JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

deimos posted:

You can't replace biometrics when they get compromised.

...YET

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I like the way Linux does it. Failed password? Please wait 3 seconds before trying again. It makes brute force attempts impossible for the most part.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth from a large portion of the population if they had to supply their finger prints or retina scan or anything of that nature? Every person you hear bitch about the "gubberment" would flip their poo poo, the armchair libertarians, the far right wing nuts, the far left wing nuts, the illuminati nuts and on and on.

Also most finger print scanners I've encountered suck rear end, my kids daycare has them and I had to get a bypass code, the drat thing would take 10-12 tries every time to read my finger.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Gunjin posted:

Can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth from a large portion of the population if they had to supply their finger prints or retina scan or anything of that nature? Every person you hear bitch about the "gubberment" would flip their poo poo, the armchair libertarians, the far right wing nuts, the far left wing nuts, the illuminati nuts and on and on.

Also most finger print scanners I've encountered suck rear end, my kids daycare has them and I had to get a bypass code, the drat thing would take 10-12 tries every time to read my finger.

We use one for our hourly employees, to track their hours. Most people use their ID/PIN because it won't read their finger print anymore. I'm sure it's partially because we likely bought the cheapest possible solution, but I still don't think they are that reliable.

It stopped reading my finger after I started indoor rock climbing again, as that wears away the grooves. After that, even when I wasn't climbing it still wouldn't read my print except the one week where I had a huge cut down my index finger.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
The only biometrics I've seen that work reliably are those hand shape scanners, no muss, no fuss and they work most of the time.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

BabyFur Denny posted:

I have a dictionary of commonly used phrases that I found on the internet and whose hashes I use to crack passwords. If my dictionary is large enough, I am sure that "mint chocolate chip ice cream" is going to be in there since it is not that uncommon. Same reason why "This is my great password" is not a great password.
Of course all those hashes are also computed with standard replacements and additions (@ instead a, 3 instead e, !1 at the end and so on)

The point that was being made is that "mint chocolate chip ice cream", when encrypted, is just 29 characters that for all you know are random. Even if you guessed "mint" was the first word, you don't know you got the first word right, because you still have 25 characters. As someone pointed out, this isn't a guessing game where someone is going to go "OKAY YOU GOT ME MINT IS THE FIRST WORD, WANNA KEEP GUESSING?"

Even so, you're correct to point out that that password is more vulnerable to a dictionary attack. A password like "correct horse battery staple" (as made famous from the XKCD comic) is more secure.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The thing with biometrics is that it still has to digitize the analog data of your thumbprint or iris pattern or whatever, and what happens if that data is stolen? You gonna change your fingerprint? Or they could just steal the analog data -- Look up fingerprint duplication, it's been shown that a lot of systems can be fooled by rubber casts of fingerprints made from prints lifted from a doorknob or whatever that can be produced for ridiculously cheap.

The advantage of biometrics is that it's basically a longer password that you don't have to remember, but it's not really "more secure" in any meaningful way.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

wintermuteCF posted:

The point that was being made is that "mint chocolate chip ice cream", when encrypted, is just 29 characters that for all you know are random. Even if you guessed "mint" was the first word, you don't know you got the first word right, because you still have 25 characters. As someone pointed out, this isn't a guessing game where someone is going to go "OKAY YOU GOT ME MINT IS THE FIRST WORD, WANNA KEEP GUESSING?"

Even so, you're correct to point out that that password is more vulnerable to a dictionary attack. A password like "correct horse battery staple" (as made famous from the XKCD comic) is more secure.

It's not more secure because its based on chained dictionary words. Are you familiar with the bitcoin concept of brain wallets ? Basically there was a system to create a cryptographic private key from phrases so that you would never have to write down the private key but could reconstruct it from a long phrase. Some enterprising genius was able to clean out lots of people by brute forcing billions of combinations of dictionary words then cleaning out the wallets as soon as anyone put money in them. It was trivial for this person to precompute the private keys using quote files, books , wikipedia etc.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Looking at Biometrics as passwords is a terrible, terrible idea. They should be seen as usernames if anything.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
....forwarded to our entire ~400 person IT dept distribution list from a VP: