Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Portfolio posted:

Since there doesn't appear to be a dedicated cooling thread, I'll ask here:

Has anyone ever experienced a weird chemical-like smell coming from one of those sealed water-cooling blocks? I recently put a Corsair H90 in my PC and I'm now noticing a strong, almost rubbery (but not burnt) smell inside the case when I open it, and coming out the back (where the case exhausts) when its running.

No definitely haven't smelled that. It's just a fan and a radiator which won't give off smells any more than a heatsink would. Assuming it's not leaking of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
That's what I mean. I don't see any visible leaks, though — maybe it's small enough that the fluid is evaporating as it leaks?

What's inside those things, anyway? Presumably there's some antifreeze-like component in the water?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Now that the semester is over and I have some free time I figure I might as well get around to upgrading my pc. I was gifted this a couple years ago and I have been running into issues with it for the past couple of months but I'm not sure what parts are good/bad so I'm leaning towards just starting from scratch.

As it says in the title I have no idea what I'm doing. I've been reading up on pc building for the past couple of days but I'm by no means an expert. I use two monitors and will likely upgrade to three once I get more desk space.

As far as usage goes I'm looking to do some 1080p gaming, video editing, maybe streaming, and some scientific computing (think MATLAB, ROOT, or compiled languages).

Some comments:

16GB ram: I currently run 8GB on my desktop and I am usually idling somewhere near 6-7GB with just browser + misc stuff running like itunes. I like to do things like game/watch videos with things running in the background so I decided to bump up to 16GB and see how it feels.

cpu cooler: I don't plan on overclocking but my desktop lives in a room that hits 100F+ pretty regularly during the day and I'd like to take preventative measures to keep the thing from melting. I'm not sure if the CPU cooler is necessary though. Should I be looking into case fans instead? I keep it running almost 24/7 so I can remote desktop if necessary.

I'm probably going to incrementally upgrade from this build so a case that is easy to work with is important for me.

I'm willing to go lower/higher on the price. Mostly I'm looking for a good value system that will last 1-2 years before needing an upgrade or two. Be that 800 or 1500 doesn't matter too much to me.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.94 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($129.84 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1294.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-19 18:24 EDT-0400)

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Virtue posted:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.94 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($129.84 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1294.68
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-19 18:24 EDT-0400)

A good build.

The CPU cooler you chose is fine. I have a similar hot room and a cheaper case, and I only use a stock heatsink, and I think you'll be happy with it.

Something is wrong if with a browser+iTunes is taking up that much memory. 8gb is mostly enough for everyone, but if you might need it go for it.

If you're a student, use your .edu email to get windows for cheaper.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3NrMI

Hey guys

I'm planning on using this as a gaming machine. I have no intention of overclocking my CPU but was wondering whether I need an aftermarket cooler for this system.

Any help would be awesome

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

plain blue jacket posted:

Hey guys

I'm planning on using this as a gaming machine. I have no intention of overclocking my CPU but was wondering whether I need an aftermarket cooler for this system.

Replace literally every component with something from the OP.

You gotta be trolling, right?

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 20, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Peanut3141 posted:

Nothing wrong with his choice of Ram, graphics card, PSU or optical drive. That motherboard needs to go, however, as does that case and the hard drive. His CPU is fine, but he could use one of the new refresh CPUs depending on the cost relative to the 4570.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Nothing wrong with his choice of Ram, graphics card, PSU or optical drive. That motherboard needs to go, however, as does that case and the hard drive. His CPU is fine, but he could use one of the new refresh CPUs depending on the cost relative to the 4570.

Graphics card isn't horribly overpriced, but he doesn't need 4GB on a 760. Can save $20 by getting a 2GB model. Memory is similarly overpriced.

Very little reason not to get Haswell refresh based upon pcpartpicker prices. Maybe out of stock plus 0 patience? Hell, the 4690 is $20 cheaper if he's near a Microcenter, else it's $10 more.

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 20, 2014

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Peanut3141 posted:

Graphics card isn't horribly overpriced, but he doesn't need 4GB on a 760. Can save $20 by getting a 2GB model. Memory is similarly overpriced.

Very little reason not to get Haswell refresh based upon pcpartpicker prices. Maybe out of stock plus 0 patience?

