Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

a kitten posted:

I'm not going to miss the old dub itself, but I'll admit to being totally nostalgic for the English version of the opening theme song. :allears:

Germany had the best anime openings back in the day.

The German dub also used the Japanese names with the exception of calling Usagi Bunny and pronouncing Ami like it was Amy, so there's never been any localization drama here. Plus we also got the last season over here for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

a cartoon duck posted:

Germany had the best anime openings back in the day.

The German dub also used the Japanese names with the exception of calling Usagi Bunny and pronouncing Ami like it was Amy, so there's never been any localization drama here. Plus we also got the last season over here for what it's worth.

Out of curiosity, how did they handle the starlights? I know there was one dub (Italian?) where they were "replaced by their identical twin sisters" when they transformed.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I don't really remember anymore, but I think at that point they just rolled with it? I do remember they turned Michiru and Haruka into cousins and one of the henchmen in the first season into a woman. I think Fisheyes was turned into a woman too? I don't remember any justification for the Starlights, I just remember being hella confused by them as a kid.

Edit: Actually looking at some German Sailor Moon wiki Haruka and Michiru's relationship was "largely unchanged" from the Japanese original apparently? Like I said, I watched the show as a kid, so my memory's shaky.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 17, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

taichara posted:

Now I need to ask what you mean by this part, because I feel like there's something I should be getting and I'm just not. 'Ronin Warrior'ing it'?

The S and SS dubs had an uncut version made that could sync with the masters pretty easily. The same can't be said for Season 1 and R which would requrire a double disk sku, the same used by Bandai to produce dvds for Ronin Warriors / Yoroiden Samurai Troopers

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

a cartoon duck posted:

Edit: Actually looking at some German Sailor Moon wiki Haruka and Michiru's relationship was "largely unchanged" from the Japanese original apparently? Like I said, I watched the show as a kid, so my memory's shaky.

The Sailor moon wiki I went said that their relationship was "toned down". I suppose that they just rewrote some of the innuendo in Stars, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj0dnoVszfM

A German group sings in English about a Japanese show. The song's catchy.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The first couple episodes are on Hulu and Viz's video is pretty much complete poo poo but the fanbase doesn't really know any better so they seem to love it. Oh well.

viz

dvd

They "remastered" it about as well as the fansub group notorious for loving it up completely. I'm honestly tempted to buy the Italian DVDs at this point.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I'm really holding out hope that they'll maybe turn out okay like the Ranma 1/2 BDs.

This seems mostly typical of video releases of shows on streaming services. Red Balance is almost always way off.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I've been told Viz's Ranma BDs look worse then the JP ones, so uh.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

aers posted:

I've been told Viz's Ranma BDs look worse then the JP ones, so uh.

They look fine honestly. If they look worse its not really a super big deal, nothing looks over-saturated or anything. Though a direct comparison would show any video problems.

Anyway, Looking at the SMC fansub release of the first episode. It looks nearly identical to the version posted on Hulu.

SMC Fansub for comparison

And to be fair, at least they won't butcher the image like Funimation did for the DBZ Blu-rays.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

The pre-episode previews are missing. :argh:

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Not happy to see what they've done to the video quality here. The R2 DVD looks better. It's not like they ruined the video, but it does make it that much harder to justify buying a 200 episode series on disc at whatever they price it at (likely high considering the dub).

Does anyone know anything about the Dynit (Italian) DVDs? I'm kind of surprised that for something as popular as Sailor Moon, there isn't a lot of information or samples from them. This comparison shot (their own) makes them look quite a bit better than the R2 DVDs, and I've heard they've done some discs in the past that look better than their Japanese counterparts.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Dynit's release is the best available quality.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I can't vouch for the Sailor Moon DVDs, but I have a couple of Dynit releases of other series and they are absolutely top-notch.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Do the Italian DVDs have English Subs?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

No.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

That kind of defeats the purpose.

Better quality picture or not. I can't really watch a series if I can't at least read what people are saying. I can get by on context clues and stuff at times, but I'd rather have subtitles or an english dub over crisper video.

How did Italy end up getting better quality materials than Japan anyway?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Dynit got the same exact material Viz did (the Japanese DVD masters), they just treated it better.

I'm pretty sure Viz got given the color keys (iirc the interview mentioned this), realized that the Japanese DVDs have faded colors, and decided to fix it. Which is OK!... except you can't just magically fix something like that, and they went overboard with the filtering.

http://www.luna-art.com/cels/sm1228origser.htm

Here's a cel from the opening. Note that the yellow is far closer to what Viz is putting out then the DVDs, so they were clearly trying to correct, but there's only so much you can do.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
IT STARTS

http://nangbaby.com/post/86155385443/sailor-moon-boycott

Whiny Fangirl posted:

As a normal person, I have no powers against this blatant disenfranchisement and marginalization except that of my limited wallet, and I will say this. From this day forward I will not pay for an official piece of Sailor Moon material released from this date forward. I am boycotting Sailor Moon for the actions of Naoko Takeuchi — make no mistake Viz and Toei Animation are culpable as well, but in their defense, they are transparent in that they make the real culprit clear — the woman who authored the manga that inspired the anime and now has taken over the inspired creation. Except for the projects I have previously pledged my support (such as Moon Animate Make Up, David Parisky’s Sailor Moon the Movie, Sailor Moon Solar SailorS, Dead Moon Circus, and such), any mention of Sailor Moon will have the staunch declaration of this boycott.

However, while Viz may not have much say in how to adapt Sailor Moon, they still have the license and will still profit from this censorship. Consequently, I will buy no more manga collections or anime licensed by Viz either. There are numerous collections of mine that will remain incomplete as of this moment. If Viz supports Naoko Takeuchi’s prejudice, discrimination, and bullying of fans who supported her work, then I cannot in good conscience give such a company money.

I know my action alone is meaningless, but I encourage others to not pay and not give anything official any more time. It’s not enough to complain. We have to take the power away from them that we gave them to redress this wrong.

Sailor Moon CX will no longer update. As much as I would love to finish the story in a “Take That” no one reads it and no one cares, so I am abandoning it. I won’t burden people with my presence much longer.

HOW DARE NAOKO WANT HER ORIGINAL ON THE AIR INSTEAD OF MY TERRIBLE DiC SUBS THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! ERASURE!

This is amazing i love everything about this post :allears:

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Phuzzy posted:

IT STARTS

http://nangbaby.com/post/86155385443/sailor-moon-boycott

HOW DARE NAOKO WANT HER ORIGINAL ON THE AIR INSTEAD OF MY TERRIBLE DiC SUBS THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! ERASURE!

This is amazing i love everything about this post :allears:

Wait she's calling censorship on the *original* works? :psyduck: Are we talking about the same DiC subs here? The ones who turned Uranus and Neptune into cousins and left in all the innuendo? The one who turned Zoisite into a girl because again, "ew gays?"

Sometimes nostalgia is a terrible thing.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Somebody linked that to me the other day, and I refuse to believe it's actually a real thing somebody wrote. It's extremely confusing. :psyduck:

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Mercury Crusader posted:

Somebody linked that to me the other day, and I refuse to believe it's actually a real thing somebody wrote. It's extremely confusing. :psyduck:

The reblog comments on it are even more hilarious, I don't think anyone agrees with her at all. I mean, it's as if the lovely DiC version was the original or something. It's bizarro world!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

That's almost as bad as that "fansite" where they only recognize Serena as Sailor Moon's name and refer to Usagi as "The other name." :psyduck:

I can understand nostalgia and stuff but this is like people saying 4Kids One Piece is better than the uncut version.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That's almost as bad as that "fansite" where they only recognize Serena as Sailor Moon's name and refer to Usagi as "The other name." :psyduck:

http://www.wewantserena.com/saying-no-to-the-other-name.html

Behold insanity in it's purest form.

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010
I know of her, she's kind of notorious in the fandom circles for her... let's say "special" opinions. I don't think she's angry because of nostalgia. She genuinely believes that the DiC/Cloverway dubs were better than the original series and thinks that because they were what America got, we should leave them alone because they were what millions of kids watched and knew. :psyduck: She also thinks anyone who disagrees with her is "silencing" her and contributing to her status as a non-human or some poo poo like that. She's the same one running the We Want Serena site, surprise surprise.

