Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Oh most certainly. I would want to get the other countries' tanks done before a real publicity blitz on the forums, and getting a chance to see what ripping out the veterancy damage multiplier does for infantry fights does, though.

Goon peer pressure seems to be plenty to get guinea pigs playtesters though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah while these games were good I think we need to get a little bit more comfortable with thew "meta" of the mod and further changes to it before we go all out on the publicity.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I'm sure its been asked but when a unit gains experience at the end of a multiplayer battle on the after action report does it mean anything?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jet Age posted:

I'm sure its been asked but when a unit gains experience at the end of a multiplayer battle on the after action report does it mean anything?

Only in the single player campaign.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Screw the public, I want to see the replays myself. I promise not to share. :)

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Hob_Gadling posted:

Screw the public, I want to see the replays myself. I promise not to share. :)

You can now go watch it yourself :v:

Also xthetenth, I've gotten the NSWP and Commonwealth tanks done on the sheet I linked you.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 20, 2014

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Dave47 posted:

As is often the case, people are too busy talking about real guns to answer your question.

Machine guns and small-arms can both attack helicopters. Somewhere in this massive spreadsheet (which I believe is linked somewhere in the nearly-as-massive OP) is a high explosive damage table that will give you the following answer:

Armor 1 offers no protection from high explosive damage compared to armor 0. On armored helicopters like the Hind, armor 1 offers 90% reduction of infantry small-arms fire. (Which can actually be a big deal if you blunder past an infantry squad.) On airplanes, which cannot be hit by small-arms (or AP or HEAT rounds) armor 1 is a "fluffy" attribute on planes like the A-10. (Note, however, that the armor 2 on the A-10's front and rear is far from fluffy, providing 60% damage mitigation versus enemy AA.)

So this explains why armoured APCs will happily plink away at each other and makes 2 armour acps kings of the most irrelevant fight in the game. Good to know about the hinds too, I've seen a lot of people using them to support forest combat and wondered what exactly made them so durable.
Will have to check over the spreadsheet when I'm back home since VFX internet blocks dropbox (for the same reason that you get an angry call from support if you try to plug in an external HD I imagine).

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Oh hi! :getin:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Is that a DDR Tunguska? poo poo may have just gotten "real".

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Not to overshadow a DDR Tunguska, but

Your boats have a new coastal friend. IIRC your looking at a SSC-3 Styx.

It makes a lot of sense now these were held off till the Nord DLC, since they have the best NATO AshM coastal options. Either that, or they realized how badly these things were needed after beta.

This DLC has already hinted the Polish PT-91, Polish version of the Neva, a Czech Mig-29, and FJB-40 '90. Yeah, NSWP might be a lot of fun.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 20, 2014

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

That first game with the tank mod that I played was pretty interesting. Really felt like we were in the Fulda Gap, with so many drat soviet tanks rushing into us. Going to be very neat to see this develop into a proper tank-centric meta. Hopefully enough to get back into the game.

I haven't really enjoyed how it shifted in Red Dragon to spams of lovely tanks, so this will be cool :)

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Man, I've got to stop reading the official forums. What a bunch of fun vampires. Seriously, they'd throw all choice in the game away in the name of "authenticity".

Specifically their drive to cut old units from the game because their poor little unsupported M1A1 died to a dozen T34s because their cold war wank fantasy demands only heavy tanks slugging it out with each other.

How bad are they? A T34 spam is stopped by a single cluster bomber.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Can T34 even pen the frontal armor of M1A1 at 350m in RD?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Man, I've got to stop reading the official forums. What a bunch of fun vampires. Seriously, they'd throw all choice in the game away in the name of "authenticity".

Specifically their drive to cut old units from the game because their poor little unsupported M1A1 died to a dozen T34s because their cold war wank fantasy demands only heavy tanks slugging it out with each other.

See I can't really complain about cutting the really old poo poo like T-34s and Cent 2s, but more so the other lovely yet more expensive stuff like T-62s could take that place.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 20, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

You should totally be able to do T34 spams, but you should have to give up something to do it - card slots. Low Availability, lots of Cards solves the lovely-but-cost-effective-unit-spam, without removing them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

This just isn't true, T-34s with proper micro are a very effective armored vehicle force. They can cover a very large area for very cheap and slip through defenses just by sheer numbers especially in the early game. One cluster bomb will kill one T-34 if the other player is doing it right.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Basically what Argle said. The strategy doesn't seem to be T-34 spam to victory, it's T-34 spam to gun down support infantry and forward AA/recon, then Bombers + ATGM planes to smash any hard points or any real tanks you bring up to kill them. They can afford to trade cheap stuff with you all day long until you are out of some lynchpin unit and they aren't.

