Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

People actually fail the PRT run? I thought they just failed the weight

Most of the people I've seen fail the run were females.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Christoff posted:

People actually fail the PRT run? I thought they just failed the weight

Tear your ACL on your left knee and a few other ligaments in the right knee and try to run the PRT a year later. Happens.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I walked my last PRT, because I was getting out in a month.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Question: why do CTs with easy day jobs keep killing themselves?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

Tear your ACL on your left knee and a few other ligaments in the right knee and try to run the PRT a year later. Happens.

MCLs in my case but pretty much.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Because they developed poor coping mechanisms in their youth and thought joining the Navy would give them a leg up while also serving as a tool to man up, their mistakes piling up as they realize the only thing that changed is indentured servitude to the system with them wearing a uniform, their lives a meaningless husk.

Or they just hate their lives. Who knows, everyone is different.

Daydreaming during the run to the point that you are just jogging long was always fun, another favorite was miscounting what lap you're on. I love hearing excuses.

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013

nacirema posted:

I just finished basic, and now on route to San Antonio for corp school. My god boot camp was boring

Oh poo poo, hey. I'm in class 090, I go to clinicals next week. Let me know if you have any questions.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
We had a guy fail sit ups. Literally flail around enough to give me plausible deniability and I will pass you. Sit there and whine and I can't do anything.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

We had a guy fail sit ups. Literally flail around enough to give me plausible deniability and I will pass you. Sit there and whine and I can't do anything.

navypft.txt :v:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Laranzu posted:

That is pretty pathetic. I will confess that I once failed a PRT...way back in my midshipmen days when I tried to run the PRT after being sick in bed for 3 straight days and I drat near passed out after about two laps. I will say we had to get a 10:30 or better to pass the run. Glad the sit and reach is gone, that poo poo was painful ;)

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

vulturesrow posted:

That is pretty pathetic. I will confess that I once failed a PRT...way back in my midshipmen days when I tried to run the PRT after being sick in bed for 3 straight days and I drat near passed out after about two laps. I will say we had to get a 10:30 or better to pass the run. Glad the sit and reach is gone, that poo poo was painful ;)

Did they force you to beat your steward?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Did they force you to beat your steward?

Naw, I just did that for fun.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

How the hell do you fail sit ups? I have a lovely back that pops and cracks as I do them and leaves me with numb arms or legs and I still get a Good or Excellent hahahahaha.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Sir Lucius posted:

It's all relative. There are OSSA's starting in the Navy on shore duty inventorying charts who think they have the worst job in the Navy.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Pandasmores posted:

How the hell do you fail sit ups? I have a lovely back that pops and cracks as I do them and leaves me with numb arms or legs and I still get a Good or Excellent hahahahaha.

I failed my sit ups after a hernia surgery a long while back. Pride and overconfidence put me four sit ups below a sat.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

I failed my sit ups after a hernia surgery a long while back. Pride and overconfidence put me four sit ups below a sat.

Ouch. At least you got the surgery. I have a friend that's a surgical technician and he refuses to get his fixed. Now whenever they have to tape him the ACFLs get the new guys to do it so when they see his six pack they think he just magically has a 7th one popping out. It's cool and weird.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I had one hernia fixed and honestly it's almost worse than the unfixed one on the other side.

They aren't like bulging out, just tears.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Please trigger warning any future hernia discussion.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
What's reserve commitment for SWOs? If I get out and do a 2 year graduate program I'd like to remain in the reserves for beer-err book money.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

What's reserve commitment for SWOs? If I get out and do a 2 year graduate program I'd like to remain in the reserves for beer-err book money.

This is what I'm doing as well. 3 year commitment with a 2 year no deployment deferral and a $10k signing bonus. Not a bad deal overall. Especially since you're still under contract to the government until your 8th year of commissioned service, even if you get out at 4 or 5.

Boon fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 18, 2014

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Boon posted:

This is what I'm doing as well. 3 year commitment with a 2 year no deployment deferral and a $10k signing bonus. Not a bad deal overall. Especially since you're still under contract to the government until your 8th year of commissioned service, even if you get out at 4 or 5.

That's great. What's the typical weekend drill like? Hang out at NOSC and do random admin for the unit?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

That's great. What's the typical weekend drill like? Hang out at NOSC and do random admin for the unit?

Depends on the unit. If your goal is to do as little as possible while making some extra cash and keeping ultra-cheap health insurance (Tricare Reserve is like $50 a month) look for a Korea Det. It involves hanging out at NOSC and doing GMT and crosswords, then flying out to Korea once a year for Ulchi-Freedom Guardian.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Depends on the unit. If your goal is to do as little as possible while making some extra cash and keeping ultra-cheap health insurance (Tricare Reserve is like $50 a month) look for a Korea Det. It involves hanging out at NOSC and doing GMT and crosswords, then flying out to Korea once a year for Ulchi-Freedom Guardian.

