Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

Ugh. What is Jeph Loeb's deal?

He's 13 years old. He thinks shock is good enough and doesn't need a good story to accompany it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

zoux posted:

Ugh. What is Jeph Loeb's deal?

A bunch of very bad poo poo happened in real life and it kinda broke him.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm a huge Samurai Jack fan. Are the IDW books that take place after the series worth buying?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm a huge Samurai Jack fan. Are the IDW books that take place after the series worth buying?

Absolutely. I think it does a pretty good job of capturing the feel of the show.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Any good Flash comics? (Wally West or Barry Allen; doesn't matter which)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

radlum posted:

Any good Flash comics? (Wally West or Barry Allen; doesn't matter which)

Mark Waid's run is pretty great. His Return of Barry Allen is a classic. Also Geoff John's first Flash run with Wally is pretty good. Just stop at around 200 as it soon turns into crossover town.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Instead of reading Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum, read Ultimate Edit over on 4thLetter.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Got back into reading comics again after getting a Nexus 7, and while I got Marvel Unlimited, I am a bit overwhelm on what to read. Going with my brother suggestion I started reading Hawkeye which I am loving, with Wolverine and the X-Men, Deadpool, & X-Statics on my queue.

I mostly just interested in more humorous books from Marvel or stuff like What If. I already bought Nextwave and the new Ms Marvel book from Comixology, so I am a bit at else to read from Marvel Unlimited.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Make sure you read X-Force #116-129 before X-Statix.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
If Superior Foes of Spider-Man is up there, read it. Dan Slott's She-Hulk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gillen's Young Avengers run is great.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also I'm going to say check out Peter David's X-Factor v3, at least the first 30 issues or thereabouts. The beginning of that run has some of the funniest, most charming superhero comics I've read.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

I mostly just interested in more humorous books from Marvel or stuff like What If. I already bought Nextwave and the new Ms Marvel book from Comixology, so I am a bit at else to read from Marvel Unlimited.
The Superior Foes of Spider-Man!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Soonmot posted:

If Superior Foes of Spider-Man is up there, read it. Dan Slott's She-Hulk.

Slott also did an excellent Spider-Man/Human Torch mini, "I'm With Stupid".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waid's current Daredevil run has some really funny parts. And some really not funny parts as well, so I'm not sure if it's what you're after.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rirse posted:

Got back into reading comics again after getting a Nexus 7, and while I got Marvel Unlimited, I am a bit overwhelm on what to read. Going with my brother suggestion I started reading Hawkeye which I am loving, with Wolverine and the X-Men, Deadpool, & X-Statics on my queue.

Matt Fraction's FF (not Fantastic Four, though that isn't bad, just not as funny) and Defenders, also the Defenders miniseries written by Giffen, DeMateis and drawn by Maguire is fun. Ultimate Fantastic Four, written by Warren Ellis (I think it's issues 6 or 7 through 18) are pretty good too. And the Wolverine / Spider-Man mini by Jason Aaron.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
I'm trying to get into Batman and I would like to read Batman stories where he isn't the giant piece of poo poo from DKR, any recommendations?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uznare posted:

I'm trying to get into Batman and I would like to read Batman stories where he isn't the giant piece of poo poo from DKR, any recommendations?

Batman '66
Batman Adventures
Batman and Robin Adventures
Batman: Gotham Adventures

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How about the comic version of Batman and Son? http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Son-New-Edition/dp/1401244025/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400279229&sr=8-1&keywords=batman+and+son
It's the start of Grant Morrison's amazing run.
If you keep reading for a few trades past that, Dick Grayson takes a turn at being Batman and it gets really fun.
e: And after that it turns into Batman Incorporated, which is about a world wide network of bat heroes Bruce establishes and teams up with. It's great.

There's a Bat-cow.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 16, 2014

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Batman also kind of owns in Grant Morrison's JLA. Morrison made him even more Batman-y when contrasted with the rest of that group. It's something special.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You can probably trace the "Batman is ultra-paraonoid and has strategies to defeat all his friends" trend that's still popular to Waid's subsequent "Tower of Babel" story arc (it's much older than that but I think Waid's story was what solidified it).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Batman Black and White has a huge range in style and tone and might be worth looking at.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Help me goons! I'm looking for a cool, modern fantasy comic. I've already read The Unwritten (most of it), Locke & Key, the Invisibles and Fables. A bit of Hellblazer. I like all of those, but I'm open to more suggestions.

Mainly I just want something similar to the Dresden File book series, or the World of Darkness rpg's. If it's finished, or pretty long, even better!

edit: hell, also requesting anything kind of high-fantasy, the more colorful and silly, the better.

VVV Those look pretty good. I wasn't thinking about anything like Saga but now that I know about it, I'm pretty interested, thanks!

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 19, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Demon Knights and Joe the Barbarian are good. Those fit?

