Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Could?

It will get worse right after the castle. :haw:

Is there anything noteworthy in the lava chests in Iron Keep? I never bothered with them.

There's a good pyro spell in the chest in the room after the second bonfire, with 4 archers and 3 mace guys, and the lever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm amassing footage of twin hammer velstadt and have run into some really funny builds.

The various barehanded builds are the best. Shirtless Goku recreated to each horrifying detail, dual fists that hit like a truck and then the occasional soul bolt. For all the shitlords you run into people like that are what make the game worthwhile.

How are double Sacred Chime Hammers? I'm doing a Velstadt build too, and am wondering if it's worth leveling up strength to do it after I get Vigor/Vit/End where I want them.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I realize that's not the point of this image, but I never noticed that the Alonne Captain armor had the Drangleic heraldry on it, as also seen on the shields from guys in FoFG.

Yet the Old Iron King was clearly not a king of Drangleic. :raise:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Could?

It will get worse right after the castle. :haw:

Is there anything noteworthy in the lava chests in Iron Keep? I never bothered with them.

At least the anime mages don't taunt you.

The only thing of note in the iron keep lava chests is chaos fire storm. I think the other one is just a crappy shield. Unfortunately the chaos storm chest is also the hardest to get, located in the room with the falling platforms and archers.

You know for people that supposedly come from a desert they have awfully pale skin.

Mazed posted:

I realize that's not the point of this image, but I never noticed that the Alonne Captain armor had the Drangleic heraldry on it, as also seen on the shields from guys in FoFG.

Old Iron King somehow found a shard of Gwyn's soul (which was originally gifted to the 4 Kings). So at some point he was poking around somewhere with heavy ties to Lordran. Probably saw the crests and thought "hey these guys had pretty sweet style, I'm gonna use it in my kickass castle".

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Mazed posted:

Time and space are distorted in Drangleic.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Attestant posted:

Or OIK was there before Vendrick became king, and the Alonne knights are there to guard his prison or whatever it is.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mazed posted:

The Iron Keep was the capital stronghold of the kingdom of Alonne. The king tried to summon demons that eventually ruined him, just like the Old Monk in Tower of Latria in Demon Souls. The Old Monk wore the Xanthous crown, which is worn by a Pyromancer that invades you in Painted World in Dark Souls 1. Basically the implication is that the old monk robes posessed the king, who was a pyromancer, and that's why everything is on fire. Eventually he turned the place into 2-2 from DeS and the flamelurker moved in and took over his body, but now he was bigger. The miners in 2-1 eventually discovered the equipment from 2-2 while looking for Brighstones (Brightstone Cove Tseldora is also Crystal Caves from Demon Souls 1 (Crystal Caves from Demon Souls 1 were also 2-1 from Demon Souls ) ) and they saw a cool looking crest and Vendrick's dad was one of the miners, this is referenced to you by Shalquior the invincible cat if you talked to her in between every single thing you did like you obviously should have. Demon Souls took place before Dark Souls 1 which took place before Dark Souls 2, but anyway time is a circle. So Vendrick's dad had an heirloom of an ancient (future(who knows)) time and Vendrick went off on a journey. Queen Nashandra always told him "when we first met the first thing I noticed about you was your crest ;)" So he pretended he invented it. This is why Drangleic's crest is the same one as the king from Old Iron Keep, and this is why Old Iron Keep's elevator goes upwards - Remember how in 2-2 in Demon Souls you had to descend through an increasingly lava filled area to get there? Well turns out you didn't descend far enough because if you had kept going you would have reached Harvest Valley. BTW Harvest Valley is also part of Undead Burg because the sunbro statue is in it, and Belfry Luna is also part of Undead Burg because the gargoyles are in it, there is a deleted line of dialogue that explains how these places are actually really close to each other. When you take the boat from No Man's Wharf the boat turns out to be an NPC and0 speaks for the first and only time and says "Ah, I see we are passing Harvest Valley. We cannot waste our time here as we need to head to the Lost Bastille First.

I hope this explains everything I'm still piecing the lore together.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Attestant posted:

A wizard did it

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Why are the giants called giants if vendrick is loving huge. Everyone in this universe is huge except soldiers

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I used a red eye orb in Upper Tseldora.

It transported me to Hunstman's Copse for an invasion.

:wtc:

Judakel posted:

Why are the giants called giants if vendrick is loving huge. Everyone in this universe is huge except soldiers

Vendrick is huge because he took magical steroids developed by his crazy brother.

EDIT: Someone added me just for this.

