Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
Are there any other alternatives to "free guild website setups" to Enjin? Haven't really seen a great alternative other than roll-your-own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

blueberrysmith posted:

Are there any other alternatives to "free guild website setups" to Enjin? Haven't really seen a great alternative other than roll-your-own.

I looked at Guildwork, but it was clanky as hell and was primarily for FFXIV/FFXI guilds from the looks of all the features

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

blueberrysmith posted:

I know a guild on WoW that runs their stuff through a private invite only subreddit but the lack of topic subdivision means you need a ton of stickies and the layout's kinda weird.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Zvim posted:

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, 200ms is... optimistic. It can be hit or miss depending on the game/company, for some reason I don't know if WoW servers ran in budget off-peak mode but everyone in my WoW guild irrespective of location or ISP had horrendous inconsistency and spiky lag during raids.

It used to take us a lot longer to learn to do fights and the worst ones were heavy telegraphed events where your position the client thinks you are at differs significantly to the server. Unless they can keep pings low it is going to sound horrible.

In other strange news, can get 20ms speed playing Diablo 3 for a game they don't charge to play. Drives me crazy trying to figure out gaming companies, they cry poor for subscription games you pay a lot to play and get second rate service and give you the world for a box only game.

Lets hope Carbine/NCSoft is a better service.

NCsoft isn't better. NCsoft has only ever had 1 US datacenter in Texas, which obviously kind of sucks for Oceanic players vs west. The "we might add Oceanic servers eventually" stuff from Carbine is complete bullshit, they know that Ncsoft won't ever do such a thing.

I played beta a lot and PVE is ok, you could definitely do endgame raiding fine if you account for latency a little bit, but pvp feels really awful.

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

Maxmaps posted:

I know a guild on WoW that runs their stuff through a private invite only subreddit but the lack of topic subdivision means you need a ton of stickies and the layout's kinda weird.

Jesus christ what a terrible idea.

I will make something and see how it works with auths etc. It would be good to make that sort of change now before we get too cozy on the current site

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
Arguments about guild-splintering aside, I'm looking forward to playing on the RP server. Unfortunately, I plan on being a big purple grape-ape Draken instead of an Exile, so I can't play with the Gold Knuckles folks. I'm actually pretty excited for the game so far, which is a miracle and a half after my experience with FFXIV.

Allswell
Dec 31, 2008

SlayVus posted:

You have to kill four Espers before the boss activates. Until the Espers die, you have to avoid smoke looking force walls. It was very melee unfriendly. The times I actually got into the inner circle of the Espers I would be forcibly pushed out by invisible damaging walks.

Actually what you are supposed to do is jump over the walls.

I felt really stupid when I figured that out.

Tokaii
Mar 8, 2004

Oldest Goon
July 29, 1942
Can you send mail from one faction to the other or otherwise exchange items between your characters in the two?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I'm 99% sure my first gameplay session will simply be 'Hit 14'. I'll arrive at my housing plot and then be shocked at what class/path/race combo I have picked. I was too focused on my house.
This shouldn't take too long, you can easily get to 14 in under 5 hours.

I want to clarify a couple of things re: classes.

Engineer, Stalker, and Warrior can all tank - but they tank in different ways. Perhaps the broadest way to describe them is as follows:

Engineer is more of an avoidance tank. It has a lot of stuff that can help itself and allies indirectly or directly.
Warrior is more of a resistance/recovery tank. It mostly protects itself, but has some stuff that can help allies directly.
Stalker is a well mixed style of tanking. It has a mix of stuff that indirectly help allies and directly help itself.

Examples-
Engineer: Unsteady Miasma is the first Support resource consumer. This applies a large debuff to enemies in a fairly large area that essentially give any targets these enemies are trying to hit a 25% (or higher) deflect chance. There are a lot of self and ally abilities in the Utility tree (and AMPs), as well.
Warrior: Plasma Wall is the second Support resource consumer. This applies a large resistance buff to the Warrior over the duration of the channel. It also gets Bolstering Strike a 18, which heals the Warrior's shields. There are a few ally and self abilities in the Utility tree.
Stalker: It buffs itself in resistance, recovery, and avoidance. It can also help allied recovery with Bloodthirst. More so, it debuffs enemies - making them take more damage or hit weaker.

Engineer and Warrior tanking abilities are more focused and blatant, while Stalker tanking abilities are more spread out and subtle. Nearly every Stalker Support tree ability has a buff or debuff of some kind attached to it, while Engineers and Warriors get proportionally stronger buffs/debuffs that don't flow quite as well and are more in the Utility tree (longer cooldowns, not damage focused).

