Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What an idiot, was already there when I spawned and kept shooting a bow forever until I didn't care anymore and killed him with Forbidden Sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

CJacobs posted:

So, I just started a new character...

...and they won't go through the fog gate in the forest of fallen giants. Like, they just won't go. I hit the button and the prompt goes away and the character just rubs their face on the fog like "yep, this sure is an impassable wall".

edit: I had to go back to the bonfire, sit at it, save and quit, and then go all the way back for it to work. :psyduck:

Normally that color of fog indicates that you can't pass due to an invasion. Perhaps someone was invading you?

edit: if that's it, it's definitely a bug though--you normally can't sit at a bonfire if you're being invaded either.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
You can always escape an invader into a boss door anyway, though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Argh the harpy NPC in the basilisk pit is the cruelest thing these games have ever pulled. I fall down there and open the door looking for a way out and the basilisks killed her before I even knew what had happened. Whyyyy :smith: Now I'm all bummed out.

:sigh: At least the Grave of Saints and Royal Rat Vanguard were fun.

Bronzie
Dec 13, 2006

CJacobs posted:

...and they won't go through the fog gate in the forest of fallen giants. Like, they just won't go. I hit the button and the prompt goes away and the character just rubs their face on the fog like "yep, this sure is an impassable wall".

edit: I had to go back to the bonfire, sit at it, save and quit, and then go all the way back for it to work. :psyduck:

I had the exact same issue right before at The Lost Sinner's fog gate. The prompt to walk through the fog was there but nothing happened when I tried to do so. Going back to the title screen and loading up again without going back to the bonfire solved it for me. I was a bit disappointed as I thought it was an invasion and I can count the number of NG invasions I've had on one hand.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
What the hell? Is SM 128k and SL 52 high for Skeleton Lords? I haven't had any luck seeing summon signs. I swear I've been here way later than this before.

Strange thing is if I lay my sign down I get summoned within a minute or two.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

CJacobs posted:

When this happens it's usually an invasion in progress that for whatever reason cancels, I've had it happen a few times, if you stand and watch at the Luna Belfry entrance you can see that fog pop up and go away a bunch usually with no notifications.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

superh posted:

Pretty sure that's the fog door in the room with the hollow knight that's playing possum, not the door to the boss.

edit: he was probably being invaded but the guy timed out before he could actually get in

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 19, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

superh posted:

That isn't the boss door, that's the midway point fog gate. You can always pass through those too. Like I said though, it gave me the prompt, my character just wasn't walking through the door.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You can't go through with certain animations (door opening, ladder climbing, etc.) if something's block the way (i.e. an enemy, another phantom). I'd guess that for w/e reason, the game considered something to be blocking your way, so it cancels the animation.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Satorr posted:

What the hell? Is SM 128k and SL 52 high for Skeleton Lords? I haven't had any luck seeing summon signs. I swear I've been here way later than this before.

Strange thing is if I lay my sign down I get summoned within a minute or two.

I've had this problem a lot lately too, in Drangleic Castle of all places (usually a hotbed of signs - I hardly ever see one, but if I put mine down, I get summoned np).

I have to assume that noobs always do Bastille first since it's the only obvious progress route from either Heide or FOFG, but which of the lord areas they do next and in what order is a bit of a mystery. I think I did Gutter first after Bastille (actually I didn't finish Bastille till later because I had trouble with LS and did not know Belfry Luna even existed). At any rate, your SM seems completely normal for that area.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I've never been invaded. In a way it has made me sad. Then I started co-oping with a buddy and he got invaded twice.

Nobody likes me. :smith:

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
Someone help me out with using spells because I feel like I'm doing it wrong. Started the game doing sword and board, going mostly in STR, VIT, and END. Decided that spells look fun so I respec, 50 INT, 30 FTH, and I got a couple of the Soul Arrow spells (regular, heavy, super ultra heavy, etc) and the lightning bolt spell. Trying to do Aldia's Keep and I find myself just using too many spells to take poo poo down to where I'm running out. The way I see people talk about this stuff made it seem like it was more powerful, or is that just hexes and miracles?

Based off my initial impressions, I'm thinking about switching to a STR/FTH build because throwing lightning spears looks badass but I still want to melee stuff.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I'm contemplating using adaptive v-sync (half refresh rate) in order to make parrying frames easier to use, as well as to restore the original intended durability of weapons. Anyone have any thoughts on this? The game visually looks shittier to me now (especially during character movement and/or camera movement), at 30 fps (instead of my original 60), but the parry frames (confirmed), possibly i-frames (unconfirmed), durability (confirmed), and guard break frames (unconfirmed) might make it worth it.

Edit: the game is much harder on the eyes like this. I don't know if I can take it.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 19, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ice Fist posted:

I've never been invaded. In a way it has made me sad. Then I started co-oping with a buddy and he got invaded twice.

Was he invaded by the same person both times? A lot of blood brothers will just stockpile a whole bunch of red eyes and then terrorize a zone for a while. I did that and would end up killing the same host multiple times, or kill them once and then see them again as a summon trying to get human form back (and then put a stop to that).

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

ComaPrison posted:

I'm contemplating using adaptive v-sync (half refresh rate) in order to make parrying frames easier to use, as well as to restore the original intended durability of weapons. Anyone have any thoughts on this? The game visually looks shittier to me now (especially during character movement and/or camera movement), at 30 fps (instead of my original 60), but the parry frames (confirmed), possibly i-frames (unconfirmed), durability (confirmed), and guard break frames (unconfirmed) might make it worth it.

Edit: the game is much harder on the eyes like this. I don't know if I can take it.

Where was it confirmed that parry frames and such are actually affected by FPS on the PC?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ice Fist posted:

The playerbase is so large, and cracked red eye orbs are so finite that it's very likely you will play the entire game without getting invaded. I've beaten the game four times and STILL have never been invaded.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Yeah I wish I would have been invaded at least once or twice in NG. It doesn't even happen often in NG+ but I got killed by a guy named White Boy so I guess that makes up for it.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Artificer posted:

Where was it confirmed that parry frames and such are actually affected by FPS on the PC?

I'm sorry, I didn't bookmark the link. It may have been on NeoGAF, Reddit, Fextralife, or somewhere else. The jist of it was that parries and invulnerability during roll are set to be active for a precise # of frames (for the rolls it depends on agi, not sure about parry though). The results make sense in that a higher frame rate reduces the # of milliseconds your parry frames/i-frames last for. The results also make sense in that durability was also (shortsightedly) programmed so that durability damage depends on the # of frames (rather than the number of milliseconds) the weapon spends inside a body/object. Hence, at a higher frame rate, the durability is destroyed more quickly. That is not unlike how it was in DS1, wherein frames were linked to jump distance/height. So on PC with the 60 fps mod, jumping was LOL short/low. I'm glad at least that jumping issue isn't one for DS2 on PC this time around.

This is why I'm contemplating just eating the 30 FPS with adaptive v-sync at half refresh rate. I tried it for a minute and it was so harsh on the eyes though, so I switched back to smooth v-sync. Anyone who says your eyes can't notice the difference between 60 FPS and 30 FPS is full of poo poo. It might be true for a relatively static image/an image with minimal movement (it doesn't bother my eyes when I'm not moving my character), but as soon as you're running, rolling, fighting, the visual difference is obvious to your eyes.

Adaptive v-sync set to half refresh rate also creates some weird flickering problems with various light sources and objects.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 19, 2014

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Chomp8645 posted:

Was he invaded by the same person both times? A lot of blood brothers will just stockpile a whole bunch of red eyes and then terrorize a zone for a while. I did that and would end up killing the same host multiple times, or kill them once and then see them again as a summon trying to get human form back (and then put a stop to that).

