Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I'm still in for Cornerspin. My bike is probably not up for riding all the way down, nor is my schedule set... I have some friends on the way that I want to visit but I'm not sure if I'll be visiting them going to/from NC. I have a hitch on my car if someone needs to tow their bike, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Matthew Bueller posted:

Been away from the forum for a bit. Got a new job 30 miles from my house so I had to buy a commuter bike, because the Land Cruiser tops out at 12MPG while going down hill on the highway.

Picked up a 2014 VSTROM Adventure 650

Nice ride

hot sauce posted:

I think the final head count is 5 going down. I'll send out an email tomorrow, I believe I have everyone's email.

As for the car situation, I'm sure it would be cool if you rode with. I guess HNasty hasn't checked the forums today but he said he has room for more.

Yeah, I have room for 3 people to be comfortable or 4 if you want to get to know each other.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ok so the final headcount is 5: Hnasty, Koruthaiolos, lowcrabdiet, Cheesespawn and me. Having a hard time finding Cheesespawn's email so just chime in on here if you want to call that last spot and get comfy in the car.

Since hnasty is driving it's up to you bud when we roll out, but my vote goes to meeting up somewhere friday mid afternoon and heading out before rush hour hits 95.

lowcrabdiet posted:

I'm still in for Cornerspin. My bike is probably not up for riding all the way down, nor is my schedule set... I have some friends on the way that I want to visit but I'm not sure if I'll be visiting them going to/from NC. I have a hitch on my car if someone needs to tow their bike, though.

If you are possibly stopping along the way, I guess we'll just see you down there then?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Cheesespawn, if you're up for riding I still wouldn't mind doing it. I just don't want to do such a long trip by myself.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
I have a weird schedule so I'll be driving down myself. I'll probably be looking to leave by 6pm.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

hot sauce posted:

If you are possibly stopping along the way, I guess we'll just see you down there then?

Yep, it looks like I'll be driving down Thursday, spending the night with them, and driving the rest of the way on Friday. Is there an email chain to exchange phone numbers?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'm planning to ride out to The Plains/Middleburg on Sunday to visit my mom and ride around over there. If anybody's interested in coming for part of it I'll try to come up with a general timeframe for when I'll be riding.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

lowcrabdiet posted:

Yep, it looks like I'll be driving down Thursday, spending the night with them, and driving the rest of the way on Friday. Is there an email chain to exchange phone numbers?

I think I have everyone's number in my gmail if I search for it. If not just check back in this thread next weekend (there is an SA app) for meeting up.

Koruthaiolos posted:

I'm planning to ride out to The Plains/Middleburg on Sunday to visit my mom and ride around over there. If anybody's interested in coming for part of it I'll try to come up with a general timeframe for when I'll be riding.

I might be out that way tomorrow, depending how my tires are feeling. Still haven't put the new ones on yet

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Anyone else in NC yet?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Me HNasty and koru just arrived. In 229 if you want to come say hey, otherwise we are gonna all meet in lobby for bfast at 7, heading to the track at 730.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Alright well I just took a long shower and am ready for bed. I'm pretty much beat from driving all day so I'll just meet you guys at breakfast tomorrow.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

So how was cornerspin, dudes?

Also, are there any novice track classes locally? Summit point has a lot of advanced stuff, but I can't seem to find anything mentioning a "I have never done poo poo at high speed corner newbie" class.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

M42 posted:

Also, are there any novice track classes locally? Summit point has a lot of advanced stuff, but I can't seem to find anything mentioning a "I have never done poo poo at high speed corner newbie" class.

If you do a NESBA track day they have a decent little one day program they make you go through before they set you loose, also you could pay me, I can be the Burgess to you Rossi.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Oh almost forgot I took some footage of the instruction at Cornerspin, it's sort of like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IfrOq6T5vY

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

So much loving fun and also very helpful. I'm already looking to book another course in September or October of this year. I am catching up at work right now so I don't have time to type out a detailed description, but the video HNasty posted of the instruction is pretty accurate. Aaron (the owner and guy speaking in that vid) would go over a drill with someone showing us how to do it, then break us into groups and work on the drills repeatedly. At about 3pm the track would be open for free riding. Koru has some gopro video of this on Sunday he should be posting sometime soon. We were all so drat tired that a lot of crashes were caught on tape - it's pretty hilarious footage. My legs currently look like a group of people beat me with a baseball bat. On average each person fell like 25 times, but no serious injuries. Also, Dale Quarterley was there to coach on Sunday which was awesome.

