Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does the hexer's hood have any effect on the number of casts of Sunlight Spear/Crystal soul spear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Oh yeah, oops. I think he gives it to you at 20, but you can only use it at 22?

I just killed the mimic in Aldia's Keep for it, so I dunno. :v:

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Jose posted:

Does the hexer's hood have any effect on the number of casts of Sunlight Spear/Crystal soul spear?

Yes. For the really big, low-cast spells, you pretty much only get a single bonus cast but that's still pretty good.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I just killed the mimic in Aldia's Keep for it, so I dunno. :v:

You can get the Sunset Staff very early in the game by having 20 int/faith and talking to Felkin, who is like "woah you're really dark, take my stuff!"

Staff itself does indeed require 22 INT though.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

If you have a lot of money you should buy corrosive urns. There's no bigger gently caress you in this game than breaking your most hated opponents' equipment

This is also fantastic against infinite HP "hackers". They're almost universally poo poo at the game, so have fun breaking all their stuff!

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
So what's the deal with weapon stat bonuses? If a weapon has a bonus for STR and DEX do I get bonuses calculated on both or only the highest of the two?

If i'm 30 STR and 20 DEX is it better to use a weapon with a bonus of A/- or one with a bonus of B/C?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Disco De Soto posted:

So what's the deal with weapon stat bonuses? If a weapon has a bonus for STR and DEX do I get bonuses calculated on both or only the highest of the two?

If i'm 30 STR and 20 DEX is it better to use a weapon with a bonus of A/- or one with a bonus of B/C?

Your bonus is based on every stat it has a bonus rank in. So if the weapon says it has A scaling in STR and D in DEX, it'll scale better off STR but still get a bonus off DEX with no effect from your INT/FTH stats.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Disco De Soto posted:

Both. The scaling factors have diminishing returns, and are different for STR and DEX, but IIRC it goes 2.5 (A), 2.0 (B), 1.0 (C), 2/3 (D), 1/3 (E) for STR up to 30.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alan Smithee posted:

If you have a lot of money you should buy corrosive urns. There's no bigger gently caress you in this game than breaking your most hated opponents' equipment

This is why I like the grave of saints more than the doors of pharros. All you can do in the doors is kill them. In the grave you can really have some fun. Also you don't have to wade through all that drat water.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

RBA Starblade posted:

This is why I like the grave of saints more than the doors of pharros. All you can do in the doors is kill them. In the grave you can really have some fun. Also you don't have to wade through all that drat water.

Pretty sure you can break someone's stuff regardless if they are a spirit or not

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Jordbo posted:

After a suggestion in this thread I lowered my framerate to 30 fps, and it's definitely affecting guard breaks and lounging attacks! I could hardly ever do a correct guard break at 60 fps, but at 30 fps I can chain them flawlessly, so... it's a really weird oversight from From.

If you ever want to use guard breaks or lounging attacks, lower your framerate! .) The question remains if this affects dodging and backstepping, but that's obviously kinda difficult for someone like me to test.

How did you do this? The double durability loss at 60fps is the #1 thing preventing my Trevor Belmont run.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So, yeah. The binocular speed glitch is really loving easy to pull off, and after 2 minutes of practicing you are practically sonic on steroids, holy poo poo.

e: The glitch sucks of PVP, but honestly...it takes me less time to run from one spot to the other after seeing it the tenth time or so...and that is a bonus.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Pretty sure you can break someone's stuff regardless if they are a spirit or not

Yea but grave of saints have some traps that makes puddles of gear breaking acid, which you can force the opponent to try and jump over.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Yea but grave of saints have some traps that makes puddles of gear breaking acid, which you can force the opponent to try and jump over.

You can't without the moon butterfly set, by the way. You land just short and take some durability damage, 8 points or so in a fraction of a second without the bracing knuckle ring on. If you don't keep running after your stuff starts to break real quick.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Both. The scaling factors have diminishing returns, and are different for STR and DEX, but IIRC it goes 2.5 (A), 2.0 (B), 1.0 (C), 2/3 (D), 1/3 (E) for STR up to 30.

Thanks for the answers. So if my STR is 30 and a weapon has a B bonus it adds around 60 damage to my weapon? And what does the S bonus give you - 3.0 for STR up to 30?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

RBA Starblade posted:

You can't without the moon butterfly set, by the way. You land just short and take some durability damage, 8 points or so in a fraction of a second without the bracing knuckle ring on. If you don't keep running after your stuff starts to break real quick.

Dress lighter, if you're under 40% load you can go them no problem.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I made it through the Gutter! It took a walkthrough and multiple deaths, but I did it.

I had a phantom I summoned leave my world because I summoned him twice before and died. :saddowns:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fuzz posted:

Dress lighter, if you're under 40% load you can go them no problem.

I was at 25% but I didn't know that affected jump distance, cool.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I didn't know you could be summoned to the belltower from anywhere. I thought it was just in the Bastille/Siner area. But I just saw a guy get summoned from Black Gulch.

This changes everything. :getin:

Schmetterling posted:

I had a phantom I summoned leave my world because I summoned him twice before and died. :saddowns:

Confidence, skeleton!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Colapops posted:

Yes. For the really big, low-cast spells, you pretty much only get a single bonus cast but that's still pretty good.

Da Hood only ever gives you a single extra cast of a spell. Pumping attunement gives you more.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've had a few people summon me only to instantly send me back in Undead Crypt and nowhere else in the game. Its strange

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

On that topic, what exactly does "lost sight of world master" mean? Several times now I've been summoned as a sunbro only for that message to immediately pop up and I get sent back. Did they poke my sign and then just run as fast as they could away from the boss door or what?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

On that topic, what exactly does "lost sight of world master" mean? Several times now I've been summoned as a sunbro only for that message to immediately pop up and I get sent back. Did they poke my sign and then just run as fast as they could away from the boss door or what?

It means they walked through a boss door that had no boss on the other side.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

voltron lion force posted:

It means they walked through a boss door that had no boss on the other side.

So how did that happen in front of the Smelter Demon door, exactly? If the fog door was there, that means Smelter Demon was still alive. I don't see what other doors the person could possibly reach in the time it takes to get summoned.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So how did that happen in front of the Smelter Demon door, exactly? If the fog door was there, that means Smelter Demon was still alive. I don't see what other doors the person could possibly reach in the time it takes to get summoned.

After you kill the Smelter Demon, his room becomes a Pursuer boss fight room instead. You can't bring coop buddies in there with you. I kept summoning guys who kept getting kicked out before I figured out what the issue was.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

When you summon someone in a place you've already killed the boss, the fog door comes back and entering it kicks out any summons. This happens with any boss arena and the Pursuer showing up after you kill the Smelter Demon is incidental.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Oooh, that makes sense. That's probably what happened. Shame you can't bro-op Pursuer II: Electric Boogaloo, then.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Ok question about infusions. I'm a primarily DEX based melee character (with pyromancy and bow) and it seems like none of the infusions are useful to me. Obviously all the magic based ones are for people with points in INT and FTH, so that much makes sense. But I thought that maybe putting poison on my Rickard's Rapier would work because of its multi-hit R2 attack. However in practice, even with that attack, it still takes too long to poison things, and I felt like I was better off just keeping the higher damage of the uninfused weapon. Is there anything I'm missing about this gameplay element or should I just ignore it and let my weapons speak for themselves?

I started off intending to use sorcery, but miracles (especially GLS and sunlight spear) are so strong that they kind of obviate sorcery

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Official Dark Souls 2 Guide to Magic:

PvE Focus: Use miracles

PvP Focus: Use sorcery

Rage Message Focus: Use hexes

No Focus: Use pyromancy

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I found soul spears to only do like 50% more damage than great heavy soul arrows, but have only 20%-25% of the casts. They also have way bigger cast times and use more stamina. I think their thing is supposed to be that they pierce targets. If every soul spear hits 2 targets, they're probably worth carrying. If every spear hits 3 targets they're definitely worth it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Oooh, that makes sense. That's probably what happened. Shame you can't bro-op Pursuer II: Electric Boogaloo, then.

Can't you have phantoms ready for the double Pursuer fight in ng+?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yes you can. The smelter demon arena is a boss arena though, so you can't bring phantoms there after the main boss (smelter) is dead. This is also why you can't summon for tallhollow (Stadt's arena is between you and him). Not that summoning would be advisable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Soul Vortex is so loving unreliable.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Yes since it's not technically a boss fight and doesn't have a fog. If you want to summon white phantoms you need to not have killed Dragonriders though and white phantoms won't get sent home and recieve a reward since it's not actually a boss.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I died very embarrassingly to the second pursuer fight. In my defense I was on full tilt after stupidly losing 100k souls to the first Alone captain past the bonfire just after the smelter demon. After that I knew it was time for a break.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Ice Fist posted:

In my defense I was on full tilt after stupidly losing 100k souls to the first Alone captain past the bonfire just after the smelter demon. After that I knew it was time for a break.

Wait... how do you lose souls literally ten steps from a bonfire? Can't you just... go and recover them?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Wait... how do you lose souls literally ten steps from a bonfire? Can't you just... go and recover them?

Presumably he lost the souls somewhere else and then got killed by the captain on his way to recover them.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
My main beef with the spells in DS2 is how visually unimpressive they are for their power. Pyromancies are kinda weak but generally look great, Miracles are ~OK looking I guess~ while being stupendously powerful but the most powerful Sorceries and Hexes just look shite, while only the weakest / most situational ones actually seem to have had any effort put into their graphics.

I get that the most commonly-used ones shouldn't have unnecessarily distracting or obscuring effects, but surely there's a middle ground between the Soul Arrows and Great Resonant Soul turd-blobs we've got and the bloom / distortion / colour balance altering of Pyromancies.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
For the longest time I did not know GRS was GRS because all I saw was a guy flick his hand at me and then I died for some reason.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Confidence, skeleton!

I beat the Rotten! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist