Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Well, to be fair, Karn is pretty busted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mercury Crusader posted:

In that regard, Karn should be the most overpowered and broken planeswalker of them all, since he should have the entirety of the Urza Block and Weatherlight saga on-hand. Start busting out those turn-one kills, man. :getin:

No because Karn had his spark replaced with Venser's.

God doesn't anyone know the lore.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

AnacondaHL posted:

But can't they at least be good enough for Block Constructed? Or have the block designed to help them be playable?

Not calling you out specifically, but my, how quickly people forget the titans. Having mythics be your best in slot lynchpin creature for every colour for 2 years is actually not all it's cracked up to be, and people would be complaining much worse for much longer if the gods were like that. At least these gods are cool in some ways, and if they're overlooked for constructed, as someone else said that's like 75% of other mythics and no big deal.

They were worried about indestructable giant creatures with potentially game altering effects and went the conservative route. Better safe than sorry.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Not calling you out specifically, but my, how quickly people forget the titans. Having mythics be your best in slot lynchpin creature for every colour for 2 years is actually not all it's cracked up to be, and people would be complaining much worse for much longer if the gods were like that. At least these gods are cool in some ways, and if they're overlooked for constructed, as someone else said that's like 75% of other mythics and no big deal.

They were worried about indestructable giant creatures with potentially game altering effects and went the conservative route. Better safe than sorry.

I actually really liked the titans, and at least one of them (Frost Titan) had some serious competition.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah personally I agree the titans were cool. What I really liked is how closely they were all balanced. They all showed up in decks and there were valid arguments as to why either of several of them were the 'best' in any particular meta. 1 year in core set probably would have been better though, and I'm glad it never coincided with all the flicker effects in AVR.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Zoness posted:

No because Karn had his spark replaced with Venser's.

God doesn't anyone know the lore.

To be fair, I don't really understand all these new planeswalker rules. Back in my day, you'd be lucky if you got to have a planeswalker on a card, and when you did he was a 3/3 for 4 mana and he changed the color of things I guess.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Not calling you out specifically, but my, how quickly people forget the titans.

I'm pretty sure everyone should Remember the Titans (warning: really bad ms paint pasting).

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I actually really liked the titans, and at least one of them (Frost Titan) had some serious competition.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah personally I agree the titans were cool. What I really liked is how closely they were all balanced. They all showed up in decks and there were valid arguments as to why either of several of them were the 'best' in any particular meta. 1 year in core set probably would have been better though, and I'm glad it never coincided with all the flicker effects in AVR.

For competitive, it was balanced, except for the fact that it made every six drop a titan after a point. Additionally, you guys forget the CASUAL player. Having hopped into Magic at a time where every deck was made of titans to be viable, it was like punching a brick wall to a large extent and solely because people had titans and that's all that mattered when they hit the ground. Gods can at least be dismantled by decks not running removal out the rear.

I don't like the titans. They were dull and forced me into being nothing but a control player for a long time because all I could get to handle them was counterspells and oblivion rings.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

qbert posted:

I know it's impossible, but can the "thing they've never done that fans want" be printing Urza and Mishra as Planeswalkers?

Probably just the nostalgia talking.

Sliver Queen of the Planes. She's secretly orchestrated her Skep's growth into dozens of planar realities (Project Riptide was really just her manipulating the Cephalid), and now she effortlessly travels along the psychic threads that connect them. Couldn't be any weirder than Nicol Bolas.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

What do you mean by "it never coincided"? They were in standard together.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

Sliver Queen of the Planes. She's secretly orchestrated her Skep's growth into dozens of planar realities (Project Riptide was really just her manipulating the Cephalid), and now she effortlessly travels along the psychic threads that connect them. Couldn't be any weirder than Nicol Bolas.

Nicol Bolas specifically survived the Mending with an intact Spark (in contrast to Teferi et al) by repairing the rift (over Madara) tied to him with Leshrac's spark, so it's not that weird that he gets a new-walker card. In fact, his involvement in Alara Block pretty much hinges on having a new spark instead of an old spark.

