Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I love being a white phantom against bell bros. When I played ps3 version I kept on getting wrecked because it was always 2 vs 1 my first time thru. And there would be no one to summon for help. And i swore revenge.

After I beat the game the first time, I went back and made a low sm minmax PvP build specifically to take out bell bros. It was still difficult because there were a ton of min max people on ps3 like me except they were bell bros.

Now on the PC, my min max build is regularly wrecking bell bros to help intruders. At 250k to 500k sm, no one suspects santiers spear and a rebel great shield. I'm forced to wear almost no armor but that doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Huh. Neat. Also just remembered something else I wanted to ask:

In the Forest of Fallen Giants there was a friendly NPC who warned me a gate would shut as I passed it. I passed it. The gate shut. I died. It's still shut. Is there a way to open it back up or another route into that area?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

Been picking away at this game and I'm... confused about some things. I was looking at the "recommended for newbies" tips in the OP and I don't follow #1 or #3 at all. I can't seem to find the places it's referring to.

Also how does durability work in this game? I see it going down and then sometimes it's back to full. Does it reset upon death?

A weapon's durability, displayed with the red bar under the weapon icon in the UI, goes down as the weapon hits things. Walls, corpses, and friendly (N)PCs cause it to drop faster. Durability is restored by resting at a bonfire, but if you run out of durability, the weapon breaks. A broken weapon does waaay less damage and can only be repaired by a blacksmith.

1: There's a tunnel in Majula, opposite side to the bonfire. It's next to the path up to the Victor's Stone, past the cat's house. The tunnel will take you to Heide's Tower of Flame, which leads to the Cathedral of Blue (to the left) and No Man's Warf (to the right). There's a really useful ring just outside the Cathedral entrance.
3: The well is in Majula, next to the locked mansion and the big pit.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

Been picking away at this game and I'm... confused about some things. I was looking at the "recommended for newbies" tips in the OP and I don't follow #1 or #3 at all. I can't seem to find the places it's referring to.

1. do you know the house where the cat is in Majula? to the right of that house is a stone tunnel. if you go through it you'll end up in Heide's Tower of Flame. it's the recommended area after you do all you can in the Forest of Fallen Giants.

3. to the left of the cat house, in front of the locked mansion, is a well. if you hit the rock in the front, an estus flask shard will come out, which you can give to the Emerald Herald (the level-up lady) to increase the amount of estus flasks you can carry.

edit: aw heck

Kaubocks posted:

In the Forest of Fallen Giants there was a friendly NPC who warned me a gate would shut as I passed it. I passed it. The gate shut. I died. It's still shut. Is there a way to open it back up or another route into that area?

yeah on the other side of that wall is a ladder you can climb where you can drop down there.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Just ran into the same guy a couple times, each time the guy was waiting in front of the belfry sol spawn with a Resonant Weapon'd rulers sword and would, without fail, kill me in one combo as soon as I finished spawning. How is that fun for anyone?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I just joined the Bellbros for the first time; here's an appropriate gif depicting my experience:

I thought being a Bellbro would make me safe from invasions but I guess no one touches the bell...no one.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

Also how does durability work in this game? I see it going down and then sometimes it's back to full. Does it reset upon death?

For #1: Go down the stairs in the tunnel off to the right in Majula, and pull the switch on the left side when you get down to the sewers. Then, in the Tower of Flame area, keep going until you get to a round arena with 3 giants. Head left until you get to a lone giant on a plateau. Kill him to reveal a switch, then pull the switch to get to the cathedral with the treasure chest just outside the entrance.

For #3: Just to the right of the locked mansion (near the massive hole in the ground) is a well. Smack the stone on it to reveal an item.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
You can hit the shield the ruin sents throw and bounce it back at them.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Vanderdeath posted:

I just joined the Bellbros for the first time; here's an appropriate gif depicting my experience:

I thought being a Bellbro would make me safe from invasions but I guess no one touches the bell...no one.

Are those knights beating up someone without a weapon?

:darksouls:

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

If you are down in the path facing the closed door there is a passage on your left. If you go through that passage you'll see a passage to your right and an iron turtle thing blocking a passage to your front-left. If you go through the passage to the right there'll be a ladder on the right wall that leads you up so you can drop down behind the door, or destroy the cart and complete the area in reverse.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I've been waiting the whole game to do my Velstadt cosplay and the sacred chime hammer doesn't ring when I use it. :negative:

edit: also I weigh too much and I'm fat

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
After five different characters and a few playthroughs I still find the FotG the hardest part in the game. There's something about the enemies in there that just kick my rear end. Amana? No prob. Iron keep, sentinels? No issues. but fotg? Oh poo poo, here we go.

Their attacks just seem to have really wonky hitboxes. The shield dudes are the worse.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Equipping Dark Fog and Soul Greatsword and/or Soul Vortex has made me go from winning ~10% of PvP encounters to something more like 60-70%. I feel sort of like I'm cheating when I use the latter abilities; how are they even supposed to dodge spells like that? I guess they could roll away rather than to the side, but that would require some pretty fast reflexes given how fast my cast speed is.

