Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Worldknit is hilarious and amazing and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Conspiracy looks like it's going to be a lot of fun and completely bonkers.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
hah, I had thought exploration was on the reserve list when I picked one up a bit ago. Oh well, for the best.

Excited for Conspiracy, not sure what I'm going to do in my cube for the conspiracies. The draft-matters creatures are going to get a shot I think, but they're at least "regular" card types

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is it bad that those reprints excite me more than the all-new cards? Love me some pre-Modern reprints even if this doesn't make them Modern-legal.

E: Especially plane-shifted reprints. Rout as people have mentioned, but that Decimate is Gruul mobs taking it to some Azorius :lol:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 20, 2014

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
I've really liked WotC's sets when they go "gently caress it, this isn't going to be standard legal" and pile on the crazy. I hope more stuff like this and Modern Masters comes out, because god drat.

If they don't put out a wallpaper of the Rout I'm going to be sad :eyepop:

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Am I reading Worldknit right? If you put all 42 of the cards you draft into your deck, all of your lands tap for any colour mana?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Edit:^^^^hahaha.

So am I understanding this right? If you play every card you drafted, you start with a Commander Zoned Chromatic Lantern?

C-Euro posted:

Is it bad that those reprints excite me more than the all-new cards? Love me some pre-Modern reprints even if this doesn't make them Modern-legal.

Nope, I'm the same way. I can't wait to see what other awesome things are coming.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Worldknit seems like it'd be really interesting to draft around if you get it as one of your first picks.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

vOv posted:

Worldknit seems like it'd be really interesting to draft around if you get it as one of your first picks.

It looks fantastic, but you'd end up with a clunky ~70ish card deck to turn it on, I think. Could be worth it, especially in something like a powered cube, though.

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008
So how long until we get a Booster Tutor reprint in conspiracy?

Considering Lore Seeker's effect, Booster Tutor doesn't look too outlandish:

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/conspiracy/22662-lore-seeker

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ungulateman posted:

It looks fantastic, but you'd end up with a clunky ~70ish card deck to turn it on, I think. Could be worth it, especially in something like a powered cube, though.

The problem is that in a powered cube, the owner would never put Worldknit in it unless they like one guy murdering everyone immediately.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Nagna Zul posted:

I'm like 99% sure they will never reprint silver-bordered cards because they want to preserve the rule that all silver-bordered cards are illegal in any sanctioned format.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

vOv posted:

I'm like 99% sure they will never reprint silver-bordered cards because they want to preserve the rule that all silver-bordered cards are illegal in any sanctioned format.

The Cheese Stands Alone was reprinted as Barren Glory.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

ungulateman posted:

If you draft 9 conspiracies, you're left with 36 cards and can play 24 land for a normal 60 card deck which isn't too bad. The real problem is you're going to end up playing a fair amount of last pick crap.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

First pick Worldknit, go on to draft 5 color goodstuff (and some badstuff). Sounds like the plan for me.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ungulateman posted:

The set is going to have Battle of Wits in it :unsmigghh:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nagna Zul posted:

Lore Seeker is the black border Booster Tutor, or as close they're going to get to one.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

C-Euro posted:

E: Especially plane-shifted reprints. Rout as people have mentioned, but that Decimate is Gruul mobs taking it to some Azorius :lol:

It's not bad at all. I mean, do you think Wizards would prefer it if you weren't excited for any of the cards at all? Okay that was a bit snarky, but the point is that they print cards for different audiences, even in their supplemental products. Also, I really hope I manage to pick up an Exploration :).

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Let's Read Journey Into Nyx: Final Chapter (15)

Sam Burley, "Land of Nyx" concept art

Elspeth awakes. The first result of her ordeal is evident: they're no longer in Nykthos, but Nyx proper, standing on a kind of transparent black stone through which they can see swirling clouds of stellar matter. It also looks like Thassa was mistaken about the moat of oblivion being troublesome to cross - or else lying - since it's neither so wide as it looked from Theros, nor dangerous. It's more Nyx, just scrubbed bare of the stars and light. On the other side is a huge ring of fire, within which stands a hill of grey rock.

Pete Mohrbacher, Erebos, God of the Dead (THS)

Erebos, moving to try to reclaim his title of biggest arsehole on Theros from Xenagos and Heliod, has permanently bound Elspeth's memories of her false happiness to her memories of Daxos. She can't recall Daxos so clearly now, she can never again be sure that her memories of the man she loved are quite real, and every time she tries to remember him, she will be teased with the peace she could have had. Such a pleasant person.

Jason Chan, Xenagos, God of Revels (BNG)

With Elspeth having warned Ajani of Xenagos' mind control, and let him prepare defences for them both, the two planeswalkers set off for the fiery hill. Elspeth doesn't need to use her favour from Erebos for a bridge across the Moat, but she is saving it up (though Ajani, wisely, advises her just to forget about it and be content with opening the way to Nyx).

Adam Paquette, Fated Conflagration (BNG)

The flames feed on and trap the star-creatures stripped from the night sky - a new source of power for Xenagos now that the revels on earth are done. Ajani starts dousing the flames and healing the constellations, while Elspeth uses Godsend to cut away their bonds.