The problem is really that the reason T-34s should be bad, i.e. that they they would get stomped by any remotely modern tank, isn't really relevant because of aforementioned modern tank problems. There's really no good reason why you'd be able to have 30 T-34s in a given theater but only 6 M60s (or hell, 3 T-80s). You might be able to afford to LOSE them more readily because you had deeper reserves, but that's an entirely different issue.

Basically, either the high-end tanks need to be closer to the low-end tanks in price, or the availability (and thus "combat effectiveness per-AP") of the low-end tanks needs to be drastically reduced.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I'm trying the campaigns and they're far more fun than ALB to me so far.

Early Bear vs Dragon is kind of a hilarious shitshow when you ram militia battalions into soviet birder guards and assorted slapfights. Taking the Dongning airport was kinda retarded. 24 chinese militia squads and a command squad in BMP-1s with 9 lovely old chinese fighters running cap against the opposing MiG-21 clusterbombers. And up against it comes the T-34s and SU-122-54. Total victory, but my BMPs were all out of Malyutkas, the BMPs and militia were low on RPGs and I had no supply whatsoever, so I was basically saved by the rout threshold because I had basically nothing left to stop the other two dozen vintage tanks and assualt guns from running me over.

Does anyone have some advice or a guide for the campaigns in general nad Bear vs Dragon in particular? I'd be interested in that indeed; even Bear vs Dragon already looks more challenging than bending Busan Pocket over my knee.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Destroy enemy units by moving onto squares occupied by only routed units. Bear & Dragon and Pearl of the Orient get much easier when you realize that by playing aggressively you can wipe out most of the AI's starting units. In Bear & Dragon use your marine forces in Vladivostok and your beginning Chinese border units to mop up all the starting Soviet units after you initially push them back. After that all you have to worry about is the reinforcements that spawn all the way in their back zones. In Pearl of the Orient it's even easier, after their first big push they will have 6+ routed units all fall back to an empty zone within range of your starting helicopter regiment.

The T-34s don't even need to shoot anything, with the way sight and range works in this game they can just push forward with one or two decent guns behind them to deal with any real units that shoots at them. With zero aim time and near perfect accuracy in woods they only need a couple real units to keep the T-34s dangerous.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
There is competition in the world of tank rebalancing! This mod seems to be backed by a team as well; the fact that multiple group are working on the problem, one backed by a marshal, one backed by a ranked team, will hopefully reinforce the necessity of rebalancing tanks to Eugen.

The pricing scheme they have come up with (also combined with some stat changes) has similar ideas to the SA tank mod, although their prices are higher in a few cases and a bit lower in others. Eg, their T-72B1 is at 80 points with the T-64BM at 85,their T-80BV is at 120 as opposed to the T-64BV at 125 but they also increased the T-80BV's ACC to 50; ultra-cheap 10 point etc tanks are limited by availability.

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 20, 2014

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Both daywalker and sleksa are good dudes, sleksa is probably one of the best posters I saw (ie he had good opinions and made good points) while I was active during the beta stuff and before. One of you guys should contact sleksa, maybe combine with them so this gains more traction.

The overall goal is similar enough that it's probably better to figure something out with them instead of fragmenting the same idea. I'd bet they'd agree given the objective here is to make tanks suck less, plain and simple.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 20, 2014

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Xerxes17 posted:

You can now go watch it yourself :v:

Also xthetenth, I've gotten the NSWP and Commonwealth tanks done on the sheet I linked you.

Stop giving me more work!

I have good news though, the glorious Proletariat has achieved victory in the first special forces war!

Hopefully will have CW and NSWP done in a few if all I'm doing is data jockeying rather than doing the number calcs as well. Much appreciated!

EDIT: I'm gonna be trying to rush this out so it's got everything ready ASAP so I won't be messing with the power crystals mod tool quite yet.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 20, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
No more infantry veterancy damage multiplier?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

xthetenth posted:

Infanterie_Coef_Dommages deletus est

Fixed :yayclod:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

No more infantry veterancy damage multiplier?

Yep! :agesilaus:

DAMMIT! :eng99: (the only latin I speak is the porcine variety and badly at that)

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Don't feel bad that you didn't spend three years learning a useless language.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

But it's a good idea properly used!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

SAS with pocket Hawks are the realest thing just ask the commonwealth forumers. :britain:

Oh and Xerxes, sanity check on comparative number of heavies in the Eurocorps setup, it's looking real low compared to what US and USSR can put down. Not sure if another card of Leclerc might fit the bill, since it's comparatively anemic against higher end tanks but real mean against lower end stuff, so it gives them more stuff at the higher end of the category rather than literally all the 2A4s and hoping they can balance out stuff like HAs and HCs

Edit: Other than potential changes there, USSR, US and Eurocorps are patched.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 20, 2014

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
And that's Bear vs Dragon. Total victory on Day 5, though the final fight at Kalaverovo was a nailbiter. My assault in that was about to fall apart when I spotted the T-72KI; all four of the Q-5 clusterbombers went on a suicide ride through a shitstorm of Biryusas, Buks and even a Tor to deliver a decapitation strike that would cause a full soviet rout if successful. The entire squadron was annihilated, but two got far enough to drop their payload and won the entire campaign with it. :china:

Seriously, fighting T-80s and T-72As with Malyutkas and old T-55s is a nightmare.

Magni fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 20, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Magni posted:

And that's Bear vs Dragon. Total victory on Day 5, though the final fight at Kalaverovo was a nailbiter. My assault in that was about to fall apart when I spotted the T-72KI; all four of the Q-5 clusterbombers went on a suicide ride through a shitstorm of Biryusas, Buks and even a Tor to deliver that decapitation strike that caused a full soviet rout. The entire squadron was annihilated, but two got far enough to drop their payload and won the entire campaign with it. :china:

Seriously, fighting T-80s and T-72As with Malyutkas and old T-55s is a nightmare.

Also unrealistic as gently caress :P The troops in that area were mainly T62's at best, with a few 72's in "elite" groups.

My autism-friendly campaign mod's goal is to sort out stuff like that.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Mazz posted:

Not to overshadow a DDR Tunguska, but

Your boats have a new coastal friend. IIRC your looking at a SSC-3 Styx.

It makes a lot of sense now these were held off till the Nord DLC, since they have the best NATO AshM coastal options. Either that, or they realized how badly these things were needed after beta.

This DLC has already hinted the Polish PT-91, Polish version of the Neva, a Czech Mig-29, and FJB-40 '90. Yeah, NSWP might be a lot of fun.

You mean all I have to do to comfortably ignore naval play is bring a Scandaboo deck? F'ing SOLD.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Hubis posted:

You mean all I have to do to comfortably ignore naval play is bring a Scandaboo deck? F'ing SOLD.

No my assumption is that those will be worked into the naval tab somehow, so you'll be able to bring in those where boats are a thing. I don't really see how else it could work honestly. But yes hopefully it means you can bring those in a deck to avoid boats entirely, just line the coast with a bunch of missile boat-equivalent trucks fueled by a FOB or something

And that one is actually a PACT weapon, I assume Denmark, Sweden or Norway has some sort of truck mounted Harpoon or exocet or something they can make work for NATO though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 20, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Mazz posted:

No my assumption is that those will be worked into the naval tab somehow, so you'll be able to bring in those where boats are a thing. I don't really see how else it could work honestly.

And that one is actually a PACT weapon, I assume Denmark, Sweden or Norway has some sort of truck mounted Harpoon or exocet or something they can make work for NATO though.

Please be Denmark; they desperately need more love.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Davin Valkri posted:

Please be Denmark; they desperately need more love.

They're getting some :twisted:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
My Scand deck getting even better? Oh god yes.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yep, Scandi's are looking quite good in the DLC.

Its why I've always been so loving annoyed by people whining about NSWP and Scandi's in the current meta. They are loving incomplete, for all intents and purposes. Their new poo poo hasnt arrived yet, and they should be ignored really until then.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Dandywalken posted:

Its why I've always been so loving annoyed by people whining about NSWP and Scandi's in the current meta. They are loving incomplete, for all intents and purposes. Their new poo poo hasnt arrived yet, and they should be ignored really until then.

What's amazing for me is that they're incomplete and yet STILL capable of kicking butt. I'd rank my Scandinavian generalist deck and my Polish Airbone deck very highly; they have good stuff in large enough amounts to make a difference. I can't want to see what new toys the NORD/NSWP DLC brings to the party; maybe they'll end up being the ubermenches that murder everybody else. :sweden: :hf: :poland:

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, really looking forward to the nswp/scandi dlc. Do we have an ETA?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

NSFWP is already in danger of being my favorite deck because cheap motoschuetzen shock troops and panzerjaegers everywhere. Just give me a '90 version with a good LAW and MG and I'm sold.

Also one DLC or two? Because the teasers are mostly NSWP, but there's a good bit of known stuff for Scandihoovinia too. (NSFWP first is absolutely positively the right call if they're split).

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

xthetenth posted:

NSFWP is already in danger of being my favorite deck because cheap motoschuetzen shock troops and panzerjaegers everywhere. Just give me a '90 version with a good LAW and MG and I'm sold.

Also one DLC or two? Because the teasers are mostly NSWP, but there's a good bit of known stuff for Scandihoovinia too.

Heheh, you also get Kpz T-72M1s that are the best medium tanks in the game and can fight Abrams tank for tank. I had a game against Malamars and Tatrakrad earlier where their M1A1s and M1A1HAs got to see desert storm, in reverse; truly they are the unappreciated gem of East Germany/NSWP decks.

• Locked thread