Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Today I got an election leaflet (well, it's their newsletter) from the local anarchist group of all things. They don't call themselves anarchist but they think the borough can manage without a council and suggest voting for nobody.

Here's a PDF of their newsletter on their website (to read it in its proper order, read the second page of the first PDF, then the second PDF, then the first page of the first PDF)

http://www.haringey.org.uk/content/images/hsg/newsletters/2014-02-election-special-front-back.pdf
http://www.haringey.org.uk/content/images/hsg/newsletters/2014-02-election-special-inner.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

baka kaba posted:

Playing devil's advocate a second, is there any research that points to memory and accurate recollection of events improving after 48 hours, when the subject has undergone extreme stress or is in a state of shock? I know memory goes to pot very rapidly after the event, but I didn't want to just assume that holds for extreme situations where decompressing might actually help. (I'm guessing it still makes things worse)

I do work on memory psych and witness testimony and there's no evidence to this effect. The forgetting curve for accurate recall can be steep or shallow situationally but it always goes down.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Tories allowing Natural England's proposal to allow destruction of birds' nests/eggs. Turns out the Chair of Natural England (and Big Tory Donater) is one of the founders of Linden Homes who have problems with birds, nests and the like.

http://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/05/18/heres-the-real-reason-the-tories-are-allowing-the-destruction-of-robin-eggs-and-nests/

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Housechat? Housechat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-mortgages.html

quote:

The price of an average home increased by nearly £10,000 between April and May, the biggest month-on-month cash increase ever recorded.
Figures from Rightmove, the property website, showed house prices jumped by nine per cent over the past year, pushing up the value of an average home to record levels.

A breakdown suggested fears of a nation-wide housing bubble are misplaced, with London leading the way with a 16.3 per cent year-on-year increase, compared with a more modest 4.9 per cent in the rest of the country.
The average asking price in the city is up by nearly £80,000 so far in 2014, or £4,405 a week, compared with £1,521 a week for the rest of the country.

Earn less than £200k/year? Congratulations on being less productive and valuable than an inanimate assembly of bricks and mortar, slacker. If you're on less than £80k, you're not even as productive as a provincial inanimate assembly of bricks and mortar.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Biggus Dickus posted:

Tories allowing Natural England's proposal to allow destruction of birds' nests/eggs. Turns out the Chair of Natural England (and Big Tory Donater) is one of the founders of Linden Homes who have problems with birds, nests and the like.

http://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/05/18/heres-the-real-reason-the-tories-are-allowing-the-destruction-of-robin-eggs-and-nests/

It's just blatant corruption isn't it and they keep getting away with it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Did this come up last month? I don't remember it. Well anyway, I imagine most posters in this thread would very much enjoy this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0418p80

Benet Brandreth, son of former Tory MP Gyles Brandreth, openly proposing a revolution to replace the house of commons with a legislature drawn by lot (though with what sincerity I'm not quite sure)

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 19, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LemonDrizzle posted:

Housechat? Housechat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-mortgages.html

Earn less than £200k/year? Congratulations on being less productive and valuable than an inanimate assembly of bricks and mortar, slacker. If you're on less than £80k, you're not even as productive as a provincial inanimate assembly of bricks and mortar.

How is the value of houses increasing at double the rate of inflation "not a bubble"? :psyduck:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ It'll be a bubble the moment the Tories lose the general election and the 'recovery' is going on under someone else

Boing posted:

I do work on memory psych and witness testimony and there's no evidence to this effect. The forgetting curve for accurate recall can be steep or shallow situationally but it always goes down.

I knew people here knew stuff about things! So yeah, 'the current system gives the best evidence' is definitely :clegg: in every way, no surprises there. Cheers boing

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 19, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Apparently holding views that your political enemies should be executed is just a 'little strong' to UKIPers...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/19/ukip-apology-pro-europe-politicians-hanged

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Relative price increase doesn't necessarily entail a bubble, houses could just be more valuable now, for instance due to scarcity.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, the Daily Mail has discovered that Cards Against Humanity game.

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH

SybilVimes posted:

Apparently holding views that your political enemies should be executed is just a 'little strong' to UKIPers...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/19/ukip-apology-pro-europe-politicians-hanged

Hold on a second. He's just an "ordinary chap" with no "media training". How's he to know that our PC gone mad media won't look kindly upon a desire for murder. Flagrant character assassination of UKIP politicians continues relentlessly.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

djf posted:

Hold on a second. He's just an "ordinary chap" with no "media training".

Which translates to 'I didn't know we weren't supposed to say what we *actually* think'

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
The sun is dropping Page 3 (only temporarily, mind you), prepare for the 'it's PC gawn maad!!!'

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/19/world-cup-marketing-the-sun

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

McDragon posted:

Ha, the Daily Mail has discovered that Cards Against Humanity game.

