Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Alikchi posted:

Looking for a good co-op PC game to play with my bf. Something decently long and story-based. The last game we really played together was Portal 2, I suggested Baldur's Gate but I think that'll be too clunky for him. Thoughts? 2 player campaign, deep story/interesting mechanics, no Diablos.

You could try Neverwinter Nights 2. It's less clunky than Baldur's Gate. But in the same vein. Also the expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, has one of the best storylines of any RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ToxicFrog posted:

I can attest that it also runs really well in PCSX2, so if you have no PS2 but a beefy gaming PC, get God Hand anyways.

Awesome. I'll check it out.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Alikchi posted:

Looking for a good co-op PC game to play with my bf. Something decently long and story-based. The last game we really played together was Portal 2, I suggested Baldur's Gate but I think that'll be too clunky for him. Thoughts? 2 player campaign, deep story/interesting mechanics, no Diablos.

Secret of Mana on a snes emulator might be a good choice.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm looking for an RPG with a big, varied world, preferably not of the jrpg variety, on PC. I'm looking for breadth more than depth, so I'm not too fussed about the latest AAA graphics or min-maxing a thousand stats. As long as the graphics and systems aren't really fighting me, it's probably okay. I don't really mind whether the variety comes from plot twists, graphics, character/worldbuilding stuff, or whatever else, I just want something that doesn't get too samey but has a reasonable amount of stuff to wander around and see/do/steal.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

MooCowlian posted:

I'm looking for an RPG with a big, varied world, preferably not of the jrpg variety, on PC. I'm looking for breadth more than depth, so I'm not too fussed about the latest AAA graphics or min-maxing a thousand stats. As long as the graphics and systems aren't really fighting me, it's probably okay. I don't really mind whether the variety comes from plot twists, graphics, character/worldbuilding stuff, or whatever else, I just want something that doesn't get too samey but has a reasonable amount of stuff to wander around and see/do/steal.

A friend of mine who hates RPGs (describes them as "trollish," not in the Internet Troll sense, but sort of lumping all fantasy creatures into a single disdainful expression) really liked just wandering around in Two Worlds, said there was a bunch of variety in locale, quests, and he was able enjoy the aspects he liked, and easily ignore all the stuff he didn't give a poo poo about.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

MooCowlian posted:

Divinity 2: Director's Cut is fantastic - lots of things to see, snappy dialogue and possibly the greatest plot twist in the history of plots. For sheer ballsiness, anyway. Enemies are pretty non-cliched as well. Watch some vids.

doctorfrog posted:

A friend of mine who hates RPGs (describes them as "trollish," not in the Internet Troll sense, but sort of lumping all fantasy creatures into a single disdainful expression) really liked just wandering around in Two Worlds, said there was a bunch of variety in locale, quests, and he was able enjoy the aspects he liked, and easily ignore all the stuff he didn't give a poo poo about.

I enjoyed wandering around in Two Worlds, despite the extreme jank, but your tolerance for the word "taint" and "forsooth", mis-identification of bandits, complaints about rain and extremely bad voice acting might be tested.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

MooCowlian posted:

Gothic 2's world was my absolute favorite to explore.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Can anyone recommend me a good Star Trek game?

While I'm here, is anything outside of X-Wing/Tie Fighter worth looking at?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Two Finger posted:

I enjoyed Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force. Disclaimer: I have no idea how it holds up today, and I've never watched Star Trek.

quote:

The graphics are quite dated these days, but Wing Commander 1 and 2 remain my favourite space combat sims, no contest. They strike a perfect balance between a fairly detailed underlying sim with fantastic damage modeling, and really straightforward and easy to use controls, something I haven't really seen in any other sim.

Unfortunately, the series goes quickly and dramatically downhill after 2.

For something more arcadey - dozens of enemies, hundreds of missiles, regenerating health, etc - check out Descent: Freespace and Freespace 2, and the modern open-source engine for them; they don't have quite the same "accessible sim" feel but are also very, very good (and have the best capship battles).

All of these games are available on GOG.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Divinity 2: Director's Cut is fantastic - lots of things to see, snappy dialogue and possibly the greatest plot twist in the history of plots. For sheer ballsiness, anyway. Enemies are pretty non-cliched as well. Watch some vids.

I enjoyed wandering around in Two Worlds, despite the extreme jank, but your tolerance for the word "taint" and "forsooth", mis-identification of bandits, complaints about rain and extremely bad voice acting might be tested.

