Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

habeasdorkus posted:

To the dude who just rated this a 1 out of 5, could I get some criticism? Cause I'm not sure what I did wrong. I noticed that this thread has received a bunch of 1 votes, they knocked the rating down a whole lot after someone mentioned it on the recommendation thread.

I realize it's a dumb thing to worry about, but if I'm actually screwing something up I'd like to know about it so I can do a better job.

Its one of the best LPs, really good update rate and the writing is grand. It'll just be someone being a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Hey Hab - FYI, it's the Champions League, no apostrophe. Its a league made up of Champions, not a league belonging to one Champion. Sorry to get a bit pernickety, but it kinda irritates me seeing you spell it wrong all the time!

Great LP though, really enjoy reading it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

I bet it's outrage that there's a jock thread in a safe-zone subforum.

Heh, I can't think of a much nerdier game than Football Manager.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to reading about the climax of the season. It is certainly looking promising.

Btw, what made Man United so utterly dominant last season? They're still strong in this one but not on anywhere near the romp they were on in the last one.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

tanglewood1420 posted:

Hey Hab - FYI, it's the Champions League, no apostrophe. Its a league made up of Champions, not a league belonging to one Champion. Sorry to get a bit pernickety, but it kinda irritates me seeing you spell it wrong all the time!

Great LP though, really enjoy reading it.

Admit it, you voted 1 :colbert:

Dwarsen
Jan 27, 2004
Dungeon Master
Presumably people who don't like Football Manager or don't like football are voting the thread down out of spite. If the thread sucked, you would've heard that very loudly by now, and if it did, you also wouldn't have lots of people following it and voting in it (also, you'd likely get constructive criticism from people who like the thread and who want it to improve, like when I asked you to be clearer about the scorelines, and I like run-on-sentences can you tell, I'm sure you can).

Blogkb - because you too like video games, old and new (it's just a blog)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Geez, yeah, now I wish I hadn't mentioned it because now there's a ton of new votes! I'm a karma whore. Oh well.

Sorry about the Champion's League thing, it's one of those constant errors in spelling I have to beat out of myself to make stick. Same thing with Offside earlier. I can see how it would get irritating fast. :)

As for Manchester United, they had a team that was among the best I've ever seen in the game. They weren't just great, they were deep as well, so they could survive the fixture hell that comes towards the end of the season and deep Champions League/Cup runs. They're not as deep this year, Arsenal/Manchester City are a little better, and they've got to deal with us now, so they've lost a few more games.

Derek Agony posted:

Do that twice in a row and you've got the Johnstone's Paint Trophy to worry about, too.

If we get to a point where there's nothing left to show in the game I might try to create this as a "challenge run." Champions of Europe as a relegated Championship team would be downright fun as heck.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

habeasdorkus posted:

Geez, yeah, now I wish I hadn't mentioned it because now there's a ton of new votes! I'm a karma whore. Oh well.

Where can you see break up of votes for your threads? Or do you just go by the little pop up that appears when you hover over the Gold icon?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Where can you see break up of votes for your threads? Or do you just go by the little pop up that appears when you hover over the Gold icon?

I go by the popup. It's pretty easy to tell when a vote is way different from the mode, because even with 100+ votes it changes a bunch. So at 107 votes the thread had a 4.77, at 108 votes it had a 4.7. C'est la vie, I shouldn't have whined about it.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Quit your day job and just do this all day or I'm voting 1.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Thread is great, keep going for as long as the game remains a challenge.

Alternatively I'd love to see you do a "La Masia" bonus edition once the main LP is over where you can only sign/play players who come up through your youth team (poaching other teams regens is allowed) and having to loan out your hoard of kids to get them enough experience.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I wonder how far people managed to take a team of amateurs.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Munin posted:

Winning the FA Cup, at least in reality.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

AJ_Impy posted:

Winning the FA Cup, at least in reality.

Well yeah, but that's way back when. The time of Old Etonians et al. Replicating that in FM in the modern day (not using exploits or the likes) would be quite staggering.

Tottenham were professional when they became the the only non-league side to win the FA cup in 1901, right?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'd love as a challenge getting a team like the USA or Italy or Australia to the world cup.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Munin posted:

Well yeah, but that's way back when. The time of Old Etonians et al. Replicating that in FM in the modern day (not using exploits or the likes) would be quite staggering.

Tottenham were professional when they became the the only non-league side to win the FA cup in 1901, right?

