Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Almost all of our bridges used to be steel-deck, but they are getting replaced by concrete decks, there are only a few steel ones left on lower traffic roads.

For rant-based content, I went on a memorial ride this weekend with a bunch of harleys and gixxerbros, it was fuckin awful. I had people sharing the lane with me unexpectedly, passing me in the lane and then going wide and parking it as we went into corners causing me to have to pass them on the inside of the lane after they had just passed me, my earplugs didn't help with the sound of freedom and lives being saved and they all acted like they were going to die when there was some gravel or a pothole in the road. The itinerary was riding from bar to bar getting smashed.

They rode 120 miles, I rode 150 and most of it was not with them. The food was good at the end though and it was for a good cause...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Highway 4 between Fort Edward and Schuylerville in Upstate NY has some lovely, big sweeping turns, and ripping straightaways, the pavement's actually in good shape in a lot of parts, it's also pretty lightly trafficked, which means it's a great road for riding quickly on. Except for the one single lane steel-grate bridge behind the blind turn! Scared the poo poo out of me when I missed the signs for it and hit it at a spirited clip, as long as you don't have to stop, or turn, or speed up they're not that bad, still give me nightmares about what they'd do to my skin if I hit the deck at any significant speed though.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Elviscat posted:

Highway 4 between Fort Edward and Schuylerville in Upstate NY has some lovely, big sweeping turns, and ripping straightaways, the pavement's actually in good shape in a lot of parts, it's also pretty lightly trafficked, which means it's a great road for riding quickly on. Except for the one single lane steel-grate bridge behind the blind turn! Scared the poo poo out of me when I missed the signs for it and hit it at a spirited clip, as long as you don't have to stop, or turn, or speed up they're not that bad, still give me nightmares about what they'd do to my skin if I hit the deck at any significant speed though.

Welp, i've got the day off, so i know where i'm riding today. Gonna hit 50>29>4>197>32>50 and pray Home Depot in Wilton has a key blank to fit my bike, since i keep losing it.

Gingerbread House Music fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 19, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Home Depot is a long shot but if you hit up an actual locksmith they probably have something that will work.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Deeters posted:

gently caress steel grate deck bridges, and especially gently caress whoever put them in the middle of the interstate.

There's one over the Columbia River between Hood River and White Salmon that gives me the creepiest feeling. Might be the high winds, might be that I looked down. Don't look down.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ozmiander posted:

Welp, i've got the day off, so i know where i'm riding today. Gonna hit 50>29>4>197>32>50 and pray Home Depot in Wilton has a key blank to fit my bike, since i keep losing it.

I used to do that exact loop any time I wanted to go for a quick ride, Sacandaga's great riding up there too, Lake George is always disappointing because you end up behind a minivan going 10 under, or a group of Harley riders taking corners at like 5 MPH, There are a lot of good highways to the NE of it though.

You may have better luck with the key at the Ace on 50, or there's a locksmith in Saratoga who I've used a couple times and doesn't charge an arm and a leg (forget the name though)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

There's one over the Columbia River between Hood River and White Salmon that gives me the creepiest feeling. Might be the high winds, might be that I looked down. Don't look down.

There's a bunch of them all over Portland, many of them downtown and high traffic. Hawthorne bridge is 2 lanes each way and pretty busy, I don't even like going over it in a car, much less on a bike.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

nsaP posted:

Home Depot is a long shot but if you hit up an actual locksmith they probably have something that will work.

I've tried Home Depot and Lowes before, neither do motorcycle keys. Every locksmith I've been to has had blanks for motorcycles.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Elviscat posted:

I used to do that exact loop any time I wanted to go for a quick ride, Sacandaga's great riding up there too, Lake George is always disappointing because you end up behind a minivan going 10 under, or a group of Harley riders taking corners at like 5 MPH, There are a lot of good highways to the NE of it though.

You may have better luck with the key at the Ace on 50, or there's a locksmith in Saratoga who I've used a couple times and doesn't charge an arm and a leg (forget the name though)

Might have to actually do the locksmith. My GS1100E and GT380, no problem. My "new" GSX1100G? No loving blanks anywhere.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

apatite posted:

Almost all of our bridges used to be steel-deck, but they are getting replaced by concrete decks, there are only a few steel ones left on lower traffic roads.

For rant-based content, I went on a memorial ride this weekend with a bunch of harleys and gixxerbros, it was fuckin awful. I had people sharing the lane with me unexpectedly, passing me in the lane and then going wide and parking it as we went into corners causing me to have to pass them on the inside of the lane after they had just passed me, my earplugs didn't help with the sound of freedom and lives being saved and they all acted like they were going to die when there was some gravel or a pothole in the road. The itinerary was riding from bar to bar getting smashed.

They rode 120 miles, I rode 150 and most of it was not with them. The food was good at the end though and it was for a good cause...

Was it though?
Such a good cause that it deserves drinking and riding, and riding like a bunch of numbskulls?
I mean, yeah save the Arctic and all that, but don't kill polar bears to raise money.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ReelBigLizard posted:

When I read this my mind instantly wandered onto the inevitable "what happens to your body if you go down on that surface?".

Nothing out of the ordinary, because you're wearing tough, slippery leather and a good full-face helmet, right?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Rt 32 between 197 and 50 is preeeeetty nice too for anyone keeping track.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Linedance posted:

Was it though?
Such a good cause that it deserves drinking and riding, and riding like a bunch of numbskulls?
I mean, yeah save the Arctic and all that, but don't kill polar bears to raise money.

Can't argue with that. Was thinking next year I'd just go to the registration point to give the organizers a donation and then ride alone like normal..

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I got the wave from a bro riding a recent GSXR wearing the usual helmet/tank top/shorts/sneakers outfit. I don't think I've ever gotten waved at by one of these people before. Is it acceptable form to deny them the return?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You were... busy with the clutch.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That's kind of a shithead thing to do, though. I mean, you miss it on accident, you miss it, ok. But just straight up turning up your nose is kinda lovely.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Back when I was riding in Raleigh I had the Cycle-Bro Krew on their GSX-Rs and R6s come from the opposite direction on a road. I gave a wave, they all waved back and the guy in the rear did the old double-tap on the helmet to warn me of a cruiser who was hanging around the next hill.

Not that I was going extra-legal speeds or anything, but not having to worry about making a "donation" to the Wake County cops is a big plus in my book (I generally don't have too many issues with cops but gently caress THOSE GUYS). So that day, yes, I was glad I waved to bros. Don't ever not wave.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

That's kind of a shithead thing to do, though. I mean, you miss it on accident, you miss it, ok. But just straight up turning up your nose is kinda lovely.

clutchpuck posted:

You were... busy with the clutch.

I actually was -- I had just left a stoplight and was shifting from first to second in a turn. I nodded my helmet to him as he waved instead. But it got me thinking is all -- I've noticed a significant decrease in the number of waves I get now that I have something that looks modern instead of retro, and I'm wondering if there's a whole other level I didn't understand before. Everyone waves at vintage stuff, so getting ignored more frequently is new for me.

I wave at basically everything on two wheels with a motor as long as I'm not focused on a turn or something. Scooters seem really confused.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I got the a-town down from a dude on a gixxer the other day but I was too scared to let go of the handlebars and reciprocate so I just kind of half nodded as he passed lol

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
For me two wheels and a motor gets a wave. Bicyclists get waved at from time to time. Sypder drivers generally don't, though I'll return one if I'm able.

Re steel grates; the Tappan Zee bridge in New York didn't have grate plates, but it did have steel plates in the road that were bolted to the road surface with the bolts sticking up a few inches. Not fun to hit.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I wave at everyone and don't care who waves back cause, gently caress them, can't harsh my buzz. I wave at cars that are courteous or even just notice me, too. I like to thank the good ones instead of getting pissed at the lovely ones, hopefully they remember the nice motorcyclist and not just the dickholes.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I wave at everyone, even scooters. That's right, dominos guy. I'm waving at you

Also an actual wave at little kids.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Razzled posted:

I got the a-town down from a dude on a gixxer the other day but I was too scared to let go of the handlebars and reciprocate so I just kind of half nodded as he passed lol

I did this when I first started riding, took me a while to realize I was death-gripping the bars, so the bike would feel unstable and wobbly without a counter-deathgrip.

M42 posted:

I've noticed a lot of little kids get a kick out of this, especially if they wave first :3:

I always wave, within common sense, if I need the clutch for some reason, or i don't want to take my hands off the bars because cages are flying around in traffic merging without turn signals or looking. Harley guys are much, much less likely to reciprocate if I'm on my R1, although they're equally likely to if I'm on the Marauder or SV, guess the SV looks cruiserish from the front or something?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

M42 posted:

I love waving at little kids, especially if they point at me or wave first.

Scooters, I will usually give a big enthusiastic wave over my head like hiiiiiiiiiiii. I'm sure they love that. Yesterday I pulled up next to a cyclist (who was) in full lycra. I revved a bit and he looked over, and I nodded so he nodded back. Then I revved it a bit more, like "let's go!" He started laughing. But I smoked the poo poo out of him. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

MoraleHazard posted:

For me two wheels and a motor gets a wave. Bicyclists get waved at from time to time. Sypder drivers generally don't, though I'll return one if I'm able.

Same.

