naval enterprises, and colonizing the Far East.

Founded by Senator Metiga Sallajer.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

##Refound the New Marians as a Political Party.

The New Marians were originally a cross-party faction devoted to the restoration of Roman standing armies. Now that this is accomplished, they are here to keep the army strong and the nobility weak. They are no jingoistic throwbacks, but men (and women, remember that we started with the gender equality mod on!) who seek to sustain the state through means military, which means taking all who will stand for Rome. To a lesser extent, they tend to harbor all sorts of republican dissidents, due to the Mars family's personal beliefs.

In Game: They will push for the strengthening of the army and military technology and they won't say no to a little opportunistic conquest. To a lesser extent, they will also do anything that destroys or upsets the power of the nobility (I. E. event options plutocracy/innovative ideas).

This party has long been the pet project of the Mars family and as such it is directly influenced by their romanticized view of the roman republic. It is backed by the generals and officers of the new standing army, but as well, it has a following along former Old Romans due to its' views on old Rome. (Even though the Mars never really cared much for the empire, preferring the republican era.)

NewMars fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 19, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Hmm, lot of new parties popping up...

##Create Hellenic Restoration

We believe that the Empire, now having embraced it's unique Roman-ness, should take it a step further and, in the memory of Julian the Apostate, reject all aspects of Christendom. This matter comes above all else, and will require a large amount of inward focus to obtain.

OOC
If ruling, switch religion to Hellenic. Randomly flip provinces to Hellenic if in any sort of power. Opposes expansion on the grounds of "We already have enough to convert".

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 19, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Continuing on that note of blatant and ludicrous insanity.

Kariolis, you continue to have gone too far!

The icons of saint Peter are one thing and the transcriptions of the desert fathers another, but for the sake of reason and sanity, please, please give us back the skull of saint Valeria!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Stop killing my fun Rincewind. :colbert:

##create the Rome In Name Only Party, or RINO for short.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

##create the Monternos Party

The Monternos Party was founded as a party dedicated to making sure the Roman Empire of the 15th century and beyond was not a Rome stuck in the past, but a Rome looking to the future. A "modern" Rome. As such they support and propose anything that can be used to update the current state of Rome, looking both to nations that have gained a technological edge as inspiration and to possible applications of existing technology within the state. New advances in warfare, seafaring, science, theology, and so forth are all supported by the Monternos Party.

In-game: They focus on upping the tech levels as much as possible, to the possible detriment of the economy. Factories are high priorities when available. Military expansion is limited to what's most opportunistic/provides some reasonable long-term benefit, while trade is encouraged and exploration/colonization is prioritized. Military modernization is greatly encouraged for defense purposes.

This party is the brainchild of the former Old Roman-supporting Hira family, most notably its founder and most recent Senator, S. Emilia Hira, and other like-minded individuals from all walks of life, from Philosophers to Varangians to Priests to Merchants to even a few lucky Peasants.

"Rome is a living idea, honoring its past and reaching towards the future."

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

##Found the Da Qin (officially)

Da Qin was a political movement begun in the mid-1400s by Ming migrants into the Roman Empire. The movement is founded in the roots of the mythical "Da Qin" of Chinese legend, often associated with the Roman Empire. It proposes close relations with the Ming Dynasty and frontier states, including alliances, trade benefits, and others. In addition, the movement seeks to restore the Roman Empire to the "Da Qin" level of influence it once possessed through "inward perfection", involving many reforms based off Chinese systems of government and bureaucracy, at the cost of diplomatic isolation from the West.

In-Game: Close relations with Chinese states. Seeks to invoke centralization, efficiency, and technological advancement by modeling Chinese government and bureaucracy as closely as possible. Strongly favors isolationism in regards to the West and the Muslims, but with a general support of Eastern trade and exploration or recreating classical Eastern borders (so long as it aids relations with China or supports the "Da Qin" ideal of Rome).

