Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
My freshly Persian-faced emperor and newly minted Saoshyant.

The Middle East and Arabian Peninsula have gotten a bit weird since the Zoroastrianism began to reassert itself. I want to see if the AI will form the Abyssinian Empire, but first they have to usurp Egypt off the Tulunids.

Also, even imgur has a loving captcha now?

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

FUUUUUUCK

I'm doing a Karling resurgence game starting in Vermandois. Married my heir to the duchess of Aquitaine (!) and everything seemed to go well until the Kaiser of all people usurped the title. HOW? How does he even have a claim on it?

His Grandfather was the Duke of Aquitaine; when his mother dies, he gets her weak claim. Since it's a Duchess holding the title, he can press it against her.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm enjoying playing in Arabia/africa but man does it take forever for troops to get anywhere.
You would think that camels would move faster than other troops in the desert.

The camel retinue is pretty awesome though.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
So I was looking at the CK2 wiki, and they list Hellenic Paganism as a religion in the game. I tried to look around the 867 start, and I can't find a single character or county with that religion. Do they just come into the game somehow, and if so, how?

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
That's only for historical purposes, or perhaps screwing around with the ruler designer. You can browse the previous rulers of the Byzantine empire all the way back to Augustus, and those long dead rulers had it. There's no character or province left which still practices it.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 20, 2014

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Democrazy posted:

So I was looking at the CK2 wiki, and they list Hellenic Paganism as a religion in the game. I tried to look around the 867 start, and I can't find a single character or county with that religion. Do they just come into the game somehow, and if so, how?

It's just for history so the pre Christian Roman emperors have the right religion.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Rumda posted:

It's just for history so the pre Christian Roman emperors have the right religion.

Just gonna note that it's totally not the right religion and the idea that the Roman gods were the same as the Hellenic gods stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of Classical religion. :colbert:

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Beamed posted:

Just gonna note that it's totally not the right religion and the idea that the Roman gods were the same as the Hellenic gods stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of Classical religion. :colbert:

The Roman religion was intentionally syncretic and the Roman state encouraged the idea that other gods were just different manifestations of a Roman god with similar attributes.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 20, 2014

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I've been experiencing the strangest bug: whenever I try to plot to revoke a county, the moment I make the decision to revoke and my vassal declares war on me the war immediately ends and I get a message to the effect of "[My character] has left the the war because their liege [my character] has joined the war." This has happened to me in both my India game and my girlfriend's Ireland game. For what it's worth, I'm running the game with the beta patch.

Edit: the worst part is that I'm unable to manually end the plot after this because the tooltip says "can not end a plot that has already been set in motion." The only way for me to end the plot would be to revoke that county and eat up the tyranny penalty, which is not something I'm willing to do.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 20, 2014

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I have discovered recently my favourite flip side to scouring the globe looking for appropriate mates for my brood of offspring - I have a tame branch of the family holding the kingdom of Ireland that I am essentially inbreeding the dwarf and lisp traits into. Soon I will have them inherit (tanistry) and use the dwarf children to destabilise the other Christian megablocks by marrying them all to karlings. Pics when I get home.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

The Roman religion was intentionally syncretic and the Roman state encouraged the idea that other gods were just different manifestations of a Roman god with similar attributes.

Yes, just like almost every single polytheistic religion in the area? As far back as the Old Kingdom you had the gods from Upper and Lower Egypt being reconciled as different aspects of eachother.

Little_Viking
Aug 23, 2007
Raiding Lindisfarne since 793AD.
Oh nice! Persian unit and Portraits out this morning. I now can start digging into the Zoroastrians! Anyone have any tips so I don't just get smashed right away?

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Little_Viking posted:

Oh nice! Persian unit and Portraits out this morning. I now can start digging into the Zoroastrians! Anyone have any tips so I don't just get smashed right away?

As Karen, swear fealty immediately to your Muslim neighbor to the right. Most of the lands are still Zoroastrian, so he'll get lots of revolts. Just wait for one to happen and he'll lose a lot of troops, then pounce and demand elective succession and install yourself as ruler. I mostly expanded by exploiting the Saffarid's instability.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
uurgh I just reverted back from the beta only to find out that it reverted my savefiles as well. I lost 65 years on my current savefile.