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

THE PWNER posted:

NCsoft isn't better. NCsoft has only ever had 1 US datacenter in Texas, which obviously kind of sucks for Oceanic players vs west. The "we might add Oceanic servers eventually" stuff from Carbine is complete bullshit, they know that Ncsoft won't ever do such a thing.

I played beta a lot and PVE is ok, you could definitely do endgame raiding fine if you account for latency a little bit, but pvp feels really awful.

I gotta agree, it took blizzard 2 years to make Aus servers for d3 and that game also really needed them. If it wasn't announced this close to release it's not happening any time soon.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
Yar, servers be up, but realms are down...disappointing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

blueberrysmith posted:

Yar, servers be up.

Not according to my launcher.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

WarLocke posted:

Not according to my launcher.

Yeah, I had them for a brief second and jumped the gun. Can't login now.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You have till the 31st if ya preordered, me heartie. Yarrrrrrr. :yarr:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

blueberrysmith posted:

Yar, servers be up, but realms are down...disappointing.
@Cougardc's tweet:
All the servers are offline today for windows updates, firmware updates and other very boring (but needed) pre-launch prep. #WildStar

(I think he means there's probably nothing going on today.)

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Visidan posted:

I gotta agree, it took blizzard 2 years to make Aus servers for d3 and that game also really needed them. If it wasn't announced this close to release it's not happening any time soon.

Well to be fair, the only MMORPG's I've played that had Aus servers were WAR and SWTOR, and there just weren't enough people playing on them.

I don't expect any dev to have them, unless SEA players are also encouraged to play there, we're not big enough.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Zvim posted:

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, 200ms is... optimistic. It can be hit or miss depending on the game/company, for some reason I don't know if WoW servers ran in budget off-peak mode but everyone in my WoW guild irrespective of location or ISP had horrendous inconsistency and spiky lag during raids.

It used to take us a lot longer to learn to do fights and the worst ones were heavy telegraphed events where your position the client thinks you are at differs significantly to the server. Unless they can keep pings low it is going to sound horrible.

In other strange news, can get 20ms speed playing Diablo 3 for a game they don't charge to play. Drives me crazy trying to figure out gaming companies, they cry poor for subscription games you pay a lot to play and get second rate service and give you the world for a box only game.

Lets hope Carbine/NCSoft is a better service.

Their EU servers seem pretty good. I'm playing from Africa and I get around 170ms with my lovely internet.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Allswell posted:

Actually what you are supposed to do is jump over the walls.

I felt really stupid when I figured that out.

I tried that a few times unsuccessfully, maybe it was graphic settings being a little too low to properly gauge it or latency.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Evil_Greven posted:

Nearly every Stalker Support tree ability has a buff or debuff of some kind attached to it.

How far off would I be if I equated a stalker to a rogue-tank from Rift? Also, do they overcome their lower base armor with these buffs or do they get a different class ability that makes up for it?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dreadwroth posted:

You have till the 31st if ya preordered, me heartie. Yarrrrrrr. :yarr:
There's going to be sporadic testing from now until headstart. They aren't going to make huge announcements about it, so you have to watch their twitter/facebook for when servers go up.

Personally, I just want to see how polished the game is with this final mega patch they've got in the works.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Rorus Raz posted:

There's going to be sporadic testing from now until headstart. They aren't going to make huge announcements about it, so you have to watch their twitter/facebook for when servers go up.

Personally, I just want to see how polished the game is with this final mega patch they've got in the works.

then don't play the Ops weeks since it's literally "look at the game while we attempt to break it"

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

I managed to grab a nice guild name to troll pubbies with if the Bad Rats guy never comes back around:

I still have it reserved but I don't want to register on that dumb website and do the authentication stuff so I'll just pm doublestep in game on launch day.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Normal Adult Human posted:

I still have it reserved but I don't want to register on that dumb website and do the authentication stuff so I'll just pm doublestep in game on launch day.
We have a way around this, please get in http://chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.synirc.net&channel=%23wildstar and talk to us about it.

edit: fixed stupid IRC link grumble

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 20, 2014

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

Does anyone know how the Eldan hoverboard is going to work for the deluxe edition? Will it be mailed to big spenders for free or will players still have to shell out 25 gold for it? If its free it almost seems worth the money to save 25g per character (unless thats actually a negligible amount of money I don't know I only got to level 16).

