Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
This wiki also gives the Chloranthy rings as 12.5/20/25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

And what kind of testing was that

The same as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmyE73Pzx9M. It's not like it's hard to do?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Is there a timeout for loading screens on invasions or do I have to force quit because the matchmaking said "Yeah that connection looks good and not at all horseshit"?

EDIT: oh there it goes, it only took about five minutes.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 20, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fuzz posted:

This fight pissed me off. Go in seeing that it's clearly the second Old Lord Soul fight and he has this huge scary intro and then he's completely non-threatening and a pushover. Hands down the most disappointing boss fight in the whole game, for me.

The first thing I thought of when I saw him was the Dragon God from Demon's Souls. As such, I was very impressed by the Iron King not being a terrible gimmick boss and instead actually being a fight. Of course, every time after the initial fight I've killed him before he could even reach the platform but even that hasn't been enough to make the fight worse than Dragon God.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He's an easy boss but I still manage to routinely get my dumb rear end uppercut into that lovely little lava pit in the center of the arena.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Fuzz posted:

To clarify: your reading skills suck and no one is saying it's a hard fight. I'm simply saying if you were going pure melee with the wrong kind of weapon, it's pretty conceivable that you might have trouble with the fight. Sorry I forgot that these threads always end up being aggressive dickmeasuring chat where if someone has difficulty they get berated and told they suck.

Sorry buddy, no matter how you qualify it, it's a joke fight and you should feel ashamed for dying to it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"You should feel personal shame for not being good at this video game!"

- A well liked and popular individual

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Manatee Cannon posted:

The first thing I thought of when I saw him was the Dragon God from Demon's Souls. As such, I was very impressed by the Iron King not being a terrible gimmick boss and instead actually being a fight. Of course, every time after the initial fight I've killed him before he could even reach the platform but even that hasn't been enough to make the fight worse than Dragon God.

Yeah, seriously. First I thought "Ugh, dumb gimmick."

Then he actually started to fight me and I thought, "Oh, maybe I bypassed the gimmick by pulling that lever to turn off the traps? Oh god is he gonna turn into Flamelurker, fuuuuu-"

:what:

"Wait... that was it? That can't be right."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I thought Freja was really hard my first few tries. Then suddenly something happened and I beat her without getting hit. Wild. Guess it's time to use the key and figure out what that other bonfire in Tseldora is for...? (And how to actually get to it.)

Oh also while being summoned in this area I saw a gravestone or something in the area where Pate and Creighton were fighting. It's not there in my game. Anyone know what the deal with that is?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
First time I went into Old Iron King, he punted me straight into the lava. I learned my lesson and decided to take up a safer position near the fog, and that never happened again. But just like me, I guess a lot of people end their first encounter face down in the lava. Other times though, he just kind of sits there and lets you lightning spear him in the face over and over... it's strange.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

My favorite encounter with Old Iron King is sunbroing for shits and giggles. As soon as the fight started I, the host, and the other sunbro all started the cast for Sunlight Spear. And then the fight ended.

Praise the sun. :v:

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

Huh. Is there a difference between it and Ironclad Armor?

I've been told that the Jester's Gear simply negates the damage--you can still get backstabbed but it does nothing (or no more than a regular attack). The Ironclad Armor, on the other hand, supposedly stops even the backstab animation, so that they're left just swinging at your butt.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

First time I went into Old Iron King, he punted me straight into the lava. I learned my lesson and decided to take up a safer position near the fog, and that never happened again. But just like me, I guess a lot of people end their first encounter face down in the lava. Other times though, he just kind of sits there and lets you lightning spear him in the face over and over... it's strange.

He might have been just a tad more threatening if you couldn't hide from 90% of his fire breath around the corner of the wall.

He should probably also attack a lot faster. He's sooooo slow, you have the opportunity to hit him a half dozen times for every move. Works alright for a ceaseless discharge fight, it's silly for an Old Soul fight.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Are we now shaming people for dying in Dark Souls 2. A game pretty much defined by dying repeatedly and in silly ways?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I've been playing like Gandalf: sword in one hand, staff in the other, and falling off things a lot.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

First time I went into Old Iron King, he punted me straight into the lava. I learned my lesson and decided to take up a safer position near the fog, and that never happened again. But just like me, I guess a lot of people end their first encounter face down in the lava.
Yeah he's not a hard fight per se, but you can do some basic, stupid things and die instantly.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Chomp8645 posted:

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/chloranthy-ring

Unless this page is incorrect it's even more marginal than that, just a paltry 3.5% extra stamina regen from the base ring. Even the +1 ring from the shaded woods is only 5.5%.