---
Digenes "Akritas" Raseres
1421*-
(*-First brought to Constantinople)

Many the most influential supporters of the movement were of mixed Greek and Chinese descent, some the result of Senatorial dalliances with Chinese courtesans. Its foundation in the Roman Senate can be traced to one of these results, Digenes "Akritas" of the noble house Raseres, a family known primarily for their role in failed political movements, such as the Centrists or the Black Chamber Party. Digenes was born under the name Sun Xiao as the bastard of Senator Basileios Raseres and a Ming prostitute known only as Lady Sun. For some time he lived with his mother in the Frontier court, but following the death of Chang Yuchun and the unrest that followed, she fled with him to Constantinople, where he was introduced to his father. He was baptized as Digenes Akritas, in reference to the Greco-Syrian folk hero, and received a mixed education from his parents (primarily his mother with little help from his drunkard father) in Latin, Greek, and Mandarin. For a time, he served as a Roman diplomat to the Ming, but returned to Constantinople shortly before the 8th Session, to take up an offer to become a Da Qin representative in the Senate.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Curses, I was about to make essentially the same thing as the Monternos party but I got held up making a symbol.

It's the Star of Bethlehem merged into a sextant with the color being the flame of the Phanariotes, representing the use of science and technology to chart out the darkness of ignorance.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, poo poo, looks like we're going to get loads and loads of parties again. God knows I'm not helping, but I started this one with the idea of going in for the long haul, so I probably shouldn't quit at the very least before we reach Vicky.

##Create the Inclusionist Party (or Inclusionists, depending on the naming pattern we're using for parties)

History: The Inclusionists were founded in the old Senate after the aggressive policies pursued by the Old Romans and disillusionment with the New Byzantine policies, and while those parties no longer exist, the ideals still warrant representation in the new Senate. The party senators also made a pastime out of antagonizing the senators of the Unitas party. Whether that will continue, time will tell. The party was re-founded by Richard of Whitlock, an English baron from Sussex that prematurely made the move to Constantinople to provide a familiar face in the Senate for the future Emperor, Hugh. He gained the seat simply by walking in one day and taking the seat of a senator that was too drunk to appear and eventually forgot he even was a senator, and because Richard didn't cause any trouble, he was tolerated.

Beliefs: What we want is a truly peaceful, stable and tolerant state. As such, we oppose any sort of expansion, be it diplomatic or militaristic (even diplomatic expansion brings turmoil to the realm). However, we would be open to this new practice called "colonization", if we were to find some sparsely populated land somewhere. We also oppose the expansion of the army, but aren't blinded so much that we don't realize that keeping an armed force around is necessary considering the dangers coming from abroad. Similar measures apply for the Black Chamber - aggressive intrigue is opposed, defensive intrigue for the stability of the realm is accepted. A certain focus on technological progress is accepted, but stability must come first. As for tolerance, we wish to support any and all other cultures or religions within the realm that aren't the "official" one and allow them to keep all their traditions and practices.

In-Game Implications: No aggressive war, even when an ally asks us to join one. Joining defensive wars of allies is OK. If we get in wars, we never take any provinces in the peace and prefer to free nations. Army should be kept fairly small, but strong enough to defend the realm. Stability should be kept at about +2. No culture conversion or religious conversion. No espionage actions (pretty sure all of them are inherently aggressive in nature). Spending should focus on developing the realm's provinces with buildings and poo poo and funding an overseas expedition (and eventually colonization). Policies regarding colonization are open to amendment pending actually discovering the New World.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

### Refound the Fraternalists

In the wake of the reshaping of our Empire and the decreasing of douxal power, I would like to refound the Fraternalists into a new aim - a mercantile aim. Brothers, are we no Roman one and all? But what is it that bind us? Is it our faith? Nay, for there are others who follow the holy Faith, yet they are not Rome. Is it our language? Nay, for is it not true that we enshrine three languages? No, let it be the coinage that we exchange and prosper with that binds us. Brotherhood through wealth, brotherhood through prosperity!

So I say brothers, let us be a shining beacon of prosperity in this land. Let men come far and wide, to learn from us and to trade with us. We need not the sword, brothers, we need only the coin.

In-game we are a party that focuses on trade, diplomacy and naval power. We are also, generally, against war unless it helps trade.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Rincewind posted:

Here's what your party needs:

1.) A name and a 128x128 icon.