If there was a way to immortalize your advice I would. Let's get a fund together for a placard.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Howard Phillips posted:

Well I'm a CTT so we did Cellphone Tech, read some twitter, put my orders in, sat on my hands. Seriously though, my AT has changed for about 4 different locations in a week but finally got the drat thing set to Maryland for two weeks. The one thing that sucked was my NMCI account doesn't work at all?? So I had to drive to North Island twice a day. When I got to NI, I had to wait 2 hours for the Chief to get in to finish my travel card info, so I was just watching Game 1 of IND vs MIA with a couple of officers. So I gotta settle this NMCI poo poo before I go to my actual job one day this week. So far my unit is chill as gently caress, I just wish I drilled more often so I could actually get stuff done to advance in my rate, etc.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Leave in a week, I think I'll spend it couch surfing along the coast. Any cool places you guys would recommend for San Fran and stuff around there? I need to escape the Valley and pretend I live somewhere else for a while. Already have some museums, aquariums and poo poo thought out, but there's likely some cool place to eat or whatever I'm not aware of.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well since your are in the navy and going to SF I may as well recommend you going to the largest bathhouse(ruins) on the west coast. It's a really nice hike with a great view and diner right above it makes a decent omelet.

902 Point Lobos Ave
San Francisco, CA 94121
United States

I use to take out of towners there first thing in the morning for breakfast then a short drive down 1 to the zoo for the afternoon.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Howard Phillips posted:

It really depends on where you go and what they do/need. I'm am AWO and when I got out, I was at NSF Newport. We sat around, bsed and did gmts. Then the funeral coordinator for the area needed a body and I wanted extra cash so my drill became funerals 6 days a wekk. Easy gig and good money.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
You would think funeral coordinators would be the last people to need bodies.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

You would think funeral coordinators would be the last people to need bodies.

I actually started laughing so hard, my people think I'm crazy now.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Currently cutting weight, so that I can retest for the ASVAB, and should I score how I did before, sign a contract. Question for cutting weight, aside from eating right and working on cardio, I'm doing weight lifting as well. Would substituting a kettlebell workout be better than weight lifting?

Not sure if this is a good spot for this post, but whatever. It's Navy that I'm looking at joining, and maybe some of you have insight.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I just did the same thing but I didn't do any weights at all just push ups and sit ups. 25lbs in two months woot.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How many push ups and sit ups a day?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

At least five usually more sets a day of 30 push-ups and 50 sit ups. I also was/am running 5 times a week for 30 minutes for about 3.5 miles.
What mostly made me drop weight was changing my eating habits. I think I may have almost halved n caloric intake.
You should be doing more though if you are a young guy. I'm pushing 37.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Hooo Boy did those quotas suck. There go my dreams of converting as a first.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

I feel only slightly bad that AWO1 is 0% and my attitude at this point is gently caress you got mine.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

hahahaha 9%

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
70% :c00lbert:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
CTN1 went from 20% to 40%, which is impressive. But CTN2 going from 50% to 80%...god drat. It's almost as if retention in the rate is really bad or something.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Howard Phillips posted:

It is extremely dependent on the unit you're assigned to and your rank:
Our E-5 and below do a lot of facebooking then clean at the end of the day. Nothing else.

Im (E-6) the unit IT manager and training dude. I do a small amount of paperwork and install active client on laptops for people. My main job is posting on facebook and doing homework. I also go to meetings and contribute enough to not get fussed at. It's the easiest thing I've ever done in the military.

My chief (E-8) says he gets a phone call about the unit several times per week and has a weekly conference call. He's usually exhausted on drill weekends. He's super excited about the military.

My detachment CO (O-3) chills out in his office and goes to a bunch of meetings and spaces out. He always looks happy. He's a SWAT team member as his regular job which is really amusing to me.

My unit CO (O-4) has to do a ton of travel and told me once that he doesn't break even cash-wise and is just doing it for retirement. He did some economics job in Washington DC and had to travel to South Carolina or Ohio every month for drill plus Norfolk for meetings.

Other units seem to be less laid back and do uniform inspections and muster constantly throughout the day. A few of them go on rifle shoots or do small-boat maneuvers.

ps summer rules navy drools college 4 lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

This is probably boring and stupid to post, but a dude uploaded this local news clip of my ship from 2002. It's awesome to watch it and see how they bullshitted the media into thinking they actually filled out the messline nutrition placards or fancied the food up in any way. The food was garbage, and the PT program was an absolute joke. My mind has basically exploded with nostalgia watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E_rA5nl1KA

• Locked thread