Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vahakyla posted:

Pretty much. If a ten inch is a possibility for 50 dollars, then I might be interested in that.
I am a iPhone and iPad user, but I can't justify a dedicated iPad for this game with their prices. Unfortunately this means that I do not know anything about android nor their tablets. If the app requires 4.0, does it mean that any tablet is capable of running it that is running later than 4.0?

I am pretty much in unknown waters in this one.
Why do you have to dedicate a tablet to the game? Are you planning to permanently mount it in your simulator cockpit? Why can't you just use the app on your current iPad for when you want to play the game? (Assuming the app is available for iOS, which your post implies but admittedly doesn't outright state.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I take my iPad with me, my wife uses it and it moves around the house. The app is available for iPad, for 30 dollars. If I can spend 20 more and get a dedicated tablet to keep with my sim computer, I'd say that is worth it.

This is why I am looking into affordable 50 dollars tablets tha are responsive enough. That is pretty much the value of the utility.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Bung Harmer posted:

All I can tell you is that a $50 tablet is going to be a huge giant piece of poo poo. You'll claw your eyes out in frustration trying to do the most basic task on it.

To be fair, it only has to run one app.

I bet there is a thread buried on a forum in the spergiest depths of the internet dedicated to his question.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

People really liked the Anal Elf.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

I am a gross nerd.

I love DCS A10C and I found out about the https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitshift.dcsvirtualcockpit App that would be perfect for me.
I am looking for the cheapest tablet that could run me this program in front of my ugly face when I am sperging over simulators.

I want it to be Capacitive Display and have somewhat decent resolution.
I do not think that the program I want demands too much, though. It requirements, among others, are 4.0 Android. I will hardly be using the tablet for anything else, but it is not like other uses hurt me.

My budget is 50 dollars, a little low, a little high of that.

I have been eyeying this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Is this what I want or do I want something else?

You linked a 7" tablet with 800x480 resolution. That app will look horrible on it, as will everything else. It won't be responsive and it will likely have lots of app incompatibility problems, though it's tough to know exactly how big a problem that will be until you waste $50 on it and find out.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RVProfootballer posted:

You linked a 7" tablet with 800x480 resolution. That app will look horrible on it, as will everything else. It won't be responsive and it will likely have lots of app incompatibility problems, though it's tough to know exactly how big a problem that will be until you waste $50 on it and find out.

Save up another fifty bucks and buy a 2012 Nexus 7 used. Or save up another $100, and buy a used Nexus 7 2013. It looks like they may launch an 8" Nexus tablet in a month, that will make a lot of people (including myself) blow out their old 7's to upgrade and it will depress the prices.

Honestly, if you only have $50 free to buy a tablet you should not be buying a tablet.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Refurb Hisense Sero's are around $50

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

Refurb Hisense Sero's are around $50

Shut up.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've been thinking of getting a tablet.

I'd want android, not ipad. Would like a big screen, would like to use a stylus (Is that standard?), and as cheap as I can get.

I'm not sure where to start looking at my options. I looked at the OP and it had some decent info, but I wanted something in between the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Tab. Something around a 10inch display or so.

What's the latest version of android available, and can anyone recommend a tablet that meets the needs I've mentioned?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

I've been thinking of getting a tablet.

I'd want android, not ipad. Would like a big screen, would like to use a stylus (Is that standard?), and as cheap as I can get.

I'm not sure where to start looking at my options. I looked at the OP and it had some decent info, but I wanted something in between the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Tab. Something around a 10inch display or so.

What's the latest version of android available, and can anyone recommend a tablet that meets the needs I've mentioned?

The key is as cheap as you can get will be tough. The only good cheap tablet is the nexus 7 Otherwise the Note Pros are exactly what you want. They aren't cheap though.

