Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Baumann posted:

I think its odd that Optimus seems to be separated from the Autobots when we first see him, and in pretty rough shape. Dark of the moon ends with him being pretty much unstoppable, killing two major threats to his power, but something clearly changes in the 4(?) years since that happened. I wonder what happened to change that.

I think the idea is that, at some point, humanity decided 'enough is enough' and started killing all Cybertronians. So, he's probably been on the run and hidden. It makes you wonder if they started hunting down the Autobots before or after they figured out what they were made out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Am I the only one psyched for a new Steve Jablonsky soundtrack?

Anyways, I was thinking. It's interesting how the new Autobot designs seem to be continuing the trend of eschewing the 'car bits and pieces' that were very obvious in the first film. Optimus is still a truck but you wouldn't know that looking at his new design. It's like the Autobots have thrown off all pretext of appearing like cars or trucks in human-form and instead appear like alien soldiers and warriors. I really liked the designs from the first film so, really, I'll miss it.

On the other hand, Lockdown is a fantastic looking design. Black metal with a bright green faceplate, goddamn.

And this is an interesting promotional image for the film...

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
ed: screw it, images too hard for my puny human brain. Nothing to see here

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Milky Moor posted:

Nope, the dude's amazing.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Milky Moor posted:

Anyways, I was thinking. It's interesting how the new Autobot designs seem to be continuing the trend of eschewing the 'car bits and pieces' that were very obvious in the first film. Optimus is still a truck but you wouldn't know that looking at his new design. It's like the Autobots have thrown off all pretext of appearing like cars or trucks in human-form and instead appear like alien soldiers and warriors. I really liked the designs from the first film so, really, I'll miss it.

To me it looks like they tried to combine the original design with a suit of armor, which makes sense with Optimus riding a dragon and wielding a sword.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Dinobots in the movie have a distinctive "knight" aesthetic in robot mode, too - or at least the toys do.

Oddly, they also all seem to end up with their Dino-mode fore(arms/legs) on or near their hips.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Milky Moor posted:

On the other hand, Lockdown is a fantastic looking design. Black metal with a bright green faceplate, goddamn.

And this is an interesting promotional image for the film...

Reminds me of the movie Platoon.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Leospeare posted:

Is it weird that I kinda feel bad for Linkin Park? I can just see them, sitting by the phone, asking each other, "Have you heard from Bay? Did he call yet?"

No it is not weird because Linkin Park are much better at making music than loving Imagine Dragons.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's some interesting words about Drift's face from a toy review. Emphasis mine.

quote:

...his head is meant to resemble a kabuto of the typical suji-bachi style. His face is... odd. The mengu facemask on a samurai's helmet was often made to resemble oni or other terrifying monsters- Darth Vader's faceplate was inspired by such masks, as was Bludgeon's. Drift's face, especially in his package art, is a robot face designed to look human and goateed and more relateable than many of the faces we've seen on movie Transformers before. The end result of these influences colliding is very Lawnmower Man. With maybe a dash of Transmutate. On the toy, the face skews a little less human, which keeps it from falling facefirst into the Uncanny Valley. What it ends up looking like primarily is a facemask rather than a face.

The face of a monster.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 19, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny Angel posted:

No it is not weird because Linkin Park are much better at making music than loving Imagine Dragons.

Because we're in a thread where we're talking about how awesome Transformers movies are, I feel comfortable saying this: Linkin Park released one of my absolute favorite albums of all time in A Thousand Suns. It's fan-loving-tastic.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Ha ha, you dumb fucker. Multi-year trap sprung.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The MSJ posted:

Here's some interesting words about Drift's face from a toy review. Emphasis mine.

The face of a monster.

That's.... actually really subtle and disturbing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The attention to robot faces in this movie is unsettling.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Jonny Angel posted:

Eeeeeehhhh. I don't hate either of them, but other than both being in Transformers at some point it's kind of an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
God I love the transformers films. As bad as they are (I still need to read the thread PDF), they are exactly what I want it to be and seeing Optimus ride Grimlock only promises me more of the same. :allears:

"NOOOOOO!!"

Baumann posted:

I think its odd that Optimus seems to be separated from the Autobots when we first see him, and in pretty rough shape. Dark of the moon ends with him being pretty much unstoppable, killing two major threats to his power, but something clearly changes in the 4(?) years since that happened. I wonder what happened to change that.

