Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

https://github.com/hylang/hy

forgot to say look at his django and flask stuff im sure you can get sql alchemy to work

Tavistock fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 19, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

i recently discovered lisp and it seems pee cool to mess around with but how do i make it talk to a mysql? there's like five zillion libraries with lovely documentation and they all don't work unless you have a specific lisp implementation pirated from a DEC backup disc in 1975 or whatever the gently caress. i'm just using whatever apt-get install clisp downloaded i ain't got time for that jibba jabba

this is the central issue with using common lisp in any problem space you can imagine. nobody ever finishes libraries. everything is half-baked and incomplete.

to get anything done you will eventually end up writing your own lib that covers your own use cases. then you can release your own half-baked and incompletely documented library

p.s. clisp is terrible, get yourself set up with sbcl + slime. yes you can apt-get these

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
tbh in 2014, if you want to experiment with lisp, i would point you towards clojure

upsides:
  • usable, finished, documented libraries exist

• clojure<=>java interop aint perfect, but it is scads better than CL's C ffi

• it's pretty fast

• not designed by committee

• you can package and distribute an application as a jar (instead of a 500 MB 'world' image w/ complete sbcl runtime)

• maven and lein are way friendlier than asdf

downsides:
  • it's very, very fp-focused. CL makes it easy to write OO or straight-imperative code. clojure does not.

• it's not standardized. clojure can change underneath you

• it's pretty pokey compared to sbcl (but still faster than e.g. clisp)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

downsides:
  • it's very, very fp-focused. CL makes it easy to write OO or straight-imperative code. clojure does not.

i think youve put this in the wrong category

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it was the major thing that drove me away from clojure

all my hobby projects and some of my work stuff is in scala now. it's a less-pleasant language in lots of ways, but, like CL, it nails the whole multi-paradigm thing.

when i want to write lovely OO bodges, i want to write lovely OO bodges. donn't get in my loving way

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tbh in 2014, if you want to experiment with lisp, i would point you towards clojure

upsides:
  • usable, finished, documented libraries exist

• clojure<=>java interop aint perfect, but it is scads better than CL's C ffi

• it's pretty fast

• not designed by committee

• you can package and distribute an application as a jar (instead of a 500 MB 'world' image w/ complete sbcl runtime)

• maven and lein are way friendlier than asdf

downsides:

• it's not standardized. clojure can change underneath you

• it's pretty pokey compared to sbcl (but still faster than e.g. clisp)

i read some of the lisp thread and they talked about clojure having really lovely error handling and documentation with the dev solution being "fix/write it yourself or dwi" but i will download that as well and give it a try

e: or scala. or haskell! i can download them aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 19, 2014

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
imho anyone who wants to experiment with lisp should try racket.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lisp and scala and clojure are all great if you want to massively complicate your development efforts for no reason

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Shaggar posted:

anything more complicated than basic is all great if you want to massively complicate your development efforts for no reason

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
use java or c#. they are designed to be used for professional development while lisp, scala, and clojure are not

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
the only reason you say that is because there's libraries that work

some could say that's the only good reason to use any language ever, except C

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah libraries, frameworks, and tools. you know, the things you need to make development work.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

god drat it they want to see a c# code sample but anything i have worth showing is in python or c++

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

god drat it they want to see a c# code sample but anything i have worth showing is in python or c++

shaggar was right

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Valeyard posted:

shaggar was right

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i knew it...

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
i'm going to stay in denial. i dont want to live in a world where my mastery of scheme and ocaml is literally worthless

(mlmp, also yes killing myself would work)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i got a job cause i know perl and welp i gotta do java poo poo now

i had asked for help earlier in the thread, dehumanized myself and faced to java, and got a raise

deal with it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Share Bear posted:

congrats on the promotion!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
imaging you had to actually support enterprise solutions written in perl :spooky:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
perl 4, that is

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
and half the lines turn out to be backticks that only work if the system shell is ksh88

