Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I always got the impression that Kalam was on the more human side of the power spectrum, albeit near the top, whereas Laseen is (Return spoilers) killing Avowed with her bare hands plus all the stuff the other Old Guard went through, which predated Kalam's recruitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Illuyankas posted:

I always got the impression that Kalam was on the more human side of the power spectrum, albeit near the top, whereas Laseen is (Return spoilers) killing Avowed with her bare hands plus all the stuff the other Old Guard went through, which predated Kalam's recruitment.

She was a mage, so in most situations she'd probably be more potent than Kalam - it would just be neutralized in a fight against him. As for that Avoewd - it sort of helped that, IIRC, he was already severely wounded and crippled, and when she disabled him further asked her to finish him. Meanwhile, Kalam single-handedly takes out an enkar'al. I don't know. I think in a hand-to-hand fight, Kalam'd be a slight favorite. If her Warren is in play, all bets are off.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I mean, Laseen flatout refused to be in the same room as him up until she got desperate.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
Then it was "Here have whatever you want, lets just be friends"

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
Been reading through the series for the first time.

Just finished Reaper's Gale.

I can't believe people actually think GRRM killing his characters has any meaning. I didn't give a poo poo about the red wedding. But God drat Reaper's Gale was grim. Toc and Trull both dying was so upsetting. Not to mention how incredibly dark Erikson's writing is at times. The scenes with Janath were particularly horrific. Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed the book (and the series up to it).

Erkison is an absolute master at writing. I am always impressed at everything he manages to do. I felt upset when Joyful Union was crushed (RIP), and it was 'just' a scorpion... Then you have things that are built up over several books, and the final pay off is spectacular (Icarium unleashing at the Throne for example).

Looking forward to the last 3 books, and an eventually re-read of the series.

Smellem Sexbad fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 20, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Smellem Sexbad posted:

I can't believe people actually think GRRM killing his characters has any meaning. I didn't give a poo poo about the red wedding. But God drat Reaper's Gale was grim. Toc and Trull both dying was so upsetting. Not to mention how incredibly dark Erikson's writing is at times. The scenes with Janath were particularly horrific. Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed the book (and the series up to it).

Erkison is an absolute master at writing. I am always impressed at everything he manages to do. I felt upset when Joyful Union was crushed (RIP), and it was 'just' a scorpion... Then you have things that are built up over several books, and the final pay off is spectacular (Icarium unleashing at the Throne for example).

I suggest a heavy duty diaper.

e: fyi you may want to fix your spoiler tags

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Smellem Sexbad posted:

Don't forget Beak :smith:

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

Safety Factor posted:

I'd forgot :cry:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Don't mention him :cry:

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Safety Factor posted:

Oh man he was one of my favorites :cry:

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
All aboard the train of tears :cry: :cry: :cry:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

TryAgainBragg posted:

All aboard the train of tears :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think you mean the :cry: Chain of Tears :cry:

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

Habibi posted:

I think you mean the :cry: Chain of Tears :cry:

That literally should be the title instead, that book made me feel uncomfortable/awkward things in public places (CALLING ALL JOKES!!)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hey guys, I recently got back into these, finally picking up Memories of Ice and now I'm 3/4 through House of Chains.

The OP isn't kidding when it mentions that the writing gets substantially better with every book. Book three almost feels like what the first book wanted to be, and it actually made me kinda like Ganoes Paran, whose inability to command and bitchy attitude actually seemed endearing this time around. I also felt like I had a better sense of what was happening and the gravity of the situation, so when the city was under siege, or Silverfox was loving over the T'lan Imass and then getting it turned around on her, or Itkovian was doing anything I could feel the weight of it. The one bit I didn't really feel was Toc the Younger's plotline. When he abandons his team of unstoppable badasses to join up with the Pannion's peasant army, I assumed it was to show how events were unfolding behind enemy lines, but after like half a chapter of that he immediately gets found out and tortured until the end of the book. Worse, he kills himself at the end and is immediately given a new body, completely undercutting the finality(?) of Whiskeyjack's death. Hey buddy, someone a lot more important than you could've used that body. Still, I like how it left things and am especially curious where they're going to go with bits like Quick Ben's promotion, whatever resurrection scenario happened to Tool, or if the retired Bridgeburners get back into it.

As for the fourth book, it is so good. Karsa's entire sequence is amazing, and if anything I wish it was longer, because I just want more time to explore the situation with both the Malazans and Felisin's crew. The only story that seems disconnected is Cutter and Apsalar's, probably because they're off loving about on the other side of the world. It almost feels like their plotline was tacked on so all the character groups stay cleanly divided between books. Like I said though, I still have a ways left to go (just got to the bit with Leoman's entourage getting into a scrape with Fiddler's squad) so I might be presuming too much.