Overall it's worth the time and money. I learned a lot and can't wait to hop back on my bike to see how it translates. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures except this one of myself Hnasty took. Most of us were on 100s but there were also 150s available.

I did take some slow mo video on my phone but can't figure out how to upload it.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'm working on editing some video together right now - might not have time to finish it tonight.

But as a teaser, here's HNasty and CheeseSpawn demonstrating CA's strict adherance to ATGATT:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sounds like a blast. I've been putting together a list of classes I want to take in the future (which is why I asked about the track - thanks HNasty for the NESBA thing!) and it looks like cornerspin's getting slapped on there too.

I'm reminded of a phrase I read somewhere in this forum: "riding cupcake"

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Riding Sunday morning, meeting a buddy the Haymarket Sheets at 8 AM, ballers welcome.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

HNasty posted:

Riding Sunday morning, meeting a buddy the Haymarket Sheets at 8 AM, ballers welcome.

Almost forgot, cars and coffee sat morning, 7am if you can get up that early.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

I'm down.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 24, 2014

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
So I'm finally outta my sling and working on regaining full range of motion and muscle strength with physical therapy.

Here's a X-Ray of my injury (I'm on the right, left is what it should look like):

I think I should be able to do some casual rides end of July or early August (after I get a new helmet and handlebars). In the mean time I'll be over at The Firing Range :clint:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Heal up soon buddy!

Till then as the representatives of the rayel society we have a job to do. Lets go find gravel on some of VA's finest roads this weekend. This is my planned route.

A lot of roads I didn't hit with yall last summer cause I was being a dick and not sharing. Get your gear on, because like I found out last sunday it's pretty nasty out there. Let's do it ladies.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

HNasty posted:

If you do a NESBA track day they have a decent little one day program they make you go through before they set you loose, also you could pay me, I can be the Burgess to you Rossi.

NESBA is done dude. Alot of the CRs joined together and made N2 though so that's an option. There was a gif floating around on these forums somewhere of a crash that happened at Beave with N2 this past weekend involving a CR. Apparently some dude in I group decided to pit at the last moment as a CR was passing him on the outside and went off line right into the CR. Bike flipped and hit the guy who was filming a little bit behind them.

My buddy has done a few days with N2 and says that I group has turned into B group...buncha people ham fisting on straights and parking it once they get to a corner causing major traffic.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

schreibs posted:

NESBA is done dude. Alot of the CRs joined together and made N2 though so that's an option. There was a gif floating around on these forums somewhere of a crash that happened at Beave with N2 this past weekend involving a CR. Apparently some dude in I group decided to pit at the last moment as a CR was passing him on the outside and went off line right into the CR. Bike flipped and hit the guy who was filming a little bit behind them.

My buddy has done a few days with N2 and says that I group has turned into B group...buncha people ham fisting on straights and parking it once they get to a corner causing major traffic.

huh, well Nesba used to be good org for track days cause they forced everyone to take that beginner class and they were strict about letting people move up. Oh well. Roger Lyle and Corner Speed are both good track day schools but significantly more $$$

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

HNasty posted:

Heal up soon buddy!

Till then as the representatives of the rayel society we have a job to do. Lets go find gravel on some of VA's finest roads this weekend. This is my planned route.

A lot of roads I didn't hit with yall last summer cause I was being a dick and not sharing. Get your gear on, because like I found out last sunday it's pretty nasty out there. Let's do it ladies.

I should be able to do all day Saturday if that works for you guys.

Also, sorry about not getting any video from Cornerspin yet. My desktop poo poo a brick and I haven't had time to fiddle around getting all the software back up and running. I might just post the whole thing up unedited, but 80% of it is pretty boring.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
We can wait for the edited version as long as you throw some Champs sound bites into the mix

Edit: count me in for riding Saturday too, route looks cool

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Koruthaiolos posted:

I should be able to do all day Saturday if that works for you guys.

