Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

quote:

Although there are no historical records that deal directly with the founding of Venice,[10] tradition and the available evidence have led several historians to agree that the original population of Venice consisted of refugees from Roman cities near Venice such as Padua, Aquileia, Treviso, Altino and Concordia (modern Portogruaro) and from the undefended countryside, who were fleeing successive waves of Germanic and Hun invasions.

Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Mustapukuinen mies - A Man in Black (I'm going include both titles. Finnish is useful for google searches, English is more suitable for casual chat, because there's no way any of you learns to spell the original title)

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

The Little King

Is there a running gag with the Little King trying to sneak away from his guards or something? The gag appears to be him disguising himself as himself so he can get away but I don't read it often enough to know why he'd want to get away.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

gently caress yes.

Side thought, is FOOB the only comic where the characters actually age and grow up? Dustin doesn't, Family Circus doesn't, etc.

So...that's the way that Heckbender story ends, really? gently caress, CAD had had better endings and storylines than that poo poo. Girl is abducted by monster, girl reads to monster (way too many loving strips of that), girl escapes monster, girl finds some of her boots that presumably the monster left behind after losing all his possessions. Okay.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

CaptainCaveman posted:

Is there a running gag with the Little King trying to sneak away from his guards or something? The gag appears to be him disguising himself as himself so he can get away but I don't read it often enough to know why he'd want to get away.

Pretty sure he's just wearing a fashionable little king mask

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Side thought, is FOOB the only comic where the characters actually age and grow up? Dustin doesn't, Family Circus doesn't, etc.

Funkyverse kind of does. Doonesbury definitely does.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jon is actually on his sixth Garfield. Poor things don't last long with that lifestyle.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

dismas posted:

Funkyverse kind of does. Doonesbury definitely does.

Gasoline Alley does but the writer has run into a problem that the original protagonist is now the oldest person alive and his wife and friends are long dead.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Aging and changing?
Bloom County's got that.

In spades.

Calvin And Hobbes tackles time in another way.

DOGG

Ripley's

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Oh, good. The coma from Bill's massive head wound has finally kicked in.
I know this thread has a long and proud history of hating Brooke McEldowney, but seriously the last few weeks of this loving comic have been just words on top of words with nothing loving happening but these two lying together almost making out while talking about codes and an old movie that probably 90% of people living today haven't seen, never will see, and don't even know the plot to. You are the worst, Brooke.

On the other hand, now thanks to Mandrake I want to see the Billy Zane "SLAM EVIL" Phantom movie.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Johnny Walker posted:

I know this thread has a long and proud history of hating Brooke McEldowney, but seriously the last few weeks of this loving comic have been just words on top of words with nothing loving happening but these two lying together almost making out while talking about codes and an old movie that probably 90% of people living today haven't seen, never will see, and don't even know the plot to. You are the worst, Brooke.

On the other hand, now thanks to Mandrake I want to see the Billy Zane "SLAM EVIL" Phantom movie.

That movie is poo poo, BTW. It's all about a conman screaming, starving, and abusing a woman on the way to meet her fiancé until she agrees to marry her.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What kind of recipe would call for that much baking powder. It would taste disgusting. :barf:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

CaptainCaveman posted:

I don't think it's ever been overtly stated, but there does seem to be an underlying theme of T Little King sneaking out or otherwise taking advantage of opportunities to live like "the little people" rather than like royalty.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A really, really big cake. Though that would probably need more than three eggs.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

Serious Cephalopod posted:

That movie is poo poo, BTW. It's all about a conman screaming, starving, and abusing a woman on the way to meet her fiancé until she agrees to marry her.

Wait, okay, I haven't been following 9CL at all (big shock) but Google tells me the movie is It Happened One Night.

That, uh, isn't an obscure movie at all. :psyduck: It's probably the second most famous Frank Capra movie after It's A Wonderful Life, and it's really not too far behind that in how well-known it is. It's also really loving good, to the point where I'm actually mad at Brooke now for making GBS threads all over it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Cowslips Warren posted:

In addition to the previously mentioned ones, Jump Start at least used to run in something like real time, but I don't know if it's changed. I've only seen it posted here once or twice though.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Wait, okay, I haven't been following 9CL at all (big shock) but Google tells me the movie is It Happened One Night.

That, uh, isn't an obscure movie at all. :psyduck: It's probably the second most famous Frank Capra movie after It's A Wonderful Life, and it's really not too far behind that in how well-known it is. It's also really loving good, to the point where I'm actually mad at Brooke now for making GBS threads all over it.