No. He got invaded by a guy in FotFG and died to a spell without ever seeing the phantom. Second time was in Heide's where we came across a half naked punching dude who dodgerolled off a cliff. The second one was hysterical.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I hope all that active frames based on frame rate stuff gets patched.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've had pretty frequent invasions in ng+ so your mileage may vary. Some areas people don't like to deal with though (like The Gutter) so you'll only get the people most determined to dick you over. If being invaded is important to you, Titchy Grenn sells a ring that increases your chance of invasion.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Satorr posted:

The worst is when you hit a corpse you think will take two hits, but only actually takes one and you're knowledgable enough about this bug that you glace at your durability meter on your weapon and see the enormous chunk come out of it.

:negative: My Halberd.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Punching afk phantoms/hosts always gets me. RIP my chime.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

There is nothing more infuriating than having to fight a guy with a monastery scimitar who also has one of those invisible weapon rings, or invisible weapon spell, whatever they're using.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Speaking of my halberd, I was really disappointed in the moveset for powerstanced dual halberds. It's just a slow, double overhead chop for both moves. I tried it for two minutes and the quickly went back to just one. The single halberd moveset owns though.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Satorr posted:

I'm somehow doubtful that they'll fix it. It'll cost them money and man hours. Should this be the case, then your only option is to play with a parry/i-frame/durability disadvantage (in PvE). It won't really affect PvP since almost everyone will be equally disadvantaged. I doubt many people's eyes will be able to handle the visual impact of frame throttling down to 30 fps. It seriously looks like poo poo.

In the broader view, i-frames, parry frames, possibly guard break frames, and durability are half as viable as they are on consoles. This shouldn't really be a big deal for guard breaks and i-frames as they're still plenty viable with the disadvantage. I rarely see people pull off parries in pvp on PC though without missing the frames and getting punished for it though. This probably means we won't see as many parries on PC PvP as on console PvP. This is sorta a shame, as it's always awesome seeing a sweet parry come through, especially in fight clubs/tournaments.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 19, 2014

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Is it actually for real confirmed that FPS affects i-frames and parry frames? You would think that dodging and parrying being literally twice as hard on the PC would be something people would have noticed right away even without any testing. Especially with regard to parries since PVP parrying in the PC version already feels way easier than it was in DS1.

Small and Blue fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 19, 2014

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Which armor do you guys think would be the best for cosplaying Tarkus? I miss the Black Iron Set.

Edit: drat, as a Bellbro, killed a guy one time, was summoned again against him and he ran all the way back to the fog wall and tried to pass it. I felt bad. :smith:

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 19, 2014

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Rolling iframes feel pretty lenient to me, I can't imagine dodging being even easier than it is now. Guess that could just be a testament to how sweet agility is though.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ice Fist posted:

Speaking of my halberd, I was really disappointed in the moveset for powerstanced dual halberds. It's just a slow, double overhead chop for both moves. I tried it for two minutes and the quickly went back to just one. The single halberd moveset owns though.

Were you the guy named TWO HALBERDS that I tried to help fight Velstadt with?

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Small and Blue posted:

Is it actually for real confirmed that FPS affects i-frames and parry frames? You would think that dodging and parrying being literally twice as hard on the PC would be something people would have noticed right away even without any testing. Especially with regard to parries since PVP parrying in the PC version already feels way easier than it was in DS1.

I'm looking for the others, but here's the one for durability.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2517i8/durability_bug_is_linked_to_framerate/

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I don't think its ever been shown to effect dodging or parrying. Having played both this and the console version quite a bit, I certainly can't tell a difference.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Tarezax posted:

Were you the guy named TWO HALBERDS that I tried to help fight Velstadt with?

No. As I said, I tried it for literally two seconds, noticed the moveset was really lackluster and immediately went back to just one.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAe442j4eB8

gotta go fast etc

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This will make speedruns awful to watch. Could also affect PVP, tho you could probably counter this with wide horizontal weapons if you see someone do it, assuming it even catches on.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Genocyber posted:

This will make speedruns awful to watch. Could also affect PVP, tho you could probably counter this with wide horizontal weapons if you see someone do it, assuming it even catches on.

How could this possibly not catch on.

Jessie Tanner
Jan 18, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Haha distortion is already trying to incorporate it into his runs. It's more entertaining to watch for now at least.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm at the undead hunstsman and level 40, I have 190k Soul Memory. Is the super loving bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Ahahahah