I'll give a pass on the GPU because for some silly reason the 4GB model is actually cheaper than the 2GB model from MSI, the other 2GB MSI card uses a reference design which is inferior to their regular cooler. The other options that are slightly cheaper are EVGA and PNY. I'd pick the EVGA one personally but if you prefer MSI then you might as well get the 4GB model right now.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Beautiful Ninja posted:

I'll give a pass on the GPU because for some silly reason the 4GB model is actually cheaper than the 2GB model from MSI, the other 2GB MSI card uses a reference design which is inferior to their regular cooler. The other options that are slightly cheaper are EVGA and PNY. I'd pick the EVGA one personally but if you prefer MSI then you might as well get the 4GB model right now.

Fair point, and the PSU is overkill, but not terribly so. The rest looks like master trolling. Recommended CPU from last gen paired with OCing board that has a Killer NIC iirc. RAM from most reliable manufacturer, but overpriced. Hilarious Green as only drive. Thread favorite 760 from thread favorite MSI, but inexplicably 4GB with no mention of SLI plans. Then random case and optical drive, which is becoming anachronistic.

Basically if I was going to troll, this is how I'd do it. Less obvious than $3k builds, but every component just a bit off.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Calm down no one's trolling, dude just isn't up to date on parts.

Hey guys

Bumped your CPU and motherboard to the refresh, cheaper RAM, better hdd and an SSD.

I thought this case might be better and cheaper, but still have that kind of aesthetic.

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.24 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 White ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Platinum 550W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($26.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $938.14
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-20 04:11 EDT-0400)

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

drat NIGGA posted:

A good build.
Thanks.

PCPartPicker part list

Anyone know why the build price spiked around May 11? I was debating pulling the trigger but if the price is going down I can wait.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Peanut3141 posted:

Fair point, and the PSU is overkill, but not terribly so. The rest looks like master trolling. Recommended CPU from last gen paired with OCing board that has a Killer NIC iirc. RAM from most reliable manufacturer, but overpriced. Hilarious Green as only drive. Thread favorite 760 from thread favorite MSI, but inexplicably 4GB with no mention of SLI plans. Then random case and optical drive, which is becoming anachronistic.

Basically if I was going to troll, this is how I'd do it. Less obvious than $3k builds, but every component just a bit off.

I'm sick of seeing people poo poo on someone who buys an optical drive, as if buying an optical drive is some horrible crime. People still do buy stuff on discs sometimes. People still buy dvd movies, and many people like to watch them at their PC. Not everyone wants an optical drive, but there is nothing wrong with someone buying one if they want to, and it really shouldn't be brought up as a criticism. I watch all my media at my PC, so I have a TV tuner, and three separate optical drives so that I can buy stuff from different regions.

eBay Huckster
Jul 26, 2005

Virtue posted:

Thanks.

PCPartPicker part list

Anyone know why the build price spiked around May 11? I was debating pulling the trigger but if the price is going down I can wait.

that's just when the CPU/motherboard in that build came out

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm sick of seeing people poo poo on someone who buys an optical drive, as if buying an optical drive is some horrible crime. People still do buy stuff on discs sometimes. People still buy dvd movies, and many people like to watch them at their PC. Not everyone wants an optical drive, but there is nothing wrong with someone buying one if they want to, and it really shouldn't be brought up as a criticism. I watch all my media at my PC, so I have a TV tuner, and three separate optical drives so that I can buy stuff from different regions.

i'm personally throwing one into my build later this year for OS/Office installation and gratuitous amounts of CD ripping

eBay Huckster fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 20, 2014

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Peanut3141 posted:

I live in South Africa and don't have the luxury of access to every single component on the market plus the mark up on parts is substantially higher. I am getting my parts at cost price but that means I am limited to what stock the supplier has.

drat NIGGA posted:

Calm down no one's trolling, dude just isn't up to date on parts.

Bumped your CPU and motherboard to the refresh, cheaper RAM, better hdd and an SSD.

I thought this case might be better and cheaper, but still have that kind of aesthetic.

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.24 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 White ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Platinum 550W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($26.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $938.14
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-20 04:11 EDT-0400)

Thanks for the advice, but a lot of those parts aren't available for me (I've gone through the product lists 7 suppliers). What I've listed is literally the best I can get.