Saga?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 19, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Does Rat Queens count as modern? It's set in a fantasy world, but it seems like more of a contemporary fantasy world with, like, cell phones and hipsters and stuff.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Help me goons! I'm looking for a cool, modern fantasy comic. I've already read The Unwritten (most of it), Locke & Key, the Invisibles and Fables. A bit of Hellblazer. I like all of those, but I'm open to more suggestions.

Mainly I just want something similar to the Dresden File book series, or the World of Darkness rpg's. If it's finished, or pretty long, even better!

edit: hell, also requesting anything kind of high-fantasy, the more colorful and silly, the better.

VVV Those look pretty good. I wasn't thinking about anything like Saga but now that I know about it, I'm pretty interested, thanks!

Hellboy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Also BPRD

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Sandman, Lucifer

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So what run should I read as someone completely new to comic books? Just pick one and go? As of now I'm going to read the original run of Deadpool, for pretty much no reason other than I know of that character. Any better suggestions?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

So what run should I read as someone completely new to comic books? Just pick one and go? As of now I'm going to read the original run of Deadpool, for pretty much no reason other than I know of that character. Any better suggestions?

That' super open ended. Why are you reading comics? What do you hope to find? What sort of fiction to you enjoy in general? Do you want super heroes? Funny stuff? Grim&Gritty? Like a character from a movie or cartoon (If you like Deadpool, the new series by Poshen and Duggan is really fun.)?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
The new Deadpool is excellent especially the Tony Stark and White Man stuff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

For superheroes, the Marvel and DC books since 2011 & 2012 have been on (mostly) new reader friendly volumes and they're all pretty young still, so you can pick a character and go back to their book's last #1. Plus, most are on some of their best runs in ages (some are definitely not, ie. Iron Man, Justice League)

Thor: https://www.comixology.com/Thor-God-of-Thunder/comics-series/9009
Batman: https://www.comixology.com/Batman-2011/comics-series/6644
Deadpool: https://www.comixology.com/Deadpool-Vol-4/comics-series/9014
etc.

If you're into digital, Marvel has a subscription service which would be the cheapest way to try stuff out.
https://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

edit: Deadpool was in the absolute best team book in years, Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force. Read the poo poo out of that!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 20, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

More info would be handy--do you tend to like sci-fi, comedy, western, drama, space epics, alternate universes, horror, etc?

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
I'm pretty new to superhero comics and would appreciate some suggestions. I've just started reading Thor: God of Thunder and am loving it, any comics a bit like that kicking around? Also, the X-Men comics seem pretty good but honestly the sheer number of them is a bit intimidating. Are there any particularly good runs to start off at?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I would tell you to look into East of West, the second most :black101: book that I've read recently after Thor.

I also really liked Slaine: The Horned God. It has painted artwork like the side of a van. The story focuses on Celtic themes, which have a bit of a different slant than Norse myths or typical western stories, but I dug it.

There's also a lot of good Conan stuff out there. But, A LOT of Conan stuff is out there. This is a good place to start.

With X-Men, start with Grant Morrison's New X-Men.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 20, 2014

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
I'm actually a big celtic folklore nerd so I'll definitely look up Slaine, thanks buddy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Saki posted:

I'm actually a big celtic folklore nerd so I'll definitely look up Slaine, thanks buddy.

Warning, all I know of Celtic lore is from that book. I hope it's not all wrong and offensive!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You might dig Brian Azzarello's current Wonder Woman series which is all about her extended family of deities and their in-fighting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Saki posted:

Also, the X-Men comics seem pretty good but honestly the sheer number of them is a bit intimidating. Are there any particularly good runs to start off at?

The original Chris Claremont run with Dave Cockrum and John Byrne handling the art is probably the "definitive" version even if it might come off as being a bit dated. New X-Men by Grant Morrison is pretty good as well. I personally enjoyed Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon, though I'm not sure if it might rely too much on what Morrison did in his series.

There's "deep cuts" obviosuly, but if you're just beginning with the X-Men those are probably the "greatest hits".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

The Ultimate universe is pretty good for that kind of stuff. Brand new separate continuity so you don't have to know any backstory. That's pretty much how I got into superhero books and look at me now!

Saki posted:

I'm pretty new to superhero comics and would appreciate some suggestions. I've just started reading Thor: God of Thunder and am loving it, any comics a bit like that kicking around? Also, the X-Men comics seem pretty good but honestly the sheer number of them is a bit intimidating. Are there any particularly good runs to start off at?

If you are an adult coming to comics with mature storytelling sensibilities the old stuff is going to drive you nuts. Claremont's stories are good but the dialog is atrocious, repetitive and extremely expository. If you want to get into X-men stuff as a new adult reader, I'd recommend starting with Morrison's New X-Men or Whedon's Astonishing X-Men runs.