Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Motherfucker posted:

also ten toes, several slots worth of ear space and a dick!

Invincibility will be in my grasp.

Don't forget lips and eyebrows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

fuxxo posted:

Don't forget lips and eyebrows!

If all they have to do is touch skin, just make a necklace.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Schmetterling posted:

I have no dick. :(

Time and Space are distorted in Drangleic

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jordbo posted:

After a suggestion in this thread I lowered my framerate to 30 fps, and it's definitely affecting guard breaks and lounging attacks! I could hardly ever do a correct guard break at 60 fps, but at 30 fps I can chain them flawlessly, so... it's a really weird oversight from From.

If you ever want to use guard breaks or lounging attacks, lower your framerate! .) The question remains if this affects dodging and backstepping, but that's obviously kinda difficult for someone like me to test.

So how did you actually cap the game at 30fps?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Four ring slots.

Yet I have ten fingers.

Don't forget the toes.

EDIT: Shieeeet, beaten and beaten.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
God daaaaamn, power stanced raw Helix Halberd and Archdrake Mace loving owns in pvp. I'm doing between 500 and 800 for a decent hit, and guard breaking people constantly thanks to the mace's 60 poise damage. I'm not really all that good at pvp, I used to win maybe 1 in 5 fights, but now I lose like 1 in 20, maybe. Havels, avelyn, hexes, all useless! Only guy I had any real trouble with was a naked dude with vanquisher's seal, and I even ended up beating him on our third fight.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

So how did you actually cap the game at 30fps?

I did some googling and found this guide for Nvidia cards. Now, I'm not very good with computers so I haven't actually checked my in-game fps, but it looks like 30 fps and guard breaking got a thousand times easier, so I'm convinced.

Edit: Duh, just realized I could check fps with Fraps. Yeah, it's definitely set to 30 fps in-game.

Jordbo fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 20, 2014

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.

Schmetterling posted:

I have no dick. :( I will be forever a noob.

Unless I use the coffin...

...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6c4ZuMg79g

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Look at your lowest stat. Mundane gives you +6 damage rating per point in that stat up to 20, and +3 from there on. If 22 dex is your lowest stat, you'll get +126 damage from scaling. The flat damage should be visible when you select the infusion before committing to it.

I didn't know it was that simple to calculate, thanks. Is that any stat or just str/dex/int/fth?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't know it was that simple to calculate, thanks. Is that any stat or just str/dex/int/fth?

Any stat. If your lowest stat is VIT or END or ATN, that's what Mundane scales with.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Anyone who thought there would be any honor in Dark Souls PvP outside of Bluebro and Dragon duels (maybe) is a fool. gently caress or be hosed. :colbert:

That said I would kill a man to remove the Token Of Fidelity requirement on Bluebro duels so I could get an on demand reprieve from the three man gank squads.

It's pretty silly that invading a sinner means you are open to get your dick chopped off by anyone he summons, even if they're other members of your covenant or Sunbros, who are all meant to be The Goodest of The Goods. That enemies will ignore you but you are still subject to attacks from other players (who aren't red phantoms) is kind of dumb.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Schmetterling posted:

If all they have to do is touch skin, just make a necklace.

Chainmail vest made of rings.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Colapops posted:

even if they're other members of your covenant or Sunbros, who are all meant to be The Goodest of The Goods.

If a sinner joins Way of Blue, can he be defended from bluebro invasions by another automatically summoned bluebro?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ok question about infusions. I'm a primarily DEX based melee character (with pyromancy and bow) and it seems like none of the infusions are useful to me. Obviously all the magic based ones are for people with points in INT and FTH, so that much makes sense. But I thought that maybe putting poison on my Rickard's Rapier would work because of its multi-hit R2 attack. However in practice, even with that attack, it still takes too long to poison things, and I felt like I was better off just keeping the higher damage of the uninfused weapon. Is there anything I'm missing about this gameplay element or should I just ignore it and let my weapons speak for themselves?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If a sinner joins Way of Blue, can he be defended from bluebro invasions by another automatically summoned bluebro?

I don't know if this is the case, but I do know that one Blue Sentinel can use the cracked blue eye orbs to invade another Blue Sentinel, because being a Blue Sentinel does absolutely nothing for your own sin as far as I am aware.

Regy Rusty posted:

Ok question about infusions. I'm a primarily DEX based melee character (with pyromancy and bow) and it seems like none of the infusions are useful to me. Obviously all the magic based ones are for people with points in INT and FTH, so that much makes sense. But I thought that maybe putting poison on my Rickard's Rapier would work because of its multi-hit R2 attack. However in practice, even with that attack, it still takes too long to poison things, and I felt like I was better off just keeping the higher damage of the uninfused weapon. Is there anything I'm missing about this gameplay element or should I just ignore it and let my weapons speak for themselves?