Disagree on the first part - an amazing game, sure, but in terms of "greatest plot twist" there's one game that has it beat: Anachronox (Western rpg, Jrpg combat, great humor, visual style, writing. Combat's a bit iffy. Find the skip button for the long animation moves asap. But. It has, bar NONE. the best plot twist in any game ever. And they never made a sequel to resolve that plot. drat you industry).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

The graphics are quite dated these days, but Wing Commander 1 and 2 remain my favourite space combat sims, no contest. They strike a perfect balance between a fairly detailed underlying sim with fantastic damage modeling, and really straightforward and easy to use controls, something I haven't really seen in any other sim.

For something more arcadey - dozens of enemies, hundreds of missiles, regenerating health, etc - check out Descent: Freespace and Freespace 2, and the modern open-source engine for them; they don't have quite the same "accessible sim" feel but are also very, very good (and have the best capship battles).

All of these games are available on GOG.

Funny enough because I'm addicted to GOG's weekend sales I have all of these. I'll have to give them a crack.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Two Finger posted:

Funny enough because I'm addicted to GOG's weekend sales I have all of these. I'll have to give them a crack.

I think I need help. At the rate I'm going I'll end up buying GOG's entire library.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

See you there!

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Two Finger posted:

Star Trek Bridge Commander is pretty good, although you'd have to buy a used copy on Amazon or something since it's not on steam.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

I highly disagree. Part 3 is great as well. 4 is okay. 5/Prophecy is awful and it's no wonder it killed the series (and Origin Systems.)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Two Finger posted:

You want to get a few nerd friends together and play Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator.

Stadacona
Apr 21, 2014

Alikchi posted:

I'm usually on the hunt for that kind of game too.

Maybe try these:

Lara Croft and the guardian of light - 2 players campaign, with protagonists who have complementary roles.
Dead Space 3 - coop action/horror.
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - good coop and mechanics, story-based, but it falls into the 'diablos' category (but without the heavy grinding)

There's also Hunted: The Demon’s Forge, but i have not tried it yet (mixed reviews).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

You want to get a few nerd friends together and play Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator.

Hahahahahahahaha. Hahaha. gently caress.

This game isn't gonna work for me, and here's why:

Because I'm about to go back to sea, and work as part of a command and control team for a ship.

Cool suggestion though, it looks like a really interesting game, but.... well, it strikes a little close to home.

I might have a crack at Star Trek Bridge Commander though.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

MooCowlian posted:

I'm looking for an RPG with a big, varied world, preferably not of the jrpg variety, on PC. I'm looking for breadth more than depth,
This is pretty much Skyrim. It is, in fact, one of the most typical complaints about Skyrim (very broad, not particularly deep). The graphics are relatively newish still and might be a bit much, I don't know.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Two Finger posted:

Yes. Independence War. I played all the Wing Commanders and Descent: Freespaces and whatever back in the day, but I-War remained my favorite space sim. I got into it as more of a 'B5'-type game than a Star Trek game, but based on the things you've said you would probably enjoy it. Long story short, you pilot a corvette class ship - we're talking something like 100M long, not some dinky rear end fighter - which, being a large ship, has a variety of stations and subsystems for you to play around with. You have to navigate around? There's a station for that. Getting into a fight? There's a station for that that displays a 3d-wireframe projection of your ship, giving you the option to rotate your view all around, allowing better awareness and enabling better targeting from your turrets. Need to manage autorepair systems to get your FTL drive back online asap before those bad guys catch up and finish the job? Have I got good news for you...

It's also a fairly hard scifi-ey game - it uses Newtonian physics, tries to come up with reality-based explanations for both FTL and jump-point-like travel, etc... The graphics are also pretty loving good for a game that came out in like 1997 or 98.

Even better news: it's on GoG for $5.99!

The I-War 1 has a fairly linear (though quite long!) storyline, although different outcomes in certain missions can trigger some choices in what you do next, and several endings are possible. The expansion adds about half as many missions, this time on the other side of the conflict. The game is huge, and IIRC even solar system models were pretty accurate.

I-War 2 is more open-ended, and is sort of the Privateer to its predecessors Wing Commander. You basically have the reign of the place when you're not following through on jobs or missions, and you can earn money to upgrade your ship either through work...or piracy.

