Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Retail

Oh snap, Stuart is Cooper! :lol:

Good loving lord. Having Marla as the main in this strip was bad enough and now we have a clone of her. Same expressions and everything.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

I read that as "Aren't you going to ask me out?" and well, that would've made an interesting strip.

He knows.

Dustin

Oh Dustin, coming in here every week and taking any assignment you can get, you shiftless card!

Uh, last time Ed went to the doctor the quack told him to just hit up Web MD and save himself the trip.

On the Fastrack

Aahhh! Put those back! Our entire legacy system just went down!

Safe Havens

Apparently she was the only resident here who didn't have drunk photos on her wall. Which makes her the only qualified applicant by default.

You still have to pay rent you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Potsticker posted:

Is it tightrope walking in high heels?

That shouldn't be the answer because it actually is possible to walk a tightrope in heels. There's even a youtube video of a woman doing that. Not that this would matter to the inspector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grc7fHf5CVk

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

That shouldn't be the answer because it actually is possible to walk a tightrope in heels. There's even a youtube video of a woman doing that. Not that this would matter to the inspector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grc7fHf5CVk

Well, then I'm stumped.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Brookes comics are so awful because they are suppposed to be about humans but this characters act in ways that no human being, at least none that I have ever met, act like. 9CL is supposed to be a soapy comic strip, right, at least to some extent, or at least driven by character interaction with each other? So part of the allure of the comic is that we identify with the characters, or at least can recognize trope behavior in them. But they act like aliens in human suits who's only reference point for how humans act is 19th century mime manual or something, what with the horrifying facial expressions and weird poses and such. The most recent strip, for example, the formula is "man finds woman attractive, therefore sex happens" but fails to account for stuff normal, actual humans would perhaps find a hinderance to the sex, like the head wound or all the dead bodies. Combine this 'alien in human skin' approach with the art style and you've got yourself a recipe for one seriously offputting strip.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You can't see it behind the chest but Inspector Danger spotted the bullet hole in her head instantly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

No, really.

Luann and Knute clearly aren't shouting either, unless they're doing it through gritted teeth.

ZeeToo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

:golfclap:

Garfield

"The social network".

The Pajama Diaries

Well, that's done, problem solved once and for all.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Midnight Moth posted:

Good loving lord. Having Marla as the main in this strip was bad enough and now we have a clone of her. Same expressions and everything.

Realizing how much a random non-holiday store closing would piss off the customers would probably be too much for these people considering they don't give a poo poo about the customers any other time either.

Here, have some Scary Gary. (Admittedly, this one feels like a transplanted Garfield joke.)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Wait, okay, I haven't been following 9CL at all (big shock) but Google tells me the movie is It Happened One Night.

That, uh, isn't an obscure movie at all. :psyduck: It's probably the second most famous Frank Capra movie after It's A Wonderful Life, and it's really not too far behind that in how well-known it is. It's also really loving good, to the point where I'm actually mad at Brooke now for making GBS threads all over it.
Oh I know what the movie is, and I know it's a fairly famous one at that, I just don't think a lot of modern audiences have seen it or really know what happens in it. I suspect it's on a lot of people's list of movies "to see one day" who never get around to it, like Pvt.Scott mentioned. It's on mine. Obviously, I could be wrong on this. It was just a thought I had about another reason why this 9CL storyline is stupid and Brooke McEldowney sucks.

However I would argue Mr Smith Goes to Washington is the second most famous Capra film to It's a Wonderful Life.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Tommy has experience, but unfortunately he was a terrible janitor. Look at all that water!

Rex Morgan MD

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 20, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Oh Dustin, coming in here every week and taking any assignment you can get, you shiftless card!

Wikipedia posted:

Ed Kudlick, Dustin's father, is an angry, bitter lawyer who despises Dustin's apparent laziness and is the strip's main antagonist. Ed is never supportive in any way, and always seeks to crush Dustin's attempts to find meaning and useful employment, ceaselessly mocking his son and putting him down

Wikipedia posted:

Simone Fontenot; the salty owner of TurboTemps, a one-woman employment agency. Simone provides Dustin with temporary job assignments and unending criticism, sarcasm and almost always mispronounces his last name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dustin_(comic_strip)

Whoever wrote the wikipedia article got it right. Dustin is surrounded by complete bastards.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Later that day Phil realizes that dedicating his life to some shallow idea of a supreme being and old rock singer memorabilia has been a mistake. He abandons his titbag girlfriend and her weird midget spawn and gets an entry-level job at an investment bank by name-dropping his dad who used to be friends with the greedy rear end in a top hat CEO.

After a decade of working there and advancing his career with cutthroat tactics and questionable ethics, he is ordered to oversee the foreclosure and demolition of Fritzi's house to make way for a parking garage. Later that week Phil sees Nancy and Fritzi on the street begging for scraps. He realizes that even though he has become as emotionally numb as his abusive step-father, it still beats the hell out of living in Gilchrist's sappy fiction.

Darkest Auer fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 20, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Tommy has experience, but unfortunately he was a terrible janitor. Look at all that water!

That's not Tommy. That looks almost like a woman's head on a man's body.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Worst mop. Worst bucket. Guard is holding a shotgun while watching a guy use something that isn't a mop.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Is 'Nancy' even about Nancy any more? Seems like it should just be renamed 'Guy Gilchrist presents Phil Fumble's Tribute to Jason Crabbs and the Nostalgia Tits'.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The latest Fast Track & Safe Havens made me notice something. They're the same universe, apparently? Red head RA girl is going home to red head & black hair guy who loses his phone a lot (it is a joke :geno:.) Am I reading that right? And we're in for a whole week of Foob fat jokes & loveless marriages it seems, so hold on to your seats for a laff riot. :v:

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Tiggum posted:

The Pajama Diaries

Well, that's done, problem solved once and for all.

Great, now they're going to grow up to be fat and insufferable, just like their mother!!!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I believe Fast Track, Kenan and Kel, and Safe Havens are all in the same continuity. Kenan and Kel is in a parallel universe that is accessible to the human universe by way of a hole in the something something something.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Those are some fine skull-potatoes.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

One woman for each arm now, huh Jane?

Non Sequitur

Bleh.

Heavenly Nostrils is late.

Kliban's Cats

:)

9 Chickweed Lane 5/20/2003

I have no idea why GoComics suddenly made this gigantic. It doesn't look like the tables are a'sploded though.

Zits

No, it should've been "More wrinkly do you think I am getting?"

Kevin & Kell

Well duh.

Well duh.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Good morning folks, it's a wonderful, Darren Bell Free day, let's celebrate!
Cul-de-sac Throws mulch in celebration!!

It's more eco-friendly than confetti!

And The Creeps have brought cake!

It's a little dry though.

Later, we can watch Broom Hilda get drunk and pretend she's a squirrel!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's interesting seeing the reactions to Retail from people who don't seem to have lived through the retail experience.

Speaking as someone who used to have to do inventory for our store, I can easily say gently caress that job. Although my store at the time was a small video game store in a mall, so it wasn't exactly huge; wouldn't a large department store chain like Grumbel's hire a company to do the audit? There's no way a half-dozen people can audit a whole department store in one night.

But enough hate. The Dinette Set is about reaffirming the love.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

IIRC, tightrope walkers use a rope a foot or two off the ground to practice? Either that or the Inspector's going to pull out some hoary chestnut about how tightrope walkers NEVER practice without a net, just in case.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Jambi is not a psychic. Jambi is a genie. :colbert:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

It's also worked for me in public restrooms.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

So good. I'm dreading the day the backlog of new strips runs out.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Another two-parter day...

Skippy (March 1, 1927)

Peanuts (May 23, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Even the Depression Cat can't deal with Les's bullshit today.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

don Jaime posted:

You know how we all hate Gilchrist's habit of name-checking his favorite singers and pop songs? This felt like that, but "my favorite books" instead.

Bear in mind that the author is a teacher, and his original intended audience was/is kids:

Kory Merritt posted:

The Lost Side of Suburbia is a children’s book series, published online by Universal Uclick at GoComics.com and the educational site FunBrain.com since 2010. Ebook collections have been released by Crazy Goat Publishing, the online book arm of The Cartoonist Studio.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Pfft, you call yourself a crooked cop! It is time to solve the problem. This guy's wanted in connection to multiple homicides and he takes his meetings face-to-face behind closed doors! There are cops out there who would jizz in their tighty whities to get that kind of opportunity to shoot a guy and plant some Evidence Comix!

Aw yeah, posting my backlog just in time for the cliffhanger.

Ballard Street

There is no way she didn't push him just then. No way in hell.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Mustapukuinen Mies - A Man in Black

You might notice that there's one strip missing. The book has ~80 strips but the strip numbers go up to 270. I might have to look for other sources once these are done.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's interesting seeing the reactions to Retail from people who don't seem to have lived through the retail experience.

Speaking as someone who used to have to do inventory for our store, I can easily say gently caress that job. Although my store at the time was a small video game store in a mall, so it wasn't exactly huge; wouldn't a large department store chain like Grumbel's hire a company to do the audit? There's no way a half-dozen people can audit a whole department store in one night.
I did live through the "retail experience". I worked as a pharmacy cashier at a high volume CVS and pretty much rang up customers non stop through my whole shift. There was no downtime. So when I see some jackass like Cooper screwing around on the roof or building box robots on his shift and even getting promoted for it, it pisses me off.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Further evidence that this strip is falling apart at the seams.

What could she have possibly found out other than the name on the tombstone and the helmet that she stole? It's not like anybody was there to explain the details in the flashback.

Pibgorn

The audience must have run out of fruit and instead moved on to their footwear.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TofuDiva posted:

Bear in mind that the author is a teacher, and his original intended audience was/is kids:

Wait, do people here not realize that Lost Side is supposed to be a children's story?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

Well duh.

Yes, we've said it many times, but I still can't get over the gleeful murder in this strip.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

And now, the back half!

Pogo (May 22, 1956)

Droodles (May 21, 1956)

Out Our Way (January 2-3, 1925)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So wait, the 'encouragement aka guilt trip' line in mary worth wasn't an edit?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Midnight Moth posted:

I did live through the "retail experience". I worked as a pharmacy cashier at a high volume CVS and pretty much rang up customers non stop through my whole shift. There was no downtime. So when I see some jackass like Cooper screwing around on the roof or building box robots on his shift and even getting promoted for it, it pisses me off.
See, when I was at the video game store, we had a different kind of "no downtime" since we weren't tied to the register. So if there were no customers then you had to fix displays/price things/etc.

Although my boss at the time would slot pretty well into the Retail-verse; he'd do things like open the store half-and-hour to an hour late, then adjust the system time on the computer we used to "punch in" so it'd look like he was on time. Despite the fact that the mall management would notice that the store was opening an hour late and report that to the DM.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

He was bluffing the whole time. Lisa never had cancer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

He was bluffing the whole time. Lisa never had cancer!
The big reveal: Lisa didn't die or have cancer, she faked her death as part of a years-long scheme to get away from Les and ruin his life.

• Locked thread