Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

joylessdivision posted:

I don't get it either. I was playing cards against humanity with a group of friends a couple months ago and one of the cards was about "The Friend zone" we all had a good laugh, until one woman asked what it meant. 90% of the room being women/aware human beings explained it.

She tried to tell us "No, that's a real thing!" :psyduck:

I've heard women claim it's an actual thing. Categorizing dudes into small "friends" "not friends" "potential lovers" compartments in their minds.

Apparently the friend zone is when you know a dude is crushing on you but you still keep him around as a friend for favors? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

I've heard women claim it's an actual thing. Categorizing dudes into small "friends" "not friends" "potential lovers" compartments in their minds.

Apparently the friend zone is when you know a dude is crushing on you but you still keep him around as a friend for favors? :shrug:

I guess so? I mean I was under the misguided impression that men and women can be friends without there being anything vaguely sexual or romantic involved and that spending time with people whose company you enjoy is enough in and of itself. But then again I haven't taken the "Red Pill" so :shrug:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

joylessdivision posted:

I guess so? I mean I was under the misguided impression that men and women can be friends without there being anything vaguely sexual or romantic involved and that spending time with people whose company you enjoy is enough in and of itself. But then again I haven't taken the "Red Pill" so :shrug:

When I help a dudebro out with his studies, I'm a friend, but when I do the same to a girl, she's taking advantage of me and I'm totally friendzoned, bro. :shrug:

I can understand this sentiment amongst dudes that have the feeling girls are taking advantage of their feelings but hearing it from the mouth of a girl was a verbal slap to the proverbial face.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
UKIP is the gift that keeps on giving.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Deltasquid posted:

When I help a dudebro out with his studies, I'm a friend, but when I do the same to a girl, she's taking advantage of me and I'm totally friendzoned, bro. :shrug:

I can understand this sentiment amongst dudes that have the feeling girls are taking advantage of their feelings but hearing it from the mouth of a girl was a verbal slap to the proverbial face.

Anecdotally it's not even uncommon. I've known a few women, including one of my best friends, who will do that kind of thing and who believe fully in the Friend Zone as a result. Some poor sap would crush on them, and they'd keep them around and (sometimes) lead them on for favors. I usually made it a point to give them poo poo for it, because it isn't really a cool thing to do.

That said, the other side isn't all that great either. I can at least see the logic from the viewpoint of a socially awkward person, though. It can be hard to just go up to someone you don't know, but think you might be interested in, and ask them out. It's a lot easier to try and make friends first, and hope that grows into something more. What's worse is sometimes it works, and even works well, but most of the time it doesn't. And that's how MRAs are born.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Anecdotally it's not even uncommon. I've known a few women, including one of my best friends, who will do that kind of thing and who believe fully in the Friend Zone as a result. Some poor sap would crush on them, and they'd keep them around and (sometimes) lead them on for favors. I usually made it a point to give them poo poo for it, because it isn't really a cool thing to do.

That said, the other side isn't all that great either. I can at least see the logic from the viewpoint of a socially awkward person, though. It can be hard to just go up to someone you don't know, but think you might be interested in, and ask them out. It's a lot easier to try and make friends first, and hope that grows into something more. What's worse is sometimes it works, and even works well, but most of the time it doesn't. And that's how MRAs are born.

So basically some people do lovely things, idiots extrapolate lovely thing to everyone, we mock idiots.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I've met guys who do the exact same thing to girls, too. The only difference is that the guys I've met are also keeping the girls around as backup fuckbuddies, like he's doing this girl a favor by letting her do stuff for him and she'll occasionally get rewarded with his dick.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Before being exposed to the wider world of the internet, I had understood the friendzone to simply be the situation where you've got a crush on someone, but they just want to be friends with you. No malicious intent.

Of course, then I saw how assholes used the term, and I've accepted that it's been irrevocably tainted, but "hey, you have an unrequited crush, that is a thing that sucks" is a nice thing to be able to sum up in a single word.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

I'm not homophobic I've been called gay? Well that's a new spin on the usual "I have [insert minority here] friends" defence at least.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

joylessdivision posted:

So basically some people do lovely things, idiots extrapolate lovely thing to everyone, we mock idiots.

Yes, exactly. It is the circle of life, and it binds us all (in stupidity).

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I've met guys who do the exact same thing to girls, too. The only difference is that the guys I've met are also keeping the girls around as backup fuckbuddies, like he's doing this girl a favor by letting her do stuff for him and she'll occasionally get rewarded with his dick.

Oh yeah, definitely. The "Friend Zone", in as much as it exists as a product of lovely people, is definitely not unique to one set of sexy parts over the other.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

TinTower posted:

Damnit, he's found our secret meeting notes. Well we're hosed now, the heterosexual family will be saved :negative:

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

TinTower posted:

I really want to know the context of him being called a "homosexual" "many times." He's really in the closet isn't he and this is his way of trying to be cool to his fellow UKIP friends, that's the only way I can see that make sense!

Either that or it's the same as "I'm not a racist! A black dude totally called me a 'friend of the family' once!"

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

MyFaceBeHi posted:

I really want to know the context of him being called a "homosexual" "many times." He's really in the closet isn't he and this is his way of trying to be cool to his fellow UKIP friends, that's the only way I can see that make sense!

Either that or it's the same as "I'm not a racist! A black dude totally called me a 'friend of the family' once!"

I'm betting it was just people saying he was totally gay, using gay pejoratively.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

MyFaceBeHi posted:

I really want to know the context of him being called a "homosexual" "many times."

He probably plays Call of Duty online.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Deltasquid posted:

He probably plays Call of Duty online.

Or he's frequently an OP.

soggywaffles
Mar 18, 2009

Puntification posted:

I'm not homophobic I've been called gay? Well that's a new spin on the usual "I have [insert minority here] friends" defence at least.

It's more like saying "I'm not racist, because another white guy totally called me the N-word. So I know how it feels to be black, so I can't be racist".

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Deltasquid posted:

It's Canada. The girl is forced against her will to have maple syrup on her pancakes every morning.

EDIT:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Inconsiderate car crash victims

Shortly followed by

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

soggywaffles posted:

It's more like saying "I'm not racist, because another white guy totally called me the N-word. So I know how it feels to be black, so I can't be racist".

Well sure but that's not a common defence against accusations of bigotry. I was categorising them together because denial through a spurious justification, either having minority friends or having been called gay, which somehow excuses openly bigoted behaviour is really common.

soggywaffles
Mar 18, 2009

Puntification posted:

Well sure but that's not a common defence against accusations of bigotry. I was categorising them together because denial through a spurious justification, either having minority friends or having been called gay, which somehow excuses openly bigoted behaviour is really common.

I guess I'm the idiot/bigot here for thinking "I'm not racist/phobic because I've been called [slur]" is somehow even more ridiculous than "I have [oppressed minority] friends so I'm totally not..."

I've been mistaken for a woman before so I totally get it ladies.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
"I'm not racist because I'm trans-black and I've been through the same thing as black people!"

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

What do they mean by that response? Is it funny that Chase is responding to them? Did they realize what an imbecile they are and laughing at themselves? Or do they believe that Chase is being stupid? What is it??

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Kraps posted:

What do they mean by that response? Is it funny that Chase is responding to them? Did they realize what an imbecile they are and laughing at themselves? Or do they believe that Chase is being stupid? What is it??

I think that's just the sound made when a piece of knowledge passes through the space between her ears, like the rustling of leaves from an autumn breeze.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kraps posted:

The two debit cards they posted have different names on them, as they do not belong to the Twitter user and were probably taken from @NeedADebitCard. Chase responds to what it believes to be terrible practices, and said Twitter user laughs at the fact they took it seriously under the context.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

karl fungus posted:

"I'm not racist because I'm trans-black and I've been through the same thing as black people!"

I'm curious, could you get around the whole appropriation thing by saying you're trans-[ethnic group] and would SJWs destroy you for it, or let it slide? Because it seems like either answer would condemn half of the SJW community at once. Like you could be a skinny white boy, but by claiming you're trans-gender, trans-fat, trans-african, would tumblr support you or not?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Takoluka posted:

The two debit cards they posted have different names on them, as they do not belong to the Twitter user and were probably taken from @NeedADebitCard. Chase responds to what it believes to be terrible practices, and said Twitter user laughs at the fact they took it seriously under the context.

Also her name is "Lana Del oval office" and she made someone from Chase write that out.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I'm curious, could you get around the whole appropriation thing by saying you're trans-[ethnic group] and would SJWs destroy you for it, or let it slide? Because it seems like either answer would condemn half of the SJW community at once. Like you could be a skinny white boy, but by claiming you're trans-gender, trans-fat, trans-african, would tumblr support you or not?

There's only one way to find out. :frogon:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Wow. Just wow. I thought I had a nice philosophical post and it was going to make people think, but drat.

B.B. Rodriguez has a new favorite as of 21:59 on May 19, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You might even say it's simply amazing.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Well, normal people would understand that transgender is the only one of those things that actually exist. Tumblr might support you, though, because as seen above, they're really weird.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

please check your privilege before you cis-gen...

no i cant even mock this

pls wont someone think of the trans-indians?

i am white on the outside but im a spirit eagle son of green buffalo on the inside

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Have some youtube. Not really an idiot though, more like downright bizarre.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Ratjaculation posted:

Inconsiderate car crash victims

Shortly followed by

''Someone may be seriously injured but MY TELEVISION PROGRAMS'':gonk:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Does this make Michael Jackson a transhonky? Transtwiggy?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

http://shitotakusay.com/post/79925658550

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

Does this make Michael Jackson a transhonky? Transtwiggy?

Transaatrek.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

この女の子はバカ外人だよ。これを読むことができると思いますか?

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

この女の子はバカ外人だよ。これを読むことができると思いますか?

I never thought I'd see 'fucktard' written in katakana, but I guess I can cross that one off my list (though it probably should be more like "フャックタード")

e: Wow, I COMPLETELY misread that first sentence. I liked it better when I thought you were trying to call her a fucktard, though.

Mr. Bones has a new favorite as of 03:21 on May 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I've just realized how incredibly hosed up it is that Monty Python of all people got the transgender stuff right in Life of Brian but holy gently caress people just grabbed that idea and ran with it, inventing otherkin and trans-black and everything shy of trans-formers.

Sometimes I just don't understand people. I know everyone wants to be a special snowflake but drat some of em are just weird.

• Locked thread