(I'm not good enough at this game to be anything other than a spellcaster)

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
I think Dark Souls 2 PVP has diminished my faith in the inherent goodness of humanity by a good bit.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Thanks for the help, everyone! Though uuuuuuuuuuuuh I think I'm still missing something about tip #1 because I went down to the Tower of Flame and saw it was a clusterfuck of big dudes so I made a break for it and picked up everything I saw along the way. I didn't come across any rings but I did find a friendly fellow by the name of Dragonrider and he kindly pushed my poo poo in. So now I'm out 10k souls! :buddy:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kaubocks posted:

Thanks for the help, everyone! Though uuuuuuuuuuuuh I think I'm still missing something about tip #1 because I went down to the Tower of Flame and saw it was a clusterfuck of big dudes so I made a break for it and picked up everything I saw along the way. I didn't come across any rings but I did find a friendly fellow by the name of Dragonrider and he kindly pushed my poo poo in. So now I'm out 10k souls! :buddy:

E: You went the wrong way to get the ring; turn left instead of right.

I also think that ring is really unimportant.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm trying to fight Velka now. Is it better to load up on poison resist or just physical defense? The poison takes me from full health to dead in about 8 seconds, assuming I take no damage from the boss.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Equipping Dark Fog and Soul Greatsword and/or Soul Vortex has made me go from winning ~10% of PvP encounters to something more like 60-70%. I feel sort of like I'm cheating when I use the latter abilities; how are they even supposed to dodge spells like that? I guess they could roll away rather than to the side, but that would require some pretty fast reflexes given how fast my cast speed is.

(I'm not good enough at this game to be anything other than a spellcaster)

Soul Greatsword is very easy to dodge, just roll through it. Dark Fog is a bit nastier; if you can it's good to get out of range and eat a moss, otherwise bullrush the caster and kill him quickly.

Doctor Zaius posted:

I think Dark Souls 2 PVP has diminished my faith in the inherent goodness of humanity by a good bit.

Try invading Heide's in ng+ at the highest SM tier to crush the rest of it*.

*I have no idea how it is on PC, but on PS3 the majority of invasions that aren't people immediately going through the boss fog are three man gank squads that spam spells and dual mundane avelyns at you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Doctor Zaius posted:

As a ratbro I tricked out the Doors of Pharros so they have to take the long tedious way around, but no one actually gets there between the two primal knights, the toxic rats, and me just waiting above their heads with the silvercat ring. At the grave of saints I have acid everywhere and I get in your face about it. It's boring to alt-tab out for fifteen to twenty minutes at a time, but satisfying when you hear the phantom summoned sound effect play. I've only lost once so far and it was a draw. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 20, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Can someone summarize the movement "cheat" that's being talked about? Can't look at the videos at the moment.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

E: You went the wrong way to get the ring; turn left instead of right.

I also think that ring is really unimportant.
Found where I made the wrong turn and then just ended up at a dead end with eight giant dudes hot on my tail so I boned out.

I'm going to trust you that the ring is a waste of time because I just wasted a bunch of mine.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

Found where I made the wrong turn and then just ended up at a dead end with eight giant dudes hot on my tail so I boned out.

I'm going to trust you that the ring is a waste of time because I just wasted a bunch of mine.

The ring makes dying repeatedly less punishing, but it's generally easy to just drop a small soapstone sign and become human again with the benefit of recharging stuff and getting souls.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Ariong posted:

I'm trying to fight Velka now. Is it better to load up on poison resist or just physical defense? The poison takes me from full health to dead in about 8 seconds, assuming I take no damage from the boss.

You typed a wrong name, but if you're fighting the only thing where poison matters that I can think of you should burn the windmill.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Anyone who thought there would be any honor in Dark Souls PvP outside of Bluebro and Dragon duels (maybe) is a fool. gently caress or be hosed. :colbert:

That said I would kill a man to remove the Token Of Fidelity requirement on Bluebro duels so I could get an on demand reprieve from the three man gank squads.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

it's not really a waste of time, you'll have to go through that area eventually. and don't worry about the 10k souls lost because soon enough that is going to be pocket change.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

PublicOpinion posted:

You typed a wrong name, but if you're fighting the only thing where poison matters that I can think of you should burn the windmill.

What ever the snake lady's name is. I was about to ask if that was a metaphor or something, but then I remembered all of the "try torch" messages and did it. Hopefully that helped, thanks.

Kaubocks posted:

You should try fighting one of them, like the one near the bonfire. They have less health than one might think.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Ring of Binding is still not worth putting any extra effort in to get.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Can someone summarize the movement "cheat" that's being talked about? Can't look at the videos at the moment.