Infusion is mostly for spellcasters it seems, since all of the infusions except for raw/mundane and poison/bleed scale based on magic stats. Let your skillzzzz carry you.

Also: there is actually at least one weapon that has its damage go *up* after being infused, and that's the manikin saber, which is a scimitar-type weapon. Poison infusing it increases its physical base damage for whatever reason, in addition to adding the poison.

Colapops fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 20, 2014

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Regy Rusty posted:

Two of the R2s, if all the hits connect, should poison everything poisonable. Usually one will do it. I played my first build as a Ricard's poison build and I even used that tactic to murder dragons. Poison and Ricard's is a beast. It even did well in PVP for the first few weeks on console. It also maintains S scaling on Poison, so it's not like you lose out on that much scaled damage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm not some PvP expert or anything, but poison seems like something you'd put on a secondary weapon that attacks fast and once it sets in you pull out what you actually want to use. I once was invaded by someone with two poison cestus (cesti?) which he used to stunlock me until the poison took root, then he switched to a sword. The cestus might as well have done no damage at all but it did force me onto a timer and had me worrying about healing since I didn't have any moss on hand. It was clever. Pure dex doesn't seem like it'd get anything from any of the infusions.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Man, I commented to a friend about how Dark Souls 2 doesn't have as many memorable melodies as Dark Souls, then I got to the Executioner's Chariot. I'm sorry I doubted you, Sakuraba.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Mundane build is rushing every stat to exactly 20. This also means you can use a bunch of the earlier hexes since Dark damage scales with the lowest of INT and FTH.

To use Avelyn you need 25STR, to use Santier's Spear you need 22DEX. Both of these have 0 scaling so Mundane at all 20s makes them really strong. If you do this everyone will send you hate mail and there's a very real chance it'll get nerfed

Vanderdeath posted:

Man, I commented to a friend about how Dark Souls 2 doesn't have as many memorable melodies as Dark Souls, then I got to the Executioner's Chariot. I'm sorry I doubted you, Sakuraba.

I should really do this boss, I completely skipped it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Regy Rusty posted:

I find that it helps to supplement it with other things like throwable poison daggers or if poison spells if you have the stats for it. Just keep in mind it's not a be all end all, any smart PVPer will have poison moss antidote so you should have a primary weapon while they are distracted with that

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Mundane build is rushing every stat to exactly 20. This also means you can use a bunch of the earlier hexes since Dark damage scales with the lowest of INT and FTH.

Also 20 faith and int is what you need to get one of the best catalyst / hex staves in the game.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
For anyone who's used them all, how does the damage compare between great heavy soul arrow/great lightning spear and crystal soul spear/sunlight spear assuming comparable weapons

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Thing is, because of how defense works in this game, mundane at 20s still ends up doing less damage than element + respective stat at 30 and up against any kind of armor. Try using mundane Avelyns against a Havel set and see how far it gets you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

For anyone who's used them all, how does the damage compare between great heavy soul arrow/great lightning spear and crystal soul spear/sunlight spear assuming comparable weapons

Dunno about the magic stuff, but Sunlight Spear will do about 300 more damage than Great Lightning Spear, which in turn does about 300 more than Lightning Spear.

edit: I will say that the Soul Arrow line does not compare at all to Lightning Spear or its big brothers.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 20, 2014

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Jose posted:

The soul arrow spells are meant to be spammed and used as a main attack by the sorcerer. The lightning spear spells are meant to be powerful, single hit attacks mixed in with melee, because that's how clerics do.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well I'm really not concerned with PVP anyway, so I guess I'll just ignore infusions and carry on. It's not like I was really feeling underpowered, I just wondered if I was missing out on anything fun.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Kay gets a bit creative this time around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypoN-2myBj8

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Well I'm really not concerned with PVP anyway, so I guess I'll just ignore infusions and carry on. It's not like I was really feeling underpowered, I just wondered if I was missing out on anything fun.

Poison is still great to have around in PVE. Typically the magic number is 4, so 4 knives or 4 arrows and you can take off half the health of an ogre. Bosses are a little more complicated and haven't seen it enough to know if it's worthwhile

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Colapops posted:

The soul arrow spells are meant to be spammed and used as a main attack by the sorcerer. The lightning spear spells are meant to be powerful, single hit attacks mixed in with melee, because that's how clerics do.

