Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

DynamicSloth posted:

You can easily tell whether or not the U.S. "won" a war if the General in charge becomes President shortly thereafter (with the debatable exception of World War I).

I assume you're hinting at Gen. Leonard Wood, who should have won the 1920 nomination if not for Harding crookedness, but his war involvement was minimal.

I guess Teddy was such a big personality that his Colonel status was just enough.

I guess the further from conscription in time of war we get (and the smaller the forces get), the less we will see military service matter. There just aren't as many people who serve anymore, especially in the upper classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DynamicSloth posted:

You can easily tell whether or not the U.S. "won" a war if the General in charge becomes President shortly thereafter (with the debatable exception of World War I).

Apparently we lost the Mexican War, because Winfield Scott lost the election to that upstart motherfucker Taylor! :argh:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Apparently we lost the Mexican War, because Winfield Scott lost the election to that upstart motherfucker Taylor! :argh:

You prefer to side with an elitist like Old Fuss and Feathers against a man of the people like Old Rough and Ready?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Berke Negri posted:

Except from Petraeus himself kind of hinting at it? He's been embarrassed on the public stage enough by this point that he's definitely not appearing anytime soon though.

Yeah he sure loves hinting at running for president, what with his never a political party, steadfast refusal to even mention his own political beliefs outside of work related stuff (that is to say, war policy,) and of course the real kicker, doing nothing to seed a run in 2010/11 when Obama looked to be vulnerable.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You prefer to side with an elitist like Old Fuss and Feathers against a man of the people like Old Rough and Ready?

Huh. Apparently my memory's been wrong for the last several years, because Old Fuss and Feathers (:911:) actually ran against Franklin Pierce, not Taylor.

Nevertheless, yes. Yes, I do.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

computer parts posted:

There would have been at most 2 presidents who could've had two terms between him and Reagan and one of those had 5-ish years.

Shot, declined re-election, resigned, sucked, and sucked. It was indeed a hard time to be President. Johnson declined reelection, Nixon could have had two terms if he didn't do Watergate, Ford and Carter could have had more terms if they weren't so unpopular.

This is very relevant to the 2020 election because I think it's not possible for a party to hold the White House for 16 years any more, since the last time that happened was under FDR and Truman. The last two men from the same party to serve two consecutive full terms were James Madison and James Monroe. I think voters just need to blame the incumbent for their problems sometimes and that's why I don't think the Democrats' current advantage can last forever.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Shot, declined re-election, resigned, sucked, and sucked. It was indeed a hard time to be President. Johnson declined reelection, Nixon could have had two terms if he didn't do Watergate, Ford and Carter could have had more terms if they weren't so unpopular.

This is very relevant to the 2020 election because I think it's not possible for a party to hold the White House for 16 years any more, since the last time that happened was under FDR and Truman. The last two men from the same party to serve two consecutive full terms were James Madison and James Monroe. I think voters just need to blame the incumbent for their problems sometimes and that's why I don't think the Democrats' current advantage can last forever.

I would have agreed with you 4 years ago but after seeing how little the Republicans care about reaching out to the voting blocs that have completely abandoned them I'm not so sure.

A sway in the popular mood is one thing, but they weren't going to get a more ideal situation when it comes to national mood than 2012. Going up against Hillary who is already a known quantity when they haven't fixed their real problems with demographics? I just don't see it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I'm pretty drat sure it's going to be Hillary in 2016, and I think she will be a competent and reasonably popular president, which makes re-election likely. Bush Sr. is the only president since Carter to lose re-election, and before that you have to go back to Hoover. So I can see a 16 year Democratic reign. Beyond that, who knows.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty drat sure it's going to be Hillary in 2016, and I think she will be a competent and reasonably popular president, which makes re-election likely. Bush Sr. is the only president since Carter to lose re-election, and before that you have to go back to Hoover. So I can see a 16 year Democratic reign. Beyond that, who knows.

Jeb should stand down, help George P. Bush beat Ted Cruz in 2018, and in 2024, we'll probably be ready for a Bush again. New voters would have no real memory of the Bush administration.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

While I don't disagree that blame goes to the guy in charge for better or worse, there are some serious factors in play that make the present electoral terrain different, biggest of all being demographics. In short, "minorities" as a bloc tilt hard to the Democratic ticket for a number of reasons. The largest two minority groups, Latinos and blacks, broke hard for the Ds in the past couple elections and the GOP just can't stop loving up on outreach. Women are less of minority group but are also a strong D demo. GOP won't shut up about how rape isn't such a bad thing and how insurance shouldn't cover contraceptives for who they consider whores (read: pretty much every woman between like 15 and 60 including nuns) so that goes against them.

Basically "white male" is less of a trump card than it ever has been and the GOP just can't stop thinking it still can win alone.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nixon did have two terms, unless you mean two full terms.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Nixon did have two terms, unless you mean two full terms.

Right, and so did Johnson. I did mean full terms, sorry.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Skwirl posted:

Voters are reactionary and have no memory and Presidents are held responsible for whatever happens in the world so projecting in 2014 that Democrats will probably hold the Presidency until 2025 is insane.

(The one time it's happened in modern times (Roosevelt-Truman) it was coming off the biggest economic collapse of all time, going through the entirety of World War 2, and formal term limits hadn't been implemented yet).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Voters are reactionary and have no memory and Presidents are held responsible for whatever happens in the world so projecting in 2014 that Democrats will probably hold the Presidency until 2025 is insane.

(The one time it's happened in modern times (Roosevelt-Truman) it was coming off the biggest economic collapse of all time, going through the entirety of World War 2, and formal term limits hadn't been implemented yet).

Counterpoint: Incumbents are historically favored (1960-1980 was an aberration) and the Republicans don't appear to have anyone ready for 2016.

I mean since 1932 we've had 13 presidents, 9 of which have served more than one term, and two of which didn't even serve a full term (Ford and JFK).

computer parts fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 19, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Another contender has joined the game: James Webb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ufarn posted:

One term senator with no accomplishments. Next.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

mcmagic posted:

One term senator with no accomplishments. Next.

Know who else was a one term senator with no accomplishments?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Beamed posted:

Webb doesn't have a huge cult of personality though. And he isn't getting one.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

ufarn posted:

He also made some very troubling statements about women in combat that today's Democrats aren't going to want to hear. But that was a long time ago so maybe it won't matter. His "pragmatic centrism" also may make it more difficult for him to get primary momentum. Where did you hear that he was interested?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The democratic bench sure is terrible...

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

ufarn posted:

Doesn't see, like he'd be very well positioned to run to Hillary's left and you can't run an insurgent Democratic campaign from the right. I also doubt a guy who walked away from a winnable re-election battle is hungry enough for the long campaign.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

oldswitcheroo posted:

He also made some very troubling statements about women in combat that today's Democrats aren't going to want to hear. But that was a long time ago so maybe it won't matter. His "pragmatic centrism" also may make it more difficult for him to get primary momentum. Where did you hear that he was interested?
Sorry, used the wrong link. Came from here: https://twitter.com/SusanPage/status/468422107261849600.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DynamicSloth posted:

Doesn't see, like he'd be very well positioned to run to Hillary's left and you can't run an insurgent Democratic campaign from the right. I also doubt a guy who walked away from a winnable re-election battle is hungry enough for the long campaign.
I guess he's the more business-friendly, less radical-chic alternative to HRC?

Oh I know: this is a proxy by business interests to push Hillary from the right, to counteract some of the pressure she'll get from activists on the left. Hillary Clinton, wise centrist who threads the needle between James Webb and Bernie Sanders! Some deep-pocketed hedge fund operators will write him checks, and he'll go around warning about the dangers of liberal overreach and backlash and try to scramble some of the messaging coming from the Elizabeth Warren corner of the party.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

FMguru posted:

