Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adoreible
Aug 20, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

So I did something insane while me and the GF were on vacation. We were going to be on a train for like 9 hours to get to our destination, so, you know, knitting. After a week I have this:

I want something throw blanket-sized, so holy buckets will this take a while, but it's pretty mindless.

Oh my goodness the colors! Do you mind sharing the yarn and colorway? You may have just convinced my husband that that pattern is actually something to have in our home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Adoreible posted:

Oh my goodness the colors! Do you mind sharing the yarn and colorway? You may have just convinced my husband that that pattern is actually something to have in our home.

It's Red Heart's Unforgettable yarn in Dragonfly. It's lovely, but the thickness of the yarn tends to vary. I'm hoping the more tightly-wound bits will loosen up somewhat upon washing. I made my girlfriend some fingerless gloves with it and they look awesome, and when I saw this pattern I knew exactly what to do with the leftovers.

The amount of purple in it makes it look kinda feminine, but gently caress that, I love the cooler colours, gender stereotypes be damned!

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
This topic may have come up before, but I can't remember it or find it:

Anybody have any good/creative ways of storing, organizing, and/or transporting DPNs? (ones that are not currently in use).

I've been on a real sock knitting kick lately and I have DPNs everywhere (I don't magic loop etc., so only use DPNs for socks). I currently have random DPNs strewn all over the place. I have been storing them in the original little plastic baggies that they came in when I bought them, but I am pretty sure those won't hold up over time. Also, since I tend to take my projects and my spare needle sets on the road with me when I travel, kind of curious as to what to do about that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I keep my Clover DPNs in the original packets -- they hold up fine (~10 years). Just be sure to keep them closed so the sticky stuff doesn't collect lint.

If you want to take them all when you travel, you could get a needle roll. It's one of those things everyone on the planet whips off and sells on etsy at a huge markup. They work fine, though.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
You could also get a plastic pencil case. I had a needle roll, but I hated it. A little snap top pencil case is my favorite now.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

laertes22 posted:

This topic may have come up before, but I can't remember it or find it:

Anybody have any good/creative ways of storing, organizing, and/or transporting DPNs? (ones that are not currently in use).

I've been on a real sock knitting kick lately and I have DPNs everywhere (I don't magic loop etc., so only use DPNs for socks). I currently have random DPNs strewn all over the place. I have been storing them in the original little plastic baggies that they came in when I bought them, but I am pretty sure those won't hold up over time. Also, since I tend to take my projects and my spare needle sets on the road with me when I travel, kind of curious as to what to do about that.

I use those plastic tubes they sell to put your toothbrush when you're travelling. I bundle them with a rubber band and I can usually get two sets in one tube.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
I bought one of these from Amazon but if you're handy with a sewing machine, it'd probably be pretty easy to make one up yourself.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Went to the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival today. It wasn't outrageously busy. There were so many yarns there. I wanted all of them. The good part is that I didn't buy all of them and become poor. The bad part is that I really, really want to learn how to spin now.

Oh, and because this is the Internet:

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

a friendly penguin posted:

Went to the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival today. It wasn't outrageously busy. There were so many yarns there. I wanted all of them. The good part is that I didn't buy all of them and become poor. The bad part is that I really, really want to learn how to spin now.

Oh, and because this is the Internet:

Hah! I saw that! I really did not expect the Venn diagram of knitters and people who use Bitcoins to have any overlap at all.

I got some really sweet lace yarn and a spindle and fiber kit because I couldn't afford a proper spinning wheel. *sigh* One day..

Edit: I don't want to double-post, so I'll just throw this on to the end--

I started a shawl yesterday, and I got to this direction

quote:

3/3 – knit 3 stitches together and increase 3 stitches from them– knit stitches alternatively with yarn over

3/3 being the mark that shows up in the lace chart. Does anyone know how to do this? You would not believe how hard it is to search for the phrase "3/3" on Ravelry.

Pucklynn fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 5, 2014

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I'm guessing it's yo, k3tog, yo?? But I don't know how you can get another increase out of it.... Maybe check on a Ravelry thread?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Can you post that part of the pattern and a pic of that part of the shawl? It sounds like it might be an ESL issue? There could be something in the Rav comments for the pattern, or notes on other people's projects.

I'm assuming it's a centered double decrease . . . if so, I would do this:
Knit up to that point
Yarn over
Slip 2 stitches (at the same time) knitwise
Knit the next stitch
Yarn over(???)
Pass slipped stitches over
Yarn over
Keep knitting

But really I would want to look for more info as above! You can also break out some scrap yarn and just swatch this part, trying a few different things to see what looks right.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 6, 2014

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
I had to work something similar once. Are you, perhaps, working the Monica shawl?

What you do is knit 3 together and leave the stitches on the left needle, yarn over, then knit the same 3 stitches together dropping them off the left needle.

It is a rather interesting technique that allows a petal that is framed by yarn overs to be closed with a centered yarn over tip. It's the exact opposite of "yo, k3tog, yo".

K3tog, yo, k same 3 tog.

jota23 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 6, 2014

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
That's exactly it, thank you!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Pucklynn posted:

I got some really sweet lace yarn and a spindle and fiber kit because I couldn't afford a proper spinning wheel. *sigh* One day..

Not to knock wheels at all - but you can do a LOT on a spindle!

All but three of these were spun in the last year or so. And there's more in that time period too, but I knit it up:

And there's two pairs of handspun socks too, I just don't have good pictures of those.

I love my spindles. :)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I have to agree. It takes time, but you can get a lot of control. I mean I literally only have two top whorls in different weights and I can manage, but I have girlfriends who can do freaking cobweb on supported spindles. I mean, I hate that stuff personally, but it is impressive.

Also who's doing the Tour/and or Hoar de Fleece this year on Rav?

Pro-tip, last year Paradise Fibres gave a free month of their fiber tasting just for joining their team :)

Adoreible
Aug 20, 2012
Wasn't there a spinning thread here at some point? I have looked on multiple occasions and haven't been able to locate it. I'm really looking forward to starting spinning. My LYS has Brown Sheep roving $1/oz, on top of her other great selection. I'd love to see a spinning thread, seeing as I know next to nothing about it.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Adoreible posted:

Wasn't there a spinning thread here at some point? I have looked on multiple occasions and haven't been able to locate it. I'm really looking forward to starting spinning. My LYS has Brown Sheep roving $1/oz, on top of her other great selection. I'd love to see a spinning thread, seeing as I know next to nothing about it.

Yeah it's really sneaky hider.

Adoreible
Aug 20, 2012

Many thanks!

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

It's stuff like this that makes me love SA. :D

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Also who's doing the Tour/and or Hoar de Fleece this year on Rav?

Pro-tip, last year Paradise Fibres gave a free month of their fiber tasting just for joining their team :)

Wait poo poo seriously? ...not like I need more fiber, but you know.

I'm not going to Finland right in the middle of the Tour de Fleece this year, so I'll probably do it.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

MarsDragon posted:

Wait poo poo seriously? ...not like I need more fiber, but you know.

I'm not going to Finland right in the middle of the Tour de Fleece this year, so I'll probably do it.

Yep, hopefully they do it again, because I guess they're not doing prizes this year. Which I get, it's a lot of work, and some people are shits about things. I don't understand not giving the stores a chance to have a discount thread though, it's really weird. I mean they were buying banner ads like crazy anyway. And especially for the small sellers. I mean, how will I even know who's offering awesome discounts unless I spend an ungodly amount of time on rav watching banner ads...well more of an ungodly amount of time really.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

So about 2 weekends ago I tried to magic loop again and finally this time something clicked in my brain! Then my brain finally spoke to my hands and things fell into place. I'm pretty sure that I'm addicted now and all I want to do is make projects that require small circular knitting- I guess all my sock yarn will finally find its true destiny!

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I learned to knit as a continental knitter, but decided a few days ago to pick up English style. It's... different. To say the least. It's a lot slower than continental, and not just from a lack of practice, but it's starting to flow a little bit. I've made a few scarves, a few baby blankets, but never anything with shaping or in the round. I think next I am going to learn the Magic Loop (a friend gave me her old circulars) and make some headbands since I just chopped off all my hair. There are 102 pages of patterns on Ravelry, but just curious if there were any favorites that you folks have. I am coming back to knitting after a couple years of not, and I want to build up my skills again. I learn 'em fast and forget 'em even faster.

Edit: New Goal. My mom-in-law found her old spindle and roving to give to me. Now I need to spin it, ply it, and knit her something. It's May now, right? I can probably get that all done by her birthday in June. 2015.

Valdara fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 11, 2014

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Sweet! I just picked up some roving at a farm stand this weekend and want to learn how to spin too :)

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

So, I have a box full of crappy, cheap yarn (think Walmart acrylics and some hobby Lobby wools) that I bought when I first started knitting and didn't know anything about yarn and wanted to knit all the things. I have come to the realization that I am probably never going to use them, but they are taking up some much needed space in my apartment. I am loathe to throw it away, because that is just wasteful. What kind of options do I have as far as donating it or giving it away?

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
Do you have those clothing and toy donation bins anywhere near your house? They are often outside grocery stores or Walmarts. I dumped a bunch of yarn I didn't want anymore in there.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

laertes22 posted:

So, I have a box full of crappy, cheap yarn (think Walmart acrylics and some hobby Lobby wools) that I bought when I first started knitting and didn't know anything about yarn and wanted to knit all the things. I have come to the realization that I am probably never going to use them, but they are taking up some much needed space in my apartment. I am loathe to throw it away, because that is just wasteful. What kind of options do I have as far as donating it or giving it away?

Check Craigslist, Ravelry, LYS, hospital, etc and see if there are any charity knit groups that do hats/blankets for people.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Fooley posted:

Check Craigslist, Ravelry, LYS, hospital, etc and see if there are any charity knit groups that do hats/blankets for people.

That, as well, is an excellent idea that I had not thought of!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Find a daycare or elementary teacher -- they can use it for crafts with the kids.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
You could also donate it to Goodwill.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I got a box of crap yarn once. I posted on Ravelry that I had it and someone who knits for charity was willing to take it. I was just giving it away, so she was more than happy.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I've picked up knitting again after a months-long hiatus (thanks, depression! :thumbsup:) and it feels like I never put the needles down. My hands just knew what to do.

Feels good to be back.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I've picked up knitting again after a months-long hiatus (thanks, depression! :thumbsup:) and it feels like I never put the needles down. My hands just knew what to do.

Feels good to be back.

This is exactly where I'm at right now. Everyone thinks this is just coming out of loving nowhere that suddenly I'm into knitting and fiber. No, it's just been two years since I cared about things. Congrats on coming up for air, and happy knitting.

Edit: I got some more yarn yesterday in the same wool as the purple in a light gray heather, so now to learn color work.

Edit 2: Magic Loop down. A few more rounds and it's time to bring in the second color. I'm using this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/three-tams-inspired-fairisle-fingerless-mittens although I'll make them a bit shorter.

Valdara fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 18, 2014

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Valdara posted:

This is exactly where I'm at right now. Everyone thinks this is just coming out of loving nowhere that suddenly I'm into knitting and fiber. No, it's just been two years since I cared about things. Congrats on coming up for air, and happy knitting.

I think this is probably what happened to me, too. I started knitting a few months before I started on anti-depressants, about the time that I realised I had a serious problem that needed fixing. Hugs to you both, and yay for knitting :).

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Forgot to take a blocked photo of this beret before I sent it off to my aunt :( Pattern is http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/rustling-leaves-beret

Middle of a new pair of socks:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

jomiel posted:

Forgot to take a blocked photo of this beret before I sent it off to my aunt :( Pattern is http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/rustling-leaves-beret

Yarn please :allears:

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Hi knitters! I've been teaching myself to knit for a few months. I am a babby and dont know anything about yarn and I need a little bit of help. I recently chose some Lion Brand Homespun yarn. It's mostly acrylic but its very soft and i fell in love with the color (mixed berry). I'm not sure if I got a bad skein, or if this yarn is just awful. The thickness keeps changing from bulky to super skinny to super super puffy. It is kind of fuzzy which is fine, but the huge texture changes are making me nuts. Is this normal? I have several big name craft stores nearby but no LYS's.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Yeah, homespun is kinda a weird yarn. It's basically a strand of unspun fluff that is held together with a thin strand of something else wrapped around it. So if you're dragging the yarn through your finger, you're basically squishing all the fluff down into a ball and that's how you get that thick/thin thing going. It's one of those yarns that pretty much never looks like how you want it to, either, but it's cheap and soft and kinda unique.

I bought a skein of really nice yarn from a yarn store closing down, and now I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Everything is either not using enough of the skein or will use the whole thing but won't be cool enough (by my standards) :saddowns:

I can weave a scarf from it, but it will be about 55 inches long and only 10 inches wide. Or I can make a small shoulder shawl from it, but none of them are catching my eye right now.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

evelynevvie posted:

Hi knitters! I've been teaching myself to knit for a few months. I am a babby and dont know anything about yarn and I need a little bit of help. I recently chose some Lion Brand Homespun yarn. It's mostly acrylic but its very soft and i fell in love with the color (mixed berry). I'm not sure if I got a bad skein, or if this yarn is just awful. The thickness keeps changing from bulky to super skinny to super super puffy. It is kind of fuzzy which is fine, but the huge texture changes are making me nuts. Is this normal? I have several big name craft stores nearby but no LYS's.

I made a headband out of Homespun waaaay back when I first started knitting. I still use it to this day-- it's held up pretty well and is SOFT. (There are also a number of mistakes but they're hidden in the yarn's texture.)

Advice: Don't even try doing anything other than garter stitch. Knit loosely, but only just enough to make sure you're keeping the strands from bunching up. I think for my headband I went down a needle size from the recommendation on the skein but knit much looser to make up for the thick/thin parts.

Amykinz posted:

I bought a skein of really nice yarn from a yarn store closing down, and now I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Everything is either not using enough of the skein or will use the whole thing but won't be cool enough (by my standards) :saddowns:

I can weave a scarf from it, but it will be about 55 inches long and only 10 inches wide. Or I can make a small shoulder shawl from it, but none of them are catching my eye right now.

Multiple smaller things, like fingerless mitts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

evelynevvie posted:

Ha. I have some of this stuff that I bought probably 10 years ago and still can't figure out a use for. Probably a puffy hat, eventually. It's just an annoying yarn. Good luck!

Here's a noro "scarf" I knitted up that is too short to be a real scarf, and now I hate it.

Beaded hat that I don't hate.

Close up of a cowl. I like the way the fabric looks, just not on my neck?

Part of yet another cowl. This is the one my cat puked on over two years ago...finally got around to finishing it!

yeah, not going to knit any more cowls for a while. They look so good on other people, are quick, and don't use much yarn, but I never seem to actually like them. Oh well. They were fun!

Hopefully after a few more projects, I will produce something I actually want to wear. :P

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 20, 2014