I have to do this.

##Create The Faithful (πιστός or Pistós in the original Greek)

The Party of the Faithful is a direct descendant of the Milvians of the Komemnian era. It is the political ally of the One True Church Universal and of the Valerian Order, and as such strives to spread the faith across the world. Most pressingly, the false Bishop in Latium and his mercenary hordes need to be overthrown, and all those who adhere to heretical beliefs must be brought under the auspices of Rome and the Church. The Faithful are strongly in favour of education and technology, owing to Phanariote leanings of the past, and are militant in the face of enemies of the faith.

Politics and Gameplay implications:
*Pro expansionism. Spread the word!
*Pro public works. Feed the hungry, tend to the sick, promote literacy.
*Pro cultural toleration. We are all God's children.
*Pro revanchism. Rome is the best safeguard of the Church.
*Death to the false pope, the arch-heretic!
*Anti religious toleration. We're not kidding about 'One True Faith'.
*Anti stagnation. We must always strive to improve ourselves.

The party was founded by Theophilos ΑΙ υποσημειώ Ιμπυ, wishing to continue the associations of his family into the new era.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

NewMars posted:

Continuing on that note of blatant and ludicrous insanity.

Kariolis, you continue to have gone too far!

The icons of saint Peter are one thing and the transcriptions of the desert fathers another, but for the sake of reason and sanity, please, please give us back the skull of saint Valeria!

Ha! As if your cabal of provincials, jingoists, and republicans were worthy to look upon it! Only Unitas is ready to continue the work of the Komnenoi, and so Unitas must keep their relics safe!

As for the rest of you: heathens, Inclusionist traitors, would-be merchant princes, and those who think the future is better than the past? Absurd! None of you deserve Rome, none of you deserve to sit in these chambers!

Pistós, though? Your party is beautiful, but stumbles into the Milvian trap of "toleration." Did you not see how they faded away, undone by their apathy? Perhaps I can help you: despite your cultural leanings, almost every other plank in your platform is shared by Unitas. Therefore, I propose a coalition: there is one Church, and it must cover the world.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

###Found the Komnenian Restoration
Friends, "Romans," countrymen, it is with great sadness that I must announce the passing of my uncle. To those that knew him before he fled the city, it will come as no surprise to hear that he died with a bottle in his hand. What will surprise you -- I know I'm still reeling from it -- is the fact that he was drinking alone. Indeed, it seems that despite his long rants at family gatherings and the constant streams of letters and pamphlets he sent urging us all to join "the Komnenian cause," my uncle's whole organization consisted of himself, a geriatric spaniel, and the boy who delivered his letters and brought him his gout medicine every week. It was a sad way for a great man to go, but in some ways he brought it on himself -- obviously by drinking that bad retsina, but also by living in the past and devoting himself to a lost cause. So it is with a heavy heart that I now reclaim my family's ancestral seat in this senate. Unlike my uncle, I have pledged my loyalty to the reigning Empress and her lawful heir, and have no desire to see the Komnenoi retake the throne. Nevertheless, I now will take up my uncle's banner and found the party of the Komnenian Restoration! For make no mistake, restoration is what we need, not of the Komenian family, whose blood still flows through our current rulers, but of Komnenian ideals. The Komnenian Restoration seeks to revitalize the empire by restoring the policies and practices that led to the first Golden Age, when we were ruled by wise, conscientious, and self-sacrificing Emperors and Empresses who weren't blinded by hubris or poisoned by court intrigue. In the coming days, we shall see the rise of a new dynasty, and with it a new opportunity. Let us take lessons from the past and use them to create a brighter future!

One lesson I've learned, I must say, is that the men in my family are not terribly good leaders (maybe it's the slurring), therefor it is my pleasure to announce, as leader of the new Komnenian party, someone you all love and respect, Consul Scruffles!

OOC: We're basically just the old Komnenians except we wear more black :emo:

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 19, 2014

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

## Create the Adventurer Merchants

Ahoy my fellow senators!