I'm paying $1800 for my system and that's at cost. Thanks for not being a jerk though. I just filled out that pcpicker thing because the OP said I should and I didn't want to be a dick.

So I guess my original question still stands: with the system I showed you guys do I need to worry about my CPU overheating (peanut this is not a troll)

edit: guys who have helped thanks a serious bunch but I have checked what you have suggested against what is available and I have had no luck

plain blue jacket fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 20, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I live in South Africa and don't have the luxury of access to every single component on the market plus the mark up on parts is substantially higher. I am getting my parts at cost price but that means I am limited to what stock the supplier has.

Thanks for the advice, but a lot of those parts aren't available for me (I've gone through the product lists 7 suppliers). What I've listed is literally the best I can get.

I'm paying $1800 for my system and that's at cost. Thanks for not being a jerk though. I just filled out that pcpicker thing because the OP said I should and I didn't want to be a dick.

So I guess my original question still stands: with the system I showed you guys do I need to worry about my CPU overheating (peanut this is not a troll)

Your cpu isn't going to overheat using the stock cooler, but it will be rather noisy. You really, really need to pick a different motherboard though - those MSI mobos cause bluescreens and other poo poo because of those lovely Killer NICs. There is also literally no reason for you to be buying a z87 motherboard since you won't be overclocking. You cannot seriously tell me that there isn't a single B85 or H87 motherboard in the whole of South Africa.

The motherboard is the most serious issue - the only thing likely to cause actual technical problems for you, but you really are shooting yourself in the foot with that hard drive. A western digital blue or red would be far better, and if you're buying a nice PC you really should have a solid state drive. Again, these are not obscure parts, I'm struggling to believe you can't get hold of them anywhere - even if you have to pay retail price for them you should.

That case is also less than ideal, and far larger than you need. Try and look for something from Corsair, Bitfenix or Fractal Design.

You really only need a mini tower and an mATX mobo.

Edit: are these product lists online? can you post them so we can pick better options for you from what you have available?

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 20, 2014

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

The Lord Bude posted:

Your cpu isn't going to overheat using the stock cooler, but it will be rather noisy. You really, really need to pick a different motherboard though - those MSI mobos cause bluescreens and other poo poo because of those lovely Killer NICs. There is also literally no reason for you to be buying a z87 motherboard since you won't be overclocking. You cannot seriously tell me that there isn't a single B85 or H87 motherboard in the whole of South Africa.

The motherboard is the most serious issue - the only thing likely to cause actual technical problems for you, but you really are shooting yourself in the foot with that hard drive. A western digital blue or red would be far better, and if you're buying a nice PC you really should have a solid state drive. Again, these are not obscure parts, I'm struggling to believe you can't get hold of them anywhere - even if you have to pay retail price for them you should.

That case is also less than ideal, and far larger than you need. Try and look for something from Corsair, Bitfenix or Fractal Design.

You really only need a mini tower and an mATX mobo.

Edit: are these product lists online? can you post them so we can pick better options for you from what you have available?

It's all on excel spreadsheats. Motherboard wise what is available from what you recommend is

MSI® Intel H87-G41 PC MATE H87 Chipset

and

MSI® Intel B85-G43 Gaming B85 Chipset

I'll change my hd to a WD blue 1TB

The cases I have to choose from are either thermaltake or antec

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It's all on excel spreadsheats. Motherboard wise what is available from what you recommend is

MSI® Intel H87-G41 PC MATE H87 Chipset

and

MSI® Intel B85-G43 Gaming B85 Chipset

I'll change my hd to a WD blue 1TB

The cases I have to choose from are either thermaltake or antec

the H87-G41 is acceptable, if a little spartan in the audio department (not an issue if you plan on using cheap $50 speakers/headphones) and if you plan on using higher end audio gear then you probably shouldn't be using onboard audio in any case;

as for the second one, MSI confusingly has two very similarly named motherboards: The MSI B85-G43, and the MSI B85-G43 Gaming. The first one is fine, the second one has the terrible killer NIC I warned you about earlier. MSI mobos with the horrible killer NIC can be distinguished by the red and black colour scheme with dragons and poo poo all over it.