I know but it seems like it wouldn't be hard to be a pure caster using miracles instead of sorceries instead, with some hexes thrown in and I'm thinking about respeccing for it instead of currently where I'm using sorceries with some miracles/hexes. Especially because I can pick up the dragon chime a lot earlier than the staff of wisdom

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also 20 faith and int is what you need to get one of the best catalyst / hex staves in the game.

I'd say the Sunset Staff is what you should probably be going for if you want to hex stuff, and that requires 22 INT.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Jose posted:

I know but it seems like it wouldn't be hard to be a pure caster using miracles instead of sorceries instead, with some hexes thrown in and I'm thinking about respeccing for it instead of currently where I'm using sorceries with some miracles/hexes. Especially because I can pick up the dragon chime a lot earlier than the staff of wisdom

Well, to answer your question better I would say that the damage on sorceries doesn't quite match the per-cast damage of miracles up until you're comparing something like soul spear to greater lightning spear.

Either way, playing a pure spellcaster cleric is not by any means impossible or a bad idea. You can get at least three greater lightning spear scrolls in one playthrough I believe.

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
I've been doing some Dragon duels before I head into NG+ and man, Emit Force is wrecking some fools.

I'm hitting for about 800 dmg with Lightning Dragon Chime+5 and people can't seem to dodge it for some reason. And if they run away and heal, Sunlight Spear hits them for about 1700.

Im awful at PVP but I'm 7-0 at the moment! :getin:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Colapops posted:

Well, to answer your question better I would say that the damage on sorceries doesn't quite match the per-cast damage of miracles up until you're comparing something like soul spear to greater lightning spear.

Either way, playing a pure spellcaster cleric is not by any means impossible or a bad idea. You can get at least three greater lightning spear scrolls in one playthrough I believe.

Just seems odd that great lightning spear has so many more casts than soul spear. Having said that I've realised I'm high enough SL to go 50/50/50 int/faith/attunement so can use crystal soul spear and sunlight spear :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Colapops posted:

Yup, one from Straid, one in the Undead Crypt, and one in the well behind a locked door. They also get way more casts than the Soul Spears, eight for Great Lightning Spear compared to two for Soul Spear. Though you're locked to one copy of Sunlight Spear compared to however many Crystal Soul Spears as you feel like farming Freja's soul in ng+ or higher.

At around 30 attunement I can cast GLS 50 times if I have them all equipped and Sunlight Spear four.

edit: actually, I'm not even sure you can make spells from boss souls multiple times. Never tried and I just assumed you can.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 20, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nekrews posted:

I've been doing some Dragon duels before I head into NG+ and man, Emit Force is wrecking some fools.

I'm hitting for about 800 dmg with Lightning Dragon Chime+5 and people can't seem to dodge it for some reason. And if they run away and heal, Sunlight Spear hits them for about 1700.

Im awful at PVP but I'm 7-0 at the moment! :getin:

If you have a lot of money you should buy corrosive urns. There's no bigger gently caress you in this game than breaking your most hated opponents' equipment

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yup, one from Straid, one in the Undead Crypt, and one in the well behind a locked door. They also get way more casts than the Soul Spears, eight for Great Lightning Spear compared to two for Soul Spear. Though you're locked to one copy of Sunlight Spear compared to however many Crystal Soul Spears as you feel like farming Freja's soul in ng+ or higher.

At around 30 attunement I can cast GLS 50 times if I have them all equipped and Sunlight Spear four.

edit: actually, I'm not even sure you can make spells from boss souls multiple times. Never tried and I just assumed you can.

You can get boss soul spells multiple times, but Sunlight Spear is actually a covenant reward, meaning you can only get it once ever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Colapops posted:

You can get boss soul spells multiple times, but Sunlight Spear is actually a covenant reward, meaning you can only get it once ever.

I was referring to what I said about getting multiple copies of Crystal Soul Spear. Yeah, Sunlight Spear is a one and done kind of deal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'd say the Sunset Staff is what you should probably be going for if you want to hex stuff, and that requires 22 INT.

Oh yeah, oops. I think he gives it to you at 20, but you can only use it at 22?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The new binoculars boost just helped Oginam to set the newest WR for any%... 44:48.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I was referring to what I said about getting multiple copies of Crystal Soul Spear. Yeah, Sunlight Spear is a one and done kind of deal.

Sorry, but yeah. You can get flame weapon from the Old Witch soul multiple times for example though only once a cycle of course. The limitation is not having multiples of one soul, but the merchant in question (Straid, Ornifex, whoever) only having one copy for sale. Bonfire ascetics don't work for resetting their inventory AFAIK.