Oh I know: this is a proxy by business interests to push Hillary from the right, to counteract some of the pressure she'll get from activists on the left. Hillary Clinton, wise centrist who threads the needle between James Webb and Bernie Sanders! Some deep-pocketed hedge fund operators will write him checks, and he'll go around warning about the dangers of liberal overreach and backlash and try to scramble some of the messaging coming from the Elizabeth Warren corner of the party.
I'm still convinced Vilsack was intended to be a stalking horse for the Hillary '08 campaign, but given how spectacularly that fizzled out I don't know why they'd try it again or why anyone would volunteer to be the sad sack failure campaign. I seriously doubt Webb will actually run, he probably just misses being important enough to talk to reporters.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DynamicSloth posted:

I'm still convinced Vilsack was intended to be a stalking horse for the Hillary '08 campaign, but given how spectacularly that fizzled out I don't know why they'd try it again or why anyone would volunteer to be the sad sack failure campaign. I seriously doubt Webb will actually run, he probably just misses being important enough to talk to reporters.

This will definitely get him booked on Morning Joe a few times at least.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Beamed posted:

Hitler?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Luckily the Republican bench is even worse. The Democrats are stuck with uninspiring hacks like Warren and Booker who will never become national figures.

Webb was a serious VP contender in 2008.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

amanasleep posted:

Luckily the Republican bench is even worse. The Democrats are stuck with uninspiring hacks like Warren and Booker who will never become national figures.

Warren is "uninspiring"? There's many people trying to draft her into the primary as we speak, despite the fact that she's said in no uncertain terms that she won't run.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

amanasleep posted:

Warren and Booker don't belong in the same category. Warren isn't perfect but she's about as good as we can get these days on financial issues. Booker is a 3rd way neo liberal hack.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 19, 2014

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

mcmagic posted:

The Democrats are drat lucky to have a candidate poised to retain the White House after two terms with a President likely to close out with a 46% approval rating.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Actually, yes!

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DynamicSloth posted:

The Democrats are drat lucky to have a candidate poised to retain the White House after two terms with a President likely to close out with a 46% approval rating.

Was any other Democrat really gonna have a chance at a better approval rating? Seriously, up to this point, the only White House scandal has been that it was occupied by a black family; that's pretty miraculous for a modern presidency. Given the makeup of Congress, I don't see how anything more could have been accomplished up to this point.

edit: I don't know that he deserves a better approval rating; but, I think we may look back on this presidency as either the beginning of the new normal of obstructionism or a golden age of mediocrity before the complete destruction of the middle class.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 19, 2014

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

DynamicSloth posted:

Counterpoint: the last time one of them closed out with a rating above that, he literally had Alzheimer's and didn't do anything for half his term. Approval ratings > 50% are very 20th century.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Warren and Booker don't belong in the same category. Warren isn't perfect but she's about as good as we can get these days on financial issues.

Out of curiosity: who is/was better than her and also viable as a candidate?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Warren and Booker don't belong in the same category. Warren isn't perfect but she's about as good as we can get these days on financial issues. Booker is a 3rd way neo liberal hack.

:thejoke:

And Booker is a talented 3rd way neoliberal hack.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
#anyonebuthilary

I'm only half kidding and yeah, like I said - I don't think Petraeus has any designs on the presidency, but some important conservative people have wanted him to run. The sick part is that if someone does convince him it fits into the whole myth of 'reluctant hero' just like his so-called demotion to centcom after McChrystal got fired.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Full Battle Rattle posted:

#anyonebuthilary

10 years ago I would have been on the train with you. But after seeing Bush signing anything Tom Delay put on his desk and the current crop of Congressional Republicans I would be perfectly fine keeping America a one-party state for the next two decades until the Boomers start dieing in decent numbers.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

mcmagic posted:

Do you mean terrible in terms of the horse race against the GOP or do you mean terrible in terms of policy? From a horse race standpoint the Dems are doing fine.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Adar posted:

Counterpoint: the last time one of them closed out with a rating above that, he literally had Alzheimer's and didn't do anything for half his term. Approval ratings > 50% are very 20th century.

Yeah it was such a shame watching Clinton struggle with the early stages of Alzheimer's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

amanasleep posted:

:thejoke:

And Booker is a talented 3rd way neoliberal hack.

Also, he's Batman.

• Locked thread