Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
V-Mart doesn't play catcher anymore, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

Laderhan posted:

V-Mart doesn't play catcher anymore, right?

Real world? Not even close. OOTP I'm not sure. Tigers claimed they'd use him at C in NL parks this year, I think that lasted 2 games.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Mornacale posted:

He's a bad pick because he hasn't played an inning above AA and his K rate there was 30%, the dude is not ready for MLB. The point of the thread is to draft the best baseball team, not to game OOTP's rating system.

The point of my team to pick dudes I like, hence why I will be finishing with 110 losses like all my seasons in ootp 13.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

to whoever was questioning the Segura pick, PECOTA has him as the 3rd or 4th best SS iirc

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Even though Sano has good ratings from OOTP, I still think it would be cool to see him play 162 game season with no injuries. I am assembling a lineup of people I think to be cool. I will probably pick more prospects so I am sorry in advance.

It isn't like he's insultingly far away either. Pre-Injury he probably could have made the Twins by next year. People were even speculating that he could have been a Sept call up this year, but with the super two fetish going on, I doubt it.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Lucroy was the dude I was going to pick one pick later, good job and drat you

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harlock posted:

It isn't like he's insultingly far away either. Pre-Injury he probably could have made the Twins by next year. People were even speculating that he could have been a Sept call up this year, but with the super two fetish going on, I doubt it.

Sano was going to be competing for the starting 3B job in spring training and some quotes by Twins personnel made it seem like it was not only an actual competition but that they expected him to win it.

I'm not home for most of tonight so please feel free to not wait for my ok to skip people if they run out of time or whatever else comes.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

JackssWastedLife posted:

Real world? Not even close. OOTP I'm not sure. Tigers claimed they'd use him at C in NL parks this year, I think that lasted 2 games.

Well they've only played 5 games in NL parks, so that's a pretty good percentage! But realistically, Martinez is a bad catcher and a good first baseman, so I think you'll see more of Cabrera moving to third than Martinez catching in the future.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

tatankatonk posted:

I was going to see if he would drop to round 5 since I was originally targeting Desmond, but once Wieters went, that pretty much forced me to move him up.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
There are a couple guys I am stunned haven't been chosen yet.

If consultation is allowed, then just PM me and I'll help.

Jubs fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 19, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mr. Cool rear end posted:

Well they've only played 5 games in NL parks, so that's a pretty good percentage! But realistically, Martinez is a bad catcher and a good first baseman, so I think you'll see more of Cabrera moving to third than Martinez catching in the future.

You could stick him at catcher and it's a reasonable move so it's enough for me. He will be terrible defensively but you'd expect he'd be a pretty good to really good offensive catcher.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

tatankatonk posted:

Lucroy is the guy who I was talking about being the best pick of the draft, he's amazing.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mornacale posted:

Lucroy is the guy who I was talking about being the best pick of the draft, he's amazing.

Does OOTP care about pitch framing?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Pander posted:

No per se, but I'm guessing a good framing catcher gets a boost in the Catcher Ability rating.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Cespedes finally picked. Was hoping he'd come back around

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm kinda mad at myself for forgetting about CORE STRENGTH.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

I had this insane notion that the last guy picked mighta fallen to me.

Sigh. I must have been on drugs or something.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Eh, I probably shouldn't have taken Josh over some pitching, but he grew up like 20 miles from my house, so I kinda had to. Besides, now I have all of the bats.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Besides, now I have all of the bats.

Bautista was taken by Philly though :confused:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Pander posted:

Yeah, that's why I added that edit that it might not show up in the game. He's elite defensively even without it, but he'll probably be undervalued in the sim.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Yeah I too was thinking about Lucroy from the beginning, though I didn't suspect he'd be gone this early.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

If I remember correctly, he slid all the way into the 9th round in the one we did 2 yeas ago. I was at the point that if he had slipped to me in that round I would have taken him anyway despite having taken Posey with my 1st rounder.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Infidel Castro posted:

If I remember correctly, he slid all the way into the 9th round in the one we did 2 yeas ago. I was at the point that if he had slipped to me in that round I would have taken him anyway despite having taken Posey with my 1st rounder.

Didn't you take Longoria?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Didn't you take Longoria?

This year I did. In the 2012 one we did I took Posey at #17 overall.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

So out of curiosity are we just going to sim this all at once or in chunks of some degree?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Carpenter was already selected by St Louis. Try again Washington.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I totally see how that could happen, though, since someone looking for him under 2B might want to play him as a 3B, and vice versa.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

FairGame posted:

I totally see how that could happen, though, since someone looking for him under 2B might want to play him as a 3B, and vice versa.

Well he isn't listed on 2nd and was just added as 3rd in the already picked thing so that was probably it.

IcePhoenix posted:

I would generally agree with you, but Carpenter is lited on the "taken players" tab of the doc as a 3B and he drafted him as a 3B.

He is right that Pitt is on the clock, though, since it has now been four hours.

Well he is the last name on there, so I'm pretty sure he was just added by somebody.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 20, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FairGame posted:

I would generally agree with you, but Carpenter is lited on the "taken players" tab of the doc as a 3B and he drafted him as a 3B.

He is right that Pitt is on the clock, though, since it has now been four hours.

I've got three players I'm targeting with my next pick, hopefully one of them drops to me!

(hopefully another drops to me in the sixth! :v:)

e: just a general request: if you gently caress up a pick, please fix your pick in a new post and edit your old one to point to the new post, so the thread shows a new post. Also, if you're calling out someone on a wrong pick, you don't need to edit it out because it's in the "wrong thread," just try not to have like five posts at once calling it :v:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 20, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cespedes was the last player I was dying to get. It's all crap from here as far as I'm concerned. Picking 2 pitchers to start the draft was a terrible move and a thing I knew I would regret.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

tadashi posted:

Cespedes was the last player I was dying to get. It's all crap from here as far as I'm concerned. Picking 2 pitchers to start the draft was a terrible move and a thing I knew I would regret.

Yeah...I felt like it'd be better to load up on premium positions, and then take like #3/#4 pitchers and just hope to outslug/defend people.

It's the colorado way :)

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
ah, I added him to the spreadsheet after I put him in the 3B column. I'll repick and edit.

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 20, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zodiac5000 posted:

ah, I added him to the spreadsheet after I picked him in the 3B column. I'll repick and edit.

I'm never not going to take the opportunity to post things like this FYI

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I do not follow at all, am I whoosh'ing something?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zodiac5000 posted:

I do not follow at all, am I whoosh'ing something?

He's already in the same column you added him to

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

incapable of seeing existing matt carpenters, only adding new ones

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
So very much yes on the whoosh. I don't drink coffee, so I'm going to blame it entirely on me being still sleepy.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Baseball would be better if there were 2 Matt Carpenters

Though for whatever reason 2014 Matt Carpenter has turned into the player I hoped Mike O'Neill might be at the MLB level

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
hey jerkface I was going to draft that punto in the 25th, now my secrets out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

FairGame posted:

Baseball would be better if there were 2 Matt Carpenters

Though for whatever reason 2014 Matt Carpenter has turned into the player I hoped Mike O'Neill might be at the MLB level

I feel I should have first right to draft Matt Carpenter clones.

• Locked thread