Basically, put your binoculars in your right hand and use R1 to look through them. While holding R1, hit B to roll, then hit LT at ALMOST the same time. When the roll is just about to finish, let off of R1 and hold B. If you do it wrong, you'll parry (or strong attack if you've got a weapon in your left hand). If you do it right you should be able to run Sonic the hedgehog fast with no effort. I haven't been able to pull it off yet but that is supposedly the method.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I wonder

Could you escape from a Dragon duel by reaching the boss fog door? I mean in normal circumstances why would you want to, but it could be fun to honor bow to some Dragons and then binoculars haul rear end to the fog door. Wear ring of life protection, die to Smelter, do it again.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Actually you don't have to hold B after the roll. It's not too big a deal but not holding it down saves you stamina.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Basically, put your binoculars in your right hand and use R1 to look through them. While holding R1, hit B to roll, then hit LT at ALMOST the same time. When the roll is just about to finish, let off of R1 and hold B. If you do it wrong, you'll parry (or strong attack if you've got a weapon in your left hand). If you do it right you should be able to run Sonic the hedgehog fast with no effort. I haven't been able to pull it off yet but that is supposedly the method.

It's not the miracle maneuver everyone's hyping it up to be: it leaves you wide open for a few seconds since it's really obvious what you're doing, and more importantly, the amount of time it lasts for seems to be completely random. I tried it a few times and it would sometimes last for a good 5 seconds, and other times it would peter out after only a couple frames.

Of course, it's still broke as poo poo and I hope it gets patched immediately :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Well that seems like something they'll patch out pretty quickly :v: especially since they have bugfix and balance patches separately.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there no way to tell if mundane is going to make a weapon suck or not until after using the stone? I'm at 40 str/22 dex and looking at if I should make the santier's spear raw or mundane (though I probably won't put twinkling titanite into it because I need it for the BKGS).

Look at your lowest stat. Mundane gives you +6 damage rating per point in that stat up to 20, and +3 from there on. If 22 dex is your lowest stat, you'll get +126 damage from scaling. The flat damage should be visible when you select the infusion before committing to it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
If there's anyone dueling on the bridge named **** Goon...I'll have my revenge.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Okay this is like 10 pages back now because I looked away from this thread for a whole day but

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The Iron Keep was the capital stronghold of the kingdom of Alonne. The king tried to summon demons that eventually ruined him, just like the Old Monk in Tower of Latria in Demon Souls. The Old Monk wore the Xanthous crown, which is worn by a Pyromancer that invades you in Painted World in Dark Souls 1. Basically the implication is that the old monk robes posessed the king, who was a pyromancer, and that's why everything is on fire. Eventually he turned the place into 2-2 from DeS and the flamelurker moved in and took over his body, but now he was bigger. The miners in 2-1 eventually discovered the equipment from 2-2 while looking for Brighstones (Brightstone Cove Tseldora is also Crystal Caves from Demon Souls 1 (Crystal Caves from Demon Souls 1 were also 2-1 from Demon Souls ) ) and they saw a cool looking crest and Vendrick's dad was one of the miners, this is referenced to you by Shalquior the invincible cat if you talked to her in between every single thing you did like you obviously should have. Demon Souls took place before Dark Souls 1 which took place before Dark Souls 2, but anyway time is a circle. So Vendrick's dad had an heirloom of an ancient (future(who knows)) time and Vendrick went off on a journey. Queen Nashandra always told him "when we first met the first thing I noticed about you was your crest ;)" So he pretended he invented it. This is why Drangleic's crest is the same one as the king from Old Iron Keep, and this is why Old Iron Keep's elevator goes upwards - Remember how in 2-2 in Demon Souls you had to descend through an increasingly lava filled area to get there? Well turns out you didn't descend far enough because if you had kept going you would have reached Harvest Valley. BTW Harvest Valley is also part of Undead Burg because the sunbro statue is in it, and Belfry Luna is also part of Undead Burg because the gargoyles are in it, there is a deleted line of dialogue that explains how these places are actually really close to each other. When you take the boat from No Man's Wharf the boat turns out to be an NPC and0 speaks for the first and only time and says "Ah, I see we are passing Harvest Valley. We cannot waste our time here as we need to head to the Lost Bastille First.

I hope this explains everything I'm still piecing the lore together.

Can we just replace the entire OP with this, please

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I will now never refer to her as anything but her full title, Shalquoir the invincible cat.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I will now never refer to her as anything but her full title, Shalquoir the invincible cat.

Sweet Shalquoir the Invincible Cat. :colbert:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Look at your lowest stat. Mundane gives you +6 damage rating per point in that stat up to 20, and +3 from there on. If 22 dex is your lowest stat, you'll get +126 damage from scaling. The flat damage should be visible when you select the infusion before committing to it.

If you want to see the prospective total damage rating before infusing, equip the weapon, select "infuse weapon" from McDuff's menu, switch to the 3rd stat screen, and then choose the weapon to infuse. The rating shown for the slot that weapon is in should reflect the total result (including scaling) for the infusion currently highlighted, although it doesn't show you the split (if any).

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Are those knights beating up someone without a weapon?

:darksouls:

Hey, just because you're doing a shields only run doesn't mean you get mercy when you're trying to go through the belltower :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I just summoned a guy who did what seemed to be a normal attack with a dagger, but it put me into a stagger animation from which he could instakill me. What allowed him to do that, so that I can keep an eye out for it in the future? I'm glad I first encountered it with a summoned spirit rather than an invading one.