Little_Viking
Aug 23, 2007
Raiding Lindisfarne since 793AD.

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

As Karen, swear fealty immediately to your Muslim neighbor to the right. Most of the lands are still Zoroastrian, so he'll get lots of revolts. Just wait for one to happen and he'll lose a lot of troops, then pounce and demand elective succession and install yourself as ruler. I mostly expanded by exploiting the Saffarid's instability.

Oh nice, that seems doable. I tried the swear fealty trick as semien(I think? the Jewish east africa start), and simply had my king covert my people, hopefully they wont be able to do that to me.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

That's only for historical purposes, or perhaps screwing around with the ruler designer. You can browse the previous rulers of the Byzantine empire all the way back to Augustus, and those long dead rulers had it. There's no character or province left which still practices it.

That's sensible (and a cool nod to Imperial authority being traced all the way back to Augustus) but man, it'd be kind of cool if there was a random event that could mark the return of Hellenic paganism. Maybe if the Byzantine Empire is pushed out of Greece or destroyed?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Little_Viking posted:

Oh nice, that seems doable. I tried the swear fealty trick as semien(I think? the Jewish east africa start), and simply had my king covert my people, hopefully they wont be able to do that to me.

Generally you need to be fairly powerful when you swear fealty as a different religion to that of the ruler, or your new liege will just revoke your title/demand conversion.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I think it's actually easier now to start as the Saffarids, unite most of the Persian Empire, then move my capital to a Zoroastrian province and convert. Muslims rack up piety so easily it becomes trivial to do that even with your first character.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Allyn posted:

Some Invasion CBs say they'll do this ("[Your char] takes all occupied holdings") but don't actually do so, like the Muslim one. The pagan/tribal/Christian ones do though. Also note you only need to occupy the top-level holding of a county and you automatically get everything underneath it.

Yea learned this the hard way last night... Invaded Byzantine and took everything up to Greece. Only got Croatia for my troubles. Oh well. My Sunni world conquests continues! Retinues are so nice.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I think it's actually easier now to start as the Saffarids, unite most of the Persian Empire, then move my capital to a Zoroastrian province and convert. Muslims rack up piety so easily it becomes trivial to do that even with your first character.

Alternatively start as the Cumans or Yabguid Turks and expand southward from the Steppe. There are quite a few Zoroastrian ladies in Muslim courts whose rulers don't give a poo poo about marrying infidels off to steppe pagans. You can either get a Zoroastrian wife/concubine or simply smack the Samanids down with an Invasion, move your capital to Khiva and convert. Khiva is an excellent steppe capital as it's fairly central and 3/4 of its provinces are Steppe which means you get the fancy cavalry buildings.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Goddamn AI. I have to save Mesopotamia's rear end from Muslims for the hundredth time because they keep trying regroup their armies right next to a 20000 enemy pile. I guess if their total numbers scattered around the realm match the enemy, the AI will figure conga lining them all to their deaths makes sense.

The AI also doesn't seem to realize Mesopotamia is allied with the drat Roman Empire which is right next door.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 20, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

My freshly Persian-faced emperor and newly minted Saoshyant.

The Middle East and Arabian Peninsula have gotten a bit weird since the Zoroastrianism began to reassert itself. I want to see if the AI will form the Abyssinian Empire, but first they have to usurp Egypt off the Tulunids.

Also, even imgur has a loving captcha now?

While it's taking a little while to get used to the new looks for some characters (particularly Ya'qub and Nasr; the former being this young-looking dude with really messy hair, while also being an absolute god of war, was especially great), I really like the Persian portraits. Looking up pictures of actual Persian people, I now see that it's more accurate than the old ones. Looks a lot better than what that one mod in HIP did too; even ignoring the off-center mouths and such in the mod, the DLC's skin tone looks like an actual skin tone rather than the old faces with cream smeared over them.

On a tangent, it's really neat looking up characters in this and learning about who they actually were and stuff. Vandad and Farah are the kids of a guy who became infamous for openly being Zoroastrian under the Muslim rule (though he and his brother were eventually executed and gibbeted for it), and the House of Karen in general existed from Sassanid times all the way to the 11th century, despite repeated attempts by the Caliphate to control them. (Maybe; Maziar was real at least, as was the House of Karen. Not sure about Vandad and Farah specifically though.) Ya'qub, meanwhile, was actually the founder of the Saffarid dynasty, despite possibly being born in a rather low class, and really hated the Abbasids as well. (Nasr was apparently less impressive, though the Samanids eventually vassalized the Saffarids, so they did well for a while I suppose.)

The two Murchads people tend to start at in Ireland (the Dublin and Thormond rulers) were real as well, though their lives didn't go quite so well. Both of them died a few years after the start date. Not quite becoming King of Ireland, really. Heck, Dublin's Murchad actually died two years before his father, which is somewhat amusing in the context of the usual strategy for playing him being to wait until his father dies and you inherit from him.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 20, 2014

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I want to get it all:
I want to get a Sayyid Saoshyant born in the Purple Augustus Mongol Jain Karling.
How do I do this?
I was thinking about starting as the Italian Karling and fight the Muslims until I capture a Sayyid Boy, raise and convert him, marry into my bloodline, then get a claim on the Byzantine Empire and proceed to go into Persia after forming the Roman Empire.
But how do I form the Persian Empire which seems to be a prerequisite for Saoshyant? I guess I would need give up on the Roman Empire to become independent, form Persia and then get the Roman Empire back.
After that converting to Mongol culture and Jain religion sounds almost trivially easy.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Supeerme posted:

uurgh I just reverted back from the beta only to find out that it reverted my savefiles as well. I lost 65 years on my current savefile.

Your saves aren't reverted, they will still be there saying "Unsupported version" or something similar. Just open them up and change the version number, nothing major should be different.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What is the deal with the Chief Qadi? Playing as the Hashimids, I keep getting these popups about how some random vassal is pissed about the Chief Qadi, with the option to replace the guy. There isn't any info in the tooltip about whether this will piss anyone off or make anyone like me more. I don't even know what a Chief Qadi is.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Hey, since Rajas of India and it's changes, have the patches changed anything major, game wise at all?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Bold Robot posted:

What is the deal with the Chief Qadi? Playing as the Hashimids, I keep getting these popups about how some random vassal is pissed about the Chief Qadi, with the option to replace the guy. There isn't any info in the tooltip about whether this will piss anyone off or make anyone like me more. I don't even know what a Chief Qadi is.

He's like your Kingdom's official judge for religious matters. You can award it as an honourary title to people with religious education. I'm not really sure what he does besides upset random vassals though.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Democrazy posted:

That's sensible (and a cool nod to Imperial authority being traced all the way back to Augustus) but man, it'd be kind of cool if there was a random event that could mark the return of Hellenic paganism. Maybe if the Byzantine Empire is pushed out of Greece or destroyed?
Good news! Ancient Religions is basically exactly that, allowing...I think Greek or Italian characters in the right region to potentially return to the ways of Jupiter, Best and Greatest.

Bad news: It's not been updated yet for the most recent patches.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 20, 2014

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How can I convince members of my dynasty to stop being decadent? I don't see any option in the diplomacy screen.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

How can I convince members of my dynasty to stop being decadent? I don't see any option in the diplomacy screen.

It's in the religion screen. There's a list of Decadent dynasty members, and they should have a Straighten Up button.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Today's Humble Bundle has CK2 + 21 DLC's for $20, and a vanilla copy of CK2 for $8.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

quote:

Fourth open beta version of patch 2.1.5 now on Steam.
If you want to help us test it, right click the game in the Steam client, choose Properties, click the "Betas" tab and select the "Beta 2.1.5.4" version of the game.

This patch should solve most if not all of the crash issues that the .3 patch introduced, it also fixes a number of other issues.