The patricians of Venice have unfortunately all died in a tragic manure explosion (marked "From Yaroslavich", hm) and have been replaced by a younger, more outgoing group of glorified bankers. They've come together to found THE ADVENTURER MERCHANTStm, a party based around the following principles:

- To boldly go and seek out new lands
- To boldly go and exploit the poo poo out of these new lands
- To explore the whole world, and make all the money within it

The realms of Europe and Asia are boring! Get on a boat and find new realms! Join THE ADVENTURER MERCHANTStm today and get a free eyepatch!

In-Game: Focus on naval buildup and filling out the Exploration and Expansion ideas. Focus on colonizing east Africa and the Indian Ocean as soon as possible. Only engage in war if it would be fun and adventurous. Get control of all the trade nodes from Constantinople to loving Australia.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

##Found the Ecclesiastical Movement

In all past events, through all the crises and golden ages of the centuries behind us, one thing has remained stable: the holy Ecumenical Church. The Church having been a rock of stability, the Ecclesiastical Movement seeks to empower it and increase its involvement in secular and worldly affairs. It stresses its duty to the world, its humanitarian mission towards God's children, and represents its interests in order to increase its influence and transform it into a κράτος εν κράτει, an imperium in imperio. The Church would be to act as to improve the people's spiritual wealth, to enlighten mankind (and so siding with the Phanariotes, who were founded with an ecclesiastical bent in the first place), to aid the poor and assist those in need as Christ taught.

In game: The Ecclesiastical Movement will seek to delegate power to the church as possible: event options are to be picked by whatever favours the church, theocratic govtype vassals are to be created (even within the heartland of the Empire), theocratic govtype vassals are to never be integrated. The Ecclesiastical Movement is also pacifistic and averse to conflict, but should the Empire find itself at war, any territorial gains it would make should instead be assigned to free, independent Ecclesiastical states. The primary difference between the Ecclesiastical Movement and Ίμπυ's Party of the Faithful is that where the PotF wants to use the church militantly and as a means of expansion, the EM wants to empower it at the expense of the Empire, and is concerned with administrative matters over militant conversions and holy wars.

The Ecclesiastical Movement is made up primarily of a collection of priests and clergy and so lacks a specific founder.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

YF-23 posted:

In all past events, through all the crises and golden ages of the centuries behind us, one thing has remained stable: the holy Ecumenical Church. The Church having been a rock of stability, the Ecclesiastical Movement seeks to empower it and increase its involvement in secular and worldly affairs. It stresses its duty to the world, its humanitarian mission towards God's children, and represents its interests in order to increase its influence and transform it into a κράτος εν κράτει, an imperium in imperio. The Church would be to act as to improve the people's spiritual wealth, to enlighten mankind (and so siding with the Phanariotes, who were founded with an ecclesiastical bent in the first place), to aid the poor and assist those in need as Christ taught.

In game: The Ecclesiastical Movement will seek to delegate power to the church as possible: event options are to be picked by whatever favours the church, theocratic govtype vassals are to be created (even within the heartland of the Empire), theocratic govtype vassals are to never be integrated. The Ecclesiastical Movement is also pacifistic and averse to conflict, but should the Empire find itself at war, any territorial gains it would make should instead be assigned to free, independent Ecclesiastical states. The primary difference between the Ecclesiastical Movement and Ίμπυ's Party of the Faithful is that where the PotF wants to use the church militantly and as a means of expansion, the EM wants to empower it at the expense of the Empire, and is concerned with administrative matters over militant conversions and holy wars.

The Ecclesiastical Movement is made up primarily of a collection of priests and clergy and so lacks a specific founder.

Do they allow eunuchs to be priests?

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Join the Monternos Party

Senator Mira Kalmarova

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

##Found the Guiding Light

A continuation of the old political party, the Guiding Light represents the Islamic faction of Rome. Ideally, we'd like to convert the entire nation to the true faith, but we also understand that's not entirely feasible. Instead, we lean harder towards tolerance. In other aspects, we lean towards innovation and progress.

In game: With a majority, we'd attempt to convert to Islam, otherwise we'd focus on religious toleration of all. No major views on warfare, other than not beating up muslims just for the sake of beating up muslims. Otherwise the focus is on technological advancement.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Do they allow eunuchs to be priests?

If they have a voice deep enough to sing a proper psalm.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

My anime Roman shall also ##join the Monternos Party.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I would like to suggest a change for the Monternos icon. I feel the red is too harsh and that much softer purple would be easier on the eyes.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I, Merarch Altan Üzüntü, hereby announce my allegiance and that of my sons and daughters to the New Marian Party.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

UNITAS

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Unitas was founded as an offshoot of the Milvians, believing that religious extremism was not enough: no, to be great, conversion is only the first step, all Roman subjects must be uplifted, Romanized. To be a Roman is to be Orthodox. To be a Roman is to speak Greek, to share a heritage that goes back to Augustus and Alexander! To allow our citizens to be anything less is an insult to their humanity, and a selfish outrage on our part! We will remake the world. We will save it!

Our name comes from the Latin for unity, as that is our ultimate goal: a population that is truly united, one people that are resolute and ready to do anything in the name of Empire and Orthodoxy. The old and lesser nations and tongues must be swept aside: we are all Romans, and must act like it!

FOUNDER: Lord Cyrahzax
MEMBERS:

OF MONGOLS AND MERCHANTS

Blackunknown posted:

Of Mongols and Merchants was recreated from the Steppes and Republics party who thought that it was best to focus on more than only the Steppes and the creation of Republics, that there is an entire land out there in the east that needs to be conquered and exploited for profit.

FOUNDER: Senator Metiga Sallajer (Blackunknown)
MEMBERS:

NEW MARIANS

NewMars posted:

The New Marians were originally a cross-party faction devoted to the restoration of Roman standing armies. Now that this is accomplished, they are here to keep the army strong and the nobility weak. They are no jingoistic throwbacks, but men (and women, remember that we started with the gender equality mod on!) who seek to sustain the state through means military, which means taking all who will stand for Rome. To a lesser extent, they tend to harbor all sorts of republican dissidents, due to the Mars family's personal beliefs.

FOUNDER: Mars family( NewMars)
MEMBERS:
Senator Merarch Altan Üzüntü (WeaponGradeSadness)

HELLENIC RESTORATION

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

We believe that the Empire, now having embraced it's unique Roman-ness, should take it a step further and, in the memory of Julian the Apostate, reject all aspects of Christendom. This matter comes above all else, and will require a large amount of inward focus to obtain.

FOUNDER: ThatBasqueGuy
MEMBERS:

MONTERNOS PARTY

StrifeHira posted:

The Monternos Party was founded as a party dedicated to making sure the Roman Empire of the 15th century and beyond was not a Rome stuck in the past, but a Rome looking to the future. A "modern" Rome. As such they support and propose anything that can be used to update the current state of Rome, looking both to nations that have gained a technological edge as inspiration and to possible applications of existing technology within the state. New advances in warfare, seafaring, science, theology, and so forth are all supported by the Monternos Party.

FOUNDER: Senator S. Emilia Hira (StrifeHira)

MEMBERS:
Senator Mira Kalmarova (Rubix Squid)
Adept Nightingale

DA QIN PARTY

Raserys posted:

Da Qin was a political movement begun in the mid-1400s by Ming migrants into the Roman Empire. The movement is founded in the roots of the mythical "Da Qin" of Chinese legend, often associated with the Roman Empire. It proposes close relations with the Ming Dynasty and frontier states, including alliances, trade benefits, and others. In addition, the movement seeks to restore the Roman Empire to the "Da Qin" level of influence it once possessed through "inward perfection", involving many reforms based off Chinese systems of government and bureaucracy, at the cost of diplomatic isolation from the West.

FOUNDER: Senator Digenes Raseres (Raserys)
MEMBERS:

INCLUSIONIST PARTY

TheMcD posted:

What we want is a truly peaceful, stable and tolerant state. As such, we oppose any sort of expansion, be it diplomatic or militaristic (even diplomatic expansion brings turmoil to the realm). However, we would be open to this new practice called "colonization", if we were to find some sparsely populated land somewhere. We also oppose the expansion of the army, but aren't blinded so much that we don't realize that keeping an armed force around is necessary considering the dangers coming from abroad. Similar measures apply for the Black Chamber - aggressive intrigue is opposed, defensive intrigue for the stability of the realm is accepted. A certain focus on technological progress is accepted, but stability must come first. As for tolerance, we wish to support any and all other cultures or religions within the realm that aren't the "official" one and allow them to keep all their traditions and practices.

FOUNDER: TheMcD
MEMBERS:

FRATERNALISTS

Rejected Fate posted:

In the wake of the reshaping of our Empire and the decreasing of douxal power, I would like to refound the Fraternalists into a new aim - a mercantile aim. Brothers, are we no Roman one and all? But what is it that bind us? Is it our faith? Nay, for there are others who follow the holy Faith, yet they are not Rome. Is it our language? Nay, for is it not true that we enshrine three languages? No, let it be the coinage that we exchange and prosper with that binds us. Brotherhood through wealth, brotherhood through prosperity!

So I say brothers, let us be a shining beacon of prosperity in this land. Let men come far and wide, to learn from us and to trade with us. We need not the sword, brothers, we need only the coin.

FOUNDER: Rejected Fate
MEMBERS:

THE FAITHFUL

AJ_Impy posted:

The Party of the Faithful is a direct descendant of the Milvians of the Komemnian era. It is the political ally of the One True Church Universal and of the Valerian Order, and as such strives to spread the faith across the world. Most pressingly, the false Bishop in Latium and his mercenary hordes need to be overthrown, and all those who adhere to heretical beliefs must be brought under the auspices of Rome and the Church. The Faithful are strongly in favour of education and technology, owing to Phanariote leanings of the past, and are militant in the face of enemies of the faith.

FOUNDER: AJ_Impy (Please transliterate your name)
MEMBERS:

KOMNENIAN RESTORATION

Duckbag posted:

Friends, "Romans," countrymen, it is with great sadness that I must announce the passing of my uncle. To those that knew him before he fled the city, it will come as no surprise to hear that he died with a bottle in his hand. What will surprise you -- I know I'm still reeling from it -- is the fact that he was drinking alone. Indeed, it seems that despite his long rants at family gatherings and the constant streams of letters and pamphlets he sent urging us all to join "the Komnenian cause," my uncle's whole organization consisted of himself, a geriatric spaniel, and the boy who delivered his letters and brought him his gout medicine every week. It was a sad way for a great man to go, but in some ways he brought it on himself -- obviously by drinking that bad retsina, but also by living in the past and devoting himself to a lost cause. So it is with a heavy heart that I now reclaim my family's ancestral seat in this senate. Unlike my uncle, I have pledged my loyalty to the reigning Empress and her lawful heir, and have no desire to see the Komnenoi retake the throne. Nevertheless, I now will take up my uncle's banner and found the party of the Komnenian Restoration! For make no mistake, restoration is what we need, not of the Komenian family, whose blood still flows through our current rulers, but of Komnenian ideals. The Komnenian Restoration seeks to revitalize the empire by restoring the policies and practices that led to the first Golden Age, when we were ruled by wise, conscientious, and self-sacrificing Emperors and Empresses who weren't blinded by hubris or poisoned by court intrigue. In the coming days, we shall see the rise of a new dynasty, and with it a new opportunity. Let us take lessons from the past and use them to create a brighter future!

FOUNDER (Honorary): Senatorial Mascot "Consul Scruffles" (Duckbag)
MEMBERS:

ADVENTURER MERCHANTS

Funky Valentine posted:

The patricians of Venice have unfortunately all died in a tragic manure explosion (marked "From Yaroslavich", hm) and have been replaced by a younger, more outgoing group of glorified bankers. They've come together to found THE ADVENTURER MERCHANTStm, a party based around the following principles:

- To boldly go and seek out new lands
- To boldly go and exploit the poo poo out of these new lands
- To explore the whole world, and make all the money within it

The realms of Europe and Asia are boring! Get on a boat and find new realms! Join THE ADVENTURER MERCHANTStm today and get a free eyepatch!