Both games are MASSIVE.

e: thinking about it, I think in I-War 2 you can also acquire different ships to keep and pilot.

e2: here, have an intro movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9AN1hpbw2Y

(excuse the maker's uh....over enthusiasm)

Habibi fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 20, 2014

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Besides Dwarf Fortress, what are the most complex, craziest fever dream love projects out there? I was playing DF the other day and though drat, this guy has been working on this for nearly ten years consistently. Like a full time job with no expectation of compensation.

Is there anything comparable?

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Besides Dwarf Fortress, what are the most complex, craziest fever dream love projects out there? I was playing DF the other day and though drat, this guy has been working on this for nearly ten years consistently. Like a full time job with no expectation of compensation.

As far as massive freeware projects done in their spare time go? Spacestation 13. Just in sheer terms of what you can do, there's very few games that come close.

My first experience with the game was being knocked out by my cousin. Force fed a bunch of pills he found in the medical lab. Then thrown inside of a locker, the lock of which he promptly welded shut. Eventually someone broke me out and I had a myriad of new medical problems from the pills. I believe I eventually died a few short minutes later from an epileptic seizure.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Maybe Elona, the ridiculous mess of sword and sorcery and cyberpunk and body horror and pokemon and farming simulator and many, many more things that it is. Want to stuff a tyrannosaurus into a pokeball, breed dozens more of them, genetically modify one with several extra limbs then ride him around while you cast lightning bolts at anything that offends you? Fund all of that dodging rocks thrown by nobles, unimpressed with your musical talent? This is the game for you. And don't forget to hit them with a bottle of beer first so the lightning hits harder.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 20, 2014

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Danger Mahoney posted:

Maybe this: http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/

It's nowhere near being complete in any meaningful sense though

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Bouchacha posted:

Maybe this: http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/

It's nowhere near being complete in any meaningful sense though

If he accomplishes half of what he sets out to do this will be my dream game.

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013

Danger Mahoney posted:

Aurora comes to mind. It is often described as 'DF in space' (though I, personally, find it much more complex than DF). We even have got an awesome LP by our very own bgreman.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

I highly disagree. Part 3 is great as well. 4 is okay. 5/Prophecy is awful and it's no wonder it killed the series (and Origin Systems.)

I never played 4 or 5 because 3 was such a disappointment, but I disagree vehemently.

Story: The dialogue is a step down from 2, but at least there's less of it, possibly due to the insane decision to use terrible live-acted FMVs for everything. FMVs that are triggered by systematically visiting every room on the ship between missions just in case there's something to see. Yeah, that's way better than the WC2 approach of just jumping to wherever the action is when you leave the barracks. This also meant I had a much harder time giving a poo poo about any of my wingmates, although perhaps that's for the best considering that they are basically all dead by the end of the game.

As for the actual plot, it's basically just one kick in the balls after another. Most of the likeable characters from 1 and 2 are already dead when the game starts, although somehow loving MANIAC survived -- and WC3 even gives you a bonus emergency backup Maniac in the form of Flash. Tolwyn is even more of a smug unlikeable douchebag than in WC2 and has now gone full Grand Moff Tarkin, developing not one but two planet-destroying superweapons and making it clear at every opportunity that you aren't actually working for the good guys anymore - and Paladin can't take his lips off Tolwyn's cock long enough to explain why he's so gung-ho about this. This just leaves Hobbes, who defects partway through the game and then you have to kill him, because there is no option to actually do the right thing, i.e. vomit in Tolwyn's face, shove him out the airlock, and steal a fighter and fly off into the sunset to found the Rebel Alliance with your catbro. It's somehow even worse if you include the cut content, which retcons things so that Hobbes was not in fact a loyal pilot who could not in good conscience assist in genocide but a Kilrathi sleeper agent the whole time.

In a nutshell: everyone you hated from the earlier games is still alive and in a position of power, everyone you liked is either already dead or you have to kill them yourself during the game proper, and you are working for the Galactic Empire.

The only parts of WC3's plot I actually liked were getting to relentlessly mock and deride Flash and Maniac and then pick them as my wingmates for the final missions to guarantee that they died.

As for the gameplay, it completely throws out WC1/2's small-scale dogfights with relatively low durability and ammo limits in favour for a much more arcadey feel with shitloads of enemies and huge missile loadouts. This is boring and tedious and also strongly reminds me of Freespace, which did it much, much better -- it feels more like a cut-rate Freespace 1 than like the first two Wing Commander games, despite its name. It is telling, I think, that I played all three games after playing Freespace 1 and 2, and felt like WC1 and 2 both held up even today, but WC3 did not.

Habibi posted:

Yes. Independence War.