:allears:

VVV You get it out of a chest. Its easy to find but the chest itself is located outside of Aldia's Keep, which is a really late game area.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 19, 2014

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Captain Oblivious posted:

Fashion Souls 2!

What? Where? How?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Internet Kraken posted:

I used a red eye orb in Upper Tseldora.

Hey, when I was using blue orbs in Lost Bastille I would get transported to Throne of Want, Shrine of Manamana, and Dragon Aerie more than anywhere else.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

If any of you are playing some guy named Fog Cutter, I want to apologize for my abject panic causing you to fail in your quest as a bluecop.

I was like those stupid quails in Bambi, right? There I was, hidden and safe behind a railing, not worried about a thing except the act of cheering on your heroism. But then the invader made attempts to jump the railing and come after me. The mere thought that GIT WRECKED might succeed in his leap inspired me to run from cover. Right? I completely freaked. I attempted to dash across the bridge, but this just left me open to the invader, who -- with the calm grace of a skilled hunter -- fired his Dark Orb from the hip and took me down in a single shot.

You were doing pretty well, too. :(

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
I got summoned as a Blue Sentinel against someone in the Undead Crypt and it turns out invaders can activate the wraith tombstones. I'm not sure where the invadee was but I guess they forgot they'd been invaded because they saw the wraiths and beelined for the bonfire room. I don't have any shots of it but I'm pretty sure it was a sorcerer wearing Havel's, in any case it didn't go well:

Unrelatedly, I thought this was some pretty good fashion souls cosplay:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

What? Where? How?

Looks like the Llewellyn set, which drops off the stone guards in Drangleic, and the dark mask, which you get by killing a mimic in Shaded Woods. The Llewellyn set looks baller as gently caress.

e;

Raygereio posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the King's set with the Dark Mask.

Whoops, you're right, I got them confused. King's set is in Amana once you kill Vendrick.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 19, 2014

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Bellkeeper fashion souls:

Party Boy distraction service is pretty good for getting those chunks.

Edit: Oh poo poo Force detonates the powder barrels in Luna, just killed the host with one. There are two next to the ladder at the top and one next to the exit from the room you have to jump in through the hole.

Molrok fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 19, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Looks like the Llewellyn set, which drops off the stone guards in Drangleic, and the dark mask, which you get by killing a mimic in Shaded Woods. The Llewellyn set looks baller as gently caress.
I'm pretty sure that's the King's set with the Dark Mask.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 19, 2014

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Infinite health is laaaaaaaaaame.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Thinking of trying a str faith build, tell me what class to start with because I am a min maxing plebe.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I gotta say, the prospect of encountering someone with infinite health that cannot be killed short of somehow making them fall off a cliff is 100% turning me off of trying anything but the most casual PvP in this game.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
They're wusses too, it's real hard to get them to fall off a cliff.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Thinking of trying a str faith build, tell me what class to start with because I am a min maxing plebe.

Cleric. Good faith and a point away from one-handing the mace.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

killstealing posted:

They're wusses too, it's real hard to get them to fall off a cliff.

Probably because its happened before and it's the only bit of challenge that a hacker can learn from.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Domattee posted:

Did you disconnect a lot previously? I'm a wretch and get funpoliced every 5 minutes on the dot. Only other thing I can see is that you were playing during off peak time and the matchmaker didn't like you.

I tried using the bone of order but the game wouldn't allow me to use it when I tried. :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Cleric. Starts at a pretty high level, has stats allocated towards all the things you're going to be using. Also makes rushing through the game very easy since you start with a mace and healing spell right out of the gate. You can go straight to Heide's and smash all the Knights apart without any trouble.

Ice Fist posted:

I gotta say, the prospect of encountering someone with infinite health that cannot be killed short of somehow making them fall off a cliff is 100% turning me off of trying anything but the most casual PvP in this game.

Its honestly not that big of an issue. I've been doing TONS of PvP lately and still have only seen one guy hack on infinite health. The bigger issue with hacking is people cheating themselves top quality gear at low SM, but even that is pretty contained to the arena.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 19, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

One thing I noticed upon starting my second character is that two-handing weapons (especially with non-terrible strength scaling) actually makes the early game go really smooth. The fire longsword more or less one-shots most minor threats and makes quick work of medium-sized ones (like the giant knights in Heide's Tower of Flame). Once you get dodging and rolling down, you can go through most of the game without a shield and just wrecking face with two-handed weapons.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

CJacobs posted:

Alternatively, hard leather chestpiece, traveler's gloves, hollow soldier leggings.

Hey, which weapon is that? I ask because that's a real weapon stance that I remember was shown in preview runs but I haven't seen it since I started playing.