FOUNDER: FunkyValentine
MEMBERS:

ECCLESIASTICAL MOVEMENT

YF-23 posted:

FOUNDER: YF-23
MEMBERS:

THE GUIDING LIGHT

TheFlyingLlama posted:

A continuation of the old political party, the Guiding Light represents the Islamic faction of Rome. Ideally, we'd like to convert the entire nation to the true faith, but we also understand that's not entirely feasible. Instead, we lean harder towards tolerance. In other aspects, we lean towards innovation and progress.

FOUNDER: TheFlyingLlama
MEMBERS:

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
As the Old Roman Agenda is satisfied, I will join the NEW MARIANS

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Rincewind posted:

THE FAITHFUL

FOUNDER: AJ_Impy (Please transliterate your name)

:ssh: ΑΙ υποσημειώ Ιμπυ transliterates as AJ underscore Impy.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
##create The Craftsmen's League

Though Byzantium may be a thing for the past, the work of the New Byzantines is not yet complete. The infrastructure of our might Empire will need constant improvement as we move forward, and the Craftsmen's League will assure that this work is done. The League stands for new building projects and a development of a stable and happy tax base to be used to acquire further territory to further expand the tax base. We wish for, eventually, all peoples to join under the splendor of a productive and developed Roman Empire.

In-game, this would be represented by focusing on acquiring funds via taxes and production, and saving administrative points by vassalizing rather than directly annexing territory whenever possible. Economic Ideas would also be a top priority because of the build cost reduction. Additional infrastructure would be prioritized over activities, but not to the detriment of falling behind in tech.

The League was founded Senator Matthias Vounómou, backed by a coalition of guildsmen and minor tradesmen, though it is open to all who support its cause of a more developed Rome.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I shall Join the Adventurer Merchants because a brave new world is on the horizon, and it is our duty to ensure it is covered in purple.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Dear Funky Valentine. I wish to

##join the Adventurer Merchants

club for adventurous merchants!

Might I suggest some club activities? On Monday, we should go rock climbing. On Tuesday, sailing. On Wednesday, dancing. On Thursday, subjugating foreign lands and grasping the massive natural resources there for our own ends that we might become ever-more wealthy and ever-more powerful. Friday of course is drinks night.

Yours sincerely,
Senator occipitallobe

P.S. Can we have a dress-up ball every October?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
YF-23, our interests coincide. Care to form a coalition of pro-Church interests?

Cyrahzax, our families were once together in the Milvian faction... until you decided to split off for your own reasons. I am uncertain as to the benefits of having a fair-weather ally.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Just a note, I do have an in-character name for my Senator - "Richard of Whitlock" - but I guess burying it in the History section wasn't the smartest move. The reason there's no portrait is because much like the Inclusionist foreign policy, Richard mostly keeps to himself outside of Senate meetings, and nobody ever bothered to make a picture (read: I'm lazy).

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
##Join the Adventurer Merchants

I am a strong believer in making money, and an even stronger believer in exploiting people for said money. Let us have the grandest navy in the world so that we can make all the money in the world! Now, about that eyepatch...what's it made of?

Senator Samule Romano

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Cyrahzax, our families were once together in the Milvian faction... until you decided to split off for your own reasons. I am uncertain as to the benefits of having a fair-weather ally.

It wasn't my ancestor's intent to split off: he intended Unitas to be a cross-party coalition, but the Empress inducted it as a party. Who was he to argue? In any case, Unitas has never veered from the Orthodox faith, and has mandated the expansion of the faith since the foundation of the party. Our ideas on the spread of Orthodoxy are almost the same: to see it through, we must work together. How else can we enter heaven with any dignity?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Ahoy my fellow senators!

## Join the Adventurer Merchants

This is the best idea for a party

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

YF-23, our interests coincide. Care to form a coalition of pro-Church interests?

Indeed we have much in common. It is fair to assume we shall back each other where our similarities overcome our differences, making that official is a small step. Do we want a name and icon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Indeed we have much in common. It is fair to assume we shall back each other where our similarities overcome our differences, making that official is a small step. Do we want a name and icon?

If coalition is being formed, why not resurrect the Milvian name? I would gladly join such a group.

• Locked thread