Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
They did in the video.

Eras sadly aren't quite what you might expect. Colonial era lasts as long as you're a colony, then when you successfully revolt/buy out you enter the world war era. I don't remember how they said you got out of that but then the cold war era is advanced with either a space or nuclear program. The modern era is infinite.

So it's more of a tech tree thing like a RTS then the actual passage of time itself. Or at least, that's what the dev-preview implied. I suppose this means you could have a colonial nation and a modern one on the same island in multiplayer if you managed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm reminded of the Tropico 4 mission where to rise to prominence, you have to find a way for Europe to consider your island a colony, and artificially revolt to get international support as a sovereign nation. It was very silly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dream Attack posted:

From that video it looks like all the jobs can have both male and female employees (at least in the era they were showing) so that should make unemployment way less of a hassle.

I wonder if Tropicans will figure out the concept of housemates or if the gay marriage edict will still be a must.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
That is not the Tropican way :colbert:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

They did in the video.

Eras sadly aren't quite what you might expect. Colonial era lasts as long as you're a colony, then when you successfully revolt/buy out you enter the world war era. I don't remember how they said you got out of that but then the cold war era is advanced with either a space or nuclear program. The modern era is infinite.

So it's more of a tech tree thing like a RTS then the actual passage of time itself. Or at least, that's what the dev-preview implied. I suppose this means you could have a colonial nation and a modern one on the same island in multiplayer if you managed it.

I kinda like it that way. Sometimes you don't want to deal with the unstoppable march of time; it's neat being able to build up with a lower "tech level" and completely explore that era until you're done with it and want to move forward at your own discretion.

Tropico's always been a series close to my heart thanks to being a native of a former Spanish colony. Plenty of times where I go "Hahahaha...man :smith:" when something hits a bit close to home.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Tehan posted:

That is not the Tropican way :colbert:

Why go through all the hassle of a roommate when you can just toss up a shack?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Today's shacks are tomorrow's mansions as long as we faithfully follow El Presidente!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

Tropico's always been a series close to my heart thanks to being a native of a former Spanish colony. Plenty of times where I go "Hahahaha...man :smith:" when something hits a bit close to home.

In Tropico 3 I was going for 0 shacks and there was one like 68 year old farmer lady from Mexico, I think, that built a shack right on a hill. I'd demolish it, cause I had SS, free houses, and tons of vacancies. She'd rebuild it. I'd demolish it. This happened like 5 times until I ordered a mansion built on top of the shack. She waited until the mansion was finished and built her shack in its back yard.

gently caress you Emilia.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Darkhold posted:

Yeah logging camp + mines were already a money printing press and they have a much quicker return than a plantation anyway. You could always go from them straight to industry and skip cash crops altogether if you wanted to.

The DLC didn't break the game any more than it was already broken.

For complete :effort: way to easy money you can drop one of modern times inexhaustible mines on gold vein as the first move. As sandbox Tropico 4 is ridiculously easy, that's why every mission puts in some restrictions and/or throws nasty events at you.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

In Tropico 3 I was going for 0 shacks and there was one like 68 year old farmer lady from Mexico, I think, that built a shack right on a hill. I'd demolish it, cause I had SS, free houses, and tons of vacancies. She'd rebuild it. I'd demolish it. This happened like 5 times until I ordered a mansion built on top of the shack. She waited until the mansion was finished and built her shack in its back yard.

gently caress you Emilia.
That's when you send out the police/military to solve the problem.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Poil posted:

That's when you send out the police/military to solve the problem.

This was my first reaction too. Viva Tropico!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gamerofthegame posted:

I suppose this means you could have a colonial nation and a modern one on the same island in multiplayer if you managed it.

So true to real life then (well, I guess it'd be cold war and colonial but still).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like a lot of what I'm seeing, but also hate a lot of what I'm seeing. Well dislike.
I always liked the idea that you were a crappy struggling banana republic. What the gently caress is any tiny little Caribbean tinpot dictator doing with a full aircraft carrier? I know it makes having air support easy but would just having an airbase building be that much harder? A lot of poo poo in the game just seems out of place for the setting and scale, like the skyscrapers I mentioned before too. They seem so out of place, no one was ever building buildings like that in the region, let alone in some tiny 100-person colony. Obviously poo poo is abstracted to hell but it just throws any sort of believability to the scale out the window. Do the models really need to be so tall? Do those buildings actually have occupancy or employment that much larger than other buildings or did the devs just think it looked cool?