There are no mATX sized motherboards?

As for Cases:

Honestly these companies are kinda bottom of the barrel these days when it comes to cases, but you could save a little money with the smaller chaser A31. I guess if you can only buy an antec or a Thermaltake you'll have to settle for an obnoxious case.

Still think you should try and get a solid state drive - Intel SSD 530 or Samsung 840EVO.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

The Lord Bude posted:

the H87-G41 is acceptable, if a little spartan in the audio department (not an issue if you plan on using cheap $50 speakers/headphones) and if you plan on using higher end audio gear then you probably shouldn't be using onboard audio in any case;

as for the second one, MSI confusingly has two very similarly named motherboards: The MSI B85-G43, and the MSI B85-G43 Gaming. The first one is fine, the second one has the terrible killer NIC I warned you about earlier. MSI mobos with the horrible killer NIC can be distinguished by the red and black colour scheme with dragons and poo poo all over it.

There are no mATX sized motherboards?

As for Cases:

Honestly these companies are kinda bottom of the barrel these days when it comes to cases, but you could save a little money with the smaller chaser A31. I guess if you can only buy an antec or a Thermaltake you'll have to settle for an obnoxious case.

Still think you should try and get a solid state drive - Intel SSD 530 or Samsung 840EVO.

I can get a MSI® Intel H87-G41 PC MATE H87 Chipset for a good price and then buy a sound card to compensate? I'll be using pretty high quality headphones so tell me if you think it's neccessary

I really would get a ssd if I could but a 480 gig would cost me roughly $480 if I had the extra cash I would in a second

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I can get a MSI® Intel H87-G41 PC MATE H87 Chipset for a good price and then buy a sound card to compensate? I'll be using pretty high quality headphones so tell me if you think it's neccessary

I really would get a ssd if I could but a 480 gig would cost me roughly $480 if I had the extra cash I would in a second

The idea with an SSD is to buy a small one - 240 or even 120 gigs and a regular hard drive as well, but if you can't afford even that then I suggest keeping it in mind for a future upgrade. There certainly isn't anywhere else for you to trim money.

How high quality are we talking about for the headphones? You could buy a soundcard or an external DAC/headphone amp but whether it's worthwhile or not depends on what you'll be using. I suggest visiting the headphone and audio threads.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We built a new space in our offices... a wide open workspace with all the creatives in one spot. There's one free standing wall that has a 50" HDTV attached to it that will act as a sort of group-used display. We'll have air parrot/reflector installed on the machines so a creative can throw their screen to the TV if they have something to show. Or people will be able to gather around it if a director has something to share.

I'm looking at just getting a little slim system to fit behind the monitor (or even just below it...with a really slim profile). And then a little floating shelf with wireless keyboard/mouse on it. Are the Intel NUC systems worth looking at? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102052

It won't be doing any heavy work other than office/web productivity and mirroring displays. Budget is about $500 or less.

edit: Now that I think about it, I doubt I could mount it behind the monitor AND mount the monitor on the wall..but still... something slim like this is preferably for a small footprint.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 20, 2014

njaa
Aug 20, 2007
Hi fellow goons. I've decided to replace my current system by building myself a new one. The computer will be mostly for gaming. I have a 2-monitor setup (one is often used for watching streams and one for playing or working). One of the purposes of this build is to be quieter than my current one as my s/o dislikes the fan noise. Much by following the OP I came to this build. I have almost no previous experience building computers (except installing an occasional video card or a hard drive).

Case: Fractal design r4
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4590 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz)
Motherboard: Asus Socket 1150 H97M-E Asus Socket 1150 H97M-E
Video card: MSI RADEON R9 270X, 4GB GDDR5 (256 Bit), (HDMI, 2xDVI, DP)
Memory: 2x Crucial DDR3 MEMORY DIMM 4GB PC12800 (CT51264BA160BJ)
HDD: WD RED NASWARE HDD SATA 2TB 6GB/S 64MB/WD20EFRX
SSD: SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO 250GB SATAIII DESKTOP KIT (MZ-7TE250KW)
Power: Corsair VS Series™ VS550 550W - (CP-9020050-EU)
Aftercooling: Noctua NH-D14

A couple of questions came into mind while creating this list.
1) One of my main building goals is silence but does having a aftercooling device really make a difference? I do not plan to overclock.
2) Does it all fit in the box? I understand that the Noctua NH-D14 is quite big and i read somewhere that it might get in the way of RAMs.
3) Is the PSU enough for handling the video card?
4) I chose the MSI video card just for the somewhat silent fans. But is there much of a difference between 2gb and 4 gb types?
5) Does the list have any glaring errors that will make me curse the world when i start assembling it?