Correct, they turned professional in 1895.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Munin posted:

Well, Queen's Park in Scotland is hardcoded to stay amateur, so theoretically they could win the SPL and go on to the champions league. I don't know if anyone's ever actually managed that though.

blakout posted:

I'd love as a challenge getting a team like the USA or Italy or Australia to the world cup.

The real challenge teams are nations like Lichtenstein, San Marino or Andorra. I know someone managed to win the World cup with Lichtenstein in FM 13, so they're all possible.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Real challenge. Canada

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Well, Queen's Park in Scotland is hardcoded to stay amateur, so theoretically they could win the SPL and go on to the champions league. I don't know if anyone's ever actually managed that though.

The real challenge teams are nations like Lichtenstein, San Marino or Andorra. I know someone managed to win the World cup with Lichtenstein in FM 13, so they're all possible.

Wonder how many times reloads

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

There's the epic San Marino challenge, where you play as the San Marino club in Italian leagues and as the San Marinese national team manager. The goal is to win Serie A, the Champions League, the Coppa Italia, and the World Cup. Basically you have to relentlessly poach newgens and cap them ASAP for San Marino so that the national team can compete. We've still got a long ways to go before we're done with Wrexham, though. We haven't even won any trophies yet. When I leave I want to leave behind the undisputed greatest team in the world.

I'm waiting on a chance to become a national team manager as well as the Wrexham boss, my deepest desire is to take over the USA and win a World Cup with them as I doubt I'll see the real life USMNT win one in the next few decades. In real life we've got a good national side that has a solid shot at making the knockout round in most World Cups, but it's clearly a step and a half below the best national sides like Germany and Brazil and still a step behind the merely excellent nations like England and Chile.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

blakout posted:

Until FM can adequately simulate Balotelli, I feel like getting Italy to the World Cup finals is always going to be easier than it should be.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

blakout posted:

I can see how getting four-time World Cup winners (and one-time hosts) Italy to the World Cup could be difficult.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm waiting on a chance to become a national team manager as well as the Wrexham boss, my deepest desire is to take over the USA and win a World Cup with them as I doubt I'll see the real life USMNT win one in the next few decades. In real life we've got a good national side that has a solid shot at making the knockout round in most World Cups, but it's clearly a step and a half below the best national sides like Germany and Brazil and still a step behind the merely excellent nations like England and Chile.

USFootballfans.txt

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

AJ_Impy posted:

I can see how getting four-time World Cup winners (and one-time hosts) Italy to the World Cup could be difficult.

Mario Baloteli.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ForeverBWFC posted:

USFootballfans.txt

Hey, he ain't wrong. USA is a third-tier international football team, which is enough to make it to the WC - especially as a CONCACAF team - and depending on the group, to the knockout stages. Hell, if they get a WC bid, corruption might even ensure they make it to the semis or something like South Korea before them.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Brony Hunter posted:

Mario Baloteli.

What does that croc wearing Iron Chef have to do with it?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Dias posted:

Hey, he ain't wrong. USA is a third-tier international football team, which is enough to make it to the WC - especially as a CONCACAF team - and depending on the group, to the knockout stages. Hell, if they get a WC bid, corruption might even ensure they make it to the semis or something like South Korea before them.

Nope, only made it to the Round of 16, after finishing 3rd in a group of 4.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

That was me half asleep I meant to say France there

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ForeverBWFC posted:

USFootballfans.txt
USFootballfans.txt would be "Jozy Altidore gonna win the Golden Boot in 2014 and America is bringing home the World Cup this year!!" That was actually cogent analysis.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
The US are actually quite good, especially at grassroots level (I knew a guy who coached ten-year-olds, apparently it's the most popular school sport in a lot of areas?). Their league system is Byzantine and crazy but it does a good job of developing talent that inevitably ends up playing in Europe. Not so long ago they beat Spain, world champions at the time, in the Confederations Cup. The US has a bright future in football.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

I thought they went to the QF in 2002.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Obliterati posted:

The US are actually quite good, especially at grassroots level (I knew a guy who coached ten-year-olds, apparently it's the most popular school sport in a lot of areas?). Their league system is Byzantine and crazy but it does a good job of developing talent that inevitably ends up playing in Europe. Not so long ago they beat Spain, world champions at the time, in the Confederations Cup. The US has a bright future in football.