They're revealing trade secrets of how they compile their articles? That's surprising.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

SybilVimes posted:

The sun is dropping Page 3 (only temporarily, mind you), prepare for the 'it's PC gawn maad!!!'

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/19/world-cup-marketing-the-sun

More poo poo through the front door is all I take away from this.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
At least they have the sense to stay the gently caress out of Liverpool.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

Did this come up last month? I don't remember it. Well anyway, I imagine most posters in this thread would very much enjoy this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0418p80

Benet Brandreth, son of former Tory MP Gyles Brandreth, openly proposing a revolution to replace the house of commons with a legislature drawn by lot (though with what sincerity I'm not quite sure)

It was mentioned (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3621414&userid=192357#post428697415) but nice of the Beeb to repeat it so soon. Worth a listen.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

So when do you Brits finally choose which lizard person will be ruling over you?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Thursday. Not that I can vote.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 20, 2014

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Except it's just the European Parliament elections and so doesn't matter

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pfizer? I barely knew her!

quote:

With Pfizer's bid for AstraZeneca on the ropes tonight, investment bankers face missing out on some pretty lucrative fees.

My colleague Rupert Neate has been investigating; and found that banks, lawyers, accountants and PR firms could have shared up to £345m for advising Pfizer on the deal. That's based on the typical model where advisors receive 0.5% of a deal's value.

A top banker's share of the pie could have been several million pounds.

The PR contract along would have been pretty lucrative, as Rupert reports:

A senior PR executive at a different firm said Brunswick chairman Alan Parker would be "devastated" at the collapse of the deal. "The contract would have been in the high hundreds of thousands into seven figures," the PR man said.

"They will be devastated by this, it would have made up a meaningful part of the bonus – it would be the difference between getting a Ferrari or not."

:qq:

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

quote:

With Pfizer's bid for AstraZeneca on the ropes tonight, investment bankers face missing out on some pretty lucrative fees.
Wahhhh, cry me a loving river

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Redgrendel2001 posted:

So when do you Brits finally choose which lizard person will be ruling over you?

It depends on what you mean by that really.

Should E:tinfoil:liz:tinfoil:abeth gently caress off: Never
Should the UK tell Europe to gently caress off warm up elections: Thursday
Should the UK tell Europe to gently caress off seriously guys: TBC - If the Tories win maybe there might be an in-out referendum on the EU maybe (Cameron begins to twitch nervously)
Should Scotland tell the UK to gently caress off: 18 September 2014
Should the UK tell the Tories to gently caress off: "Probably May or something" 2015

While I'm here there's also apparently local elections in England and Northern Ireland on Thursday as well, jolly.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There are council elections on Thursday too. In Liverpool, a Lib/Lab marginal is beset by accusations of homophobia. This time, it's the Labour Party:

Campaigner may face the axe from Labour party over ‘gimp in basement’ accusations posted:

A Labour party member and campaigner could be thrown out of his party after suggesting a Liberal Party rival kept a “gimp” in his cellar.

West Derby Labour member Stephen Poulson was accused of a string of attacks on Liberal group leader Councillor Steve Radford, which included suggesting that he had a “sexual bias” in his position as chair of the Tuebrook Hope Group, a Scouts group.

Radford, Liverpool’s first openly gay councillor said he believed the comments made online by Poulson, were due to his sexuality.

Poulson published a retraction on his blog, and said his comment about the Scouts funding were “unjustified and untrue”, but only when Councillor Radford sought legal advice.

This week Poulson wrote: “Was not on to the fact we had a fancy dress yesterday… Cllr Radford and his candidate (the gimp from the cellar) came dressed as tramps and ate all our
butties like they had been living in the bus stop.”

The latest comments reignited the argument, and caused the Labour party to get involved, urging him to stop posting about the councillor.

The Liverpool Echo reports that the Labour campaigner could face disciplinary proceedings if he refuses to follow instructions.

Cllr Radford said: “This absolutely outrageous behaviour has been going on for two years and yet here he is going out handing out leaflets.

“What responsible political party would have someone like this doing that? They’ve had the chance to deal with it for two years.

“Had it been someone from UKIP saying these kinds of things, you would have had Labour up in arms over it.

“It makes a mockery of Labour’s anti-homophobia position.”

But Mr Poulson claimed the post was in response to Councillor Radford attempting to flyer a “non political event”, and wrote: “Any posting I make on social media is my own personal opinion and in no way connected to the Labour Party.”

At least this time the guilty party is facing expulsion. Seven years ago, Miranda Grell was disqualified from holding the Leyton council seat she was elected to a year before due to making allegations of paedophilia against her Lib Dem opponent. Her appeal was funded by the party and several prominent activists, including the current Shadow Business Secretary, publicly supported her.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

quote:

But Mr Poulson claimed the post was in response to Councillor Radford attempting to flyer a “non political event”, and wrote: “Any posting I make on social media is my own personal opinion and in no way connected to the Labour Party.”
loving lol. Has he not been following the news re: UKIP gaffes at all?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Edit this out, you dolt

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

At least this time the guilty party is facing expulsion. Seven years ago, Miranda Grell was disqualified from holding the Leyton council seat she was elected to a year before due to making allegations of paedophilia against her Lib Dem opponent. Her appeal was funded by the party and several prominent activists, including the current Shadow Business Secretary, publicly supported her.

Was she standing against Cyril Smith?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Universal Credit is working as intended it seems.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/benefit-reforms-one-year-on-universal-credit-is-not-working-9391283.html

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

JFairfax posted:

Was she standing against Cyril Smith?

Nah, a sitting councillor, I believe.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Well, Thompson's may be union shills, but any opposition to 0 hours is welcome.

http://www.thompsons.law.co.uk/personal-injury/law-firm-slams-governments-zero-hours-contracts.htm

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Any experts on negotiations for job offers? After 2 years of temping I've finally been offered a permanent job at where I work, which is nice. For the pay grade I'll be on (which is relatively high) they've offered me the low end of the scale, and I feel like I'm meant to say "NOOOO GIVE ME MORE" but on the other hand, it's a good payrise for me and probably still a couple of thousand more than the going rate for the job (the going rate's not massive either, it's not like we're anything important like investment bankers or professional tweetists, we just make life-saving products), so I'm not feeling hard done by. But if there's any magic words that will get me more $$$ without making the nice HR lady hate me, then do tell and I'll collectively owe the thread a drink.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 19, 2014

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Squalitude posted:

Any experts on negotiations for job offers? After 2 years of temping I've finally been offered a permanent job at where I work, which is nice. For the pay grade I'll be on (which is relatively high) they've offered me the low end of the scale, and I feel like I'm meant to say "NOOOO GIVE ME MORE" but on the other hand, it's a good payrise for me and probably still a couple of thousand more than the going rate for the job (the going rate's not massive either, it's not like we're anything important like investment bankers or professional tweetists, we just make life-saving products), so I'm not feeling hard done by. But if there's any magic words that will get me more $$$ without making the nice HR lady hate me, then do tell and I'll collectively owe the thread a drink.

There's no magical spell to cast but you have to understand that you have absolutely nothing to lose by asking for more, especially if you can back it up with good performance in the past. Just ask for a lot more, they will likely give you a bit more just for asking

It's so much harder to get a payrise once you have the job. This is your time to negotiate.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Squalitude posted:

If you know the scale and you have a firm offer on the table you are in a great position. If they really want you (which they do) there is zero chance of the offer being withdrawn even if you ask for the maximum. Do not give any ultimatums but firmly state you are disappointed to be offered the bottom end of the scale, considering your past performance and experience.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Thanks for the advices. It's probably just a confidence thing on my end but I feel that what they've offered isn't unfair and is a great improvement on what I currently get (but then, temps do get treated really bad. They've even changed to a new temping agency which offers new temps 5 days less holiday than permanent staff which I think is not quite legal, though I may be mistaken).

I just remembered I was offered a similar job earlier in the year at another company, they also offered the lowest rate on the advert, I came back and said I'd not be able to accept that offer because of [insert valid reasons], and then they never even replied to me! So maybe that factors in to my mindset.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are you an internal applicant or are you going through a recruitment agency for this?

Also have you at any point in the process stated what your desired salary is?

Negotiation is a tricky one, if you like the role, company and the salary is an improvement you don't want to jeopardise that.

What you need to do is go through the job specification. How many years experience are they looking for? Are you ticking all of their required skills and experience? The aim is to be realistic in your appraisal of your skills and experience so that you can push back and say 'no, I hit every criteria for this role and deserve the top of the bracket'.

How well do you know the people in the process? So long as you're not asking for anything outside of their salary banding you shouldn't have an issue. A slight problem is that they also know what you were getting paid before and that this is an improvement.

But if you don't ask you don't get, however as you've seen first hand it can also cause problems.

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Kegluneq posted:

loving lol. Has he not been following the news re: UKIP gaffes at all?

Isn't the difference here that this is just a labour party member and canvasser and not an actual candidate who hopes to get elected (as with the UKIP gaffes)? I mean the labour party does have a few hundred thousand members, I'm sure no small number of them have homophobic/racist tweets to their names, doesn't mean it should reflect on the party as a whole.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
UKIP have taken to spamming people in Tower Hamlets-related groups on Facebook from fake profiles. Because when they see a new patch of poo poo that UK political parties haven't been rolling in they just have to go loving roll in it.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
wait what? is that Slavoj Zizek?

• Locked thread