Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

nsaP posted:

'Merica.

It's Kentucky.
Ah Kentucky, it's like a slightly more F'ed up Tennessee.

I got to do a panic stop on the bike yesterday when I was headed home. Come around the corner and there is a goat sleeping in the middle of the road. Best part the goat is a pet and chained to the back bumper of a car falling apart in the driveway, chain was just long enough to let the thing wander into the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Uthor posted:

Vegas was the only place I've seen someone dragging a gas stations' pump hose behind their car with my own eyes.

I am ashamed to admit I nearly pulled this stunt one night. Luckily the nozzle whipped out of the filler neck and banged on the ground. The clerks at that gas station (who I know pretty well) laughed their asses off as I sheepishly got out of the car to replace the nozzle.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Funny it's actually Kentucky, where at? I know a couple fun roads that look just like that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

This poo poo happens all the time in New Mexico with all the drunks. I figure I can deal with lots of stuff on the interstate but wrong-way drivers are my biggest fear. The only advice I've heard of is "move to the right" since drunks and the elderly tend to stay on their right side of the road and will correct that way if they see someone coming at them, but what if they're drunk *and* an rear end in a top hat (redundant I guess)?

They really should put spikes on off-ramps, I don't care how much it costs to maintain.

We had this happen the other night, some drunk rear end in a top hat got in his Suburban by finding his spare keys after his sons hid the regular ones from him. Drove thirty five loving miles the wrong way on freeways before getting on a one-lane flyover ramp that normally takes you from US60 Eastbound HOV to I10 Eastbound HOV - tall walls and no visibility around the corner.

Creamed an off-duty police officer head on, killed them both. :smith:

I really like your spike idea.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

They tried the spikes on a couple off-ramps here as a test. They were supposed to fold down when driven over the correct way, but it all got hosed up during the winter and people got their tires slashed as they were coming off the motorway. Not exactly a rousing success.

I've only met a wrong-way driver once. It was pretty dark out, and I could see a set of headlights in the distance that definitely seemed like they were in the wrong location compared to traffic going the other way. Then, all the cars in front of me started moving to the left lane.

This made sense a few seconds later, as a white van came barrelling down the emergency lane, with a police car in hot pursuit. I was going ~110kph, and estimating from our closing speed, he was doing at least 150kph. Proper scary, that was.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

At a light yesterday with a Yukon XL in front of me and a bicyclist in front of the Yukon. Light turns green, cars start to move, all of a sudden the Yukon slams its brakes on and I see the cyclist picking himself up off the ground. I was afraid that the Yukon may have clipped him or something, as he hobbled to the side of the road and sat on the grass to recover. Nope, no one hit him, his bike was just too tall for him or something and he ate poo poo when he tried to get going.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Nope, no one hit him, his bike was just too tall for him or something and he ate poo poo when he tried to get going.

Maybe he thought the best time to learn to ride with clipless pedals was in traffic.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I work from home now so I don't have to deal with idiots on the road, but I've got a police scanner setup in my office, and the sheer volume of road rage calls is absolutely baffling. I hear at least one road rage call per day involving a firearm.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Had a very very close call when a lady in the right lane decided that she had to make the left hand turn RIGHT loving NOW. I was going about 40 [correction] in the left lane, she was in the right lane when she suddenly decided to swerve into my lane without signalling. I wasn't riding her blindspot, but I was maybe less than a car length behind her. She definitely knew I was there. She swerved into my lane, I laid on the horn, she swerved back into her lane and then barreled right back into my lane and into the turn lane next to me. I did an mspaint thing:

She risked a lot because she needed to turn right loving there.

edit: google maps picture

No idea where else she would have turned left or anything.

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 21, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I had a similar situation happen to me the other day. I was overtaking a semi while simultaneously being overtaken by another car to my left. Suddenly the truck driver decides that he wants to change lanes into the lane I'm currently occupying, since the rightmost two lanes split off to the north, and the remaining three lanes continue east.

Cue me laying on my horn while jamming the brakes so I could dash behind the car that was overtaking me. Then, when I got ahead of the truck again, he laid on his air-horn and the highbeams, as if I had done something wrong.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I had a similar situation happen to me the other day. I was overtaking a semi while simultaneously being overtaken by another car to my left. Suddenly the truck driver decides that he wants to change lanes into the lane I'm currently occupying, since the rightmost two lanes split off to the north, and the remaining three lanes continue east.

Cue me laying on my horn while jamming the brakes so I could dash behind the car that was overtaking me. Then, when I got ahead of the truck again, he laid on his air-horn and the highbeams, as if I had done something wrong.

Don't you know big trucks and Hummers own the road?? :colbert:

I had my car halfway backed out of a parking spot near my mailbox in my apartment complex when an H3 came blasting around the corner with the horn blowing and came within inches of hitting my car. Ironically, about 100 ft later I found this same "hummer" parked dead center in the traffic lane.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

KozmoNaut posted:

I would have called that in. Police don't put up with an ounce of poo poo from truck drivers, and aggressive behavior has no place behind the wheel of a 40-ton truck.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
My first dashcam footage is up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZaI2EhtOSM

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You're the person we share the road with.

"This guy is changing lanes in front of me as I drive slower than traffic omg WHAT A CRAZY DRIVER!!!"

"This guy is stopping in the lane 5+ car lengths ahead of me on a wide open two lane road, I should stop behind him and see what he does ... omg WHAT A CRAZY DRIVER!!!"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Krakkles posted:

You're the person we share the road with.

"This guy is changing lanes in front of me as I drive slower than traffic omg WHAT A CRAZY DRIVER!!!"

"This guy is stopping in the lane 5+ car lengths ahead of me on a wide open two lane road, I should stop behind him and see what he does ... omg WHAT A CRAZY DRIVER!!!"
"Oh no, someone changed lanes when there was space to do so. They're cutting in line!"
"Someone made a right turn at a stop sign after coming to a complete stop. They even signaled their turn! SO CRAZY!"
"Multiple people are passing me. It can't be that I'm going too slow for the lane I'm in, they must be crazy speed demons. :downs:"

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

revmoo posted:

I would have called that in. Police don't put up with an ounce of poo poo from truck drivers, and aggressive behavior has no place behind the wheel of a 40-ton truck.

If only they'd pay the same attention to aggressive drivers tailgating trucks, cutting them off before a stop, pacing them in their blind spot for 20 miles...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hey, feel free to stop at red lights and stop signs before you actually go again.
You are the person we share the road with. :argh:

exempt
Dec 10, 2006
I think this thread has proven that when you put this many people on the road, everyone is that person we share the road with sooner or later. And I'll also guarantee that every singe person we've talked about will gladly and happily participate in is conversation.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I know when I'm in a bad mood, I drive like a complete dick. Speeding, cutting in and out of traffic, riding people's asses.

I'm not proud of it, but I admit I can be an rear end in a top hat driver.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I passed on the shoulder on the I-15 in the middle of the Mojave desert on a long straight because two morons decided to go side-by-side at 70 mph and hold up ~20 cars behind them/me.

I also gave them the finger out the window. :D

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 15, 2018

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm guilty of not letting people in, unless they signal. Because I know on my usual route to and from work where people wait until the last minute to get in. And I have no problem letting you in as long as you're familiar with that little control stem on the side of your steering wheel, and specifically what it does when you move it up or down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I'm guilty of not letting people in, unless they signal. Because I know on my usual route to and from work where people wait until the last minute to get in. And I have no problem letting you in as long as you're familiar with that little control stem on the side of your steering wheel, and specifically what it does when you move it up or down.

I'm the passive aggressive rear end in a top hat driver, if I'm in the merging lane I drive exactly at the speed limit and build up a collection of lead foots behind me who were hoping to sneak ahead a bit.

Nothing pisses people off more than going the speed limit, it's great.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

And that's where this thread keeps looping back around - the guy who comes in and says "WELL I WAS FOLLOWING THE RULES to piss people off on purpose SO I WAS RIGHT AND THEY WERE WRONG."

If you know it's passive aggressive, and you know it's only serving to piss people off, knock it the hell off.

Roads are not your playground, they are not there so you can take out some passive aggressive control fantasy, and frankly, if you know you have that issue, go get some therapy and save the rest of us from having to deal with it.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 15, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll stop pissing them off when they stop pissing me off. :v:

A guy can tolerate people drifting into their lane only so many times before plotting some retaliation, I think I deserve a little leeway.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

xzzy posted:

I'll stop pissing them off when they stop pissing me off. :v:

A guy can tolerate people drifting into their lane only so many times before plotting some retaliation, I think I deserve a little leeway.
This isn't a zero-sum game, though, and by taking out your anger towards one driver on other drivers, you're making the whole thing worse.

If you want to be a dick to someone who is a dick to you, feel free - it's not safe, and it probably isn't a good idea, but I wouldn't begrudge you the satisfaction.

But don't be a dick to "a collection of lead foots" because one person did something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tha Chodesweller posted:

There's a major road here with a right hand lane that turns into a turning only lane and I find a lot of pleasure in blocking people who try to swerve over at the last second without signalling.

I really hate having to keep an eye on the mirror as I'm going straight because people will try to keep going straight in the turning lane, and I've already been in one accident because of that.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 20, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Krakkles posted:

This isn't a zero-sum game, though, and by taking out your anger towards one driver on other drivers, you're making the whole thing worse.

Nope, the road is just an endless cycle of building rage. It probably only meaningfully declines late at night when the roads are empty.

I'm generally pretty tame and I would assume most of us are, but every once in a while I gotta get my digs in, and setting the cruise control at the speed limit is typically how I do it.