I-War, on the other hand, owns owns owns and is even not completely torturous to get working on modern systems with the GOG release.

Unfortunately, it's also balls hard and I don't think I've ever even made it past the fourth mission.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

I-War, on the other hand, owns owns owns and is even not completely torturous to get working on modern systems with the GOG release.

Unfortunately, it's also balls hard and I don't think I've ever even made it past the fourth mission.

Aw, give it another shot. The original can be a little frustrating because of the 'save only at the base between missions' mechanic (the expansion introduces mid-mission save points), and there were two missions that almost made me give up due to their length and need to accomplish a bunch of tasks. The one I recall pretty explicitly despite a 16 year gap is where you have to navigate among rows of gun platforms, flitting from one to another to disable them. You had only a certain amount of time when between platforms before the other guns would target you, and you had to actually maneuver your dreadnought sized ship to align with the port on each one, which took some precision. But the payoff was so good. Some of those battles in the latter missions were unreal.

e: drat, now I want to play it again, and I have the original deluxe edition (and sequel) CDs, but my laptop has no CD drive. That GoG deal is looking pretty good...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If we're talking space flight sims, I think my favorite is still Tachyon: The Fringe. Good luck finding it! I loved pretty much everything about it. Plus it has a branching story so it's two games in one!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree as I found WC1 and 2 just as arcade like.

The corny fmvs are just a 90s thing. They were really popular at the time but the limited budget and heavy green screen led to some awful acting and effects.

WC had some of the best ones fyi. There are far worse examples.

I-War is indeed awesome though. Blows WV out of the water.

Also if you hate Tolwyn you might like four.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
Are there any decent realistic fighting games on the PC free of fireballs & lasers, something more like Tekken or the UFC games?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

e: nevermind. The VF2 on steam is the Genesis version :geno:

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 21, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Any roguelikes with a definite end, instead of endless dungeons and stuff? Preferably with a customizable character/characters. I've been playing a lot of Bionic Dues and FTL lately, and am jonesing for more. Bonus points (though not necessary) if they have mechs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Very few of the ones anyone actually plays are endless. Ironically the only mecha one I can think of off the top of my head might as well be since it's an open world game with a very easy to miss plot. But forget about that and play DoomRL, it's the best.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Tales of Maj'eyal takes place in fantasy RPG land so it doesn't have mechs (alchemists get a golem though!), and the classes are very customizable.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
If someone is still trying to find good space combat sims, check out an older indie game called 'Starshatter: The Gathering Storm'. I believe it was published by Matrix Games, and I remember it being surprisingly really good. It was also rather unique.

You see, the game's campaigns don't have any set missions. What happens when a campaign starts is that two forces of AI ships are generated in a huge starmap, with objectives and starting orders, and then the player picks a position in the fleet to be assigned to (either a fighter squadron or a capital ship). Then, missions are generated based on which unit you're commanding and what the task force needs you to do at that moment in time, with your success or failure influencing the overall outcome of the war. But at the same time, every other ship and fighter squadron in the fleet is running their missions, and so are the other guys, and the battlefield can get really chaotic really quickly - especially in some of the later campaigns, when the game switches from local conflicts and police actions to full-scale warfare. There's a plot, sort of, but it's highly dynamic, and it's entirely possible for you to outright lose the war if you play really badly or get unlucky.

Unfortunately, the game is more than ten years old and was rather obscure to begin with, so no one sells it anymore. Fortunately, the developers made the game open-source a couple years ago, and you can download it legally and completely for free courtesy of the Freespace 2 Open guys: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80935.0

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

That sounds intriguing...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Regarding Starshatter: Check out my lovely blog's writeup of it here: http://drfrog.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/starshatter/

Or just download the thing. It's good verging on pretty good, and some extra attention (plus functional co-op multiplayer) would have made it great.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Holy poo poo that sounds like exactly what I liked about Wing Commander's gameplay, downloading the poo poo out of that

CommissarMega posted:

Any roguelikes with a definite end, instead of endless dungeons and stuff? Preferably with a customizable character/characters. I've been playing a lot of Bionic Dues and FTL lately, and am jonesing for more. Bonus points (though not necessary) if they have mechs.

Most roguelikes have a definite end. I'm short on ones with mechs in them, though. Gearhead, maybe? Last I checked you basically required an extensive wiki guide just to get up and running, though.

For non-mech, Tales of Maj'Eyal and DoomRL are my current roguelikes of choice.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What game exists that I can play on PC that is most like Star Fox 64?