That's the movie. I misremembered his job (as he had been fired, not really), but that movie is still poo poo. That woman wasn't spoiled, and he kidnapped and advised her the whole time.

"No, dad, I am going to marry my fiancé. You can't keep me tied up on this boat!"

So spoiled.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

goatface posted:

A really, really big cake. Though that would probably need more than three eggs.

Yeah a huge batch of something. Which would, yes, require a lot more than three eggs. Probably closer to three dozen :v:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Alterian posted:

What kind of recipe would call for that much baking powder. It would taste disgusting. :barf:

Probably something along the lines of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Huh. Gilchrist can actually draw people pretty well.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

This caused me to Google Guy Gilchrist to see if that's what he actually looked like (it is), and thanks to that I now know he did/does the Muppets comic strip.
I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So, I'm only vaguely familiar with "It Happened One Night" because while I like me some films, it's been on the list of films to watch one of these days for a lot of days. It sounds like the plot is Girl is going to marry Guy, but Douche detains and terrorizes Girl until she gives in to Douche. Is this one of those things like with the song "Baby, It's Cold Outside,"(a song about feeding a woman alcohol and emotionally manipulating her to gently caress you) where it's a super popular old thing that upon further reflection is actually pretty terrible?

I think I ruined my mom's Christmas a few years ago when that song came on and I mentioned that I didn't like it. She wanted to know why, so I told her. She just kinda stared at me for a few seconds then said"oh. I never thought about it that way before. That's kinda sleazy."

E: It doesn't help that the two parts in the duet are labeled "wolf" and "mouse".

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 20, 2014

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (April 17th 2007)

For once, the date's actually relevant.

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam (March 15h 1983)

...What?

It's All Right Chief Dharma (October 12th 2009)

Yeah sorry I don't see the problem here lady.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 21, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Suffers from shrinkage.

The Creeps Has it all figured out.

Candor you know what gently caress this strip

Enjoy it, this is the last one I'm posting from this turkey pile. gently caress this poo poo.

Broom Hilda which is an infinite number of times better than candorville

That doesn't say much since zero times infinity is still zero.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Here.

gently caress.
You.
Darren.
Bell.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Kumaton posted:

This caused me to Google Guy Gilchrist to see if that's what he actually looked like (it is), and thanks to that I now know he did/does the Muppets comic strip.
I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.

I feel that Jim Henson is spinning in his grave, does that help?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hah, she's fat and her husband doesn't love her anymore. Hilarious! :roflolmao:

Cowslips Warren posted:

So...that's the way that Heckbender story ends, really? gently caress, CAD had had better endings and storylines than that poo poo. Girl is abducted by monster, girl reads to monster (way too many loving strips of that), girl escapes monster, girl finds some of her boots that presumably the monster left behind after losing all his possessions. Okay.

Christ, can't people on this site ever be satisfied with anything? Just because the story had a few bad parts doesn't mean it was the worst piece of poo poo ever put to paper.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Not sure why this is so small.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Well, this is different. Cue people lining up to complain about furries.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh, Brother

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Go and grab your copy of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 1. I'll wait.

Lost Side of Suburbia is exc.

I certainly hope it doesn't follow A Moore's "a sexual assault should be the climax of every volume" narrative structure.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Oh my god that Anansi is spectacular. Also Riki Tiki Tavi looks like a rodentine Heckbender.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma (October 12th 2009)

Yeah sorry I don't see the problem here lady.
I spent the first half of this wondering if his skills would be in numbchucks or bow hunting; and the second half wondering if seeing pores is a sexual thing.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

imgur is taking a poo poo, but here's a couple of comics anyway. More when it's finished.

Luann

No, really.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Cowslips Warren posted:

All three of Holbrook's comics. Also the characters in Retail age but none of them ever grew up sadly. Ditto with Luann.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 20, 2014

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

No, really.

drat, even superman hates this comic strip.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
The middle Geech is accidentally meta.

Wanamingo posted:

Christ, can't people on this site ever be satisfied with anything? Just because the story had a few bad parts doesn't mean it was the worst piece of poo poo ever put to paper.

You know how we all hate Gilchrist's habit of name-checking his favorite singers and pop songs? This felt like that, but "my favorite books" instead.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

No, really.
Duck lips isn't there to celebrate.
She's the stripper.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz