Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Thanks, Picked up Volume 1.

Do the volumes add anything not in individual issues? It's $15 for Vol 2, but buying the 6 issues individually @ $1.99 would be $3 cheaper. Seems really stupid.

Do the collections have the letters pages? If not, you would actually get more with the individual issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

CharlestheHammer posted:

A lot of collections aren't actually that cost effective.

At least when it comes to digital.

Usually they at least match the general price, so it's like, 6 cents more to buy the collection than to buy the individual issues. In this cue, it's just wildly different and I don't see how they came up with it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

To make things even more confusing, on Amazon, the print version of Saga vol 2 is $11 and the Kindle version is only 6.99

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

To make things even more confusing, on Amazon, the print version of Saga vol 2 is $11 and the Kindle version is only 6.99

From everything I have seen, collections are kind of an afterthought when it comes to comixology.

In fact, they still don't have basic collections for series that have had them for years.

Like they have Age of Apocalypse volume 1 & 2, but that is it. Clone Saga has the first epic but that is it.

For whatever reason they are focusing more on bundles. Which seem tedious when you could just make an omnibus out of them.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 18, 2014

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
When it comes to collections, my rule of thumb is that if the price per issue averages below $1.20 or maybe 1.30, I can buy them on an impulse and not feel like kicking myself the day the separate issues go on sale for .99.

bobkatt013 posted:

Nope I did. They may suck now, but this run defined the x-men. I half expect there to be another X-men sale on Monday due to the movie coming out next week.

Definitely. Considering the actual DoFP storyline wasn't even part of the sale, which ended right before the arc starts, there's very probably at least another sale on the horizon. I'd love a God Loves, Man Kills sale.

I've mostly outgrown Claremont and his stuff hasn't aged as well as Kirby for example but I won't lie, I tend to get every issue of his X-Men run that goes on sale, if only because these are comics I grew up with and loved so much back then.

PelvicNerve fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 18, 2014

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Every Image title gets a sale so we can always wait. Thought so with DC but Starman hasn't been on sale for two years.

Ruzaii
Mar 1, 2009

Are any of the WW3/Aftermath/Black Adam tie-in minis to 52 worthwhile, or is the main series the only high point?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's been a while but I remember liking the Black Adam thing. It at least has great Doug Mahnke art.

E: This was good, but it's not in the sale for some reason.
https://www.comixology.com/Crime-Bible-The-Five-Lessons-of-Blood/comics-series/223

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 19, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Well I was wrong. The sale today is for ultimate x-men and ultimates relaunch. The only thing really worthwhile is the Hickman Ultimates

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Another Chew sale on comixology! Also, Batman '66.

Oh, it's actually a Chew/Revival sale. You can get every issue of each series on sale, and there's also a bundle with the first couple volumes of each for 20 bucks, saving a buck or two.

edit: vvv Dunno, man. It's not really my bag, but I felt like I might as well list it :shobon:

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 20, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Also, Batman '66.

Aren't/weren't those always $0.99?

ComicBookDB shows that they went up to $1.99 with #23. Was that retroactive?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Weird, so I bought Pride of Baghdad for Kindle, and it looks like the iPad app can zoom on panels now! It's done via double tapping, and then you can swipe from zoomed panel to zoomed panel. I'm not sure if this was always a feature and I just never had a comic that took advantage of it, or if it's new. Anyways, given how much cheaper Amazon Kindle books are than the comixology versions, I'm considering buying more crap there now. I'd like to read Ex Machina, and it's 9.99 for a volume there vs 12.99 on comixology.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Weird, so I bought Pride of Baghdad for Kindle, and it looks like the iPad app can zoom on panels now! It's done via double tapping, and then you can swipe from zoomed panel to zoomed panel. I'm not sure if this was always a feature and I just never had a comic that took advantage of it, or if it's new. Anyways, given how much cheaper Amazon Kindle books are than the comixology versions, I'm considering buying more crap there now. I'd like to read Ex Machina, and it's 9.99 for a volume there vs 12.99 on comixology.

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/amazon-buys-comixology/

Basically Amazon bought comixology so if they didn't have guided view before they sure do now.
Wonder how the price differences will work now though.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Uthor posted:

Aren't/weren't those always $0.99?

ComicBookDB shows that they went up to $1.99 with #23. Was that retroactive?

Naw they upped the price as soon as it was popular

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Cerepol posted:

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/amazon-buys-comixology/

Basically Amazon bought comixology so if they didn't have guided view before they sure do now.
Wonder how the price differences will work now though.

I got Walking Dead vol 20 for less than 2 dollars at release.

Not as good as the Comixology one but I'll read that when it's on sale.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Any recommendations on this X-Men Collections sale?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Get Dark Phoenix Saga if you haven't read it. The dialogue is a bit dated by today's standards, but the story and art are absolutely top-notch.

Messiah Complex and Second Coming are ok, but they're both just kinda long and have issues where there's just a bunch of fighting going on, and not much else. They probably read better in one sitting rather than serialised, though. Also, since they were both crossovers, the writing and art is a bit of a mixed bag.

I've not read Schism and have no real desire to, either.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

hup posted:

Naw they upped the price as soon as it was popular

But did they up all the prices going back to #1 or just the ones from that issue onward.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Uthor posted:

But did they up all the prices going back to #1 or just the ones from that issue onward.

It doesn't look like it-if you go to the page for issue #23 you can see the $1.99 price crossed out above the 99¢ sale price, but going to earlier issues that $1.99 is not there.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Rise of the Sith Omnibus is $2.99 today at DHD. No idea if it's good but it's 450 pages of Star Wars comics for 3 bux so why not

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/2075/

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Just got the comixology app and love it so far. I got George Perez's first Wonder Woman storyline, Bee and Puppy cat 1 and a couple Bravest Warriors. THe hard part is going to be not going nuts with it.

How often do they hold sales?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 20, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Rise of the Sith Omnibus is $2.99 today at DHD. No idea if it's good but it's 450 pages of Star Wars comics for 3 bux so why not

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/2075/

That's not one of the better ones (the art in Aurra's Song :psyduck:), though it does have the first Ki-Adi-Mundi arc which is a pretty rad little Jedi detective story.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

Just got the comixology app and love it so far. I got George Perez's first Wonder Woman storyline, Bee and Puppy cat 1 and a couple Bravest Warriors. THe hard part is going to be not going nuts with it.

How often do they hold sales?

Constantly there is a sale every week as well as marvel Mondays

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Hakkesshu posted:

That's not one of the better ones (the art in Aurra's Song :psyduck:), though it does have the first Ki-Adi-Mundi arc which is a pretty rad little Jedi detective story.
It's also got the original Darth Maul comic, which is basically just Maul fighting and killing a bunch of dudes, but has nice art and is pretty fun.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Was the IDW Doctor Who Humble Bundle posted? 85 comics for $15. You can get half of them for pay what you want (even $0) if you don't want to drop $15.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books?doctorwho_bundle&utm_source=Tumblr&utm_medium=Link&utm_campaign=Humble%20Doctor%20Who%20Comics%20Bundle

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Was Ms Marvel #2 and #3 suppose to include digital copies? I finally bought them but I can't find them in the book. Which is weird since the first issue came with one.

[edit] Called Marvel up and they said that shouldn't be the case and sending the codes out for them.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 21, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I haven't bought the books, but the covers I see online don't say anything about a digital copy on the banner across the bottom (the first issue has it). Also, the book is $2.99, and generally only the $4 books have digital codes.

It's actually weird to me that the first issue came with a code.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Uthor posted:

I haven't bought the books, but the covers I see online don't say anything about a digital copy on the banner across the bottom (the first issue has it). Also, the book is $2.99, and generally only the $4 books have digital codes.

It's actually weird to me that the first issue came with a code.

Yeah that was the problem, the first DID come with the code and costed the same as the other issues. Even more so weird is I bought Original Sin #1 (Variant Cover) and it didn't have the digital copy box on the bottom, but did include it anyway.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rirse posted:

Yeah that was the problem, the first DID come with the code and costed the same as the other issues. Even more so weird is I bought Original Sin #1 (Variant Cover) and it didn't have the digital copy box on the bottom, but did include it anyway.

Original Sin is a $4 book so it has digital codes. Ms. Marvel(other than the first issue I guess) is a $3 book and those don't generally have codes.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah the $3 books have never contained digital copy codes, but the first issues of all the All-New Marvel Now books (including the $3 ones) did for whatever reason. She-Hulk was the same. Granted, there are only a handful of $3 books left now.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I see there's a Batman 66 sale on Comixology, and I have the first issue free. What are some reccomended issues?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Solaris Knight posted:

I see there's a Batman 66 sale on Comixology, and I have the first issue free. What are some reccomended issues?

All

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Can you narrow that down a bit? :downs:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Solaris Knight posted:

The first 33 issues are really good.

It's really obvious which comics are part of an arc, so pick a villain you like and just buy those 2/3 issues. They're all really good.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, just get them all because Batman '66 owns, though if I absolutely had to pick favourites, the Jonathan Case Siren issue (was it #5 or #6?) is an absolute delirious joy, with the later Shame, Mad Hatter in the UK, and the recent Catwoman and Joker breaking out of Arkham arcs being other standouts.

Batman '66 is just :allears:

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Solaris Knight posted:

Also relevant here in case you missed the discussion earlier, the issues prior to #23 were only 99¢ regular price, so you may want to focus on the later issues during the sale. Of course, there is always the possibility that they'll raise those to $1.99 as well, but at least for now 99¢ is their every day price.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Looks like a sale on a bunch of recent X-Men books, which would be nice if it didn't cut off the sale until about last year, which even Marvel Unlimited has some of the full price books in their catalog.

Also there is a sale on all the TMNT books. Are the original books worth getting still. I never read them as a kid, as I only got to read the Archies book back then.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rirse posted:

Also there is a sale on all the TMNT books. Are the original books worth getting still. I never read them as a kid, as I only got to read the Archies book back then.

Man, all those titles are confusing. I'm assuming half of them are the same thing as the other half, but colored?

Anyway, I read about two volumes worth of the "B&W Classics" before. I'd say the first one is worth the $4 if only because it contains the origins of everything you love (Shredder, the ooze, mousers, April and Casey, even Krang). It's interesting how quickly all the classic elements are introduced and fleshed out and how they changed for the screen.

I vaguely remember the second volume becoming a sci-fi adventure in space and don't know where it goes from there. Can't say how good it is. Maybe read the first one and decide it you need more?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Complete American Flagg for :10bux:: worth a blind buy I'm assuming? I dig Black Kiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I made my way through only about a third of it before giving up, but I found that I can't stand Howard Chaykin, especially his art, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Also note that the $10 volume only contains 12 issues. The whole series went on for 50.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 23, 2014