Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Ah nuts, I just passed on a now-expired Groupon for Zombiu for 12 bucks cause I'm generally not that into the whole zombie thing. RE1 for Playstation was the last one I liked a whole lot.

Looks like there was a rush on 4 of the 5 remaining copies of that ebay Wonderful 101 in the last 30 minutes though, haha, was that you goons?

e: Ya the MK8 promo is a sweet deal, gonna get Zelda most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Also get Lego City Undercover as it's pretty dumb and great and NFS: MW on the WiiU if you don't have it on anything else.

Oh yeah and second for Monster Hunter and Zelda and Pikmin and poo poo.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 19, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Don't overlook NES Remix on the eShop! And register with Club Nintendo so you can get some free old games. With those purchases you should be able to get two of them right now (though you might want to wait to see what hits next month rather than blow them all at once).

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The only major problem with W101 is how loving long the stages can be. 006-2 is a loving marathon, and each section is its own unique chunk of crap--first another solo section complete with boss fight, a big gradius section, and then a gauntlet of bad guys and platforming challenges. Oh and another bullshit secret mission. I'm never going to finish Hard Mode at this rate...I think I clocked twelve deaths this stage.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I'm thinking of getting a Wii U for Mario Kart 8. Leaning toward purchasing the 8Gb model as it's significantly cheaper here (Australia) and I have spare external USB HDDs lying around gathering dust. Are there any compelling reasons not to go with this solution for game storage?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

jassa posted:

I'm thinking of getting a Wii U for Mario Kart 8. Leaning toward purchasing the 8Gb model as it's significantly cheaper here (Australia) and I have spare external USB HDDs lying around gathering dust. Are there any compelling reasons not to go with this solution for game storage?

The Deluxe Digital Promotion is running another seven months, so if you plan on buying stuff on the eShop, I'd take a second look at the 32Gb version.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

CaptainYesterday posted:

The Deluxe Digital Promotion is running another seven months, so if you plan on buying stuff on the eShop, I'd take a second look at the 32Gb version.

I considered that, but I can't see myself buying much from the eShop. Discs are generally a cheaper option here in Australia.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jassa posted:

I considered that, but I can't see myself buying much from the eShop. Discs are generally a cheaper option here in Australia.

Actually the AU eShop can turn out a pretty decent sale and discounts on occasion. That said, on average it is cheaper to buy the disc version from the UK for about $20+ cheaper than at JB or EB.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Alright, I got some credit through the premium thingamajig. What should I get, Scram Kitty or Stick it to the Man?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Stick it to the Man is a really loving good puzzle platformer. I highly recommend it.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Kirios posted:

Stick it to the Man is a really loving good puzzle platformer. I highly recommend it.

Just keep in Mind that Despite being wonderful Stick It to the Man is short, maybe three hours. Still lovely, but I know length is a factor for some.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Stick it to the Man is free on PS+ right now too just incase anyone has a PS3/Vita.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Eh, Stick it to the Man's 10 bucks. 3-4 hours of an excellent game for 10 dollars is fine by me.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Gray Matter posted:

Ah nuts, I just passed on a now-expired Groupon for Zombiu for 12 bucks cause I'm generally not that into the whole zombie thing. RE1 for Playstation was the last one I liked a whole lot.

Looks like there was a rush on 4 of the 5 remaining copies of that ebay Wonderful 101 in the last 30 minutes though, haha, was that you goons?

e: Ya the MK8 promo is a sweet deal, gonna get Zelda most likely.

I just started playing zombiu this weekend and I am fairly impressed by it. Other than shockingly lovely graphics, its a pretty great game. It can be difficult and frustrating at times and its a little... quirky... but its pretty fantastic in a lot of ways. I cant really think of a great comparison for it because it does have a little in common with a lot of games but if there is a game that its extremely similar to, I havent played it.

I am also deciding what to get with the MK8 promotion, cant decide between Pikman or Zelda. I have a feeling that I win either way.

Edit - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-18-zombiu-review

this is a good review of zombiu for people on the fence and does a good job of explaining the unique mechanics of the game.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 19, 2014

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I just started playing zombiu this weekend and I am fairly impressed by it. Other than shockingly lovely graphics, its a pretty great game. It can be difficult and frustrating at times and its a little... quirky... but its pretty fantastic in a lot of ways. I cant really think of a great comparison for it because it does have a little in common with a lot of games but if there is a game that its extremely similar to, I havent played it.

I am also deciding what to get with the MK8 promotion, cant decide between Pikman or Zelda. I have a feeling that I win either way.

Zombi U is amazing

I would go with Wind Waker. I never played it on Gamecube so it was a great purchase for me but apparently it fixes some problems with the Gamecube version and also having the tablet to manage items and map is swell

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

ZombiU is more Dark Souls than Dark Souls.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Speaking of Wind Waker HD, I'm going back and playing a NG+ run in Hero Mode, and it really feels like what Wind Waker should have been from the start. It's not completely ridiculous like A Link Between Worlds' 4x damage for enemies, but you still have to play it smart because unless you brought some Red Potion/Grandma's Soup, you can't recover health inside of dungeons and the heart pieces are scattered well enough that you can't get so much health that you're basically invincible by the Tower of the Gods. I actually have a reason to go out and dig up all the Treasure Charts because each heart container is another precious hit or two.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kirios posted:

ZombiU is more Dark Souls than Dark Souls.

Could have better melee combat.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Yeah the melee combat is pretty lacking. I think some of it is by design but it would be nice to be able to have options beyond "shove zombi" and 'whack zombi'.

\/\/\/ you dont have to make melee combat more powerful to make it more interesting.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 19, 2014

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I mean maybe a few more animations would be nice to make it feel less repetitive, but making melee more powerful would get rid of the danger of the zombies. I like that just 2 zombies equals a realistic threat in ZombiU. Do you pull out your pistol and use precious ammo, or attempt to juggle the two zombies with expertly timed melee strikes and risk getting hit? A stronger melee would completely kill that tension that the game strives on.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
It'd be cool if you could do like an initial strong strike with your melee weapon and then you get "tired" after that. I totally get why they gimped the melee but it's really tough to defend yourself outside that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'll have to go back and replay ZombiU someday because it owns but also because I died during the escape sequence at the end, so I got a bad ending. IIRC it just went straight to the credits, I didn't get another chance. I was super bummed out because I had only died like twice up to that point and I just made a dumb mistake right at the end.

I think ZombiU might still be the game that's used the gamepad in the most interesting ways even though it was a launch title

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
ZombiU is possibly the best zombie-related media anything I've been interested in for a long while now, since I'm both tired of the over saturation of the theme and how every zombie game is just a standard FPS/TPS but with zombies. Being in control of Average Person With Little/No Combat Experience And Survival Skills really does make it feel more "survival horror" than any other zombie-related thing. I also like how having a gun doesn't make you an unstoppable killing machine and the game doesn't feed you enough ammo to make it an instant survival condition. And the game makes death matter since you lose everything you have collected up to that point and if you want your next dude to be able to have all those goodies, you'd better drat well survive long enough to reach it.

Help Im Alive posted:

I think ZombiU might still be the game that's used the gamepad in the most interesting ways even though it was a launch title

I agree with this. Rummaging through your inventory doesn't pause the game so you have an incentive to actually find a safe spot rather than just telling the zombies to freeze in place while you figure out what you need at the moment.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The intro to Zombie U is completely bullshit too because with no means of defense, I couldn't get past a group of zombies who were stuck behind a box and wouldn't de-aggro no matter what, so I had no choice but to jump over and get chomped. I know it's a scripted death sequence but I definitely died long before that because attempting to go off-script mucked up everything.

I liked Not-Jason Statham breathlessly ordering me around over my radio tho.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Zombi U Owns

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm really glad Zombi U has a demo. The game gets tons of praise around here but I couldn't get into it.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Hey guys, I need to pickup some additional storage for my Wii-U. Will there be any performance differences playing off a USB HDD, as opposed to internal storage? Anything I need to look for in buying a drive + enclosure?

I'm tempted to use an SD card + USB adapter, but Googling seems to imply that's a bad idea performance-wise.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I found it frustrating and couldn't get deep into it but it's a very cool take on survival horror and doesn't feel like anything else. If you like horror games and want something unique it's a great buy at whatever discount bin prices you can get it at now.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Hey guys, I need to pickup some additional storage for my Wii-U. Will there be any performance differences playing off a USB HDD, as opposed to internal storage? Anything I need to look for in buying a drive + enclosure?

I'm tempted to use an SD card + USB adapter, but Googling seems to imply that's a bad idea performance-wise.

I play all of my games off an external HDD and I've never noticed any kind of performance hit. Some games have pretty long load times like Donkey Kong or Lego City Undercover but those have long load times no matter what media they're being loaded from

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

As expected there's a send off kind of thing going on on the big online Wii games (so Mario Kart and Brawl) so if you want to play those tonight there'll be plenty of people online.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Gray Matter posted:

Trying to collect the best titles from the seemingly limited library for my new Wii U and all this goon raving coupled with Youtube Let's Play vids have moved me to grab Wonderful 101 sight unseen. Ebay has a few new copies left for :20bux: shipped right now.

So I got:
NSMB U
NSL U
Wonderful 101
Ninja Gaiden 3
Mario Kart 8

and I'm considering DKC: Tropical Freeze, and Super Mario 3d World - although Mario Land 3DS felt a little flat to me. Any other greats I should be looking at?

Tropical Freeze is my favorite game on Wii U - if you're into sidescrolling platformers in the slightest you should definitely check it out. It looks great, the music is seriously fantastic (they got the original composer of the Donkey Kong Country games back) and the platforming gameplay is super fun and challenging. All the levels are really well designed and unique and exciting to play, and there are tons of hidden levels and extras. It's a great game!!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Zombi U is one of the only games I've played in the past several years that's really managed to make me feel stressed out or on the edge. It's very roguelike, with an iron man option, plus some underappreciated multiplayer and great gamepad use (it's your real-time access to the map, radar option, inventory, and scanner). The MP and melee combat could have been elaborated, but you can find it cheap.

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Your typical USB 2.0 connection is going to be transferring data so quickly that it's outpacing DVD read speed, with no appreciable spin up time delay (or none if you're using solid state tech) for your hard drive of choice. The only thing to watch out for is that your drive might take more power than a single slot provides, necessitating a "Y" cable to take power from two. SD cards aren't the way to go and aren't really made for this use case.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I got into Rayman Legends in a big way over the weekend. Played it some with my little brother-in-law. He's 9, and totally loved being Murpy.

Impressions thus far: gently caress Murphy levels. Unless you have another human being to be Murphy that poo poo is just terrible. The AI is so slooooooow and sooooooo DUMB. I hate it.

My favorite levels are the ones where you just run full tilt through the whole thing. It's nifty! The enemies and obstacles are placed just so, so you can just sprint through the whole thing without slowing down. It's intense, it's exciting, and it's super, super fun!

It suddenly occurred to me that that's how Sonic games should be! Levels specifically designed so that you can go full tilt the whole way! Why is it that a character whose whole deal is "go fast" doesn't operate that way? Why is Rayman a better Sonic game than Sonic games are?

Next Sonic game ought to be a 2-D sidescroller with a cartoony graphical style (like the old cartoons), and all "run as fast as you can" levels. Heck, you could even throw in some musical levels with music from the games. You're welcome, Sega.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

It suddenly occurred to me that that's how Sonic games should be! Levels specifically designed so that you can go full tilt the whole way! Why is it that a character whose whole deal is "go fast" doesn't operate that way? Why is Rayman a better Sonic game than Sonic games are?

A little off topic, but that's only ever true of the first stage in classic Sonic games. Sonic isn't really about going fast all the time. Speed is supposed to be your reward for knowledge of the game. This is why there are so many branching paths and why everyone complains about "hold right to win" level design from some of the weaker titles. It gets a little repetitive after a while, so Rayman Legends only uses a few. Sonic would have to be a game made up of them.

Admittedly, some of the Sonic games get a little overzealous with the platforming and forced scrolling sections, but Generations definitely hit the spot with both classic and modern Sonic being able to blaze through levels--if you're good.

Back to your daily scheduled Wii U talk.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Silver Falcon posted:

When Sega was hyping up Sonic 4 they said something in a blog post, and it hit the nail right on the head in regards to this:

"Speed is something that is not given; but rather earned through dedication. Speed is not found by simply pushing a boost button, but by building momentum. It is the reward for skill in the face of difficult challenges – this kind of speed is the most exhilarating, not only because it is fast, but because of the pure perfection such speed exemplifies. This is the truth of the original Sonic games – and this is the truth of Project Needlemouse."

then they went and made loving sonic 4 out of it BUT HEY, doesn't make that paragraph any less true

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm pretty sure that Sonic Colors and Generations were both designed very much this way. Heck, even Lost World had a touch of that in some of its levels - it just lacked the momentum a lot of the time.
(Also, it's Murfy.)

That said, I just took the time to finish up the story of Rayman Legends, myself. I must be one of the few people who doesn't love the musical levels (or even like them, for that matter). Consistent speed nulls out punch-jumping, the screen-scroll is just a bit too fast to feel entirely fair, and I find the music irritating (mind you, I enjoy just about every other track in the game). I thought that the treasure box chases from Rayman Origins handled the go-full-tilt-or-you'll-die mentality to much greater effect than the music levels as they were more difficult in a way that felt organic, they were faster in a way that felt more controlled, and music was less annoying to listen to. While the levels in Rayman Legends definitely generally take speed into account, there are plenty of areas where this isn't the case at all, which probably is the reason they exchanged Origins' Time Trials for the "Invasion" levels, instead. I appreciate that the Invasion levels are more-or-less new levels, but at the same time, I really liked how the Time Trials were longer and allowed you to put your experience exploring the level to use. That said, in terms of general level design, Legends one-ups Origins by having a little more focus on specific ideas, and I found the Murfy levels to be a nice change of pace, even with the stupid AI. It's a shame it's not nearly as lengthy as Origins, but it's still pretty darn good, either way.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I know that Zombi U is the golden child around these here parts but if you don't own Lego City Undercover then you're a dum-dum.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sonic is an odd series because they pretty much changed it up every game. The first one alternates between fast and slow levels. Sonic 2 had levels that were slow if you didn't know what you were doing but could be sped through once you got the layout. CD had huge levels that had multiple paths that you could get lost in but once again you could speed through if you knew your way. Sonic 3 and Knuckles kind of had it all ways where some of the levels were just fast, some were fast if you knew what you were doing and some you just had to take slowly. The Dreamcast Sonic games only really had speed when you were playing as Sonic/Shadow (and even then most of that was just holding forward) and the rest of the time it was made up of rather slow, very different gameplay styles. Sonic Heroes tried to make you play all those styles at once and was a mess for it. The Portable Sonic games were all about speed but had some cheapness mixed in where you really had to know the levels or you were hosed. The Wii ones were about speed but motion controls made them a pain to even control in the slightest. Sonic 06 just did everything wrong and was worst when it was speedy because you couldn't control anything. Unleashed brought back some of the precision but was still mostly holding one direction when you weren't playing a lovely GoW ripoff. Colors brought back the big levels and precision of the earlier games, while still making it so you could get through the levels fast as hell if you knew what you were doing and knew how to use the multiple power ups. Sonic 4 tried to be like classic Sonic but had the Bullshit of the portable ones combined with the slowness of the worst of the series. Generations is so far the most successful game in creating a game that is both fast and precise, though it loses some of the depth of the better entries in the series.

I guess the tl;dr is that Sonic has never really been about being one thing. All the games have taken different approaches to varying degrees of success and there's no form of something that is a pure Sonic game that fully captures all the ideas the series has tried.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

axleblaze posted:

The Dreamcast Sonic games only really had speed when you were playing as Sonic/Shadow (and even then most of that was just holding forward) and the rest of the time it was made up of rather slow, very different gameplay styles.
I wouldn't say so. Solo Tails in Adventure was all about being fast, and Solo Knuckles/Rouge in both games were pretty fast-moving, even though they had you searching for things. Even Amy's levels brought the player to a good speed if they knew what they were doing, although there were a couple moments where the player was forced to slow down.

axleblaze posted:

Sonic Heroes tried to make you play all those styles at once and was a mess for it.
This simply isn't true. The game's level design is something more akin to the classic multiple-pathways style mixed with a bit of the linearity from Adventure two, and all the formations move at a reasonable pace. The emphasis on combat is something that was barely present in any previous game, and the flying was also much different and considerably more unnatural compared to anything the series had tried previously. Sonic Heroes was definitely a mess, as each formation came with its own set of headaches, but the gameplay styles meshed fairly well with one another.

Ironically, you left out Lost World, despite us being in the Wii U thread. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ultigonio posted:

I wouldn't say so. Solo Tails in Adventure was all about being fast, and Solo Knuckles/Rouge in both games were pretty fast-moving, even though they had you searching for things. Even Amy's levels brought the player to a good speed if they knew what they were doing, although there were a couple moments where the player was forced to slow down.
This simply isn't true. The game's level design is something more akin to the classic multiple-pathways style mixed with a bit of the linearity from Adventure two, and all the formations move at a reasonable pace. The emphasis on combat is something that was barely present in any previous game, and the flying was also much different and considerably more unnatural compared to anything the series had tried previously.

Ironically, you left out Lost World, despite us being in the Wii U thread. :v:

All of that is fair enough. I was pretty much mainly oversimplifying alot. It still stands that the games really did all define what a Sonic games was differently.

And I haven't playing Lost Worlds yet :v: Waiting for that to get real cheap (at least $20, probably less) before I get that.

• Locked thread