Also, sorry about not getting any video from Cornerspin yet. My desktop poo poo a brick and I haven't had time to fiddle around getting all the software back up and running. I might just post the whole thing up unedited, but 80% of it is pretty boring.

Bring the video files on a usb stick, I'll do it.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
Any of you got a aftermarket seat? I have had it and NEED to get a new seat. The stock one on my GS is complete poo poo! I thought I might be able to make it work on longer rides with a sheep skin cover or my old AirHawk but it is so bad I just need to chuck it. (But I will say that the sheep skin cover from Alaska Leather is great. They must have slaughter the cutest, fluffiest little sheep for it.)

Any recommendations? Corbin? Sargent? Touratech? Bill Mayer? John Longo? (The local guy in Rockville that does custom seats). Anyone got one of these?

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

codered11343 posted:

Any of you got a aftermarket seat? I have had it and NEED to get a new seat. The stock one on my GS is complete poo poo! I thought I might be able to make it work on longer rides with a sheep skin cover or my old AirHawk but it is so bad I just need to chuck it. (But I will say that the sheep skin cover from Alaska Leather is great. They must have slaughter the cutest, fluffiest little sheep for it.)

Any recommendations? Corbin? Sargent? Touratech? Bill Mayer? John Longo? (The local guy in Rockville that does custom seats). Anyone got one of these?

I've tried a bunch, including the airhawk and various other gimmicks the only thing that works for me are Seargent seats or the little beads you can lay over your stock seat.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

HNasty posted:

I've tried a bunch, including the airhawk and various other gimmicks the only thing that works for me are Seargent seats or the little beads you can lay over your stock seat.

I have heard good things about Sargent seats. I will look in to them. My only hurtle is I hate the idea of buying a seat without being able to try it out first. I guess I just need to figure out these companies return polices.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Who is coming tomorrow? Yall wanna meet in DC or can you make your way out to Haymarket Sheetz?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'll be there, what time? Sheetz is fine.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Haymarket's fine with me, just let us know what time, I'll probably be up early anyways.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Oh, also, Aaron posted the Cornerspin photos:

Cheesespawn:

HNasty:

Hot Sauce (judging by his wide eyed terror I think he's about to eat it):

lowcrabdiet:

Me:

And while this isn't a goon, I tought this was pretty representative of what the majority of the class was like:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Koruthaiolos posted:

Haymarket's fine with me, just let us know what time, I'll probably be up early anyways.

I'll be realistic and say 9:30 and kickstands up and we're rolling by 10. Plan accordingly

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cool. See you guys at 9:30.

Those pictures are awesome. And you're right, that's definitely my oh poo poo face. Crashed on the first lap Aaron was snapping photos.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Just an fyi, henderson rd is in terrible condition and hampton rd is full of gravel, if any of you are heading out there.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

PREPARE FOR THE WOODSHED!
BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

M42 posted:

Just an fyi, henderson rd is in terrible condition and hampton rd is full of gravel, if any of you are heading out there.
Someone was at Bikes and Breakfast this morning... :cheers:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ha, actually no, I just toodled over on my own in the afternoon. Anyone know if beach mill road is still being repaved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
drat, those pics look like fun. Couldn't make it with you guys, but I've got my own round at Cornerspin scheduled this weekend.

The last couple weeks have been really heavy miles, and would make for awesome DC goon weekend tent and/or cabin camping trips in the future. Maybe early/mid fall time?

* The area south of Rt. 16's "Back of the Dragon", particularly rt 58 through Jefferson National Forest is outstanding riding, and makes for some killer camping. (The back of the dragon was actually the least fun road of this one.)
* Just got home from a white-water rafting trip in WVA, and took the very long scenic route there and back. Great ride through Washington forest, Skyline Drive, and Snowshoe Mountain, as well as a bunch of random WVA mountain roads.

I'll post up the routes if anyone's interested.

• Locked thread