Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Many providers will let you retroactively file claims as long as the procedure was done after you applied. Dont gently caress around with mouth infections.
But I don't want to get the fillings and then turn around and owe $600 if Medi-Cal won't retroactively pay for it. I don't know if they will or if they won't, but I'd rather not take any chances and just wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Benny the Snake posted:

But I don't want to get the fillings and then turn around and owe $600 if Medi-Cal won't retroactively pay for it. I don't know if they will or if they won't, but I'd rather not take any chances and just wait.

Ask.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Benny the Snake posted:

Call them, ask.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I had a filling that broke and I couldn't afford to replace it at the time because I had no insurance. Eventually my face swelled up an incredible amount and an absess grew and I had to go the emergency room.

Go now, before it gets to that point.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Benny the Snake posted:

What specifically do you now know from Medi-Cal?

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!
They definitely will not retroactively pay for a service that was billed before he was covered. I'm curious to know who these many providers who offer this type of coverage are. As far as I'm aware, the state of Maryland is the only insurance provider offering such a scheme, and that was only as part of a one-week special enrollment to help people who had tried to sign up on the exchange site when it was brand new and buggy.

lexan fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 18, 2014

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Benny the Snake posted:

I found out from Medi-Cal that my application is still being processed and since they'll cover the cheap fillings, I'm going to wait until it's finalized. I've cancelled my appointments until then. The pain isn't so bad that I need the procedures done right now, I can wait.

If you've got normal medical coverage, then go and see your doctor. They can at least give you antibiotics and painkillers to stop things getting worse while you're waiting for dental treatment (dentists often need to do this anyway before they can do anything if an infection is causing the problem but it can be cheaper to get your doctor to do it).

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

lexan posted:

They definitely will not retroactively pay for a service that was billed before he was covered. I'm curious to know who these many providers who offer this type of coverage are. As far as I'm aware, the state of Maryland is the only insurance provider offering such a scheme, and that was only as part of a one-week special enrollment to help people who had tried to sign up on the exchange site when it was brand new and buggy.

Medicaid does as far as I know, in NYstate at least. I could be wrong.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Araenna posted:

Medicaid does as far as I know, in NYstate at least. I could be wrong.

Huh, I'll be darned. Thanks. Sorry, I'll shut up now.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

lexan posted:

A lot of employer-provided policies will do this if you opt in to coverage outside of the normal enrollment period - like if you begin employment after the enrollment period closes. I had a blood test my wife had done while I was unemployed in January of 2013 covered by my policy with my current employer, who I started with a month later and didn't finalize signing up for insurance for a month after that.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Lolie posted:

If you've got normal medical coverage, then go and see your doctor. They can at least give you antibiotics and painkillers to stop things getting worse while you're waiting for dental treatment (dentists often need to do this anyway before they can do anything if an infection is causing the problem but it can be cheaper to get your doctor to do it).
I don't have bad pain and I don't have any kind of infection so I can wait for now. I just have to keep brushing twice a day and flossing once a day. Oh, and avoid chewing gum. By the way, last Saturday I gave grandpa a stack of National Geographics that I bought from the library. He can't read them, but he really likes the pictures. I wish I could get him a subscription to National Geographic en Espaņol. It's better than the NRA hunting magazines that he gets. Yeah, he can't read English and he used to hunt when he was younger, but that poo poo is propaganda.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 20, 2014

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
That was a nice thing you did for your Grandpa. Is your job going well? I don't know poo poo about tooth surgery.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Benny, if it's not an emergency then why would you initially schedule the surgery during the same hours as your part-time job?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Benny the Snake posted:

Yeah, he can't read English and he used to hunt when he was younger, but that poo poo is propaganda.

Not if he can't read it it isn't

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
One of my coworkers was part of the NRA. His membership helped him out when he shot someone who tried to rob him over 20 dollars. The NRA is super awesome and totally not a propaganda organization.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

One of my coworkers was part of the NRA. His membership helped him out when he shot someone who tried to rob him over 20 dollars. The NRA is super awesome and totally not a propaganda organization.

[derail incoming]

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Benny the Snake posted:

Like others have said, call and ask. This is a fundamental part of being an adult - using resources at hand to gather information so you can make informed decisions. Learning how to follow up on things and research things is an important part of that. Yeah it takes effort, but that's life.

If you don't know something Benny, then find it out. Do what you can to get an answer. Just doing nothing at all is willful ignorance - you could easily learn this detail but you just don't want to, because it's much easier for you to be passive and wait instead - it feels like less effort.

Most people would consider that lazy. Like, you can't even put in the effort to pick up the loving phone?

If it helps, think of yourself as a dogged detective looking to get to the bottom of a tough case*. Did you explore every lead, examine every detail? No? Then keep going. You're not done until you've exhausted every last possibility (and even then, if you don't get the info it's not a 'well you did your best' situation - detectives care about results, and not getting results is considered a personal failure, regardless of the reason). Ask yourself - would Sam Spade give up in this situation? No, he would look up the phone number for the insurance company and call - and hell, he woulda had way less resources to find it. All you need to do is google it.