I may or may not use hyperbole when I chat about it on the internet.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This mentality:

xzzy posted:

every once in a while I gotta get my digs in
... is the direct cause of this:

xzzy posted:

Nope, the road is just an endless cycle of building rage.
So good job on being part of the problem.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Had a very very close call when a lady in the right lane decided that she had to make the left hand turn RIGHT loving NOW. I was going about 55 in the left lane,

Then you posted the exact location so we could internet detective you and rat you out for going 55 in a 35. I'm all for speeding but 20 over in a busy urban setting is pretty dangerous. She probably had plenty of room if you were driving sanely. You are the people with which we share the road. On the other hand, as close as you were to that next intersection I think you either made a typo or overestimated your speed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

xzzy posted:

I'm the passive aggressive rear end in a top hat driver, if I'm in the merging lane I drive exactly at the speed limit and build up a collection of lead foots behind me who were hoping to sneak ahead a bit.

Nothing pisses people off more than going the speed limit, it's great.

As long as you aren't doing this in the passing lane, I don't give a poo poo, do the speed limit and gently caress with people, whatever.

If you get all self righteous in the left lane though I am going to pass you on the right, and I am going to put my arm out the window and point to the right after I go past you to indicate that maybe the 30 other people you have riding your rear end would... like to pass as well.

(maybe 10% of clueless fuckheads screwing around in the left lane actually move over when I do this. The rest get passed on the right by another dozen people before they figure out what's up.)

If you're in the middle lane and doing the speed limit I have absolutely no beef with you, even if it means I can't pass the idiot pacing you in the left lane on the right, because you are breaking no law and doing nothing wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cruising in the left lane is an unforgivable sin and people that do it deserve to have their car crushed with them inside it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I hate when I'm stuck behind someone cruising in the left lane and the other lanes are packed and/or even slower so I can't get around on the right. Then the person behind me gets pissed, crosses over 2-3 lanes to the right, cuts multiple people off, rides some bumpers, then cuts me off to be stuck behind the person I was stuck behind in the first place.

Hey rear end in a top hat, I'm not going slow in the left lane to piss you off. I wanna get on with it, too.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Uthor posted:

I hate when I'm stuck behind someone cruising in the left lane and the other lanes are packed and/or even slower so I can't get around on the right. Then the person behind me gets pissed, crosses over 2-3 lanes to the right, cuts multiple people off, rides some bumpers, then cuts me off to be stuck behind the person I was stuck behind in the first place.

Hey rear end in a top hat, I'm not going slow in the left lane to piss you off. I wanna get on with it, too.

On the other hand though, when that guy does decide to cut through every lane and ends up getting back over and cutting off the idiot blocking the passing lane, and he realizes what an idiot he's been and merges over clearing the way for the rest of us. Kudos to that guy. I mean I wasn't about to swerve all over to show that guy what's what, I was content to just ride his rear end, but sometimes being more proactive helps.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

On my last road trip there were multiple times when one semi was slowly passing another in the left lane uphill, and when the driver saw that I also wanted to pass he dropped back and moved over.

Truckers are cool in my book.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

On my last road trip there were multiple times when one semi was slowly passing another in the left lane uphill, and when the driver saw that I also wanted to pass he dropped back and moved over.

Truckers are cool in my book.

I have literally never seen a trucker do this. It's always a slow race to the top at 35mph with 100 cars tailing behind while they wave their dicks at each other.

Not saying that I don't like truckers, I do and always try to make their life easier if I can. But drat, those fuckin' hills...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Blame companies that speed limit trucks.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

One of my favorite scenarios that happens all the time:

I'm behind someone cruising along at the speed limit in the left lane (65) where most people do 80+. The middle and right lane have traffic going around the same speed. There's no room to pass, and he sits there for a couple minutes not getting a clue. Finally some space opens up in the middle lane and I change over to pass him. 2 seconds later, as I've sped up and am about to overtake on the right (I don't tailgate) the idiot who was in front of me cuts me off without signaling.

This usually has one of two outcomes.

Option one: They don't notice me, and I have to brake to avoid running into them, then wait for room in the left lane as the 6 other people who were held up by this guy go by.

Option two: They notice me, and violently swerve back into the left lane, then sit there. I slow down to let them merge over in front of me, they sit there. I speed up to go by them, and at that point they usually start signaling that they want to merge to the right. Yeah, well done sir.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've noticed that if I hang back at a respectable/normal masshole distance (I refuse to tailgate) and flick my passing lights, about 40% of idiots plugging up the left lane will notice by the third or fourth time I do it.

So yeah, if you aren't flicking your passing lights at the oblivious idiot, I'm gonna pass you on the right and do it for you, sorry. Then we can hopefully both pass the idiot before they go right back into the left lane to hang out again because 65 in the middle lane is nowhere near as cool as 65 in the left lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

nsaP posted:

Blame companies that speed limit trucks.

Seeing as he's talking about a hill, I'm assuming he means the trucker is going flat out (but still slow) to pass some other trucker going very slightly slower.

Most of the interstates around here have "Trucks right lane only" on the steeper hills nowadays.