Thanks!

njaa fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 20, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

njaa posted:

Hi fellow goons. I've decided to replace my current system by building myself a new one. The computer will be mostly for gaming. I have a 2-monitor setup (one is often used for watching streams and one for playing or working). One of the purposes of this build is to be quieter than my current one as my s/o dislikes the fan noise. Much by following the OP I came to this build. I have almost no previous experience building computers (except installing an occasional video card or a hard drive).

Case: Fractal design r4
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4590 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz)
Motherboard: Asus Socket 1150 H97M-E Asus Socket 1150 H97M-E
Video card: MSI RADEON R9 270X, 4GB GDDR5 (256 Bit), (HDMI, 2xDVI, DP)
Memory: 2x Crucial DDR3 MEMORY DIMM 4GB PC12800 (CT51264BA160BJ)
HDD: WD RED NASWARE HDD SATA 2TB 6GB/S 64MB/WD20EFRX
SSD: SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO 250GB SATAIII DESKTOP KIT (MZ-7TE250KW)
Power: Corsair VS Series™ VS550 550W - (CP-9020050-EU)
Aftercooling: Noctua NH-D14

A couple of questions came into mind while creating this list.
1) One of my main building goals is silence but does having a aftercooling device really make a difference? I do not plan to overclock.
2) Does it all fit in the box? I understand that the Noctua NH-D14 is quite big and i read somewhere that it might get in the way of RAMs.
3) Is the PSU enough for handling the video card?
4) I chose the MSI video card just for the somewhat silent fans. But is there much of a difference between 2gb and 4 gb types?
5) Does the list have any glaring errors that will make me curse the world when i start assembling it?

Thanks!

1. You don't need such a large case, you could get a smaller case such as the Fractal Design Define mini, or the superior (but harder to find) Nanoxia DS4

2. can you link us to your choice of RAM so we can double check it? it looks like you're buying 2 separate 4gig kits, you should buy a single kit with 2x 4gig sticks in it. Make sure it's 1.5v and doesn't have tall heatspreaders.

3. Given that you aren't overclocking, any aftermarket cooler you buy is strictly for noise reduction, rather than increased cooling (and yes it makes a very big difference) that being said, an NH-D14 is gratuitous overkill for this task - the absolute most you should be considering is a Noctua U12s, and honestly even this is pricey for something that's just going to be for noise reduction - a coolermaster hyper212 evo would be better.

4. don't buy 4gig variants of the 270X, it's a waste of money

5. That PSU is adequate in wattage but it's kinda crap, pick something between 450 and 550w from the OP.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

BonoMan posted:

We built a new space in our offices... a wide open workspace with all the creatives in one spot. There's one free standing wall that has a 50" HDTV attached to it that will act as a sort of group-used display. We'll have air parrot/reflector installed on the machines so a creative can throw their screen to the TV if they have something to show. Or people will be able to gather around it if a director has something to share.

I'm looking at just getting a little slim system to fit behind the monitor (or even just below it...with a really slim profile). And then a little floating shelf with wireless keyboard/mouse on it. Are the Intel NUC systems worth looking at? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102052

It won't be doing any heavy work other than office/web productivity and mirroring displays. Budget is about $500 or less.

edit: Now that I think about it, I doubt I could mount it behind the monitor AND mount the monitor on the wall..but still... something slim like this is preferably for a small footprint.

This is a perfect job for a NUC, and you can actually rig the NUC and a mounting plate on the same vesa mount:This is one example

(And worst case you wall mount it, the mount can work as either a vesa or wall mount, it's pretty neat.)