I think because the season's barely starting, people are having to re-remember to wave, because it's pretty uncommon right now. I know it took me a few passes. I did the coolguy at some cruiser rider with his wife on the back and they nearly drove off the road trying to see what I was pointing at.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Sagebrush posted:

I wave at basically everything on two wheels with a motor as long as I'm not focused on a turn or something. Scooters seem really confused.

Waves during turns are the best because you get to look like billy badass all nonchalant as you throw up the peace sign mid-lean.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Same.

I think because the season's barely starting, people are having to re-remember to wave, because it's pretty uncommon right now. I know it took me a few passes. I did the coolguy at some cruiser rider with his wife on the back and they nearly drove off the road trying to see what I was pointing at.

this is my favorite wave

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Ozmiander posted:

Rt 32 between 197 and 50 is preeeeetty nice too for anyone keeping track.

I rode through somewhere in that general area last summer, and I can't remember exactly where even looking at the map. I know I went between 22 and I think cut over to 30 in Vermont (eventually getting to 7A), and those were some beautiful roads.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

I love waving at little kids, especially if they point at me or wave first.

Scooters, I will usually give a big enthusiastic wave over my head like hiiiiiiiiiiii. I'm sure they love that. Yesterday I pulled up next to a cyclist (who was) in full lycra. I revved a bit and he looked over, and I nodded so he nodded back. Then I revved it a bit more, like "let's go!" He started laughing. But I smoked the poo poo out of him. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW

HORSEPOWER IS BETTER THAN CARDIO SHUTUP

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Cyclists always get a wave or a thumbs up as I go past as long as they're not riding three abreast. The drivers around here are poo poo at sharing the road so I hope they appreciate the few people who actually respect their road rights.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Son of a bitch I think I got popped by a speed camera tonight. Pulled away from an intersection, built some speed to get around a taxi, and then two brilliant world-ending flashes. If Chicago's going to start putting up speed cameras near me, driving a 100hp bike is going to get really old really fast.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Dude, it's simple, just stop speeding and you have nothing to worry ab....aaaahhahahhhahhhahhahahahahhahahah

Couldn't keep a straight face, sorry.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

:love: you nsaP

e. leg shatters into a million pieces

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There are no cameras in NZ that can detect, let alone successfully photograph a motorcycle. :madmax:

You sure it wasn't the cab getting pinged?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Yeah, they're everywhere here, but only to catch front plates on cars.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Ah, just learn their positions like everyone in cultured countries. :cool:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I got stuck behind some rear end today who decided he had to sit with his wheels 5 cm from the curb so I couldn't filter past him. I got frustrated and said gently caress it, moved to the left and rode in the bus lane past the entire line of cars.. Halfway past I see a police car in the opposite lane.

They didn't stop me and I'm pretty sure they don't care about a motorcycle using the bus lane to filter past as long as I'm blocking the buses, but I felt like an rear end anyway. We'll see if I get a ticket in the mail in the next couple of days.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Oh insurance companies you so funny.

Last year's premium - £279
Cheapest equivalent quote on Compare the Market - £254
Renewal quote (with "special return customer discount") - £391

Got them to knock £100 off and throw in free breakdown cover and protected NCB for a year to make up the difference with just a little bit of whining (mainly because that best quote was from Bennetts who have hosed me over twice in the past) but for fucks sake. I wonder how many people just blindly renew without even looking at the number or remembering what they paid last year.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh insurance companies you so funny.

Last year's premium - £279
Cheapest equivalent quote on Compare the Market - £254
Renewal quote (with "special return customer discount") - £391

Got them to knock £100 off and throw in free breakdown cover and protected NCB for a year to make up the difference with just a little bit of whining (mainly because that best quote was from Bennetts who have hosed me over twice in the past) but for fucks sake. I wonder how many people just blindly renew without even looking at the number or remembering what they paid last year.

I paid £400 last year with Churchill and had a renewal quote of £490 from them. Then I looked around and got it for £200 with Hastings Direct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Collateral Damage posted:

I got stuck behind some rear end today who decided he had to sit with his wheels 5 cm from the curb so I couldn't filter past him. I got frustrated and said gently caress it, moved to the left and rode in the bus lane past the entire line of cars.. Halfway past I see a police car in the opposite lane.

They didn't stop me and I'm pretty sure they don't care about a motorcycle using the bus lane to filter past as long as I'm blocking the buses, but I felt like an rear end anyway. We'll see if I get a ticket in the mail in the next couple of days.

As a general rule, police are required to stop you (and any law-breaking in progress) as quickly as possible after witnessing the first infraction. For instance, they can't sit behind you for miles and miles, recording you while you rack up a speeding ticket for every speed limit sign you pass.

If they didn't turn around and give you a ticket on the spot, you're not going to get a ticket.

YMMV of course, but that's how it is around here.