I don't know what it could mean, but could Bay be trying to create a parallel with the first film, with Optimus being lost instead of Megatron?
Well, he already discarded Jetfire and maybe he forgot where he parked his trailer?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

Well, he already discarded Jetfire and maybe he forgot where he parked his trailer?

But he needs that flight tech!

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

That's some suspect photoshopping. I thought it was fake but it's real: https://www.yahoo.com/movies/big-guns-bulging-biceps-and-lots-of-86280085952.html

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I like how the swordgun is breaking Marky Mark's fingers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wade Wilson posted:

I like how the swordgun is breaking Marky Mark's fingers.

He knows more than anyone that no pain, no gain.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Has there been a poster yet with Prime riding Grimlock? Because I need hanging on the wall in my movie room!

edit:

Found it http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/transformers/235547/new-poster-for-transformers-age-of-extinction no where to buy though. :(

mattfl fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 20, 2014

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

But he needs that flight tech!

I love you for finishing my set up. :allears:

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hasbro also owns My Little Pony and Magic the Gathering, so they have a lot of experience on this part.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

That's.... actually really subtle and disturbing.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The attention to robot faces in this movie is unsettling.

I forgot to add that Drift is also described an ex-Decepticon. He's was a Decepticon and is now wearing a monster mask to hide his 'Con face.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The MSJ posted:

I forgot to add that Drift is also described an ex-Decepticon. He's was a Decepticon and is now wearing a monster mask to hide his 'Con face.
Do we know if he's an ex-Decepticon in this too or is that just speculation based on the IDW continuity? He might have been an Autobot all along in Bayverse.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Do we know if he's an ex-Decepticon in this too or is that just speculation based on the IDW continuity? He might have been an Autobot all along in Bayverse.

It's also part of the movie version's official bio.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I guess it's been established that faction is just a choice in the Bayverse, so that's opening up an interesting situation. I wonder if the circumstances of his switch will be mentioned at all or will it just be glossed over?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJ2ldT_cgk

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
That is awesome. The number totally works as well.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

That website URL as cool stuff on it.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I'm really like where this film appears to be heading. Revenge and Moon both struck me as ranging from "meh" to "terrible" from the moment teasers started to trickle out for both. But so far I've been pretty swept up in the marketing for this one. I especially like how they aren't going to gloss over the Transformers turning a major city into a wasteland in the third film.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

Lockdown at the end there. :stare:

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Milky Moor posted:

So are Transformers asylum seekers now?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Corek posted:

So are Transformers asylum seekers now?
Cybertron was ravaged by war... and is uninhabitable now right?

Or was it just straight up destroyed at the end of the last film?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Cybertron was ravaged by war... and is uninhabitable now right?

Or was it just straight up destroyed at the end of the last film?

I thought it being "ravaged by war" was an Optimus Lie? It looks that way when he does his hologram trick in movie 1, but not at all when we actually see it in movie 3.

I can't for the life of me remember what happened to it, though. Probably not destroyed as nobody seemed too broken up about it after the battle. Presumably at least a few autobots wouldn't be happy about destroying their home planet.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Milky Moor posted:

Stop the bots

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Leospeare posted:

I thought it being "ravaged by war" was an Optimus Lie? It looks that way when he does his hologram trick in movie 1, but not at all when we actually see it in movie 3.

I can't for the life of me remember what happened to it, though. Probably not destroyed as nobody seemed too broken up about it after the battle. Presumably at least a few autobots wouldn't be happy about destroying their home planet.

It looks like it's collapsing in on itself during the climax of the third film. However, that could easily be said to be spacebridge magics and it might be fine. They could go either way, really.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Due to the World Cup, the movie's release is being rescheduled in certain countries.

http://apps.paramountpictures.com/movie/transformers/releasedates/release-dates.html

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
So I saw the trailer for this when I was in the theater today for Edge of Tomorrow.

And dear god, Nicola Peltz looks so awful in this*. I mean, I know that this is a Michael Bay film, and she's a Michael Bay female lead character, so it's a given that she's not going to have anything to do besides look pretty, gape horrified at the camera, and need to be rescued five to a hundred times. But man, Peltz couldn't even pull that off.

There's also this part in the trailer where she's kissing her love interest and I thought that was her dad. Yikes.

*Not to single the female lead out, since it's a fair bet that the male actors are also going to be awful.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Well sure, Mark Walhberg is in it, of course it'll be horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Nicola Peltz, primarily known for The Last Airbender