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 20, 2014

njaa
Aug 20, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

1. You don't need such a large case, you could get a smaller case such as the Fractal Design Define mini, or the superior (but harder to find) Nanoxia DS4

2. can you link us to your choice of RAM so we can double check it? it looks like you're buying 2 separate 4gig kits, you should buy a single kit with 2x 4gig sticks in it. Make sure it's 1.5v and doesn't have tall heatspreaders.

3. Given that you aren't overclocking, any aftermarket cooler you buy is strictly for noise reduction, rather than increased cooling (and yes it makes a very big difference) that being said, an NH-D14 is gratuitous overkill for this task - the absolute most you should be considering is a Noctua U12s, and honestly even this is pricey for something that's just going to be for noise reduction - a coolermaster hyper212 evo would be better.

4. don't buy 4gig variants of the 270X, it's a waste of money

5. That PSU is adequate in wattage but it's kinda crap, pick something between 450 and 550w from the OP.

Thanks for the response! Will heed your recommendations as for the case, video card and aftercooling.
I also switched my PSU choice to SeaSonic S12II series 520W 85+ (Bronze).
The RAM I intended to buy was just the cheapest 4GB stick available on the site I am using. Switching to Crucial DDR3 8GB kit (4GBx2) DDR3 Ballistix Sport UDIMM 240pin, 1600 MT/s, PC3-12800, CL9, 1.5V.

Thanks again!

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.69 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.98 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VS229H-P 21.5" Monitor ($139.00 @ Amazon)
Other: EVGA GTS250
Other: Case from friend ($60.00)
Other: 500W rosewill power supply
Total: $745.63
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-20 12:15 EDT-0400)

I need help making this setup cheaper and making sure everything is going to go well together. My budget is around $700. I already have a video card and PSU that I will be using until I can upgrade. I would like to save money by possibly switching out the mobo/processor combo but I want to know that all parts are reliable. SSD technology seems to be unreliable and I don't like this about it so I may drop the SSD; maybe go with a hybrid drive?

I want to play games such as CS:GO and Dota2 at high framerates.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
So, I've purchased most of the things I need for my new PC, however I noticed that the B85 motherboard recommendation has been removed from the OP. Is there a reason for that? I'm not really going to balk at another 20-30 bucks when I'm already dropping around $1000 if there's a good reason, but I'm curious!

Also, cooling. Do you guys see any issues with stock cooling on an i5-4590 in that case? And I guess if there's anything stupid I've done, feel free to point that out as I can always return something :v:

Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($220.40 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI B85M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($0.00)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($74.88 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $350.27
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-20 13:17 EDT-0400)

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I'd like to upgrade from X58 to a Haswell with a Z97 motherboard without totally reinstalling Windows 8.1. Is that possible?

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Squirrel007 posted:

I need help making this setup cheaper and making sure everything is going to go well together. My budget is around $700. I already have a video card and PSU that I will be using until I can upgrade. I would like to save money by possibly switching out the mobo/processor combo but I want to know that all parts are reliable. SSD technology seems to be unreliable and I don't like this about it so I may drop the SSD; maybe go with a hybrid drive?

I want to play games such as CS:GO and Dota2 at high framerates.

gently caress Seagate, gently caress SanDisk and gently caress Gigabyte, how does this look?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($26.97 @ Newegg)
Other: EVGA GTS250
Total: $688.18
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-20 14:18 EDT-0400)

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
^^^ You might as well bump that up to an i5 4590 too.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Hey guys just two questions.

1. Looking to get a new video card. (Either the GTX 760 or GTX 770) in the past have video cards gone on sale for the Memorial Day weekend?
2. For 1080p gaming is the GTX 770 worth the extra ~$60 dollars over the GTX 760? Would love to see some articles breaking down the improvements going from the 760 to 770 give.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

deimos posted:

This is a perfect job for a NUC, and you can actually rig the NUC and a mounting plate on the same vesa mount:This is one example

(And worst case you wall mount it, the mount can work as either a vesa or wall mount, it's pretty neat.)

Awesome, thanks for the info!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BexGu posted:

Hey guys just two questions.

1. Looking to get a new video card. (Either the GTX 760 or GTX 770) in the past have video cards gone on sale for the Memorial Day weekend?