Also how do you take screenshots of this game? I wanna play fashion souls, but whenever I try to printscreen I just get the desktop.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

One thing I noticed upon starting my second character is that two-handing weapons (especially with non-terrible strength scaling) actually makes the early game go really smooth. The fire longsword more or less one-shots most minor threats and makes quick work of medium-sized ones (like the giant knights in Heide's Tower of Flame). Once you get dodging and rolling down, you can go through most of the game without a shield and just wrecking face with two-handed weapons.

I have had two swords the whole game I've never used a shield because my guy is a goku anime superhero king.

Once you get the dodge mechanics down and have high adaptability things are good.

I'm actually thinking of upping my guys strength so I can dual weild curved greatswords!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Dirty Job posted:

Also how do you take screenshots of this game? I wanna play fashion souls, but whenever I try to printscreen I just get the desktop.

F12 is the Steam hotkey for screenshots. You can find out where it stores them by right-clicking the Steam tray icon later.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dirty Job posted:

Hey, which weapon is that? I ask because that's a real weapon stance that I remember was shown in preview runs but I haven't seen it since I started playing.

A lot of the greatswords have that stance on the 2h slash. Drangleic Sword does, I'm fairly sure. Then, instead of stabbing like you'd expect from a guard like that, you just slash again.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

So either I'm using dual Blue Flame wrong or I'm way too spoiled by my miracles and hexes.
Yesterday I dumped all my remaining Twinkling into those two right after getting the Crystal Magic Weapon but the results were really disappointing. Tried to farm more in Thanks Amana to get both weapons to +5 while cycling through all the Sorceries I never used up until now and found absolutely nothing that did any relevant damage. The highest I could muster was a ~700 Soul Greatsword on those bunched up dudes right at the third bonfire. The moveset and buffed damage of the weapons themselves was underwhelming, too.
That experience made me shy away from using a Soul Vessel for powerstancing. I doubt powerstancing makes all this viable.

It's powerstancing, isn't it. I bet powerstancing is what makes them viable.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Wooze posted:

So either I'm using dual Blue Flame wrong or I'm way too spoiled by my miracles and hexes.
Yesterday I dumped all my remaining Twinkling into those two right after getting the Crystal Magic Weapon but the results were really disappointing. Tried to farm more in Thanks Amana to get both weapons to +5 while cycling through all the Sorceries I never used up until now and found absolutely nothing that did any relevant damage. The highest I could muster was a ~700 Soul Greatsword on those bunched up dudes right at the third bonfire. The moveset and buffed damage of the weapons themselves was underwhelming, too.
That experience made me shy away from using a Soul Vessel for powerstancing. I doubt powerstancing makes all this viable.

It's powerstancing, isn't it. I bet powerstancing is what makes them viable.

Blue Flame isn't actually all that impressive as a weapon, it's just really neat to be able to buff both weapons with magic. Also it looks really neat. Makes for a really neat spellblade-build, but if you're looking for straight DPS you could do better.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Flytrap posted:

Also it looks really neat.

In case you hadn't noticed, Fashion Souls is serious business. :sparkles:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So to get at mcduff I need to roll into this barrel at the top of the stairs? Do lightning spears detonate them?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Someone added me just for this.

How did they even find you? I thought there was no way to determine steam names of people you connect to, hence no hatemail etc.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Ravenfood posted:

A lot of the greatswords have that stance on the 2h slash. Drangleic Sword does, I'm fairly sure. Then, instead of stabbing like you'd expect from a guard like that, you just slash again.

It's actually a pretty versatile guard from which you can cut and thrust. In German Longsword it's called "Ochs" (literally Ox) and it presents both a nice cone of defense as well as offensive capabilities (such as thrusting straight ahead or turning the sword for a cut). I was really surprised to see it in the game at all considering I've never seen it portrayed in video games before.

:goonsay:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Bob NewSCART posted:

So to get at mcduff I need to roll into this barrel at the top of the stairs? Do lightning spears detonate them?

I manage to detonate it without using any weapon at all, just a good straight punt into the wall. If that doesn't work, a firebomb will definitely do it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bob NewSCART posted:

It should blow up on its own when it crashes into the wall.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

Don't roll into it, rolling breaks objects. Just walk into it to push it down the stairs (or try to cajole the mummy at the top to kick it down towards you) and it'll blow. You can also get in via the locked door, key is beyond the Bell Gargoyles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

animatorZed posted:

How did they even find you? I thought there was no way to determine steam names of people you connect to, hence no hatemail etc.

Under "All Players" on the Steam overlay it shows each person you've faced.

No hatemail because you have to add each person you want to hate on.