The stylus part is always going to be subjective, but I can't see needing it unless it's specifically for arts or the like. I just got a Note 3 and the pen is always so much more awkward to use than just my thumbs. It's an extra step. And I find for "note taking" I can type so much faster, on both a phone size screen and a tablet size screen, on a touch screen keyboard versus handwriting with any type of stylus.

To each their own I guess.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Anyone have any experience with the Tegra Note 7? The compute specs and secondary features look really attractive at 200 bucks.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

Lamebot posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Tegra Note 7? The compute specs and secondary features look really attractive at 200 bucks.

Feels a little cheaply made, and the screen is pretty low teir but the stylus works pretty good for 200 bucks. I routinely see it 20 dollars off on newegg sales, so you might want to snag one at 180.

Its a good tablet for 200 bucks if you want a stylus, but if you want to read or watch media (or even want better web browsing) then just spring the extra for the 2013 nexus 7 or wait on the rumored Nexus 8 and hope its cheap.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

In the market for an android tablet (no apple). Want something "around" 10" for web browsing, maybe some light games and vids. Generally laying down on the couch or in bed.

Would like a nexus 10, but after reading this thread, not so sure. Instead looking at Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1.

Crazy idea? Others to consider?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
My girlfriend saw me doodling on a galaxy note 3 and she wants to be able to do the same thing, but on a tablet. I used to have a lenovo thinkpad tablet back in the data that had an active digitizer which worked well but the rest of the experience was crap. Is there something else available that she could buy? I've noticed that Samsung has an 8" galaxy tablet with sPen support, but that's a year old by now. Their more recent sPen tablet stuff is too large (10" and 12"). Are there any other alternatives?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a bunch of Windows 8 tablets with active digitizers, also, but with a few exceptions, they might be pushing your budget or size requirements.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Endless Mike posted:

There's a bunch of Windows 8 tablets with active digitizers, also, but with a few exceptions, they might be pushing your budget or size requirements.

There's not many in the 8 inch range. And the Asus Vivotab 8 is the only one I've heard of with Wacom.

(here have this weird video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weqjbjq31fg

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
I'm thinking about getting a tablet for work so that I can have access to project SharePoint sites when I'm out in the field and in meetings. I would ideally be able to pull up and use any PDF's, office files, auto-cad drawings, and lists/libraries/web-parts in SharePoint. If I could remote access my desktop that would be all kinds of awesome too (for email, SAP, etc...). The mill I work at has several wireless access points, but not everywhere is covered by them, so 3G/4G would be a plus.

An ideal device would be able to survive the following on its own or with a case:
-long falls
-vibration
-extreme hot and cold temperatures (200F to -10F)
-water (rain, minimal submersion)
-dust (wood fines, coal, pulp, paper, lime)
-acids
-caustics
-corrosive gases
-getting washed off in a sink

I doubt that anything will be able to handle everything and still be usable. Work is giving out stipends for electronic devices, so if I could get it on a phone bill that would be awesome too. I'm thinking an iPad and http://store.griffintechnology.com/ipad-air/survivor-custom-case-for-ipad-air in bright orange and white might be the best I can do.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Panasonic's Toughpad is likely your best bet.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

Veinless posted:

Panasonic's Toughpad is likely your best bet.

:eyepop: Those things are monsters! I might have to save up, I was prepared to spend somewhere around $700... ha. Also, Windows or android?

Zev fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 25, 2014

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

Zev posted:

:eyepop: Those things are monsters! I might have to save up, I was prepared to spend somewhere around $700... ha. Also, Windows or android?

I've only used the Windows-based FZ-G1.

Would I call it as rugged as a CF19 Toughbook? No, that poo poo's seriously hardcore rugged. Having used both in an EMS setting, I found the FZ-G1 performed well.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Zev posted:

Most tablets are meant to sit at home or at an office. If you really need one to be washed in a sink you are going outside the operatational capabilities of an iPad or Nexus 7. I'd tell work to stick the stipend up their butts and to purchase you the equipment. I wouldn't put my own money into equipment that is needed for an environment like a mill. Also, the Toughbooks and Toughpads kind of suck as a consumer device. For Toughpad/book money you could get a tricked out Surface Pro 3 or 13"/15" MacBook Pro which are better devices but they will die in your environment.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We're still using CF-19's, if we're lucky. And somehow they're all broken as hell, though anything lesser would have been completely destroyed (EMS as well)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I didn't end up with a Galaxy Pro 10.1 after all.