So like, a lot of things are weirder than Nicol Bolas.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Zoness posted:

Nicol Bolas specifically survived the Mending with an intact Spark (in contrast to Teferi et al) by repairing the rift (over Madara) tied to him with Leshrac's spark, so it's not that weird that he gets a new-walker card. In fact, his involvement in Alara Block pretty much hinges on having a new spark instead of an old spark.

So like, a lot of things are weirder than Nicol Bolas.

Well she's also a giant bug monster. I mean weird in the sense of "wow that's an old card to give a walker title to."

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I can't forget what I don't know, since I missed the majority of the Titan's stay upon my return to competitive MtG.

Conservative route is boring. Mistakes are what make this game great. But it's certainly fine to hold the opinion the other way.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AnacondaHL posted:

I can't forget what I don't know, since I missed the majority of the Titan's stay upon my return to competitive MtG.

Conservative route is boring. Mistakes are what make this game great. But it's certainly fine to hold the opinion the other way.

I don't know, man. Busted cards aren't very fun to play against.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AnacondaHL posted:

*remembers the days of Necro Summer and Urza's Block*

I hold the opposite opinion, obviously. :)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Stab posted:

What do you mean by "it never coincided"? They were in standard together.

Shows what I remember, heh. I don't really play standard v:shobon:v

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Honestly, the only place I really like the titans is alongside the Wurmcoil Engine in a power cube, so that way they can be busted with everything else.

Mana Drain a Myr Battlesphere, then play Sun Titan on your turn using the excess mana, pulling a Karakas out of your graveyard to get the fourth white you need for Armageddon. Beat down opponent while they have absolutely nothing. Now that's cool, but only because Sun Titan is more on par with everything else.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Let's Read Journey Into Nyx: Chapter 11

Clint Cearley, Cast Into Darkness (JOU)

As the party goes on their way, they come across a massacre. One priest in Heliod's robes - who will turn out to be an acquaintance of Daxos' and Elspeth's from the temple at Meletis - is left alive, eyes burnt and smoking perpetually. Lovely. Ephara cared enough to protect Meletis, but didn't stand against Heliod when he came for his own priests. He blinded them, and when they came too near the Nessian Forest (on their way toward the leonin, the obvious refuge for those against whom the gods turn), Nylea's creatures found them and hunted them down.

Nils Hamm, Sip of Hemlock (THS)

Even so, the priest refuses to be healed. He accepts the fate he has been given, he says, and will find his end in his own way. He even asks them not to bury the dead, to let them stand as a warning to others of what happens when you anger the gods. Then he drinks a flask of nightshade extract to end it. Brimaz sees this as a terrible thing to happen to someone. Humans under the gods cleave to destiny. Leonin embrace the unknown.

Howard Lyon, Anthousa, Setessan Hero (THS)

As they journey deeper into the Nessian, they come upon Anthousa. Nikka joined the Nyxborn, but Anthousa is ready to fight against the gods if she must. The forces of all three poleis are being drawn up on the forested slopes of the mountains - and the Nyxborn, like a carpet of stars, like Nyx itself has fallen to the earth, are gathering on the opposite side of the valley.

Where Brimaz has hopes of victory, Anthousa seems prepared more for a long grinding-down of her armies, winning individual engagements and holding out for a time, but eventually defeated. She sees Elspeth as their best hope, and even hints at the possibility that Xenagos and/or his ascension and/or the damage to Nyx are deranging the gods' minds. She believes that at least Nylea will come to her senses if Xenagos can be killed. She gives Ajani and Elspeth a boat to take down the river to the coast, and bids them farewell.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Man, forget Xenagos, Heliod's the real villain of this story. What a dick.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like the jockeying for oracles shown in godsend, since they can be "eyes on the ground" for gods, and that every god wants some of their own.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Man, forget Xenagos, Heliod's the real villain of this story. What a dick.
It's pretty impressive that the white god manages to be an even bigger rear end in a top hat than the "God of Lies and Deception". At least Phenax is pretty open about it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It always makes me laugh that religious pantheons tend to feature deities that have a serious thirst for having sex with mortals. The part with Nylea sounds even more hilarious because apparently its a case of a deity failing to seal the deal.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Retcon posted:

It's pretty impressive that the white god manages to be an even bigger rear end in a top hat than the "God of Lies and Deception". At least Phenax is pretty open about it.

If magic lore does a good job of anything it's making sure that you don't think White means good.

Cases in point: Konda, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV (well he's U/W), Elesh Norn (well I mean, obviously), the Order (Otaria, with and without Akroma), Radiant.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Wasn't Urza the orignal White villain?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

If magic lore does a good job of anything it's making sure that you don't think White means good.

Cases in point: Konda, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV (well he's U/W), Elesh Norn (well I mean, obviously), the Order (Otaria, with and without Akroma), Radiant.

Not to mention that Sorin Markov is basically a good guy, despite his color identity being mostly black.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

A big flaming stink posted:

Wasn't Urza the orignal White villain?

He's blue but occasionally he's red or I guess black.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

Also the Dark(check this out).

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Xenagos's whole thing is supposed to be showing that the gods are bullshit. He's kind of doing a good job of it, really. He's just also a complete and utter cock in his own right.

Mercury Crusader posted:

He's blue but occasionally he's red or I guess black.

A key thing of old planeswalkers is they had the ability to use all five colors of magic with no problem and equally. They just each had preferences. Urza, being an artificer, was blue but used All sorts of colored stuff.

Karn still is noted as specifically being able to use all five colors.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Man, I always forget how The entire Weatherlight saga reads like a fever dream.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Elyv posted:

Also the Dark(check this out).

That's this in card form holy crap

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It doesn't help that, on top of being amoral dicks, white is also by far and large the best out of the colors at being a tyrant. Black wants to be the best tyrant, but white does it with absolute ease.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ramos posted:

It doesn't help that, on top of being amoral dicks, white is also by far and large the best out of the colors at being a tyrant. Black wants to be the best tyrant, but white does it with absolute ease.

Black wants to be a Tyrant because having power is awesome.

White IS a Tyrant because it is correct and must enforce the proper laws. White isn't Amoral, White is overly moral, White is a zealot, blinded by the perceived righteousness of its cause. If protecting the pantheon means striking down the threat that is Elspeth, than she will exist no longer.

Black=Libertarianism

Blue=Geniocracy

White=Theocracy

Green=Anarchoprimitivism

Red=Anarchy

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 19, 2014

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Zoness posted:

It happens so regularly it's kinda boring that the fluff has Heliod as the Actual Big Bad. Why you gotta upstage RG at villainy, W? You get to be the big bad all the time!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

My guess is that the ending of the JOU book is supposed to be an homage to Grecian tragedy, but that they'll just fix all of the ramifications later, given the amount of hints they're handing out that this isn't over.

I mean, Helland pretty much said that the story isn't over.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Angry Grimace posted:

My guess is that the ending of the JOU book is supposed to be an homage to Grecian tragedy, but that they'll just fix all of the ramifications later, given the amount of hints they're handing out that this isn't over.

I mean, Helland pretty much said that the story isn't over.

Ajani will go get Koth and Koth will go to the underworld and save her. :swoon:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chorocojo posted:

We'll probably find out about it whenever we get to the duel deck for Elspeth v. Kiora. There's no real reason to have more Theros or Elspeth lore before that. The Jace v. Vraska one had some random post-script lore about Jace durdling in Ravnica, and that came out around the same time as Born of the Gods.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Chorocojo posted:

I too await for when the newly Compleated Koth begins the Phyrexian excursion into Theros. Compleated deities, like Compleated Eldrazi, sounds AWESOME.

edit-If it isnt obvious, I am firmly in the camp of people who believes that the best villain in MTG was, and is Phyrexia, so anyway to shoehorn them in is cool by me.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Madmarker posted:

I too await for when the newly Compleated Koth begins the Phyrexian excursion into Theros. Compleated deities, like Compleated Eldrazi, sounds AWESOME.
That would be super dumb and cheesy, but on the other hand, "Devotion to Phyrexia" would be an awesomely flavorful mechanic.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Man, I hope they do more fun stuff with naming walkers. Like Koth the Acronym, Liliana the Anagram, and Dack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Was there ever an upkeep cost with phyrexian mana?

• Locked thread