I really hope the game is a bit easier (ie possible) to mod vs previous tropicos. So much of what was wrong with previous games could have so easily been fixed with simple mods. Decrease the value of this and that, increase the capacity of this and the cost of that.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

For complete :effort: way to easy money you can drop one of modern times inexhaustible mines on gold vein as the first move. As sandbox Tropico 4 is ridiculously easy, that's why every mission puts in some restrictions and/or throws nasty events at you.

Borehole mines aren't available until 1973. So no, you can't put one down as the first move.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mayodreams posted:

This was my first reaction too. Viva Tropico!

I always arrest people. Because at least that way I get some earning power back.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I always arrest people. Because at least that way I get some earning power back.

If you don't flip a coin you really aren't doing it right. :colbert:

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need to try that. El Presidente is always fair.

I play a bit capitalisticly though. I actually find it easier to just not bother with the religious faction at all. The risk of having them hilariously dominant, in addition to their buildings being expensive, non productive, and generally just poo poo, its easier to convert people to other factions and then kick them off the island. All the other factions are easy to please and the stuff they want is all good for the economy. Seriously, the religious faction doesn't have a single thing that benefits your society. Can you imagine how many extra houses you have to have without gay marriage? jesus.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

I always seem to end up with a ton of rum distilleries and a hilariously big army/police force. Booze and guns solve all of El Presidente’s Tropico’s problems.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I like a lot of what I'm seeing, but also hate a lot of what I'm seeing. Well dislike.
I always liked the idea that you were a crappy struggling banana republic. What the gently caress is any tiny little Caribbean tinpot dictator doing with a full aircraft carrier? I know it makes having air support easy but would just having an airbase building be that much harder? A lot of poo poo in the game just seems out of place for the setting and scale, like the skyscrapers I mentioned before too. They seem so out of place, no one was ever building buildings like that in the region, let alone in some tiny 100-person colony. Obviously poo poo is abstracted to hell but it just throws any sort of believability to the scale out the window. Do the models really need to be so tall? Do those buildings actually have occupancy or employment that much larger than other buildings or did the devs just think it looked cool?

I really hope the game is a bit easier (ie possible) to mod vs previous tropicos. So much of what was wrong with previous games could have so easily been fixed with simple mods. Decrease the value of this and that, increase the capacity of this and the cost of that.

It's a silly game that's extremely tongue in cheek. And entirely optional this time, unlike four where upgrading is mandatory. Why wouldn't El Presidente have the best in the world, anyway?

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
Here's a review of the first two era stuff by TotalBiscuit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nft1D74EHv4&t=14s

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Haven't watched the totalbiscuit video yet, but one thing struck me in the twitch clip earlier. The voice acting seemed way worse than in 4. I mean yeah, it's not exactly a big deal, but Sunny and Penultimo just had so much personality that I wasn't really feeling from the new ones...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Strategic Tea posted:

Haven't watched the totalbiscuit video yet, but one thing struck me in the twitch clip earlier. The voice acting seemed way worse than in 4. I mean yeah, it's not exactly a big deal, but Sunny and Penultimo just had so much personality that I wasn't really feeling from the new ones...

I was hoping maybe it wasn't the final voice work, but with the game coming out so soon...

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So is there anyone who did beta that can comment on this? I dont want to waste my cash on another Sim City...

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

You could, you know, just wait like us poor people do for sales and the post-release reviews that come with time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sorry video games have moved to a new marketing system where you have to pre-order. After a game comes out no one can buy it, this is to punish those without faith or those who refuse to take risks. At least this is the only explanation as to why people keep buying video games the don't like.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

alarumklok posted:

You could, you know, just wait like us poor people do for sales and the post-release reviews that come with time.

Yeah, Rhonyn Peacemaker. Why are you trying to get early opinions? Just wait until 2055 when all the developers are dead. That's when the real retrospecting can begin.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Early info about SC2013 was sunshine and rainbows except for a few naysayers who were shouted down. Isn't it just easier to wait even a week for people to actually play the finished game? You don't have to wait until it's a $2 bargain bin game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

According to the Total Biscuit video (where did those 50 minutes go?) they have totally gutted character creation. :(
But despite that it looked pretty fun.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Poil posted:

According to the Total Biscuit video (where did those 50 minutes go?) they have totally gutted character creation. :(
But despite that it looked pretty fun.