For $100 more I ended up with 32GB of storage, and 3GB of ram and 2" of screen real estate in the way of a 12.2

God, I'm sure it's going to feel massive but the one I handled in the store felt really good. Getting it from costco online so if I absolutely hate it at least they have a good return policy.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

slidebite posted:

I didn't end up with a Galaxy Pro 10.1 after all.

For $100 more I ended up with 32GB of storage, and 3GB of ram and 2" of screen real estate in the way of a 12.2

God, I'm sure it's going to feel massive but the one I handled in the store felt really good. Getting it from costco online so if I absolutely hate it at least they have a good return policy.

With no idea what you want to do with it or if your budget can stretch just a little more, it you're going for something like that you may want to look into the new Surface Pro 3.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I actually thought about that, but I got it for <$600 and the most basic surface 3 I've seen is another $250 for a i3 which is a pretty significant hike. I've got to draw the line somewhere. I'd also like one more sooner than later :)

The screen on the Galaxy is supposed to be pretty drat nice too @ 2560x1600

I'll be using it for mostly netflix, browsing and the odd android app so I'm optimistic it'll do well.

I also really like that office suite it includes, although it's not "true" MS office it's supposed to be really good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zev posted:

I'm thinking about getting a tablet for work so that I can have access to project SharePoint sites when I'm out in the field and in meetings. I would ideally be able to pull up and use any PDF's, office files, auto-cad drawings, and lists/libraries/web-parts in SharePoint. If I could remote access my desktop that would be all kinds of awesome too (for email, SAP, etc...). The mill I work at has several wireless access points, but not everywhere is covered by them, so 3G/4G would be a plus.

An ideal device would be able to survive the following on its own or with a case:
-long falls
-vibration
-extreme hot and cold temperatures (200F to -10F)
-water (rain, minimal submersion)
-dust (wood fines, coal, pulp, paper, lime)
-acids
-caustics
-corrosive gases
-getting washed off in a sink

I doubt that anything will be able to handle everything and still be usable. Work is giving out stipends for electronic devices, so if I could get it on a phone bill that would be awesome too. I'm thinking an iPad and http://store.griffintechnology.com/ipad-air/survivor-custom-case-for-ipad-air in bright orange and white might be the best I can do.

iPad Air, and All 4 carriers offer plans with iPads, just make sure you get the cellular one. I would probably just get apple care too, it's $100 and swap outs for any physical damage is $80 instead of $250 (doesn't cover lost/stolen).

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 25, 2014

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Sooo.... anyone know of any good deals on a 2013 Nexus 7 right now?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
My 2012 Nexus 7 was murdered by a baby, and I'm looking for something to replace it. Seems like a refurb 2012 Nexus 7 is still the best choice. I don't need a larger screen or a faster processor or more storage.

Is there anything else out there in the ~$100 range that's worth looking at? Maybe another brand refurb tablet, but all the no-name stuff is just absolute garbage spec-wise. I can't imagine trying to read a web page formatted for 2014 computers on an 600x320 screen. :barf:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

khy posted:

Sooo.... anyone know of any good deals on a 2013 Nexus 7 right now?

http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php...s+7&firstonly=1

Slickdeals is your friend.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

p-hop posted:

My 2012 Nexus 7 was murdered by a baby, and I'm looking for something to replace it. Seems like a refurb 2012 Nexus 7 is still the best choice. I don't need a larger screen or a faster processor or more storage.

Is there anything else out there in the ~$100 range that's worth looking at? Maybe another brand refurb tablet, but all the no-name stuff is just absolute garbage spec-wise. I can't imagine trying to read a web page formatted for 2014 computers on an 600x320 screen. :barf:
Go to eBay or Craigslist.

I'd really recommend looking for a deal on a 2013 at this point though, the 2012 is really weak specs wise and on its way to obsolescence (end of support).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just got my 12.2 Galaxy Tab Pro and it's gorgeous.

It's my first real android tablet (only other experience is a playbook) but the screen and responsiveness are fantastic so far.

Just letting it charge up right now and will start some serious playing with it after work.

Want to tidy it up the junk from the app screen that I will never use and then to the app store and find some goodies! :)

Which brings up: What's typically the best browser for tablets? Chomes with chrome but I use firefox on the PC. Is FF mobile version good?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I've always used dolphin browser but they changed it a while back and pissed all over the UI. Worth a look but I use an old version atm.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Firefox mobile can use the AdBlock add-in. I use it on my Android phone and Xoom tablet. It seems to eat up more memory than Chrome, but I still prefer it.
You can also use Synch to share your bookmarks.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

slidebite posted:

Which brings up: What's typically the best browser for tablets? Chomes with chrome but I use firefox on the PC. Is FF mobile version good?
Chrome is great if you can live without extensions. I also use the bookmark syncing with both my desktop and iPad.

Firefox had a bit of a slow start on Android having a terrible UI and generally being sluggish. They've overhauled the UI a few times now and, while it's not particularly Android-like, it's pretty good in its own right. Similarly modern devices can run it pretty well. The upshot is that it's basically like desktop Firefox in feature set, including extension availability. The only other downside is that some tablet-oriented websites recognize the Chrome User-Agent but not Firefox, although both are recognized far less than Safari on an iPad.

Golden Lumber
May 30, 2013
What's a good tablet for reading books and comics and watching videos? I'm currently leaning towards the Nexus 7. Ipads are too expensive for me. If there's anything I overlooked I'd like to check it out before purchasing the Nexus. Thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Golden Lumber posted:

What's a good tablet for reading books and comics and watching videos? I'm currently leaning towards the Nexus 7. Ipads are too expensive for me. If there's anything I overlooked I'd like to check it out before purchasing the Nexus. Thanks!

You are correct, get the nexus 7.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Chrome is great if you can live without extensions. I also use the bookmark syncing with both my desktop and iPad.

Firefox had a bit of a slow start on Android having a terrible UI and generally being sluggish. They've overhauled the UI a few times now and, while it's not particularly Android-like, it's pretty good in its own right. Similarly modern devices can run it pretty well. The upshot is that it's basically like desktop Firefox in feature set, including extension availability. The only other downside is that some tablet-oriented websites recognize the Chrome User-Agent but not Firefox, although both are recognized far less than Safari on an iPad.

Firefox is generally fine now, the only thing that really bugs me right now is that it doesn't use the standard Android zoom gesture, still the old pinch-zoom thing.

It's the only app I have that's still like this, so it's a pain, and a reason to use Chrome.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I started using firefox but just couldn't get used to it, so I went to chrome and like it so far.

I notice the address bar disappears after a bit when browsing a page, is there a simple way to keep it from disappearing? I find if I flick the screen like doing a fast scroll it reappears but that's a pain.

Also, I know it has been mentioned that chrome does not have extensions, but is there plug in like ad block?

Oh and how in the hell do you set a homepage? :saddowns:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Adblock isn't an extension in chrome, it's a phone app that requires you to go somewhere like f-droid, and it works better with root.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Geirskogul posted:

Adblock isn't an extension in chrome, it's a phone app that requires you to go somewhere like f-droid, and it works better with root.

How I do it on all my android devices is root the device, install F-Droid, then install AdAway. It blocks all ads on the device, including Chrome. As far as I know this sort of adblocking thing requires root, it's mandatory. It does work great though!