Tell me it gets even better after this, and I'm not facing a GRRM-style early peak.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 20, 2014

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

You don't have much to worry about I think. Midnight Tides introduces another section of the world and the best characters in the series. I definitely think his writing got better and better as the story progressed. Bonehunters picks up where House of Chains ended.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Just started memories of ice, first two books have been up and down for me. Really liked Kruppe, crazy wooden puppets and the chain of dogs. Found the various Gods' motivations, the warrens, various races, and several characters with complicated identities really hard to follow. I also think that Eriksen loves a few of his characters a bit much (Kallam was noted as lacking finesse in the first book, overcoming that shortcoming with strength, in the next book he murders half the claw and mentioned as being a possible rival to their best, although whether this was deliberate flattery is unclear), but that's a common problem with high fantasy so whatever.

Going to keep with it though. Some of the characters are really good, the writing improves markedly, there is loads of detail and interesting crossover of sub plots, things tend to get explainted eventually and Tool is cool.

One query, how did Lasseen manage to ge the Wickan's support in the first place? Never worked out quite why they bothered.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 20, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Zalakwe posted:

Just started memories of ice, first two books have been up and down for me. Really liked Kruppe, crazy wooden puppets and the chain of dogs. Found the various Gods' motivations, the warrens, various races, and several characters with complicated identities really hard to follow. I also think that Eriksen loves a few of his characters a bit much (Kallam was noted as lacking finesse in the first book, overcoming that shortcoming with strength, in the next book he murders half the claw and mentioned as being a possible rival to their best, although whether this was deliberate flattery is unclear), but that's a common problem with high fantasy so whatever.

Going to keep with it though. Some of the characters are really good, the writing improves markedly, there is loads of detail and interesting crossover of sub plots, things tend to get explainted eventually and Tool is cool.

One query, how did Lasseen manage to ge the Wickan's support in the first place? Never worked out quite why they bothered.

She didn't. Kellanved did. She inherited them. A few minor things (and like major thing) get stingray retconned from the first book, as it preceded the others by a decade.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
First off, thanks for the thread, I wouldn't have known this existed otherwise. I'm partway through the first book, and it's definitely interesting and I'll probably finish the series either way. But does the writing get better? I think the most annoying thing he does is say "this character x seemed to be this way" "character x says something confirming that they are that way" "character y remarks to themselves 'character x is that way'". Followed by, "character x smiles" "character y says a thing" "character x's smile vanishes".

Although I like the complexity of the book, and the scale of the worldbuilding, his writing seems kind of amateur. The characterization especially, though interesting, gets a little hamhanded and hyperbolic (characters feel "profound connections" and small events "change them.... forever" all the drat time). Motivations seem unreasonable and relationships between the characters feel kind of hollow.

All that said, there's so much ambition and potential here that I can't help but keep reading. I'm a sucker for this kind of book.

Last off, please tell me this Paran guy dies off.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

foutre posted:

*chuckles*

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

foutre posted:

All that said, there's so much ambition and potential here that I can't help but keep reading. I'm a sucker for this kind of book.

Four posts above this one:

Wolfsheim posted:

The OP isn't kidding when it mentions that the writing gets substantially better with every book.

The first book was written a decade before the other ones. Book 2 is a pretty big step up and they get better from there. Keep on trucking, it's worth it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

foutre posted:

Although I like the complexity of the book, and the scale of the worldbuilding, his writing seems kind of amateur. The characterization especially, though interesting, gets a little hamhanded and hyperbolic (characters feel "profound connections" and small events "change them.... forever" all the drat time). Motivations seem unreasonable and relationships between the characters feel kind of hollow.

Yeah, it gets way better. And about three times better on a reread, too, where the stuff that seems crazy and/or convenient on a first read suddenly becomes totally logical.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

^^^ I'm a long ways from that, but I'll keep it in mind!

NmareBfly posted:

Four posts above this one.

The first book was written a decade before the other ones. Book 2 is a pretty big step up and they get better from there. Keep on trucking, it's worth it.

I'm really dumb. I'll look forward to book two then.

Oh no.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
I can assure you 100% that Paran is not present in Forge of Darkness.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Well that's not encouraging. I guess I'll learn to live with him.

I'm one day into reading this series and I just finished the first book. Thank god school's over -- I'm excited to see what the second one's like.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

foutre posted:

Well that's not encouraging. I guess I'll learn to live with him.

I'm one day into reading this series and I just finished the first book. Thank god school's over -- I'm excited to see what the second one's like.

A huge improvement over an already strong beginning.

Also: Paran gets a lot better.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Safety Factor posted:

He will always have a candle burning in my heart.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Just finished my re-read, drat the end of The Crippled God is en emotional rollercoaster.

Stormy dying to take down Sin, Gesler dying to protect Bent and Bent's loyalty to him, the marine and regulars last stand, Korlat's reunion with Whiskeyjack and the events preceding it (though that sometimes felt tacked on it still somehow elicited strong emotion from me), and finally Tavore's words and reaction to seeing Ganos again :smith:

At least Fiddler got to retire and relax

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Levitate posted:

Just finished my re-read, drat the end of The Crippled God is en emotional rollercoaster.