Tyler Jacobson, Journey Into Nyx key art

And the hill stirs. It's Xenagos, grown to absurd proportions during his ascension and his feeding. None too happy about the planeswalkers stealing his power source either. Elspeth wants to go after him, but most of the creatures she can call upon will just be mindfucked, and Ajani needs her help putting out Xenagos' fire anyway.

Matt Stewart, Celestial Archon (THS)

So she calls to mind one of the stories she's been told while on Theros - the archon(te)s, the mysterious beings, always helmeted or hooded, who had fought even against the gods. Her Celestial Archon comes into being. It rides its steed up and down the fire at an enormous pace, and the wind generated from the wings is enough to beat the flames down and put them out. The constellations escape.

Lucas Graciano, Nyxborn Wolf (BNG)

The last to get out is an enormous wolf. Looking at a gash in its body, Elspeth can see an infinite forest within - this is actuall the Goddess of the Hunt. Nylea had gone to fight Xenagos as he ascended, and suffered being cast into the fire so that the creatures of the night sky were not alone there. Nylea entrusts Elspeth with the command of the Nyxborn, and goes to head off Heliod before he tries to kill Elspeth and fucks everything up.

Daniel Ljunggren, Godsend (JOU)

While the Nyxborn stave off a wave of conjured satyrs, Elspeth goes to fight the enormous Xenagos. Her archon has a go to start with, but its blade is ineffective and it gets crushed. Manages to buff up Elspeth as it dies though. Then she and Xenagos are duelling, she far smaller and more nimble, he far more massive and strong. Godsend will cut at him, but it doesn't seem to do the damage directly. Instead, the fabric of Nyx itself seems to be torn by each strike she lands on the God of Revels. In fact, it does enough damage that Nyx kind of cracks and falls away beneath him. Unfortunately, that lowers him closer to Elspeth and he can finally manage to hit her. Crushed into the ground, she can only watch as he comes to take Godsend and become the greatest god of the pantheon.

Jason Chan, Deicide (JOU)

Except then she sees the arrowhead from Nylea's bow, still buried in him from his mortal days. Elspeth throws Godsend at her target, and the arrowhead shatters within Xenagos' body, tearing him apart. Dead Xenagos.

Pete Mohrbacher, Erebos concept art

Then Elspeth makes her request of Erebos. She will trade her life for Daxos', returning him to the mortal world. Erebos hears her and is only slightly too dignified to rub his hands together and cackle at getting this new subject. Nylea sends a butterfly to carry her voice to Elspeth and is totally unconcerned about the power structure of the pantheon. She advises Elspeth to leg it back to the mortal world so that she can evade Heliod, returned to his place as lord of the gods, and the consequences of her deal with Erebos.

Jaime Jones, Heliod, God of the Sun (THS)

Too late, though. They nearly make it back to the Nyx-side version of Nykthos, but not quickly enough. Heliod appears, is triply pissed off at her for giving her life to Erebos, for trying to duck out of a deal with his brother (even if he hates him), and for being like Xenagos - something he doesn't understand and can't hope to control. He takes Godsend, stabs her with it, and then shatters it to remove another threat to his power. GG.

Heliod lets Ajani take her back to the mortal realm, so she can be delivered to Erebos as she expires. If she dies in Nyx, she will just disperse and his brother won't be able to claim his rightful prize. So that's wonderful.

At last, we are left with Nylea. She wanders the mortal realm, grieving, looking for the man she and Elspeth loved. Erebos had to abide by the terms of his bargain, had to return Daxos to life. And eventually, she finds him. In the Nessian Forest, by that same river he and Elspeth had had their little mock battle by, where he said that the godless Silence had been the happiest time in his life.

And she sees why she couldn't sense him before. Erebos did return him to life. But emphasis on the Return.

quote:

Daxos paced endlessly along the riverbank. He paused at a certain spot near the rushing stream where the violets were in full bloom. A gold mask covered his face as he searched mindlessly for the thing he loved the most.

As a gentle reminder ...

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Seb Mckinnon, Odunos River Trawler (BNG)

Speaking of heartbroken and ways to grieve (healthy or otherwise), Ajani asks Elspeth about Daxos. Her emotions briefly boil over into shouting, before she settles down and just tells him she doesn't want to talk about it any more. "Beneath them, spray soaked the Returned, and Elspeth despised their pitifulness. In life, they had visited Weeping Rock, sick with grief, at one time or another in their abbreviated lives. What a useless fate."

And that is all she wrote.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ShadeofBlue posted:

It's not bad at all. I mean, do you think Wizards would prefer it if you weren't excited for any of the cards at all? Okay that was a bit snarky, but the point is that they print cards for different audiences, even in their supplemental products. Also, I really hope I manage to pick up an Exploration :).

Well, not to be too snarky either, but whenever there's a product that massively underwhelms the 'reprints for value' crowd, there's typically a chorus of apologism along the lines of 'this product isn't for you!' So I don't know about "prefer," but there are definitely products where Wizards doesn't seem to concern themselves with getting that particular audience too excited.

Which, to be clear, makes reprints like these all the nicer when they do show up :unsmith:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Oh my God. Best set ever. Best card ever. Best draft-around card ever printed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Goddamn, all of the Gods are huge dicks.

I guess that sort of matches up with real Greek mythology though. The Gods' interactions with mortals is pretty much limited to loving with them, or loving them.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

JerryLee posted:

Well, not to be too snarky either, but whenever there's a product that massively underwhelms the 'reprints for value' crowd, there's typically a chorus of apologism along the lines of 'this product isn't for you!' So I don't know about "prefer," but there are definitely products where Wizards doesn't seem to concern themselves with getting that particular audience too excited.

Which, to be clear, makes reprints like these all the nicer when they do show up :unsmith:

Yah, I totally agree actually. It wasn't a very good post, but I basically meant to say that there is no reason to feel bad for being most excited about the reprints.

Conspiracy actually seems like an excellent product overall, and having reprints like that just makes it even better.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

The Cheese Stands Alone was reprinted as Barren Glory.

Right, I meant reprinted with the same name. They could reprint Booster Tutor and call it like Tireless Archivist or something.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I can guess how the story is going to end. Jace will planeswalk to Theros on accident, kill Heliod with his mind bullets and then find and save Elspeth in the underworld while randomly exploring. Elspeth throws herself at Jace in gratitude, but he refuses because he's simply too busy being a badass.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I'm amazed that exploration isn't on the reserve list, but that's pretty cool. I'm glad they're starting to reprint stuff like this and I'm hoping it's a sign of more to come.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Chris Rahn, Thassa's Ire (JOU)
Kiora comes back, with sea serpents and leviathans and krakens aplenty. Thassa is furious at the mage shoving the use of her children in her face. Then Kiora summons non-Theran creatures for good measure, which confuses Thassa. Not enough to stop, though. Thassa speeds the Planeswalkers' ship on its way, before calling up her own creatures to fight Thassa's. Even Arixmethes is in the fight, though I'm not sure on which side (probably Thassa's). Kiora just laughs and goes to battle a god.
Seriously, why the gently caress wasn't the novel about this? I could read about that battle for days. Who cares about Xenagos, Warrior Princess or whatever?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone else remember Ashiok? Because it seems Wizards forgot. :colbert:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

S/He'll be making a comeback as the Dimir guild-leader in Return to Return to Ravnica.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

First Bass posted:

Does anyone else remember Ashiok? Because it seems Wizards forgot. :colbert:

It had a bunch of random side-story plot with Phenax that made very little sense to me.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Ashiok helped Phenax destroy a minor polis by manipulating the leader into paranoia while he was trying to negotiate a treaty with the leonin. The, Ashiok asked Phenax for a boon: "I want to hide from the gods."

Apparently, an RG god existed briefly, started waking up, then was crushed again by Ephara. Ashiok wants to wake it up again.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Dungeon Ecology posted:

S/He'll be making a comeback as the Dimir guild-leader in Return to Return to Ravnica.

I think the appropriate pronoun(s) is/are Shkle and Shklim.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well that godsend summary actually sold me on it. I think I will get both parts.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It just seems like more of WOTC's obsession with flavor in this block; you know, Greek tragedy.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Greek tragedy at least has the protagonist's downfall be due to his or her own mistakes or flaws. I'm not really sure if that applies here.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

When first saw dethrone, I wondered why it was a keyword and not an ability word. It seems to make templating weirder, and now that i see that they're exploring other abilities with the same trigger, I'm even more confused.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Boxman posted:

When first saw dethrone, I wondered why it was a keyword and not an ability word. It seems to make templating weirder, and now that i see that they're exploring other abilities with the same trigger, I'm even more confused.

Because they want all creatures with Dethrone to get +1/+1 counters when attacking the player with the most life? If it wasn't a keyword they would have to add that giant piece of rules text to every card with dethrone.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Sleepy Owl posted:

Greek tragedy at least has the protagonist's downfall be due to his or her own mistakes or flaws. I'm not really sure if that applies here.

Assuming we're still talking about Elspeth here, the "flaw" would be her signing on to the ethos of "poo poo, let's purge the foreign influence that's a threat to order on Theros," without realizing that she is in fact a foreign influence that could be seen as a threat to order on Theros. Or at least, realizing it but not really caring in the face of the destruction being wrought by Xenagos, which would make her less dumb but not any less dead.

I don't know off the top of my head of any specific analogues in Greek tragedy, but generally there's precedent for the protagonist to have a tragic blind spot when it comes to realizing that other people might have it in for them, or just how severely other people might have it in for them. Agamemnon, Medea, etc.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Let's see some common/uncommon reprints!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

Let's see some common/uncommon reprints!
Yeah, this is what I'm most excited for, reprint-wise. Especially interested in stuff that's changed rarities, like with Goblin Warchief and Goblin King in Vintage Masters.

• Locked thread