Here's the full change log:

MAJOR:
- Fixed issue where taking the last county from the Pope would not properly give its baronies to the winner.
- Fixed issue where taking the last county from the Pope ended his Crusades.
- Fixed several CTDs casued by the 2.1.5.3 beta patch

MINOR:
- Fixed issues where text was showing strange characters
- Fixed issue where a character would not be counted as incapaciteded or pilgrim after loading a savegame
- Added spanish, french and german localization
- Fixed a minor bug with the white elephant events.
- Fixed a bug with scheming regents sometimes not stopping their schemes if they lost their original target.

AI:
- Fixed an issue with separated seazones that was breaking AI when trying to invade by sea.
- Fixed an issue with invasions where AI would repeatedly raise and disband ships.
- Fixed an issue where the AI would not bring home armies at the end of a war.
- Fixed a 'bouncing' issues with armies moving to besiege provinces.

INTERFACE:
- Religion view for Jewish characters no longer displays Catholic specific buttons or the pagan reform button.
- Changed message sent when liege takes over a war to include the vassal's name, instead of "yours".
- Added missing localisation for Slavic, Baltic, Aztec, Mazdaki and Manichean religions.
- Now properly show holy sites in the religion tab for all religions except for religions with either antipopes or autocephaly.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Strudel Man posted:

Good news! Ancient Religions is basically exactly that, allowing...I think Greek or Italian characters in the right region to potentially return to the ways of Jupiter, Best and Greatest.

Bad news: It's not been updated yet for the most recent patches.

Ambivalent news: it's integrated into CK2+, which has (kind of) been.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Drone posted:

Today's Humble Bundle has CK2 + 21 DLC's for $20, and a vanilla copy of CK2 for $8.

It's certainly been cheaper than $8 for vanilla (as they rightfully point out over in the general Steam thread). I doubt it worth it for the game + gameplay DLC either, but can't be arsed to count.

:siren:Old Gods, Rajas of India and Sons of Abraham aren't included!:siren:

Fake edit: Aw, I hate to trash this deal just after such a nice patch update. Maybe CK2 will crash less for me now. :3:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BabyFur Denny posted:

I want to get it all:
I want to get a Sayyid Saoshyant born in the Purple Augustus Mongol Jain Karling.
How do I do this?
I was thinking about starting as the Italian Karling and fight the Muslims until I capture a Sayyid Boy, raise and convert him, marry into my bloodline, then get a claim on the Byzantine Empire and proceed to go into Persia after forming the Roman Empire.
But how do I form the Persian Empire which seems to be a prerequisite for Saoshyant? I guess I would need give up on the Roman Empire to become independent, form Persia and then get the Roman Empire back.
After that converting to Mongol culture and Jain religion sounds almost trivially easy.

I don't think your Sayyid plan will work - the boy's heirs will be of his dynasty, not yours.

If you are already the Roman Emperor - you can just form the Persian Empire (and be dual emperor of Rome and Persia), become Saoshyant, and then destroy Persia if you want since you don't need it after that.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Allyn posted:

His Grandfather was the Duke of Aquitaine; when his mother dies, he gets her weak claim. Since it's a Duchess holding the title, he can press it against her.

Joke's on me in that case I guess.

Thankfully I wasn't doing Ironman so I savescummed and diplo-assassinated him before he could push the claim. The HRE has been extremely stable right from the start and France just can't stand up to it sadly.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Darth Various posted:

Fake edit: Aw, I hate to trash this deal just after such a nice patch update. Maybe CK2 will crash less for me now. :3:

That's it, I'm reverting all the fixes! :colbert:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Lately I haven't been getting the Crusader trait but NPCs have. This is across a few different characters, too. Join the Pope's war, go off and siege something down... no trait. Did something change in how you earn it?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

monster on a stick posted:

I don't think your Sayyid plan will work - the boy's heirs will be of his dynasty, not yours.

If you are already the Roman Emperor - you can just form the Persian Empire (and be dual emperor of Rome and Persia), become Saoshyant, and then destroy Persia if you want since you don't need it after that.

The plan will work just fine. You need to get a Sayyid to your court and then marry him matrilinealy to one of your kinswomen. That child will be a Sayyid of your dynasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

What Torrannor said. The description for Sayyid makes this a bit confusing, but it doesn't care if the marriage is legally matrilineal, it just cares if it's passing from the father or the mother.

• Locked thread