Stormy dying to take down Sin, Gesler dying to protect Bent and Bent's loyalty to him, the marine and regulars last stand, Korlat's reunion with Whiskeyjack and the events preceding it (though that sometimes felt tacked on it still somehow elicited strong emotion from me), and finally Tavore's words and reaction to seeing Ganos again :smith:

At least Fiddler got to retire and relax

Time for FoD!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
If you did have a rough time with the earlier books, I'd say Midnight Tides is pretty great due to the fact that it's a relatively self-contained story with a whole new cast of cool characters. The introductions to the settings and characters are better as well.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 21, 2014

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
And it has Bugg, ol' lovable Bugg :toot:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pff. Just go right into Deadhouse Gates. If you dislike that, quit the series because it is not for you.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Khizan posted:

Pff. Just go right into Deadhouse Gates. If you dislike that, quit the series because it is not for you.

I would never recommend skipping Gardens, and I still think it's a great book a little roughly written (still better than most fantasy writing). But yeah, if you don't like DHG, just quit. It's not the best book in the series, but it's still loving good and features some of the more memorable scenes and pieces and the introduction of some of the best characters.

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

amuayse posted:

If you did have a rough time with the earlier books, I'd say Midnight Tides is pretty great due to the fact that it's a relatively self-contained story with a whole new cast of cool characters. The introductions to the settings and characters are better as well.

I thinks it's kinda slow but I still like it more than house of chains. Tehol and Bugg definitely help!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
It's probably been mentioned before but if you like to read a book where lots of disparate events are mentioned without any connections explicitly mentioned binding them together this series is for you.
Pretty sure this has been mentioned before but I loved this little connection:

When the Tiste Edur shows up in one book drowned and apparently crushed as if forced deep underwater. Later on you see Bugg send that Tiste Edur to his home - the deep seas - after he kills an old man and nearly kills Tehol. I was extremely excited since I immediately got the connection. This might have to do with my reading speed and getting into the series rather late.

This series definitely has a niche, and it just happens to be perfect for me.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

No Pants posted:

It's not like no one has any clue. There's a short bit near the beginning where Tattersail and some of the Bridgeburners talk about how it was totally weird that the two new rulers of Shadow appeared right after the Emperor and Dancer died.

This is still spoilery stuff:

If I'm not mistaken, Kellanved and Dancer "disappeared" long before the apparent death In Malaz City. In fact Laseen decided to go for the throne because Kellanved had basically left it unattended. With their attention "elsewhere", Laseen had enough time to work with her Claw and seize the power.

So, most of everyone in the series really couldn't have any clue. What sets off (in Shadow, since you don't ever see it, if not in Esslemont companion book) the Malazan as a series is the unprecedented event of two human guys stepping in the pantheon. That's why GOTM opens with the day before that day. What you (don't) see is the starting point. Shadow/Light/Darkness being a theme. "Shadow" is about all those events that shape things, but that you don't see directly, the manipulations behind the scenes of the two new gods. "Light" is actually the meat of the books (because the act of writing is about selectively giving light to particulars that make a story), the story of those characters caught between gods like between anvil and hammer, and the Malazan Empire itself and its role in the shaping of history. And "Darkness" is the mysterious past, the current trilogy Erikson is writing.

Abalieno fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 22, 2014

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Habibi posted:

I would never recommend skipping Gardens, and I still think it's a great book a little roughly written (still better than most fantasy writing). But yeah, if you don't like DHG, just quit. It's not the best book in the series, but it's still loving good and features some of the more memorable scenes and pieces and the introduction of some of the best characters.

I recommend just hammering through Gardens without going in-depth. Later, after you've read more of the series, go back and read it again.

I also sometimes recommend going Gardens of the Moon(#1) -> Memories of Ice(#3) -> Deadhouse Gates(#2). That's the order I went in, after going "wtf, no Whiskeyjack and company, this is bullshit" when I started DHG. After MoI blew me the gently caress away("Kallor Eiderann Tes'thesula, one voice, has spoken three curses. Thus."), I was a lot more willing to go back and read about the new character cast in DHG.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
That part really was pretty fantastic

Kallor: "gently caress me? gently caress You!"

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Khizan posted:

I recommend just hammering through Gardens without going in-depth. Later, after you've read more of the series, go back and read it again.
Why?

quote:

I also sometimes recommend going Gardens of the Moon(#1) -> Memories of Ice(#3) -> Deadhouse Gates(#2). That's the order I went in, after going "wtf, no Whiskeyjack and company, this is bullshit" when I started DHG. After MoI blew me the gently caress away("Kallor Eiderann Tes'thesula, one voice, has spoken three curses. Thus."), I was a lot more willing to go back and read about the new character cast in DHG.
This I actually don't really get, because you get just as many (gently caress, if not more) new characters in MoI as in DHG (there are just some more old ones).

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Abalieno posted:

This is still spoilery stuff:

I guess that's generally right, but I was referring to Chapter 4, Scene 1, where it's pretty clear that some characters had a good idea about what was up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

TryAgainBragg posted:

Kallor: "gently caress me? gently caress You!"

It was ever thus.