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Share Bear posted:

i had asked for help earlier in the thread, dehumanized myself and faced to java, and got a raise

deal with it

Inline::Java is all you need :q:

code:
   use Inline Java => <<'END', AUTOSTUDY => 1 ;
      import java.util.* ;

class Pod_10 {
         public Pod_10(){
         }

public HashMap get_hm(){
            HashMap hm = new HashMap() ;
            return hm ;
         }
      }
   END

my $obj = new Pod_10() ;
   my $hm = $obj->get_hm() ;
   $hm->put("key", "value") ;
   my $val = $hm->get("key") ;
   print($val . "\n") ; # prints value

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
is ocaml more like scheme where its mostly functional (particularly culturally), or is it more of a true multiparadigm language like common lisp

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
it's very much multiparadigm. there's a lot of imperative code that relies on loops and mutable state and stuff. and it has a complete oo system bolted on, although that's not really used so much.

think common lisp with a real compiler, worse syntax, less fragmentation, and more type system wankery.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

suffix posted:

the right proportion of ingredients depends not just on serving size, but also on the composition of the flours, which can vary between countries

so it would be like this dumb poo poo where item data is json or sumthin but usage is tracked

code:
var f{display_name: "Flour", "units:"ounces", amount: 3};
var e{display_name: "Egg", units:"unit", amount:2 };

batter := mix(|1/2|flour+eggs);

return batter
would result in an error like "1/2 flour unused" or possible the much more user friendly "1.5 ounces of flour unused in recipe".

So you would write:

code:
var f{display_name: "flour", "units:"ounces", amount: 3, vegan?: True, vegetarian?: True};
var e{display_name: "egg", units:"unit", amount:2, vegan?: False, vegetarian?: True};

b0 := mix(|1/2|flour+|1/2|eggs){ display_name: "cake batter" };
b1 := mix(|1/2|flour+|1/2|eggs){ display_name: "cake batter" };

return (b0, b1)
which would yield

code:
Ingredients:
3C flour
2 eggs

Instructions:
Mix 2 eggs and 3 cups of flour together

Yields:
1 cake batter
1 cake batter // this looks p bad i dunno

Tags:
[Vegan], [Vegetarian]

i dunno tho

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
no the point is that what exactly is in "3 ounces of flour" is different depending on where in the world you are. so the quantity of flour you want to use in proportion to other ingredients can also vary.

also a recipe that uses eggs is not vegan

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Jabor posted:

no the point is that what exactly is in "3 ounces of flour" is different depending on where in the world you are. so the quantity of flour you want to use in proportion to other ingredients can also vary.

im not sure if youre confusing volumetric issues (a cup of flour is not always a cup of flour depending on how packed it is) or flour types (cake flour vs wheat flour vs 00 flour) but weight is used universally. assuming you have a recipe w/ nothing but weights you can also easily convert to baker percentages.

and shrughes i had meant to put a not in there.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Jabor posted:

well except who cares and who cares

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jabor posted:

no its not. 3 ounces is 3 ounces.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i think its a little bit more at the equator

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho u shouldn't measure flour in ounces that's weird as hell

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah you should measure it in grams

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

think common lisp with a real compiler, worse syntax, less fragmentation, and more type system wankery.

common lisp has real compilers and virtually no fragmentation. it's "common" because they made a standard out of combining everyone's lovely commercial implementations of lisp

CL has a lot of problems. compiler quality is not one of them. neither is portability. it's pretty much everything else that is the problem

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaggar posted:

altho u shouldn't measure flour in ounces that's weird as hell

measuring soft ingredients in volumes is the fundamental mistake of baking

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

~Coxy posted:

measuring soft ingredients in volumes is the fundamental mistake of baking

this is yet another american thing though. other places use grams and it's way better

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

do you know how much easier it is to measure out something like cream cheese in grams instead of cups? a lot.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MeramJert posted:

do you know how much easier it is to measure out something like cream cheese in grams instead of cups? a lot.

my cups are fuckin hugee loll, :greenangel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

MeramJert posted:

i wonder how much variation in weight there is with peanut butter, because that is the worst to measure by volume.

• Locked thread