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Common Sensei posted:

Does anyone know how the Eldan hoverboard is going to work for the deluxe edition? Will it be mailed to big spenders for free or will players still have to shell out 25 gold for it? If its free it almost seems worth the money to save 25g per character (unless thats actually a negligible amount of money I don't know I only got to level 16).

25g is a negligible amount if you're either maximum level or into playing the Commodity Exchange. Otherwise, you might find it to be a bit difficult to save up from doing PvP/Questing/Etc..

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

a cat on an apple posted:

25g is a negligible amount if you're either maximum level or into playing the Commodity Exchange. Otherwise, you might find it to be a bit difficult to save up from doing PvP/Questing/Etc..

It's a negligible amount if you just sell your random loot rather than breaking it down for crafting.

Edit seriously in two days of open beta I was able to clear at least 50g at level 22, and that was mostly experimenting with what I could sell to vendors.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Normal Adult Human posted:

Please just arrange it now

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's a negligible amount if you just sell your random loot rather than breaking it down for crafting.

Edit seriously in two days of open beta I was able to clear at least 50g at level 22, and that was mostly experimenting with what I could sell to vendors.

At level 8 I found a decorative item drop that sold for 2g. Oh all my skill costs were covered for the remaining couple days of beta after that. :allears:

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

blueberrysmith posted:

Private server like a shared host or colo.

I have both and I'd be willing to donate either shared host space, coding and anything we need for the better of the goonation.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

First time I'm entering a MMO mostly seeking out its PvP potential. Can't wait to join goons in the One True Guild (Dominion PvP hell yes)

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Atoramos posted:

First time I'm entering a MMO mostly seeking out its PvP potential. Can't wait to join goons in the One True Guild (Dominion PvP hell yes)

Shhhhhh Warlocke will hear you :ohdear:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

d3lness posted:

How far off would I be if I equated a stalker to a rogue-tank from Rift? Also, do they overcome their lower base armor with these buffs or do they get a different class ability that makes up for it?
Vaguely... tank classes all have multiple stances similar to Riftstalkers with major tradeoffs - one that increases defense at the cost of damage, and another that increases damage at the cost of defense (and as I recall, stalkers also have a third stance more geared towards movement as a middle ground). To put it in perspective, I had roughly the same damage resistance on my Damage-stance Engineer (heavy armor) as I had on my Medic (medium armor).

Stalkers already have medium armor, so they get only a small reduction in their armor when in damage stance. In their tank stance, they get a big boost to armor, deflection, and threat generation at the cost of a significant reduction in damage. Comparatively, overall defenses are similar to what the Warrior and Engineer get in this stance, though it's spread to deflection rather than health (Engineer) or shield (Warrior). It's kind of a hybridization between Bard buffs/debuffs and Riftstalker, where the buffs only apply to the Stalker (save for Bloodthirst) and both buffs and debuffs are applied while stabbing people in the face.

An elaboration on mechanics:
There's no block or parry mechanic in WildStar; everyone can deflect and deflect is more analogous to evasion. Also, there's no absorption ratio; if you deflect an attack, it's 100% damage mitigation. This can make AoE attacks evaporate entirely (hits from Mortar Strike and Unsteady Miasma are good examples of this), which is in my opinion dumb. Armor is fairly simplified: it adds damage resistance to all three damage types (magic, tech, physical) based on a level vs. armor (the total sum, not the type of armor - heavier armor just has larger armor values) ratio. I'm not sure of the exact number ratios for this. Shields can be thought of as a partial extension (base: 50% mitigation) of health; strikethrough sends some additional percentage of damage through shields and to the health bar.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Thanks for answering my questions about healing classes from yesterday. Following on from that and the discussion about latency, did any of you guys from Australia (or EU people playing on US servers) get a chance to do any adventures/dungeons in the open beta? I'm in central Australia and the US data centre is in Texas so I'm going to be looking at ~250-300ms latency at best so I'm somewhat concerned about telegraphs and being able to actually avoid them.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
I made a bunch of banner ads if anyone wants to buy an ad for this thread/wildstar.

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

badr posted:

Private server like a shared host or colo.

I have both and I'd be willing to donate either shared host space, coding and anything we need for the better of the goonation.

Pm'd you

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
What the hell is this slurp slurp stuff. I feel like I'm missing something.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Rhymenoserous posted:

What the hell is this slurp slurp stuff. I feel like I'm missing something.

Warlocke's original BRT said he sucked off Bioware and ended with *slurp slurp*.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
But why? Bioware has gone down the shithole.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Leaked image of a 15v15 battleground queued for post-launch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
warloke is a retarded carebear but he did manage to outshit this thread

• Locked thread