Problem is that people have been saying that for the last decade or so. The US has shown improvement, but if there's a whole generation of awesome footballers just waiting out there in deepest Nebraska, I haven't seen any evidence of it yet.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AJ_Impy posted:

Yeah, but that was when the USA sucked even more - and they made it to Round of 16 regardless!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Problem is that people have been saying that for the last decade or so. The US has shown improvement, but if there's a whole generation of awesome footballers just waiting out there in deepest Nebraska, I haven't seen any evidence of it yet.

Well it takes about two decades for an athlete to grow up...

Soccer isn't really a sport where you have to be born with Phelpsian body mutations to succeed. The most successful soccer nations just have good youth programs, and the US is fairly solid on that front.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

Obliterati posted:

Zeroisanumber posted:

Also, while a lot of kids in the US start off with soccer they often move on to other sports as they get older. Growing up almost everyone I knew played soccer in the fall along with other sports in the winter and spring. As we got older though most people matriculated to other sports like American football, baseball, basketball, etc as their main focus. Not necessarily saying that if everyone stuck with soccer we would automatically become world class footballers because I think that argument is a bit farfetched, but just stating that even though a lot of youth play soccer they don't tend to stick with it and develop.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The USMNT only has two Champions League caliber players right now, Michael Bradley and Tim Howard, but the squad as a whole is deep. It's just that when you look at even the English national team there are vanishingly few Americans who could crack the roster. But the country as a whole has a much, much better and deeper pool of talent than we had even a decade ago, and MLS has gotten to the point where it's a decent national league roughly on the level of the second tier European leagues overall. The big clubs in those leagues like Celtic, Shaktar, and Benfica would wreck MLS teams, but as a whole the talent pool isn't that different. And MLS is stable and profitable, meaning it won't collapse any time soon. At some point in a decade or so it could conceivably top out at the Ligue 1 level while having their clubs competing in the Copa Libertadores a la Liga MX.

As for Jozy, I still think he's better than what he showed at Sunderland this season, but after two flops in the prem league it's fair to say that he's not the answer to the prayers of the faithful. Guess we'll just have to wait on Julian Green. ;)

US soccer is light years better than it was in the bad old days of the 1980s, and the current national team is better than the 2002 edition that put a scare into Germany in the quarterfinals. We're probably only the third best team in our group, but it wouldn't be any type of shock for us to advance over Portugal or Ghana. I'm cautiously optimistic about the future, even if we are a long ways away from expecting to get out of the group stage given a neutral or better draw. Our youth development has also improved a lot, and Klinsy hasn't been shy about snaking players with US eligibility from other nations.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 20, 2014

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
How are the u20s doing in Wrexham Universe? That can be a good gauge of how things are going.

Speaking of which, even if the USA top job is taken, the u20s will more likely hire you if there's a vacancy (and you apply), and you can manage them too. I had a productive spell with Scotland u21s making it out of the group stage of the u21 European Championship: originally I was working my way up to the top job, having also coached the u19s, but then France went and offered me their top job. Managing youth teams can be quite fun, and it's a good way to steal top young talent (or even blood your slightly-below standard club players...)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

habeasdorkus posted:

US soccer is light years better than it was in the bad old days of the 1980s, and the current national team is better than the 2002 edition that put a scare into Germany in the quarterfinals. We're probably only the third best team in our group, but it wouldn't be any type of shock for us to advance over Portugal or Ghana. I'm cautiously optimistic about the future, even if we are a long ways away from expecting to get out of the group stage given a neutral or better draw. Our youth development has also improved a lot, and Klinsy hasn't been shy about snaking players with US eligibility from other nations.

The USA "group of death" is more mediocre death than anything else, really. Ghana is a solid squad, tops and Portugal has Cristiano Ronaldo and nothing else.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

My favorite podcast Men in Blazers has a line that sums up soccer in America perfectly. "Soccer Americas sport of the future as it has been since 1978."

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Dias posted:

The USA "group of death" is more mediocre death than anything else, really. Ghana is a solid squad, tops and Portugal has Cristiano Ronaldo and nothing else.

It's a bit of a personalized group of death, really. Ghana has knocked the USA out of the last few World Cups, Germany is Germany. Bad travel situations, etc.

But crazier things have happened- USA was on the way out last time before a single goal at the death moved them on to get knocked out by Ghana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

So, not to derail the derail, but... spoilers!

:D

• Locked thread