I don't think From Software gets the idea of incremental balance. It just seems like whatever was strong in the previous franchise iteration they nerf into oblivion, while whatever was useless gets raised to god tier.

Don't use the wikis, they are almost always wrong. Ask a friend or use the character builders.

That page, for instance, is quite wrong! It's 12.5/20/25, not 3.5/5.5/8.5.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Colapops posted:

I've been told that the Jester's Gear simply negates the damage--you can still get backstabbed but it does nothing (or no more than a regular attack). The Ironclad Armor, on the other hand, supposedly stops even the backstab animation, so that they're left just swinging at your butt.

Now I have to grab someone and test this, because from what I can tell they call the same backstab negator buff.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I thought Freja was really hard my first few tries. Then suddenly something happened and I beat her without getting hit. Wild. Guess it's time to use the key and figure out what that other bonfire in Tseldora is for...? (And how to actually get to it.)

Oh also while being summoned in this area I saw a gravestone or something in the area where Pate and Creighton were fighting. It's not there in my game. Anyone know what the deal with that is?

That might have happened because the host didn't get the killing blow on one of them, so they counted as dying like regular NPCs? Dunno.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I died to Freja twice but didn't notice the second bonfire after Prowling Magus until that last attempt. :saddowns:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The distance between the two bonfires to Freja is basically identical. I'm not even sure why that second bonfire exists. It makes getting to Ornifex slightly easier I guess, but then why not just put Ornifex next to the bonfire.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

I tested it the other night and that jester piece shouldn't allow you to get backstabbed unless some really weird stuff was going on.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ice Fist posted:

Are we now shaming people for dying in Dark Souls 2. A game pretty much defined by dying repeatedly and in silly ways?

Not if you're kazil, man. Every playthrough of a Souls game is a no deaths run for that guy. His motto is, "No deaths? No problem." :shepface:

Internet Kraken posted:

The distance between the two bonfires to Freja is basically identical. I'm not even sure why that second bonfire exists. It makes getting to Ornifex slightly easier I guess, but then why not just put Ornifex next to the bonfire.

In fact, it's probably faster/easier to go from the second bonfire... you just run down, zipline across, take the door through the cliff to the other area where you end up next to the spider dickbags, jump down and just run straight across the bridge and roll through the doorway, sprint left to aggro the big spider, run around all the other spiders back towards the doorway, then cut back and run straight to the ladder and up. It takes less than a minute and is risk free.

Conversely, if you go the other route you need to get through that room with the spiders and the one mage without getting hit, and randomly the stupid door will close and you can get hit by the spider's pounce as you're opening it. Totally not worth the extra effort.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 20, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I think at one point they just smashed bonfires in without really thinking about it.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Jose posted:

I've had a few people summon me only to instantly send me back in Undead Crypt and nowhere else in the game. Its strange

This is a special case I felt like addressing directly. You will see this happen in the crypt more often than anywhere else. For the Vendrick fight, it's bugged when counting the number of Giant's Souls in your inventory, it also includes your allies' as well! So people that didn't farm the Big Bad Dragon summon phantoms in hopes of getting the fifth one to count for the Vendrick fight. ;) (Caps at 5, obviously.)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Uh, no, I'm talking about the second bonfire. The one right after Magus to the left of the stairs. I was walking from the camp to the boss arena, which is decidedly not the same distance as from the other two.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

Uh, no, I'm talking about the second bonfire. The one right after Magus to the left of the stairs. I was walking from the camp to the boss arena, which is decidedly not the same distance as from the other two.

I still get lost if I spawn at the third bonfire and do anything besides head to Ornifex. That little valley is such a weird area.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kaldaris posted:

This is a special case I felt like addressing directly. You will see this happen in the crypt more often than anywhere else. For the Vendrick fight, it's bugged when counting the number of Giant's Souls in your inventory, it also includes your allies' as well! So people that didn't farm the Big Bad Dragon summon phantoms in hopes of getting the fifth one to count for the Vendrick fight. ;) (Caps at 5, obviously.)