Seriously who is going to remember this?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

ShaneB posted:

Seriously who is going to remember this?

http://camelcamelcamel.com/EVGA-GeForce-SUPERCLOCKED-Graphics-02G-P4-2662-KR/product/B00966IREK?context=browse

Graph is kinda hard to read though

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

drat NIGGA posted:

gently caress Seagate, gently caress SanDisk and gently caress Gigabyte, how does this look?

Okay so I decided to scrap the SSD and go with a new videocard instead. My problem is im concerned that the microATX board is going to be too small for me to put my GPU and a wireless card into my case. I am planning on buying a mid-size case for this guy. I also changed the processor to the i3-4130 because I have heard good things about it and it is more within my budget.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($116.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $730.91
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-20 15:44 EDT-0400)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Hi everyone, I'm eyeballing 2 solid state drives and trying to figure out which one to get. Can someone explain the 40 dollar difference between the Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA and PNY XLR8 SATA 6Gbps 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WT9UXA/ref=twister_B00INTNF70 PNY

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3W1726/ref=twister_B00EHFJJHY samsung evo

I know the evo is highly rated over the PNY, but I'm wondering what value is gained over getting the evo. Thanks everyone.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Squirrel007 posted:

Okay so I decided to scrap the SSD and go with a new videocard instead. My problem is im concerned that the microATX board is going to be too small for me to put my GPU and a wireless card into my case. I am planning on buying a mid-size case for this guy.

Why are you so against an SSD? They're really great. They make start up and shut down a LOT faster (as well as suspend and return from suspend), which saves power/heat. They increase program launch speeds and general computer responsiveness. In a reasonable time frame, their failure rates are nothing to be concerned about. They run silently (not a huge deal since you'll likely have a mechanical drive as well, but it means the mechanical drive can spin down more often). They're not even that expensive anymore. They're great.

As for your concern about the GPU and wireless card in a mATX case, don't be worried. I have a TV tuner and a GTX 760 in a mATX case/motherboard, and I couldn't be happier. I have been building my own computers since 2000, and I was adamant about always getting a full sized ATX case, but after reading this thread, I realized that all the reasons this used to make sense don't make sense anymore. Sound, network, and plenty of I/O ports are routinely built into the board now.

Veskit posted:

Hi everyone, I'm eyeballing 2 solid state drives and trying to figure out which one to get. Can someone explain the 40 dollar difference between the Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA and PNY XLR8 SATA 6Gbps 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive?

I know the evo is highly rated over the PNY, but I'm wondering what value is gained over getting the evo. Thanks everyone.

The XLR8 is an OK SSD (the SSD thread is fine with it). The evo will have better quality NAND, meaning it will likely be more reliable. It also likely has better firmware. I believe they have different controllers, but don't know off the top of my head. The combination of those will increase performance. If you're super budget constrained, you could probably go with the XLR8, but there is a real difference between the two.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

Why are you so against an SSD? They're really great.

Honestly it was the newegg reviews scaring me off. I dont want to drop 80 dollars on a piece of hardware that can potentially fail in a few months.

I will probably include that samsung that was linked in my build though. I guess ill look into microatx cases too, im just kinda worried about that monster videocard fitting in one.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Squirrel007 posted:

Honestly it was the newegg reviews scaring me off. I dont want to drop 80 dollars on a piece of hardware that can potentially fail in a few months.

I will probably include that samsung that was linked in my build though. I guess ill look into microatx cases too, im just kinda worried about that monster videocard fitting in one.

No new computer should be without an SSD. They are just such a huge upgrade that has an impact on everything you do on a computer, even if it's just a 120GB EVO for $80 to put your OS and apps on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maia
Aug 15, 2003

Sweet.
First off, thank you guys so much for all the advice. We picked out a build we're happy with and we're starting to put it together now! The regulars in this thread don't have to sit here answering dumb questions from a bunch of hardware dummies but you still do. So thanks for that.

I ended up going with an MSI GTX 770. Felt like it would work great for what we wanted. But I'm wondering about the PSU (ended up getting a Seasonic G Series 550W). Went back through the thread, and everybody seems to be of the opinion that that power supply is perfectly adequate for a GTX 770. But the documentation on this GPU calls for a minimum 600W power supply. Should I be concerned here?

• Locked thread