Death Bear fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 20, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

"We use the term 'the other name' because we cannot for the life of us figure out the complexity of crazy foreigner language and we like it English Latin alphabet here thank you very much THEY TOOK OUR DUBS"

I also love the "you can't literally translate Japanese to a Latin alphabet system" even though there are no fewer than three Japanese romanization systems being used that do just that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There was one tweet that she retweeted saying that she preferred Serena to Usagi because "Ooh-saggy" sounds unfeminine.

Good thing that's not how it's pronounced!

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wait, people love the DIC and Cloverway Dub? Serena's Cloverway voice is grating as all hell and DIC had those stupid Sailor Says segments. I really don't understand fangirl logic. I mean, nostalgia makes sense, but why would somebody throw a tantrum over this poo poo? :stare:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Violet_Sky posted:

Wait, people love the DIC and Cloverway Dub? Serena's Cloverway voice is grating as all hell and DIC had those stupid Sailor Says segments. I really don't understand fangirl logic. I mean, nostalgia makes sense, but why would somebody throw a tantrum over this poo poo? :stare:

Because you can't just push lesbians where there were none before! (This is what she actually says)

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

LegionAreI posted:

Wait she's calling censorship on the *original* works? :psyduck: Are we talking about the same DiC subs here? The ones who turned Uranus and Neptune into cousins and left in all the innuendo? The one who turned Zoisite into a girl because again, "ew gays?"

Sometimes nostalgia is a terrible thing.

I was joking with my wife about how in any fandom you will never please everyone, especially the ones that take their fandom to insane levels. Like clinging to the DiC dub and original US release like its the holy grail. It's funny and sad at the same time but not surprising. For all their complaining they'll be spending that hard cash on the disc releases when they come out because their collection must be complete.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Violet_Sky posted:

Uh, Sailor Says is awesome, I learned so much from them

aers
Feb 15, 2012

nangbaby is pretty insane (past experience) and also seems to hate THE GAYS among other things.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
What a load of fruit and nut cases. Sure it's nice to want the old dub but it's old and busted and not the Samurai Pizza Cats dub.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

aers posted:

nangbaby is pretty insane (past experience) and also seems to hate THE GAYS among other things.

But she's okay with kissing cousins? :stare:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Everyone's wrong, only her German dub name "Bunny" is correct because it captures the deep meaningfulness of the Japanese name and delivers it perfectly to Western audiences.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm mad about not getting those dubs either, but that's because I like train wrecks.:)

Still, holy lol. That rant is internet.jpg personified.:allears:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

a cartoon duck posted:

Everyone's wrong, only her German dub name "Bunny" is correct because it captures the deep meaningfulness of the Japanese name and delivers it perfectly to Western audiences.

I'm pretty sure that they called Serena Bunny at some point in the anime. I remember rabbit puns.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

a cartoon duck posted:

Wouldn't a westernized version of the "bunny in the moon" pun be better served by calling her "Manny Moon"?

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Revolver Bunker posted:

But she's okay with kissing cousins? :stare:

Maybe she's from Kentucky? Who knows.

Anyways, as for the streaming of SM, the quality is more or less what I expect from streaming quality on animated shows pre-2000, that said, they could have and should have done better on the quality. Also the music is kind of hosed up at points? I don't know how to describe it, but sometimes it sounds like the music track is being passed through a lovely mic. Maybe it's just my TV (I hope it's not my tv :ohdear:).

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

They called Usagi Bunny in the Tokyopop manga, and I thought it was cute. I'm cool with keeping the Japanese names for the other senshi but with the way Usagi's bunny/rabbit theme is so prominent (Remember in the Live Action, her clothes were almost strictly the Rabby/Bad Rabby brand?) I think calling her Bunny is alright. I never would've have guessed the rabbit connection as a kid, except that I was watching japanese episodes (the first time I saw Chibi Usa, it blew my mind, cause the dub was NOWHERE near those episodes) with my neighbors after the DIC version got me interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

She's called Bunny in the majority of dubs, actually. Off the top of my head, that includes Italian, German, French, (European) Spanish, Catalan, Portuguese... ok, just about everywhere. In Germany they kept everyone's Japanese name except for Usagi, which is pretty funny.

Some exceptions include the dub for Mexico, which used the English dub names with original Japanese surnames ("Serena Tsukino").

• Locked thread