* this is legit how I mentally work myself up when I hit walls on getting info/etc but need to keep going. It works really well, for me at least.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 19, 2014

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Benny the Snake posted:

It's be better

Benny do you spellcheck the stuff you write for work? Or do you just wing it, because maybe the listings aren't for real and you'll just have to take them down tomorrow?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Benny, is this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6qKASEpUjo

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

That drat Satyr posted:

Benny do you spellcheck the stuff you write for work? Or do you just wing it, because maybe the listings aren't for real and you'll just have to take them down tomorrow?
I'm careless, that's what it is.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm careless, that's what it is.

But not this careless when you're posting things for your job, right?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

CravingSolace posted:

But not this careless when you're posting things for your job, right?

Heheheh.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
You can put it off for a good while but whatever you do don't let those fillings turn into root canals. Trust me.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Benny, have you ever read a book called A Confederacy of Dunces?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Pfirti86 posted:

Benny, have you ever read a book called A Confederacy of Dunces?
Yes, I have. I've mentioned it before that I'm a hair away from being Ignatius G Reilly.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Benny the Snake posted:

Yes, I have. I've mentioned it before that I'm a hair away from being Ignatius G Reilly.

Didn't Reilly get a bunch of PhDs?

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Obdicut posted:

Didn't Reilly get a bunch of PhDs?

He had a masters in something (probably history) from Tulane.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
One of the things that separates me from Ignatius is that I don't write nearly as much as he does. Speaking of which, what does everyone think about my recent TD submission?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Did you call & find out about the fillings?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Any word from Medi-Cal Benny? Specifics.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
It's good that you're writing again but that isn't going to distract most of the thread, dude. If you haven't called yet, tell the truth and explain why. If you're anxious about it, there are people with the patience to give you advice on how to handle your anxiety. I personally put things like that off because I don't want to find out, so I can enjoy the possibility of things going my way a little longer. It's understandable, but seriously. If you don't take care of your teeth they will get bad, really bad, in a surprisingly short time. A chick I know with weird issues has gone from having crooked-as-hell teeth, to braces, to an amazing, Hollywood smile, and then back to never smiling because she didn't take care of her goddamn teeth and now they look visibly unhealthy.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
That was a terrible story benny. Sorry.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Hey guys, I know my teeth are rotting out of my head, but have you read my story about talking birds and asthmatic children?

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Magnus Gallant posted:

That was a terrible story benny. Sorry.

it was incredibly cliche

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

oval office raja posted:

it was incredibly cliche

I don't really get it. So a bird flew around this kid and now he isn't going to kill himself? Why does it matter that the bird is female? What? Things happen to the character and the character does stuff, but it just comes across as incredibly flat. Everything is just incredibly bland and undetailed. I know nothing about this character or their environment so how can I care about their actions or consequences?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Benny, all of your stories are clearly just filled with misplaced anger. Are you still mad at people that bullied you as a kid or something because it comes off that way and it makes it kind of weird. You also go way too hard on the simile and you overload on adjectives where they are completely unnecessary. Stop trying to constantly over-describe things and just say what they are.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

It's a thing for beginning writers to try too hard on writing complicated, and they forget to actually write a story worth reading.

Benny, as a challenge to yourself, try to write your next story without any adjectives or adverbs. This forces you to not describe things, but to use nouns and verbs, which are really the meat of a story. Every time I write an adjective/adverb I ask myself: "Is this necessary?" If not, axe it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Benny, it's great that you're starting to write again. Also, your prose is gradually improving, though see crabrock's comments. Watch out for said-bookisms, which you used in the shouting match between the parents -- we know, based on the words they used, that they were shouted/screeched, you don't need to tell us that.

But most importantly, start looking into plot. Your story spent 3/4 of its words on background before it finally got to the "and then one day" part, and at that point the entire plot resolved in a single paragraph. In a story this short, you shouldn't get past the first paragraph without the main character acquiring a need for something. The rest of the story should then be about their quest to fulfil that need (be it successful or not).

Here's a link that may help: http://www.aerogrammestudio.com/2013/03/22/the-story-spine-pixars-4th-rule-of-storytelling/

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Benny the Snake posted:

I got back from the dentist. I need five fillings for five cavities. I'm also getting a wisdom tooth pulled out because it's giving me pain. All the procedures, plus a cleaning and today's examination, will cost me about $700. It would've cost me about $200 more if I didn't opt for cheaper fillings. In fact, if I was under Medi-Cal, the cheap fillings would be covered. Here's the thing: it was my Mom who applied the whole family for Medi-Cal, so she's the only one who can find out the status of our application. I could've applied on my own and avoided all this but she insisted that we do it as a family so we could all share the costs. It sounded like a good idea at the time, I guess.

I got an excuse note signed by the doctor so I can give it to my manager tomorrow. I'm scheduled for this Friday, next Tuesday, and next Friday for the procedures. I'm saving the tooth extraction and cleaning for last. Fortunately, the doctor prescribes Motrin, so it should be cheap.

I've gotten back into blog writing now that I have money to go out and review movies. It's only a hobby for now, but I like it. I'm having difficulty finding time for Thunderdome, though. I really wanted to enter the epidemic round since I had a really good idea, but I was too busy.

Benny the Snake posted:

One of the things that separates me from Ignatius is that I don't write nearly as much as he does. Speaking of which, what does everyone think about my recent TD submission?

Hahahahahahahahaha never change benny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Holy gently caress this thread is still going.

• Locked thread