That's weird, I thought they'd put a greater emphasis on your character with this whole dynasty thing. Or is it just something lame like "choose between successor that gives +1 to your troops or successor who gives +5% to farming" and that's that?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

That's weird, I thought they'd put a greater emphasis on your character with this whole dynasty thing. Or is it just something lame like "choose between successor that gives +1 to your troops or successor who gives +5% to farming" and that's that?
Not quite. If I understood it correctly you just pick one (and only one) trait for eternal presidente and the other dynasty members also only pick one trait. No background, no rise to power, very few selection of traits and so on.

There's probably going to be more traits with those wonderful and priceworthy dlc's however. And if you buy them at anything more than half price you're a bloody fool with more money than sense. Also I hate you. :colbert:

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 17, 2014

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Poil posted:

Not quite. If I understood it correctly you just pick one (and only one) trait for eternal presidente and the other dynasty members also only pick one trait. No background, no rise to power, very few selection of traits and so on.

There's probably going to be more traits with those wonderful and priceworthy dlc's however. And if you buy them at anything more than half price you're a bloody fool with more money than sense. Also I hate you. :colbert:

From the previews I've seen it seems like dynasty members get one universal trait that applies to your island and one trait that's for when they're the manager of a specific building. And it seems you can level their traits up using your swiss bank account.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

More to the point they removed a fair amount of customization options, or at least didn't port/remake them.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

More to the point they removed a fair amount of customization options, or at least didn't port/remake them.

The constitution seems like a replacement for leader traits.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It did, but that's not what I was referring to. The trait system is obviously fairly replaced, but the actual content for physical appearances are less. The Total Biscuit video has him murmuring about it for like twenty minutes because he's a idiot, but he's kinda right.

It's all small stuff for a negligible portion of the game, tho.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The lack of difficulty still seems to be an issue, with how pissing off the crown just gets you several pats on the head and a token invasion. On the other hand it seems like factions are more directly in opposition to each other now so just building an utopia where everyone is happy might not be as easy now.

On the other hand I like how being corrupt actually has an use since the Swiss bank account can buy upgrades. I'm just hoping there's actually a reason to be a tyrannical dictator this time around too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Having corruption be a huge drain on the economy and present in the almanac was a nice touch.

I find it hilarious that you can side with the axis in ww2. The US would surely appreciate having a small Caribbean island neighbor exporting steel to the Wehrmacht and would certainly not hold a grudge when the war was over. Well. Until they received the reports of a division of panzers with the proud Tropican Steel logo which fell apart and broke before the assembly was even finished due to inferior materials. The great Tropican diplomats would cunningly spin it into deliberate sabotage to help the allies and incidentally would they be interested in purchasing some weapons for the cold war?

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Oh my, I seem to have missed this, and game is actually coming out in like two days.

Would there still be people up for a 4-pack?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope they give some good advantage to siding with the axis in WWII. We of course know Germany will lose and the US will emerge supreme, and a tiny little axis-aligned island off the coast of Florida would not see its self in the US's good books. So what possible reason would a player have for siding with the axis? Or perhaps between ages all bets are off and the slate is wiped clean. It's not like the US wouldn't forgive and forget literal nazi's if it means advantage against the Soviets.

And do we know what the situation will be like in modern times? No sides, just various countries with no either/or alliances?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Sayara posted:

Oh my, I seem to have missed this, and game is actually coming out in like two days.

Would there still be people up for a 4-pack?

If this Greenmangaming coupon still works, it's probably your best deal.

primelaw posted:

Greenmangaming has a deal going on right now where you can preorder for $35.99, and if you use ALFIS4-GRATZ0-025GMG before Monday, you get another 25% off, bringing it down to $27

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/simulation/tropico-5/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Baronjutter posted:

I hope they give some good advantage to siding with the axis in WWII. We of course know Germany will lose and the US will emerge supreme, and a tiny little axis-aligned island off the coast of Florida would not see its self in the US's good books. So what possible reason would a player have for siding with the axis?
Maybe doing so will unlock an alternate timeline where the Nazis won.

• Locked thread