Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The worst Hard Mode in all of SMT is the Hard Mode in Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzanoah vs. King Abaddon. Both Raidou games have brutal hard modes, but I was literally rendered into an unwinnable state within MINUTES of starting the game--it's utterly and completely merciless.

If you blow off all of your cash, maybe. King Mode in KA actually made the enemies a threat instead of a punching bag and god help you if you didn't set up a superpowered demon for cheap before you finished the game the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

A Bystander posted:

If you blow off all of your cash, maybe. King Mode in KA actually made the enemies a threat instead of a punching bag and god help you if you didn't set up a superpowered demon for cheap before you finished the game the first time.

Fiends can attack you on the first day. I got, twice mind you, two new games both, had the White Rider show up as soon as I first entered the Dark World. I could flee, sometimes. Most of the time I failed and got slaughtered. I couldn't level up and couldn't advance.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Fiends can attack you on the first day. I got, twice mind you, two new games both, had the White Rider show up as soon as I first entered the Dark World. I could flee, sometimes. Most of the time I failed and got slaughtered. I couldn't level up and couldn't advance.

That's why you need to watch the phases and enter the Dark World as soon after as it stops being a New Moon. When it's about to become a New Moon again, you get the hell out of there into an area with no encounters and walk around until it stops being a New Moon. By the time you get to the 2nd or 3rd chapter, you should have enough scratch to get a powerful demon from Victor to at least push in the White Rider's poo poo. It helps that the first two horsemen also have weaknesses that you can exploit to take them out ASAP.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

A Bystander posted:

That's why you need to watch the phases and enter the Dark World as soon after as it stops being a New Moon. When it's about to become a New Moon again, you get the hell out of there into an area with no encounters and walk around until it stops being a New Moon. By the time you get to the 2nd or 3rd chapter, you should have enough scratch to get a powerful demon from Victor to at least push in the White Rider's poo poo. It helps that the first two horsemen also have weaknesses that you can exploit to take them out ASAP.

Well...well it's hard! It's super hard and...and whatever!

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Well...well it's hard! It's super hard and...and whatever!

Dude, it's fine. King's Mode is suitably hard but with whatever challenge it brings, there's a lot of tedious bullshit that goes with it. If I had it my way, I'd keep everything but the Fiends coming on the first chapter because that's a bit rude.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh, that'd explain why I was having so much trouble with Nocturne compared to others, I was playing Hard Mode. I assume it's better to just switch to Normal to avoid the extra tedium? I've also been playing Soul Hackers recently and it's disappointingly easy so far, Nemissa can pretty much take everything by herself so long as I put her in the back row.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh please tell me this is coming out for EU psn too.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Golden Goat posted:

Oh please tell me this is coming out for EU psn too.

Possible, but I wouldn't bank on it. Maken Shao's still EU-locked, from what I can gather. Then again, that didn't get a US release. Ghostlight were interested in releasing it though, like I said earlier in the thread.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/2nd-agarest-zero-dlc-bundle-comes-to-steam

"Ghostlight" posted:

Moving on to SMT: Digital Devil Saga I and II for PSN – if you remember last week I mentioned we were looking into these titles again following the recent release of SMT: Nocturne on the North American PSN Store. Well, earlier today I learned that following some discussions with Sony, they are investigating whether the two Digital Devil Saga titles will work with the latest version of the PS2 emulator. This process is likely to take a few weeks but we’re keeping our fingers crossed in the hope that all goes well. Whatever happens, I’ll be sure to let you all know as soon as I hear anything.

So we'll get it but not alongside the US release.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Releasing 10 year old games again unchanged is great and all but I'd really like them to do to some sort of HD version more than anything. I remember seeing a boxset before I knew what SMT was that had DDS1 and 2, and maybe Nocturne? All sold as one game. If they did that, made it widescreen and higher resolution with music that didn't come out of a gameboy speaker I would definitely be interested. Although it would probably make less money than Persona 4 Spinoff 6

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It was just DDS1 and 2, I believe. I know DDS1 preorders came with a special box to house two games because DDS2 was impending or something. Maybe you're thinking of that?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

It was just DDS1 and 2, I believe. I know DDS1 preorders came with a special box to house two games because DDS2 was impending or something. Maybe you're thinking of that?

Oh I think the store I saw them at was selling the DDS1+2 boxset next to Nocturne in a special "Collector's" section because nobody knew what SMT was. I remember they looked intriguing but I was put off by how Satanic the whole thing looked when I was 15 :ohdear:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Oh, that'd explain why I was having so much trouble with Nocturne compared to others, I was playing Hard Mode. I assume it's better to just switch to Normal to avoid the extra tedium? I've also been playing Soul Hackers recently and it's disappointingly easy so far, Nemissa can pretty much take everything by herself so long as I put her in the back row.