You can summon phantoms for Vendrick?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I died to the Prowling Magus fight first and second time. First time I rolled into a water pot and got oneshotted by a lightning spear. Second time I got overwhelmed by crawling dudes and my weapon could not reach them due to hit box issues.

No shame as far as I'm concerned. I still like the boss fight just for the fact that half the people I've summoned for it have just cast scraps of life or soul appease and wiped everyone out in seconds.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Nope.

Brightcove is such a weird area. There are a couple of spots where you progress and simply can't work your way back and the bonfires are spaced really weird. Definitely one of the worst zones in game for me.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

That's the point, you can't, but if you summon them before the fight and send them back the game glitches and counts the souls of the phantoms too, even if they aren't present anymore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

VisAbsoluta posted:

That's the point, you can't, but if you summon them before the fight and send them back the game glitches and counts the souls of the phantoms too, even if they aren't present anymore.

Oh I see, I misread what he was saying.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So yeah the lower bonfire in the Cove is completely pointless. I missed the route to it when I was exploring earlier, so I assumed it was a shortcut or something you find later in the level. It's literally just down from the top one, and you can't easily get to the boss from down there anyway so I don't know why it exists. Of course I don't even have Ornifex since the stupid basilisks killed her so maybe that's it.

Whatever, the Cove's done and dusted. All that's left now is the Gutter.

About how much of the game is left after the four great souls?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Regy Rusty posted:

So yeah the lower bonfire in the Cove is completely pointless. I missed the route to it when I was exploring earlier, so I assumed it was a shortcut or something you find later in the level. It's literally just down from the top one, and you can't easily get to the boss from down there anyway so I don't know why it exists. Of course I don't even have Ornifex since the stupid basilisks killed her so maybe that's it.

Whatever, the Cove's done and dusted. All that's left now is the Gutter.

About how much of the game is left after the four great souls?

Maybe 15-20% of the game remains. It's not a lot.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

To be fair, Brightstone is the area of the game I dislike the most purely because of the parts after Magus.

Also, gently caress the spiders that hit like a loving truck in NG+ and beyond.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Maybe 15-20% of the game remains. It's not a lot.

I'd say it's more like 33%. You have Drangleic Castle, Amana and Crypts. After you get the ring you then have Aldia's Keep, Dragon Aeire and Dragon Shrine. After that, you have the Giant memories and Throne of Want fights.

There's plenty of game to go.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

kazil posted:

I'd say it's more like 33%. You have Drangleic Castle, Amana and Crypts. After you get the ring you then have Aldia's Keep, Dragon Aeire and Dragon Shrine. After that, you have the Giant memories and Throne of Want fights.

There's plenty of game to go.

You're being far too generous.

Aldia's Keep, the Dragon Aerie, the Dragon Shrine, the Memories, and the Throne of Want are all tiny tiny areas.

The Dragon Aerie literally only has two actual fights in it

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

VisAbsoluta posted:

Also, gently caress the spiders that hit like a loving truck in NG+ and beyond.

I'm a little confused as to why instead of making the spiders and stinger-dudes inflict poison, they decided to make them hit like a pile of bricks. :confused:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

You're being far too generous.

Aldia's Keep, the Dragon Aerie, the Dragon Shrine, the Memories, and the Throne of Want are all tiny tiny areas.

The Dragon Aerie literally only has two actual fights in it

True, but the first three areas are pretty good sized. Also, DA has 3 dragon fights!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So I've gotten three out of the four great souls I've been told to get and finally got an ember for this smith. What's the general opinion on infusions? If I'm going for a "find the biggest weapons and smash faces with them" build with 33 str/20 dex should I bother infusing my +10 Greatsword with anything? Is it basically like how in DS1 splitting your damage was a bad idea generally because defenses applied twice?

Also I'm really pissed I wasted all my petrified dragon bones on stupid poo poo I'll never use before finding out that the bone scythe exists and is a str based reaper. I really wanted to use a reaper weapon but focusing on str meant the couple dex ones I found would only ever be barely be half as good as my huge fuckoff greatsword/hammer collection (while breaking much easier for some reason).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

kazil posted:

True, but the first three areas are pretty good sized. Also, DA has 3 dragon fights!

Zero dragon fights you loving racist. Wyverns