If Nocturne's difficulty is bothering you then just switch down, no one's judging you for not wanting to work hard on your first run. And to be honest that's just kind of Soul Hackers in general. You can make it more interesting by not using Nemissa that much but in most cases she just pounds the game into dust.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Releasing 10 year old games again unchanged is great and all but I'd really like them to do to some sort of HD version more than anything. I remember seeing a boxset before I knew what SMT was that had DDS1 and 2, and maybe Nocturne? All sold as one game. If they did that, made it widescreen and higher resolution with music that didn't come out of a gameboy speaker I would definitely be interested. Although it would probably make less money than Persona 4 Spinoff 6

Remaking the games would cost them way more money than they'd get back from them. Though if we're just talking dream scenarios that will never happen, I'd like them all to be playable on Vita because gently caress playing JRPGs on anything but handhelds these days. I'm gonna get all of these game eventually but it'd be day one if I could play on the go.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What are the stats I should be prioritizing for Nocturne?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

MrAristocrates posted:

Punch everything to death with Physical, and keep Pierce. Get Fog Breath and other buff/debuffs.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

If you're going for The True Demon Ending then a physical build is the way to go, with STR being the most important followed by AGI and VIT. Do put the odd point into MAG though because it contributes to magic defense.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I am a poor bastard who has gone down the path of going into hard mode blind, and aiming for the true demon ending. I didn't know about the magic thing until too late.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I am a poor bastard who has gone down the path of going into hard mode blind, and aiming for the true demon ending. I didn't know about the magic thing until too late.

Magic is never BAD to pump up, for literally the whole game magic will be very useful to you. Just make sure you throw in some strength points as well. You don't need to min/max much for Hard Mode and your main character can literally level up forever, so if worse comes to worse you can just grind to victory. There are no stat requirements for skills, so just use what's best to you. I don't remember what Mind Charge is called in Nocturne, but I'm pretty sure you have a Focus-equivalent for magic too.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

There is no mind charge in Nocturne

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Nocturne is way cooler than SMTIV and I say that as someone who loved SMTIV. I wish they would've used the full character models in battle on SMTIV because it's pretty badass and really highlights the battle system's strengths. Maybe they thought the 3DS couldn't handle it?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 19, 2014

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It would have been a lot more effort to downscale and remake hundreds of demon models than use pre-exisitng sprites.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It would have been a lot more effort to downscale and remake hundreds of demon models than use pre-exisitng sprites.

Those are really nice sprites, too. Maybe next time? From the looks of it, even Persona Q just has 3D models for Shadows. I've only really seen Personas as kind of a UI overlay when you cast a spell in the trailers.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Punch everything to death with Physical, and keep Pierce. Get Fog Breath and other buff/debuffs.

Did you mean Focus instead of Pierce? You get Focus early on and you don't get Pierce unless you complete the Labyrinth of Amala or something like that IIRC.

Fog Breath and War Cry are really useful, and they're worth keeping even if they consume a lot of MP when you first get them.

rafiki
Mar 23, 2010
I can never get into the first-person games. Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, SMTIV, I dropped them all, but I love Nocturne and the Personas.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lunge is also a really loving good ability in Nocturne despite its description saying "low damage" I kept it until I got Freikugel and with focus it hit like a truck the entire game for a meager HP cost compared to other physical attacks. Seems to have a high crit rate too unless I was just always really lucky.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You're never in first person in SMT4. The battles are kinda like that I guess?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

rafiki posted:

I can never get into the first-person games. Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, SMTIV, I dropped them all, but I love Nocturne and the Personas.

Devil Survivor isn't first-person either, but the best Persona game IS first person. You seem to have a lot of things mixed up.

rafiki
Mar 23, 2010
The battles are!

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!
Nothing super specific here, just got some rad sketches with my Amala Midnight fanbook today and thought I'd share 'em.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

How far into the game would I be if I said I am fighting the Red Rider and just trounced the 4 oni of Ikebukuro Tunnel?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Nomadic Scholar posted:

How far into the game would I be if I said I am fighting the Red Rider and just trounced the 4 oni of Ikebukuro Tunnel?

You're creeping on the halfway point.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

DoctorX posted:

Did you mean Focus instead of Pierce?

I think I might have, good catch.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Freak Futanari posted:

the best Persona game IS first person.

Please don't say this someone might believe you

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Yeah, Persona 1 is baaaaaaad. I am glad to never have to play that game ever again.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

So, considering that Strange Journey is the only non-Persona SMT game I've played, and I hated it because I thought demon negotiation was a bullshit unfun mechanic and the dungeons were terrible, is there much point to me trying Nocturne?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Suaimhneas posted:

So, considering that Strange Journey is the only non-Persona SMT game I've played, and I hated it because I thought demon negotiation was a bullshit unfun mechanic and the dungeons were terrible, is there much point to me trying Nocturne?

Yes, because Strange Journey is a piece of poo poo and Nocturne is excellent.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dungeons are better, at least.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

laplace posted:

Yeah, Persona 1 is baaaaaaad. I am glad to never have to play that game ever again.

Yeah, I love first person dungeon crawlers and even I thought Persona 1 sucked. The dungeons were poorly designed and battles took far too long and had too many arbitrary restrictions on what you can and couldn't attack, it was dumb. Has anyone here played If? How does that compare to SMT 1/2 and Persona 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah, I love first person dungeon crawlers and even I thought Persona 1 sucked. The dungeons were poorly designed and battles took far too long and had too many arbitrary restrictions on what you can and couldn't attack, it was dumb. Has anyone here played If? How does that compare to SMT 1/2 and Persona 1?

If is terrible. It's basically a reskinned SMT2 with no overworld, terrible dungeons, and a healthy injection of anime. It's interesting because you can easily see how the entire Persona series sprang from it, but it's hands down the worst mainline SMT IMO.